PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone *not* oil their hair?

mwallingford
August 28th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Hello fellow longhairs!
I know this subject goes against a lot of the tips that are given on the LHC, but does anyone not oil their hair? I oiled my length for a long time, and my super straight hair always looked flat and limp. When I stopped using oil, that went away and I now have body and movement in my hair again. (I admittedly don't know for certain if it was stopping the oil or the paraben free conditioner I switched to that caused this change). Is it because my hair is super straight, or something with hair porosity that makes it not work for me? I wear my hair in a lazy wrap bun or a nautilus everyday (still looking for more styles I can do on slightly past waist length hair :knit:) and I have never used heat on it, but I have no idea if that really matters or not. Sorry for my rambling and lack of organization to this thread, I've just been curious for a really long time. I know oiling for moisture and protection becomes more important as the hair gets older, but my hair doesn't seem to do well with lots of moisture, it just sits on the hair until I wash it off. Thanks to anyone who reads and/or responds!!!
-Michaela

DweamGoiL
August 28th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I have fine hair and it does not tolerate heavy conditioners or oils. I usually use a tiny amount of Monoi Oil on the ends on damp hair when I first wash and that's pretty much it. Other than that, I steer clear of anything that will weigh my hair down. The only exception is when I go on vacation (to the beach or I know I am going to be for out for long periods in the Caribbean sun). Hair and scalp is just very individual.

hayheadsbird
August 28th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I avoid oiling my hair. I did try a few times, but always managed to over do it, so stopped!

trolleypup
August 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Coarse hair, I don't oil...I didn't find much benefit, and it makes my hair more attractive to lint and dust.

HairPlease
August 28th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I don't oil. I keep most oil as far away from my body as possible - just looking at it makes my already severe acne problem flare up into painful spots. I just use lots of conditioner, and even some leave-in stuff I've found to not cause acne flare-ups.
Some oils don't make me break out for some reason but they never seem to do anything good for my hair anyway. Call me a weirdo, but hey, one man's treasure is another man's trash! :lol:

mwallingford
August 28th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! trolleypup, you're hair is super long (and pretty), so it's good to hear that you don't really need oil even at your length. hayheadsbird, I totally know what you mean about overdoing it! That may very well have been what I was doing, but I always get carried away and then highly regret it later when I have to wash it out. Thanks for the super quick responses everyone! :flowers:

Arctic
August 28th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I don't oil other than very occasionally adding some to my deep treatment (few drops) or even more occasionally testing something like rinse out oiling (again a few drops). My hair actually loves oiling, it's my skin that rebels against it, so I've given it up.

Lavendersugar
August 28th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I don't oil. I have oiled or done oil treatments a lot in the past and my hair dislikes it.

Now I do like Dr Bronners hair creme after the shower to seal in water for moisture.

lapushka
August 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I sometimes do the rinse-out oil method (link w/explanation of that method is in my signature), but that's about the only time I use oil, and I don't always do that method. So a lot of my washes I'm without oil. Do use a serum in my LOC method (for styling) though, so if that counts as an oil. I used to replace that with an oil, but it's been a long time, ever since I discovered a favorite serum.

KittyBird
August 28th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I don't oil. I used to put a few drops of apricot kernel oil on damp hair when my hair was long, but I stopped after the big chop. I haven't done a pre-wash oiling or heavy oiling in years, and I never do deep treatments either. :p

Cg
August 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Very rarely I use one drop to oil just the tips, but only to avoid wasting the argan oil. Likely it'll end up in the trash anyway since it makes no difference to my hair.

lapushka
August 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Very rarely I use one drop to oil just the tips, but only to avoid wasting the argan oil. Likely it'll end up in the trash anyway since it makes no difference to my hair.

Maybe the one drop isn't enough? Maybe try a little more.

Stepo_NiNha
August 28th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I dont oil. My hair dislikes oils. If it doesnt work for you, dont use it.

Nique1202
August 28th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I use an oil-and-silicone serum not just an oil, but I only oil the section above my nape from root to tip because it tangles more than any other section, and the rest of my hair I focus the oil on the ends, with a little bit from the shoulders down. My scalp makes enough sebum already that my hair looks greasy after 3-4 days, it definitely doesn't need help from oils or conditioners.

A lot of straight-haired folks and fine-haired folks do find that oil makes their hair look limp and gross. If you don't like what it does to your hair, you don't have to use it, or you can try something else if you feel like there's still potential for something to help. Leave it up to your hair, switch one item in your routine at a time and pay attention to how it reacts. That'll give all the answers anyone needs.

Frankenstein
August 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I don't think my hair really likes oils but I use them every few weeks (pre-wash) because I have a lot of them and I don't want to use them for cooking. At some point I'll probably just stop using them since they don't seem to really do anything.

Cg
August 28th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Maybe the one drop isn't enough? Maybe try a little more.

At first I did use more. The result was a greasy mess. I gradually reduced the amount, but really my hair simply doesn't need or want any oiling.

lapushka
August 28th, 2016, 04:20 PM
At first I did use more. The result was a greasy mess. I gradually reduced the amount, but really my hair simply doesn't need or want any oiling.

Oh well, you tried! Maybe it's the type of oil? Have you tried other oils yet?

Cg
August 28th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Oh well, you tried! Maybe it's the type of oil? Have you tried other oils yet?

Yes, I'm a sucker and tried just about every oil. Since I almost never have any split ends or breakage, the ends appear healthy, and the scalp and hair all seem fine, I'm guessing oils just aren't a need for me.

EdG
August 28th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I don't oil my hair. The trick to making this work is not to wash out completely all of one's natural oils.
Ed

MsBubbles
August 28th, 2016, 07:51 PM
I gave up on oils about 2 years ago and have not noticed a difference in my hair (except perhaps having less of it fall out due to it all sticking together). Oils never seemed to do anything for my hair.

Deborah
August 28th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I don't use any oils or conditioners or any of the other conditioner-like items discussed on the forum. I'm sure there are lots of us who don't.

pailin
August 28th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I think straight haired people in general seem not to tolerate oils. I use them, but I stick to light ones for my fine hair. And I wash daily so I could use the extra protection, and lint isn't a problem for me. If your hair is healthy without it, and looks better without oiling, then don't use them and don't feel guilty about it.

school of fish
August 28th, 2016, 10:19 PM
I'm another one who doesn't use oils. There are plenty of us :)

I stopped beating a dead horse after much experimentation with multiple oils and application methods. Virtually all of them left my hair sticky, stringy and greasy, even when used in microscopic quantities -deeply unpleasant.

The ONLY type of oiling my hair will tolerate is the rinse-out method using 5 drops or less of mineral or jojoba oil - and I only do that twice a week during the dry winter months to counteract static. I barely even consider it oiling since the amount of oil remaining after the rinse-out is so miniscule.

If reasonable experimentation keeps producing unsatisfactory results, there's a good chance your hair just doesn't want or need oils. No shame in that - just think of it as having simplified your routine ;)

laceyfairy
August 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I used to use coconut oil but then my jar went missing and I didn't feel like buying more. It's just enough of a hassle to deter me while still making me feel lazy for not buying the oil

Miss P
August 28th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I oil pre-wash which does make my hair lovely and soft. But I don't really oil it post wash because it made my hair too stringy. Instead I've been using a tiny amount Loreal Oil-in-cream which is super light and doesn't weigh my hair down.

lapushka
August 29th, 2016, 03:20 AM
Yes, I'm a sucker and tried just about every oil. Since I almost never have any split ends or breakage, the ends appear healthy, and the scalp and hair all seem fine, I'm guessing oils just aren't a need for me.

Well at least now you know! That's worth a lot.

I can use oils in moderation. Not and never as a pre-poo (does nothing), but for the rinse-out oil method, it works and instead of a serum for styling in the LOC method, it works too (even though I have found a good serum now and rather use that).

Upside Down
August 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
I sometimes (like once a month or once in two months even) mix conditioner, oil and maybe egg and use that as a deep treatment.

Other than that, I wash my scalp only so I use conditioner on my bangs and a bit on the hair that is wet (makes it all more manageable), and I use Nightblooming salve on my ends, but I am not that diligent about it.

Tosca
August 29th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I only use oils on the length of my hair when it is being uncooperative, maybe once every few months, and then only a tiny bit. I tend to use olive oil, as we always have it in the house, no other reason.

(Sorry if my sentences don't work, it's late and I'm tired)

Silverbleed
August 29th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Currently I only pre-oil before I take a shower. That's it, really. I used to use jojoba once in a while, but I've been using it for my face much more often than for my hair lmao.

mishelle
August 29th, 2016, 08:46 AM
My hair is a bit to thin for oils, it tends to make my strands clump together even if I only use a tiny amount.

Johannah
August 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I'm trying to oil my hair now before washing it but honestly... Last couple of years I only used oil in winter and that's it. I cannot stand it in my hair as a leave-in. I tried it several time but nope nope nope.

Cg
August 29th, 2016, 10:51 AM
It's always good to know what works and what doesn't. Experimenting has been useful, and I've tried lots of stuff discussed in these threads for care (nothing to change the color or texture, though). Now I know just what my hair wants and how it behaves. Except when random hair trolls interfere, but that isn't often.

Thank you to everyone who has talked about your routines!

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2016, 11:43 AM
As I just mentioned in the minimalist thread...I need to re-evaluate my usage!

I started during a bout of extreme Winter dryness and continued throughout the year without reconsideration; it also helped with humidity frizz.

But there are days when my hair looks darker and clumpy after bunning, and I wonder if I am using too much now; I tend to use things 'preventatively' :hmm:

Perhaps I will use it in Winter when the flyaways start, and after using silver/clarifying shampoos (cutting back on those products too).

Time to experiment; my hair and wallet will thank me :cheer:

vampyyri
August 29th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I have a few, but I rarely use them as a way to make my braids a bit more sleek looking. They don't do much for me other than well, making things shiny :lol:

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I have a few, but I rarely use them as a way to make my braids a bit more sleek looking. They don't do much for me other than well, making things shiny :lol:

Now that is something I always forget to do....or at least dampen my hair; instead I fight with dry fluffy fine tangles :doh:
Needless to say I don't braid my hair often these days :p

samanthaa
August 29th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I oil my hair but I can't actually tell if it doesn't anything to help or not. For example: I just did an overnight avocado oiling on Friday. Washed it out the next day. Hair felt exactly the same.

mwallingford
August 29th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I'm another one who doesn't use oils. There are plenty of us :)

I stopped beating a dead horse after much experimentation with multiple oils and application methods. Virtually all of them left my hair sticky, stringy and greasy, even when used in microscopic quantities -deeply unpleasant.

The ONLY type of oiling my hair will tolerate is the rinse-out method using 5 drops or less of mineral or jojoba oil - and I only do that twice a week during the dry winter months to counteract static. I barely even consider it oiling since the amount of oil remaining after the rinse-out is so miniscule.

If reasonable experimentation keeps producing unsatisfactory results, there's a good chance your hair just doesn't want or need oils. No shame in that - just think of it as having simplified your routine ;)

Aww, thanks for your input! :flower: And that's exactly what my hair does too! It gets all stringy and flat even when I use a little bit and it took me about three washes to get everything completely washed out. I've never heard of the rinse out method before... sounds like it might be worth trying during the winter time.

mwallingford
August 29th, 2016, 02:56 PM

I hadn't even thought about that! Do you put a little bit of oil in your hair and then braid, or braid and add oil overtop of that? Sorry if that sentence doesn't make any sense, I just came back from the first day of being a senior and am too overwhelmed to think too much about sentence structure :rip:.

meteor
August 29th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I rarely feel the need to use oil these days, my hair just doesn't seem to need it, and I like stretching washes, so I'd rather avoid the lint-attracting effect that oils have. I do oil in winter-time (when it's extremely dry where I live), but other than that, not so much...

Now, if I swam in chlorinated pools or bleached my hair or washed my hair very frequently, I'd certainly pre-treat with oil, but these things don't apply to me, so I only oil on ad-hoc basis, when my ends feel dry or something. I sometimes like spreading just a few drops on dry hair or adding oil to conditioner or doing oil rinses, but I very rarely seem to need these things. :)

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I rarely feel the need to use oil these days, my hair just doesn't seem to need it, and I like stretching washes, so I'd rather avoid the lint-attracting effect that oils have. I do oil in winter-time (when it's extremely dry where I live), but other than that, not so much...

Now, if I swam in chlorinated pools or bleached my hair or washed my hair very frequently, I'd certainly pre-treat with oil, but these things don't apply to me, so I only oil on ad-hoc basis, when my ends feel dry or something. I sometimes like spreading just a few drops on dry hair or adding oil to conditioner or doing oil rinses, but I very rarely seem to need these things. :)

I had no idea about that aspect...at.all; no wonder I was always picking lint out of my BBB :doh:
As I mentioned earlier, I will try the 'minimal' philosophy for a while... vs using products to 'prevent' problems.

ETA: I did my Joico Moisture S&C in high humidity with NO OIL on the ends....and my hair was fine.
In fact it detangled EASIER and I had no frizz at all :doh:
So I will drop that practice; not that I used a heck of alot (4-6 drops max/1-2x a week) LOL

If I have any frizz or Winter dryness/flyaways, rosewater and a glycerin spritz/scrunch works great on my hair; and I always have that on hand for use for my body after showering or freshening up.

Stormynights
August 29th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I just started oiling my hair and I love it. Mineral oil did nothing for me at all but now I am trying different oils and I am liking a lot of them. I am a retired hair stylist and I couldn't even stand the thought of oily hair. My hair is very fine and porous like bleached hair but it has absolutely no harsh chemicals of any kind on it. I do protein and conditioning treatments occasionally. I kept reading about oils so a friend sent me a little bottle and I loved it. Eventually I soaked my wet hair in a coconut oil mix and never washed it out. I even put a little Shea butter in the mix. My hair only felt oily on the first day. I think A lot of the oil ended up on the old tee shirt I put my hair up in. Now I have been using a few drops at a time and I am loving it. So far so good. I never put oil on my scalp.

dansyl
August 29th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I need to oil my hair more than I do. It's damaged and soaks up oil like crazy. It does help though with frizz and shine

gossamer
August 29th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I haven't oiled in probably a year or two...

August 30th, 2016, 03:45 AM
I used to oil very heavily but that won't work with WO, lol. I tried completely not oiling on WO but my ends protested, now I only oil ends with couple drops... But if I'd do regular clarifying I'd HAVE to oil pre-wash. First harsh wash (egg yolk for example) after months of WO is fine but then problems start... If I oil pre-wash my hair are limp when oiled but regain volume and are super-sleek after a wash, I can even straighten them this way, it's amazing. But oil pisses me off, it's easy to smear clothing with it :/. So I just oil ends now and ends absorb oil after a while. I even don't do ends daily.

lapushka
August 30th, 2016, 04:01 AM
I haven't oiled in probably a year or two...

That's amazing, and actually proof enough that not everyone needs it for long tresses. :)

August 30th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Wow, in a year or two! Envy, envy...

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 30th, 2016, 06:03 AM
I'm 3b my hair loves oil but not such much coconut oil. Oiling keep my strands silky smooth and also brings out my curls. I don't need to detangle after my hair washes anymore. And this is cool. As I used to previously rip through my hair to get rid of tangles after a wash, it used to get like a matted mess.

julee
August 30th, 2016, 07:11 AM
My hair doesn't seem to like any oils I've tried, so I just stick to a leave in conditioner when I remember.

sarahthegemini
August 30th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I don't remember when I last oiled my hair. When I was first growing out damage, I used oils before and after washing but since cutting away all the damaged hair, I haven't felt the need. My hair isn't particularly porous, maybe that's why.

turtlelover
September 1st, 2016, 01:29 AM
I go through phases with oil, but since I started using henna, I have definitely reduced the amount of oil I am using.

Carolyn
September 1st, 2016, 06:53 AM
I'm another one who doesn't remember the last time I oiled my hair. My oils all went rancid and I threw them out and never replaced them. I still have baby oil and coconut oil but I use them for other things. I never did well with oiling freshly washed hair or between washes. I used to do a heavy over night oilings the night before I washed my hair but that has fallen by the wayside. I do much better with using heavy conditioners and wearing my hair up a lot. I used to be a lint magnet but that problem has resolved itself now that I am too lazy to oil my hair.

Liv
September 2nd, 2016, 12:04 AM
Coarse hair, I don't oil...I didn't find much benefit, and it makes my hair more attractive to lint and dust.

This. And I have tried a lot of oils.

embee
September 2nd, 2016, 05:25 AM
Oil? No way. My hair has natural oils and that is quite enough, thank you. :)

Entangled
September 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
I haven't notice a major difference between oiling (mineral oil, coconut oil) and not oiling, so I'll keep the oils to a coconut oil soak pre-wash.

ashke50
September 2nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
I have fine hair, it doesn't react badly to oils, but they don't seem to have much benefit over conditioner. I think I probably oiled once or twice in the last year, but rarely bother.
But I do use coconut and almond oil on my skin regularly!