PDA

View Full Version : Do fairy tale ends make your hair tangle more?

Shelley48
August 26th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Hi, I was wondering if having fairy tale ends vs a blunt cut makes you more suseptable to tangles?

Im just wondering if I cut my hair, maybe it'll be easier to brush sometimes. Anyone think there may be a relation? In my head it seems to make sense, but I could be wrong!

I haven't cut my hair in like 2 years... I've been thinking about it a lot lately, just kind of scared, don't trust anyone with my hair. I have to learn how to do it myself. Lol.

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I don't see any fairytaling in your avatar, TBH. :shrug: Just a nice blunt hemline.

Shelley48
August 26th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I don't see any fairytaling in your avatar, TBH. :shrug: Just a nice blunt hemline.

It doesn't look blunt to me in real life :( lol

The pic is kinda old too

LongCurlyTress
August 26th, 2016, 08:59 AM
For me???? Definitely YES!! :rolleyes:

missrandie
August 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Have you clarified your hair lately? Sometimes my ends get gunked up and start tangling, and a good clarify will help.

Do you have damage at the ends? Any splits or white dots?

Are your ends dry and crunchy?

What all have you tried on your ends?

In general, a cut will reset your ends,especially if they're damaged. However, you may not absolutely need to.

school of fish
August 26th, 2016, 09:54 AM
I believe it's highly individual. For me fairytale ends mean major tangling and friction, even in its best condition - I've learned that the hard way ;) My hair behaves best when ends are even with each other, and my current hair journey is focused on getting my current length back to blunt :)

There are plenty here though who can have fairytale ends without the tangling issues. Assuming that a person's hair is healthy and happy (i.e. solid routine in place, no need for clarifying, limited damage, etc.), I think beyond that it's a individual thing - some will find they tangle, others will find they won't :)

meteor
August 26th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Hi, I was wondering if having fairy tale ends vs a blunt cut makes you more suseptable to tangles?

Im just wondering if I cut my hair, maybe it'll be easier to brush sometimes. Anyone think there may be a relation? In my head it seems to make sense, but I could be wrong!

I haven't cut my hair in like 2 years... I've been thinking about it a lot lately, just kind of scared, don't trust anyone with my hair. I have to learn how to do it myself. Lol.

Yes, in my hair, after a certain length, when the ends are really old, there is definitely a connection between ends that have been freshly cut with extra sharp scissors (no angling and no razoring (http://image.slidesharecdn.com/forensics-hairfiberandpaintspatti-100905090611-phpapp02/95/forensicshair-fiber-and-paints-29-728.jpg?cb=1283677690)) and reduction in tangling. But it's not about specifically fairy tale ends for me, actually, as the shape doesn't seem to matter (though I'm still not 100% sure if some types of layers add to tangling or not), but just the freshness of the cut is definitely a factor for reducing tangles for me, just because the tips are a few years old and have to be the most tired, most over-manipulated and most porous part of the mane. Even the slightest trim/dusting makes combing noticeably easier for me.

That said, it doesn't mean that the solution is necessarily scissors, if you just want to reduce tangling. :flower: It just means that those ends might be high-maintenance, more demanding in terms of care: maybe even gentler detangling, less manipulation, wearing hair up more often, sleeping on silky materials, more clarifying and/or chelating, more deep treatments, more oiling or silicones or proteins, S&D if you get any split ends/white dots, etc.... etc

I'd try oiling the braid tassel for the night or a mini-LOC if your ends are feeling tangly between washes - running wet hands over the ends, followed with a tiny bit of oil and leave-in cream.

But if you do want to trim at some point and don't trust hairdressers, check out Faye's self-trim method (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) or Spidermom's method or JJJLongHair's photos for self-trim: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method or self-trim with a Crea-clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhK8iESTlI) or maybe research the ponytail method if you are looking for layers.

lu_yue
August 26th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I haven't trimmed my ends in 4 years and I haven't noticed any increase in tangled ends. I oil my ends everyday and the decrease in tangled ends is astounding. That's the main reason why I haven't trimmed: less tangles and splits. Oiling the ends everyday might be overkill for some, but as my ends have dye and chlorine damage (I was a competitive swimmer), it works fine. Wearing hair up everyday and making sure all tangles are out before putting it up helps a lot too.

Anje
August 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM
My ends taper a lot either way, but they're definitely fairytaled these days. I don't think they tangle more than they ever did. However, fairytale ends can be very weathered on many people, and rough ends DO tangle more. Mine are in good shape though, despite being as long as they are.

Definitely be aware of buildup (because ends tend to get all kinds of extra goop smeared on them). S&D them as needed, and generally be open to trial and error to figure out what keeps your ends happy. When what was working stops, clarify (concentrate the shampoo right at the ends where the worst buildup is!) and see if that fixes it.

Shepherdess
August 26th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I haven't trimmed in nearly two years and I have very fairytale ends currently. Surprisingly, I haven't had much trouble with my hair ends tangling very much where they fairytale, though they are susceptible to knots if I am not careful how I take out my braid at the thinnest part. I have more trouble with tangles where the thickest area of my hair is at the back of my head. I remember when I was growing out my bangs some years ago I did have trouble with those tangling more as they mixed with the rest of my length, though once they grew out a little more and were long enough to braid in without coming out, they stopped causing trouble. I used to worry about having fairytale ends, since I thought they might be harder to care for, but so far I haven't had trouble, I just have to make sure I keep them moisturized.

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I went without trimming for 2 years, then I cut it because I had reached my goal length and had surpassed it by a number of inches. Only because of that did I trim, but I didn't feel like it was uneven or anything.

Maybe do a clarify-wash + conditioning treatment. Then see what you think. I agree with the poster who said that! Always exclude this first.

If your ends still feel odd to you, S&D for damage or do a 1-2 inch trim. It's not a lot to trim in 2 years. You'll still have gained 10 inches.

Frankenstein
August 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM
My ends seem to tangle the same amount whether they're fairytale or blunt.

littlestarface
August 26th, 2016, 01:33 PM
No not for me but my ends feel and act just like the rest of my hair.

Remi
August 26th, 2016, 09:18 PM
My fairy tale ends don't tangle anymore than when I had blunt trimmed ends. I oil my length everyday, but I don't think that makes any difference. I keep a regular schedule with clarifying and chelating, and I think that is important. You might just have to experiment with what works best for you.

August 28th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Not if you slather them with oil, lol. If your ends are very problematic then use a lot of oil, not just few drops. My ends became kinda dry when I stopped all oiling so I oiled lightly (one or two drops on ends) and bunned and now my ends are fine. I haven't oiled anymore for last 4 days. Overall my ends can be tangly but middle section of my hair and nape hair tangle more, I won't cut it all off, lol! Just try oiling, few drops and if it's not enough then heavy oiling. I also use horn comb, it sleeks my hair, helps for headaches and is very effective for detangling. I always comb through my ends many, many times after I finish combing whole head. Good luck. My ends were very damaged looking but after that slight oiling they're sleek, no drama!

Sophiatrist
August 28th, 2016, 04:00 AM
I haven't trimmed in 4 1/2 years and I don't notice any tangling problem specifically at the ends. The nape of my neck is always my worst spot. I use a sandalwood comb and am careful to start at the ends and not pull a knot down to them.

Nini
August 28th, 2016, 04:36 AM
Nope, they don't. I don't remember the last time I went to a hairdresser, but it's probably at least five years ago. Since then I've mostly just S&D'd.

Jadestorm
August 29th, 2016, 03:22 AM

With my hair, absolutely, yes.

Horrorpops
August 29th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I'd say my ends tangle more when they haven't been cut in a while and there is damage (splits etc) more so than depending on the hemline. Some people can not trim for 2 years and have no damage - maybe you're in that category which is awesome :o
But for me anything between 9nths- a year no trim starts to get a little tangly.

ETA: try an S&D first perhaps, for me that helps if it's an isolated few splits but once it reaches a certain point a trim is an easier option. I normally find I only need to lose an inch or so to really notice a positive change and I have heard from other members that shorter trims (such as 1/4 inch can really be beneficial too) :)

ETA2: I've always had layers though and never a true blunt cut (since I was in my mid teens) so this may or may not affect things.

mishelle
August 29th, 2016, 08:41 AM
For me my hair tangles less when it's more moisturised and nourished. When it's dry it tangles like crazy!

Johannah
August 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
I never had *real* FE, but if I let it grow for a year or so without cutting it, it definitely tangles *way* more than when I'm having a U-shaped or blunt hemline.

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 01:23 PM
I used to have incredibly fine hair, and I still kind of do... I'm not sure about others, but I think that for me fairytale ends aren't necessarily the cause for tangles, but rather how fine the strands originally are. My ends are currently in the midst of fairytaleing, and I have seen no more tangles from when the end were more blunt. :) :blossom:

Arciela
January 23rd, 2018, 02:07 PM
When I didn't cut my virgin hair for 4 years, my ends never tangled! Then again they never got fairy tale ends either..they kind of looked the same always, blunt and such :shrug:

However - for sure bleach ends made it tangle lol and build up..ick! I would try a clarifying wash, followed by SMT ^_^