PDA

View Full Version : What oils to use for thin fine hair

CreatureBailey
August 26th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Hewwo :P You know when you mask your hair and you're too tired to go in the shower so you're like ahhh well I'll do it after sleeping XD

But really I put some avocado oil, castor oil, grape seed oil and jojoba oil in my hair.. my hair is rather thin and fine. So I have a few questions

1) Is it okay to mix all these oils and apply them all at the same time or can the hair only take a certain number before it's just too much ?
2) Is it better to oil our hair on wet or dry hair?
3) Like in the title.. what oils (in all the oils in general) is actually better for thin fine hair?

My hair is not specifically dry, or like breaking.. right now I would say it's just pretty normal health-wise. And it's straight. So when they get greasy it distributes all over and stuff. :P

Thanks ^_^

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Only use the oil to somewhat saturate the hair. If you use too much, you'll only have to end up washing more times to get it to come out. Oiling on dry hair might be easier, this way you can see when it's saturated.

There are penetrating oils and oils that rather coat the hair. Any oil is basically good enough for the hair. But for thin hair I'd go with lighter oils like grapeseed or something like that. Coconut might not be bad (my hair can't stand coconut).

Persiangirl01
August 26th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Hi there :)

1. You can mix the oils, but more.than likely you may not be getting all the benefits of all of these oils when they are mixed together. It will serve the main purpose of keeping your hair hydrated and sealed.

2. To seal in moisture, oil the ends of wet hair. I personally think oiling wet hair is best for keeping moisture in. But I oil dry hair once or twice a week, and leave it in overnight. So really that is a personal preference.

3. Any lighter oils. I think other LHCERS with more knowledge would be more helpful here. I have fine hair and I stick to my mineral oil (baby oil or my personal fave, dabur amla oil) and argan oil once in a while. I've heard jojoba and grape seed are all really good for fine hair, but I have never tried them as my oil selection works for me :)

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 02:59 AM
2. To seal in moisture, oil the ends of wet hair. I personally think oiling wet hair is best for keeping moisture in. But I oil dry hair once or twice a week, and leave it in overnight. So really that is a personal preference.

3. Any lighter oils. I think other LHCERS with more knowledge would be more helpful here. I have fine hair and I stick to my mineral oil (baby oil or my personal fave, dabur amla oil) and argan oil once in a while. I've heard jojoba and grape seed are all really good for fine hair, but I have never tried them as my oil selection works for me :)

Mineral oil (aka baby oil) definitely has its place, but I would only use it on wet, washed hair as a leave-in (just a few drops, spread over palms and smoothed or scrunched in). Do *not* put mineral oil in your hair in large quantities, especially near your scalp. It is a beast to wash out!

Horrorpops
August 26th, 2016, 03:51 AM
My hair really likes Rosehip oil and soaks it all up! :) I have mixed effects with coconut or olive oil - I find then easy to over saturate my hair with. From what I understand oil preference is very, very individual.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Sure! I mix oils all the time, primarily for deep treatments and pre-wash soaks.
2. To seal in moisture oil wet hair. For best absorption (so deep treatment) and protection pre-wash oil dry hair.
3. My hair likes dry or damp oiling with Rosehip. It likes deep conditioning with: coconut, olive, castor and sesame oils. I usually only mix a max of three oils together. I find it very helpful to use a thinner carrier oil to dilute my castor oil - it's so thick and sticky diluting it really helps with washing it out of fine hair.

I've heard jojoba and argon oils are also good for fine hair.

Aurelinchen
August 26th, 2016, 04:00 AM
if you're not trying to be vegan... i had good results with lanolin. Some people find it smells weird... I like the smell though.
In summer i also use coconut, since it is also pretty easy to dose, which is one of the big problems with fine hair in my opinion.
it can also be that the hair doesn like when you put the oil in.
I personally can not oil wet hair, since it ends up looking greasy, and the heavier oils can only used for hair masks before washing.

Nini
August 26th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Or you might find that oils doesn't work for you.

I've tried a quite a few over the years, but it's never something that's stuck with me. And more often than not it'll look a bit stringy after I've applied it. No matter how little I add. Which doesn't matter since I either bun or wear braids, but it builds over time until I have to use something stronger to get it out again.

Good luck experimenting:)

spidermom
August 26th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Different strokes for different folks. Oiling hair between washes causes my hair to become a lint magnet. I like waiting until the hair at my scalp gets oily from natural sebum, then I coconut oil my length, braid, and wash out the next morning. I can't think of any advantage to mixing different oils together.

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 07:00 AM
You can find many YTers that mix their oils. Personally, I never mixed mine. I just use mineral oil (J&J baby oil) for the rinse out oil method (link is in my signature on how to do that). It's been a long time since I've used other oils.

pailin
August 26th, 2016, 07:08 AM
I found coconut oil gave me crunchy ends. Olive is ok, but easy to overdo. I really like sunflower oil- it soaks right in, and if I've overdone it a little, it usually stops looking so greasy in a few hours. But still, no more than a few drops.
I have mine mixed with castor oil right now, and it serms fine too. But I mostly added it just because I bought that to make soap, and had to get a whole liter, so might as well stick it in my hair too :)

ETA also I like it that sunflower is cheap ;)

Candyapple
July 31st, 2017, 01:33 AM
I have fine hair and use grape seed oil.

Lisa-K
July 31st, 2017, 10:02 AM
Extraordinary Oil by L'Oreal. I've mentioned it in different threads already. It's so amazing that, for me, it has replaced the "natural" oils, such as jojoba and coconut for the most part. I still use jojoba and coconut every now and then, but they never give the same amazing result as the L'Oreal oil. I found that the best way to apply it is: one pump throughout my hair, then braid it loosely for 15min to half an hour, then brush it through and voila. Hair looks incredibly healthy and shiny and feels thick and soft. I just never seem to get the same result with traditional oils, no matter how much other people rave about them.

animetor7
July 31st, 2017, 11:32 AM
I have fine hair and my favorite oil for dry hair is coconut oil, but recently I've been using jojoba oil instead on wet hair because in the Summer the coconut oil is a bit much for my hair. My hair might be unusual for a finey in terms of oiling though because although my hair is fine, I also have a lot of it so it's fairly thick so my hair doesn't experience as many problems with compaction or looking limp and lifeless that many fineys can when oiling their hair. I've heard from other finehairs that almond oil is very light, but soaks in and is a good oil to use, but I haven't tested it myself. I'd say just experiment with things that others with a similar hair type like or just that you think you might like and let your hair guide you from there. Keep what works, do away with what doesn't. Good luck and as always, YMMV!! :)

Meggypoo
July 31st, 2017, 11:35 AM
While I'm glad the product works for you, 'extraordinary oil' by L'Oréal is not an oil in the traditional sense, despite the name. The first two ingredients are an organosilicone and a synthetic silicone - copied and pasted from L'Oréal website, the first two ingredients are (CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONOL).

sailortitan
July 31st, 2017, 01:13 PM
I usually use jojoba oil. I also use it to wash my face, and my face is as greasy and sebum-producing as my freaking scalp.

I use a little on the ends on day 2 (current routine is shampoo day 1, oil day 2, 3-4 WO. I'm in the process of trying to stretch washes.) I like to use it at night (when I shower) becuase I find it absorbs better if I give it a night and then brush with my BBB the next day.

When I make my face wash I use 65% Jojoba, 30% castor and 5% tea tree--you could also try that (be careful about tea tree, though, it's super astringent and it might be really bad for your hair in any kind of quantity.)