PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair from chlorine?

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm curious if there's any way to protect hair from chlorine effects when swimming in pools?

My in-laws are coming to visit in a couple of weeks and they always stay at a local hotel with a great pool. The kids love it and I couldn't possibly not join them. But every time I swim in chlorine, it leaves my hair drier and duller and prone to tangles.

I used to be able to find "swimmers" type shampoo products for removing chlorine from hair. No idea if they really were any good, but I can't even find them anymore.

My dd's stylist recommended some sort of leave-in treatment that they do at the salon (she's on the diving team) but I have no idea if that works either or is just hype.

Anyone?

Gumball
October 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It's possible to use a leave-in as that might act as a small sort of barrier between the chlorine and your hair. Another thing I've heard is that you can wet your hair prior to going swimming (with regular ol' water or some distilled water). That way your hair hits the pool pre-filled with some nice clean water so it could prevent the chlorine from being somewhat of a nuisance. There's also the possibility of using a swimming cap in addition to one of those methods (or any other method another member might stop by and suggest) for that extra bit of protection. Hope these might be of use to you!

Anje
October 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Shameless self-promotion: I wrote an article on exactly this a while ago... link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=42)

The most key things are that you want to (1) ensure that your hair absorbs as little chlorinated water as you can (while having fun and not destroying the pool), and (2) remove the chlorinate from your hair as soon as you can afterward. Simply wetting your hair down well with clean water before swimming and washing it afterward (don't let the nasty pool water dry in your hair!) will help your hair condition quite a lot.

redheadedgrammy
October 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Thank you, anje! I have a pool and although I love to swim, I'm hesitant to do so many times because of the chlorine ... Now I will try your suggestion.

Again, thanks!:happydance:

mandeloo
October 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
not to take away from the OP but is a swimmers cap a HUGE no no? I am still newb on these types of things.

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure about the swimmers cap. I have a weirdly sensitive scalp. Even the smallest amount of pressure gives me severe headaches. I can't wear eyeglasses b/c of this. I have really lightweight frames and have them adjusted repeatedly, but to no avail. The mere presence of any pressure over my ears makes me feel like someone is squeezing my head in a vice. Likewise, I cannot wear earbuds in my ears (awful pain after about 20 min) and I have to be careful how I fix my hair when I do updos b/c if it isn't balanced or is pulling at all, I get the killer headaches. I'm afraid a swim cap would be like a torture device.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, this is good to know! I got a filter for my shower because our water smells just like a public pool :( I'm hoping to see a difference soon. Next time I find myself at a pool though, I'll try to remember to wet my hair down first and wash asap!!