PDA

View Full Version : Confused about gelatin protein treatment?

emmadilemma
August 25th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I got some Knox gelatin to try a protein treatment but all the recipes kind of include something different, and the most water I've seen in all the recipes I've seen is one cup. I feel like that won't be enough to get all of my hair, will it? Can I just use water and gelatin or do I have to add other things?

PixieP
August 25th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I have WL hair and I use 1/3 of a cup, and that's plenty! Since the hair is already wet it spreads out quite nicely.

As far as I've understood, you should add a couple of drops of vinegar to make the acidity correct. The other things are optional :)

Robot Ninja
August 25th, 2016, 01:44 PM
A cup is plenty for my classic-length hair.

When I do light treatments in the shower I add conditioner but whenever I've done the full-strength treatments I just added a few drops of vinegar and coconut oil and conditioned afterwards.

emmadilemma
August 25th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Oh my gosh! My hair looks so good after the gelatin treatment!!! It's so shiny and flowy! It's not perfect but WOW. How often can you actually do these treatments?!

Robot Ninja
August 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Oh my gosh! My hair looks so good after the gelatin treatment!!! It's so shiny and flowy! It's not perfect but WOW. How often can you actually do these treatments?!

I do a light treatment in the shower nearly every time I wash. If you accidentally overdo it, you can do an SMT to balance it out. I would be wary of doing hardcore protein treatments too often, it seems like an easy path to overdoing it, which will make your hair dry and tangly.

Johannah
August 26th, 2016, 07:06 AM

I wouldn't use it more than once a week TBH. I'd just try this out within a week and see what it does to your hair. If you still get results but not as much as now, do it again in two weeks. If your hair still loves it like today, use it within a week again and evaluate. But YMMV.

PixieP
August 26th, 2016, 07:18 AM
I agree with no more than once a week. If you use too much you could get a protein overdose (if you do, clarify your hair and do a moisture treatment). Try out once a week, if that is too much, every second week. Don't forget a good moisture treatment too!