PDA

View Full Version : coarse, dark hairs growing in at my hair part?

Lunnafindel
August 25th, 2016, 11:55 AM
This is something I've noticed for a while, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one this happens to: Around my part (which is normally on the right), I find coarse, dark hairs growing in, while my hair is usually fine/medium at most. At first (like, 10 years ago) I thought it was just that my hair type was changing, but my overall hair type has stayed constant... there's just these couple hairs that grow in just at my part. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it because I always part my hair in the same place? Is it because I often pull them out (they feel so weird and out of place) and they regrow more?
It's so weird, it's like having someone else's hair on my head...

TatsuOni
August 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I don't have they in my parting, but I do have some thicker and darker hairs. I've had them for a couple of years now and the doesn't bother me. I dye my hair, but they didn't bother me before either.

Shepherdess
August 25th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I occasionally find a dark coarser hair mixed in with my finer hairs. The weird part is that oftentimes I find that these hairs are coarse and dark towards the ends of my hair, starting from halfway down the hair strand, while the rest of the strand that is growing out from the root are finer/medium and light blonde in comparison, which doesn't make much sense to me, since you would think that the dark coarseness should be coming from the root, instead of being at the ends. I think it must have been hormone related for me with the weird changes in texture and color in the same hair strand though.

Otherwise, I think that it is normal though to have some variation in hair color and texture from hair to hair. I have always had a few red and brown hairs mixed in with the rest of my hair. :)

TatsuOni
August 25th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I also do have some dark brown streaks in my light brown hair, but thoose hair are fine like the rest.

mizukitty
August 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM
This has never happened to me, but I sometimes find a gray hair mixed in and it's a lot more thick and course than my fine/medium hair. I think it's really interesting that your hair grows that way, though! Have you injured the area on your scalp at all? Some people, after sustaining a cut/scar on their scalp find that the hair grows in more curly or different than they're used to as the follicles' shape is altered.

Lunnafindel
August 25th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Nope, no head injuries (thank god!) and I've never noticed coarse hairs anywhere else than right where I part it. Interestingly, when I parted it in the center all the time, they grew there, and now they're growing on the right side. About a week ago I started parting on the left side to see if I was just noticing them more because they were near the surface, but so far, I've found nothing even slightly beyond medium.

Deborah
August 25th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Maybe don't pull them out. Just let them grow in and they will probably blend in better with the rest of your hair.

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I do have a few on my head too, they're really rough and coarse. I lost a couple of them when I had a scalp cyst removed, quite a few were growing out of that spot. I still have other random ones scattered about.

lapushka
August 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Stop pulling them out. :) It's perfectly normal to have hairs of different thickness on your head. Maybe part your hair slightly differently so they aren't so noticeable to you. But please please please leave them be! :D

I have a small little nubbly bit (mole type thing) on my head, in the back, about 5 mm and quite flat. Next to it a thick, black, kinky hair grows in. It doesn't get very long, but it's there. It's like it goes up to a certain length and stops growing. I leave it alone.

I once had a thick hair grow in on top of my head, thicker than normal hair, when I was a teen, about 3mm across and that one I pulled out. Took quite a bit of effort. It left a hole for a while. That was the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It was *very* tapered and only 2 inches long, it stuck out in the middle of my head. That was so odd. Up to this day, there's nothing I can find on it, no info, nothing. Just the strangest thing *ever*. It never grew back! Thank goodness, because that was *way* too odd!

Arctic
August 25th, 2016, 01:56 PM
This type of subjects comes up very often here. They seem to be very, very common and I believe normal too. I assume hormone related. I have started to have coarse, wiry hairs after 30 something, and I have more than just a few.

Pulling hair out can certainly damage the follicles. Not only that, this is a symptom of trichotillomania. If you don't yet have trich, count your blessings and don't pull out more hairs so this won't even develop into trich.

lapis_lazuli
August 25th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I get these too. I have strong urges to pull them out but try to leave them alone. I'm sure they'll blend in as they gain length :) It does puzzle me a lot though! :hmm:

meteor
August 25th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I get these, too. I think it's perfectly normal, not only because different hair strands can have somewhat different textures, but also because when strands with coarser (wider diameter) hair shafts are short, it can look like they go up somewhat and are hard to tame and lay down... as they grow longer, their length weighs them down and they become more pliable. I definitely wouldn't pluck them. ;)

Lunnafindel
August 25th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Haha don't worry, I really don't pull them out that much. I did a little while I was a teenager and then I freaked out about becoming bald and stopped. Now once every couple months I'll pull one out to look at it and wonder where it came from, but it's definitely not a nervous tic (I have plenty of those).

So you guys who say it's perfectly normal, it happens to you only at the part? Or randomly all over?

Lapushka...that is such a weird story! I'm glad it never came back :) I'm imagining a mix between a baby with a top ponytail and a devil horn :P

Horrorpops
August 25th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I get these too! Except for me they occur most frequently in the lower layers of my hair right at the back. When S&D'ing I'll find a few thick, coarse, dark hairs which have weird texture to them. I've noticed them ever since I stopped bleaching my hair (3 years ago now..) and they haven't increased in number or changed with different lifestyle factors at all (like diet, stress etc.)

I think the concensus is they are pretty normal, but I think people can get them anywhere on their head. It seems like yours might just concentrate around your part (as mine do around the occiput). :o

I like them - I like to think maybe they're adding a little resilience and strength to my otherwise fine hair haha!

Arctic
August 25th, 2016, 11:57 PM
I have them all-over, mostly at crown and back of the head.

lapushka
August 26th, 2016, 03:01 AM
Haha don't worry, I really don't pull them out that much. I did a little while I was a teenager and then I freaked out about becoming bald and stopped. Now once every couple months I'll pull one out to look at it and wonder where it came from, but it's definitely not a nervous tic (I have plenty of those).

So you guys who say it's perfectly normal, it happens to you only at the part? Or randomly all over?

Lapushka...that is such a weird story! I'm glad it never came back :) I'm imagining a mix between a baby with a top ponytail and a devil horn :P

For a while I did think of it that way! It was so odd. Luckily the hole closed up in a few days, and hair grew back in normally there. So yeah, oddest thing ever!

gustavonut
August 26th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I have the same thing but have accepted that they may or may not be my natural hair color. Since my roots and the under side of my canopy is much darker than the rest of my hair. Some of them are so wiry and curly and almost as dark as my mom's hair, and it's really exciting for me because I've alwaaaaaaays wanted curly dark hair like her's :D And some of them are inches long as well! I can only hope..

JustPam
August 27th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I get these at my parting, thick squiggly hairs, I notice them when I'm trying to smooth my hair back, they feel very prominent and I do pluck them out, but it's only like 1 a month at most so I don't worry about going bald.