PDA

View Full Version : Hair minimalists

Hairkay
August 23rd, 2016, 12:28 PM
I have seen two threads talking about hair minimalists routines but none discussing what it is to really be a hair minimalist. I love simplicity. I love that if I plan on travelling and don't really have to pack a thing for my hair, not even a comb. Anyone else feel the same?

lapis_lazuli
August 23rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
:waving: Yes, me!!! I love simplicity too! :) The only product I use on my hair is a shampoo and conditioner every 1-2 weeks. I always throw it up into a LWB that I can leave for days. My hair's the longest it's ever been and I spend the least time I ever have! It's amazing :D I love the minimalist (and maybe a little lazy:lol: ) life!

proo
August 23rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
My hair stuff is minimal:combs, scissors, modified nw/so routine
But my rituals and hairstyles are evolving and elaborate.

Hairkay
August 23rd, 2016, 04:41 PM
:waving: Yes, me!!! I love simplicity too! :) The only product I use on my hair is a shampoo and conditioner every 1-2 weeks. I always throw it up into a LWB that I can leave for days. My hair's the longest it's ever been and I spend the least time I ever have! It's amazing :D I love the minimalist (and maybe a little lazy:lol: ) life!
Hi Lapis,
yes it can be quite lazy if you want it to be. My hair also thrives best with this. I style my hair once a week but I do wash/rinse daily and my style survives that.

My hair stuff is minimal:combs, scissors, modified nw/so routine
But my rituals and hairstyles are evolving and elaborate.

Hi Proo,

it seem you're enjoying your routine too.

littlestarface
August 23rd, 2016, 08:35 PM
When I traveled I literally took nothing but ties for braids. I won't ever wash my hair anywhere but home, at home only oil, conditioners for me and a shampoo once a week. I was like this for so many years only recently I tried all that leave ins and stuff and it's too complicated for me. I just like after washing and drying putting my hair tied and waiting til next wash.

MlleMC
August 23rd, 2016, 10:14 PM
I'm not quite the minimalist you are, but when I went on a trip last month, I only took a sample bottle of shampoo, a comb, a pair of hairsticks, a claw clip (because my sticks are wood) and a few hair ties. But then I wore a different style nearly every day--though that's partly due to the fact that I was always waiting for my brother to get ready in the morning and thus had time to spare. Normally, I wear simple braids and buns, and often keep my braids for days.

gthlvrmx
August 24th, 2016, 12:35 AM
For a while, I was only using shampoo and baby oil as a leave in. I like that it's fast and my hair dries faster. Once it's dry, I put it up in a bun and it's good for the day. I have more conditioners now so I don't want to let them go to waste and now I use them but they give me good results so far so the benefits outweigh the not as simple wash.

truepeacenik
August 24th, 2016, 01:05 AM
My hair care might not be seriously minimalist, but my travel is!
For hair I pack: Denman brush, shower comb, mini shampoo bar, mini conditioner bar.
Hair sticks, scarf or pony scrub.

Daydreamer.
August 24th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Count me in! I use shampoo, conditioner (sometimes), oil, and scissors (for S&D). I finger detangle, so no need for a comb. I braid my hair and tuck in the ends, so no ties/clips for me. I love the simplicity of it all!

Hairkay
August 24th, 2016, 03:42 AM
When I traveled I literally took nothing but ties for braids. I won't ever wash my hair anywhere but home, at home only oil, conditioners for me and a shampoo once a week. I was like this for so many years only recently I tried all that leave ins and stuff and it's too complicated for me. I just like after washing and drying putting my hair tied and waiting til next wash.
I will wash my hair with the usual water rinse no matter where I go. I may or may not have a little oil on hand to put on my ends.

I'm not quite the minimalist you are, but when I went on a trip last month, I only took a sample bottle of shampoo, a comb, a pair of hairsticks, a claw clip (because my sticks are wood) and a few hair ties. But then I wore a different style nearly every day--though that's partly due to the fact that I was always waiting for my brother to get ready in the morning and thus had time to spare. Normally, I wear simple braids and buns, and often keep my braids for days.
My plaits/braids last a week at a time they'll even survive being washed.

For a while, I was only using shampoo and baby oil as a leave in. I like that it's fast and my hair dries faster. Once it's dry, I put it up in a bun and it's good for the day. I have more conditioners now so I don't want to let them go to waste and now I use them but they give me good results so far so the benefits outweigh the not as simple wash.
I have to agree with you on liking a fast washing routine.

My hair care might not be seriously minimalist, but my travel is!
For hair I pack: Denman brush, shower comb, mini shampoo bar, mini conditioner bar.
Hair sticks, scarf or pony scrub.
It's no fun lugging the world around in your luggage. I think choosing carefully means you can still enjoy what you've got with you. You seem to have discovered that.

Count me in! I use shampoo, conditioner (sometimes), oil, and scissors (for S&D). I finger detangle, so no need for a comb. I braid my hair and tuck in the ends, so no ties/clips for me. I love the simplicity of it all!

I spend half a week or sometimes whole weeks with no ties, clips or pins in my hair. That means I don't have to search my head for anything when it comes to bedtime. I did buy a huge pack of pins just in case but in over a year I've just used 2 on a few occasions.

HairPlease
August 24th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Well, I go back and forth. Right now I'm back in minimalist phase. For a couple weeks I was using a TON of product, which is unusual for me. I was trying to "fix" or "cover up" my ratty MBL hair. I cut it to high-APL and now I don't need a bunch of product anymore. My hair is as it is right now. Items used: Shampoo (stretching washes now!), conditioner, scissors.

MlleMC
August 24th, 2016, 08:13 AM
My plaits/braids last a week at a time they'll even survive being washed.

That pretty much only works with curly hair though. Or tiny braids, but I wouldn't have the patience to do them (and I'm sure some people would way it's cultural appropriation).

Hairkay
August 24th, 2016, 09:30 AM
That pretty much only works with curly hair though. Or tiny braids, but I wouldn't have the patience to do them (and I'm sure some people would say it's cultural appropriation).

I don't go for tiny ones. I used around 10 or so. It's up to anyone to decide what will or will not suit their hair and braids/plaits are universal.

Inga-Marjukka
August 24th, 2016, 04:14 PM
All this sounds so amazing! I love it when I realise I've only done CWC and a dab of oil for days and days, plus one bun per day (up in the morning, down for the night). Definitely going to follow this thread for more info. Just leaving my hair in a bun or a braid sounds like a massive tangle. Bestow your wisdom upon me, minimalists :pray: What's your go to hairdo for example, if you plan on leaving it for a long time and not touching it?

althara
August 24th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I feel pretty minimalist in my routine compared to the average woman. I wash every 3-4 days, but I'm trying to extend it to once a week.

Shampoo (for dealing with dandruff, ugh)
conditioner (just started using this again after years of going without. Hoping it will reduce the number of split ends I get.)
oil for the ends (doubles as massage oil)
comb for detangling
hair elastics

I'm getting a pair of hair scisors from a hair dresser friend of mine. I get split ends like crazy and I want to do S&D sessions, so I don't have to trim as often.

PixieP
August 24th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I'm sorta a minimalist. Shampoo, Aussie 3mm, conditioner. No leave-ins or styling products; I'll use a bit of hairspray to tame wispies if it's windy and dry shampoo to stretch washes. My hair doesn't like oils much, I got one very recently that it seems to like so far, few drops of that before bedtime bun. I do brush my hair twice a day with my tangle teezer, morning and evening.

meteor
August 25th, 2016, 03:16 PM
For travel, I'm definitely a minimalist. I only pack a WT comb, a stick, a silk scarf (for sleeping) and a sun hat (if relevant)... and maaaybe a tiny sample shampoo bottle.

I can always get shampoo locally, if I'll be there for a while, and usually it's just a 2-in-1 type of product, to avoid dealing with an additional conditioner bottle. ;) I definitely don't bother with oils and concoctions, because of risk of damage if they leak.

Hairkay
August 26th, 2016, 04:28 AM
All this sounds so amazing! I love it when I realise I've only done CWC and a dab of oil for days and days, plus one bun per day (up in the morning, down for the night). Definitely going to follow this thread for more info. Just leaving my hair in a bun or a braid sounds like a massive tangle. Bestow your wisdom upon me, minimalists :pray: What's your go to hairdo for example, if you plan on leaving it for a long time and not touching it?

The longest I'd leave anything for is a week since the ends start to unravel and I wash my hair daily. I use plaits/braids. Sometimes I try a bun but I do need to take the ends out to put a little oil on it daily.

There's finger detangling. Some have a finger detangling challenge going on for the month. I'd say that works for me. You don't have to give up combs and brushes completely just change to occasional use , once a couple of days/ week/month/quarterly whatever suits you.

sommer
August 26th, 2016, 07:51 AM
I have seen two threads talking about hair minimalists routines but none discussing what it is to really be a hair minimalist. I love simplicity. I love that if I plan on travelling and don't really have to pack a thing for my hair, not even a comb. Anyone else feel the same?

I can perfectly understand your ideas because I was a fan of short haircuts for the long time :) I preferred different bobs like here http://hairstylezz.com/best-long-short-angled-bob-hairstyles/21/ and it always looked beautiful :) And also very comfortable! No problems with washing, drying and combing, as with the high temperatures during the summer :D
Now my hair became longer, a bit more than the shoulder-length and I feel the changes :D First of all the combing became more difficult and styling is more necessary but I'm going to continue growing it :o

http://makeuptutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Brown-Tinted-Medium-Haircut.jpg

meteor
August 26th, 2016, 11:38 AM

I just wear it in braided buns. If I sleep with the same braid covered in silky scarf, it's usually fine the next morning so I can bun it again. I have to redo the braid every 3-4 days (or more frequently, of course, if I'm pretty active), or else I'll get serious tangles. And when my hair was shorter, I had to redo the braid every day, because it was much easier for it to frizz up and fall apart. I think length and not having layers helps braids, as well as buns, hold better for longer. If you use multiple braids, they stay in even better, especially if you braid them all together like a "battle braid" and then bun. Tiny accent braids stay put especially well (the smaller they are, the longer they last), and they can be easily re-used in different updos for a while. Oils, leave-ins and gels help braids stay less frizzy, but product like that attracts lint/dust and makes hair greasier faster, so there is a bit of a trade-off there.

Some good braided updos for long wear: braided L-Infinity, braided LWB, braided Nautilus, simplified Ellingwoman Braided Bun, Amish Braided Bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M), Horseshoe Braids, Milkmaid/Heidi and Coronet Braids (especially with hair-taping using yarn needle - check out torrinpaige), Woven Crown Braid (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/), and of course, if you are comfortable with more sectioned braiding - Crown braid, Spiral braid, etc...

Hairkay
August 26th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I just wear it in braided buns. If I sleep with the same braid covered in silky scarf, it's usually fine the next morning so I can bun it again. I have to redo the braid every 3-4 days (or more frequently, of course, if I'm pretty active), or else I'll get serious tangles. And when my hair was shorter, I had to redo the braid every day, because it was much easier for it to frizz up and fall apart. I think length and not having layers helps braids, as well as buns, hold better for longer. If you use multiple braids, they stay in even better, especially if you braid them all together like a "battle braid" and then bun. Tiny accent braids stay put especially well (the smaller they are, the longer they last), and they can be easily re-used in different updos for a while. Oils, leave-ins and gels help braids stay less frizzy, but product like that attracts lint/dust and makes hair greasier faster, so there is a bit of a trade-off there.

Some good braided updos for long wear: braided L-Infinity, braided LWB, braided Nautilus, simplified Ellingwoman Braided Bun, Amish Braided Bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M), Horseshoe Braids, Milkmaid/Heidi and Coronet Braids (especially with hair-taping using yarn needle - check out torrinpaige), Woven Crown Braid (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/), and of course, if you are comfortable with more sectioned braiding - Crown braid, Spiral braid, etc...

Thanks Meteor,

I loved the interlaced Dutch braid. I sometimes have two cornrows and cross it in the back then let it stretch all the way to the front and tuck it in the cornrows there. I do the same with two flat twists.

August 28th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the list, Meteor! I was looking for something like this. HairKay, do you use pins like on that tutorial or just tuck your ends under? Version with twists sounds great! But pins stuck in hair creep me out, hah.

Ooh, how is it possible to tuck ends into a braid and not use tie?? I'm talking about one big braid. Is it possible? How do I do this? Right now I'm wearing single braid for third day. I made low braided bun from it for bathing, worn that bun for the evening (I bathe in the evening) and removed bun and slept in braided hair. Then in the morning I was ready for morning yoga and going out and I didn't had to comb in the morning HELL YES. I need to do it more often! I'll look at hairstyles from that list! I tied my braid with purple ribbon, looks cute. And satin doesn't kill my hair.

minimalism all the way... I always go back to hardcore WO after experiments. All other natural methods are so time consuming. For egg wash I have to separate the yolk and so on. I won't even talk about aritha... It has to be cooked and then left overnight, what a pain! Rye flour sounded easy in theory but I never had luck with powders. I'll try fermented rice water today, but you have to ferment it, lol. So I usually go back to hardcore WO anyway... Well, maybe rice water won't be that bad. Fermenting is just leaving it alone to do its thing.

Hairkay
August 29th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the list, Meteor! I was looking for something like this. HairKay, do you use pins like on that tutorial or just tuck your ends under? Version with twists sounds great! But pins stuck in hair creep me out, hah.

Ooh, how is it possible to tuck ends into a braid and not use tie?? I'm talking about one big braid. Is it possible? How do I do this? Right now I'm wearing single braid for third day. I made low braided bun from it for bathing, worn that bun for the evening (I bathe in the evening) and removed bun and slept in braided hair. Then in the morning I was ready for morning yoga and going out and I didn't had to comb in the morning HELL YES. I need to do it more often! I'll look at hairstyles from that list! I tied my braid with purple ribbon, looks cute. And satin doesn't kill my hair.

minimalism all the way... I always go back to hardcore WO after experiments. All other natural methods are so time consuming. For egg wash I have to separate the yolk and so on. I won't even talk about aritha... It has to be cooked and then left overnight, what a pain! Rye flour sounded easy in theory but I never had luck with powders. I'll try fermented rice water today, but you have to ferment it, lol. So I usually go back to hardcore WO anyway... Well, maybe rice water won't be that bad. Fermenting is just leaving it alone to do its thing.

Hi O1,

I use two pins when I've got flat twists since they can unravel or pull out. If it's cornrows then I can weave the hair back into the braid on the scalp. I grew up seeing my mother tucking in her braids/plaits without using any pins or clips. If I have some plaits that I've braided all into one (some call this braidception) then I'll take the ends and weave it back up into the plait/braid so that it's doubled up. This shortens the length considerably.

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Thank you for this awareness...it has me re-thinking my hair care routine!

I am not a minimalist with hair toys....they became my incentive for growing out chin length layers, and then became a hobby as time went on. :o
However being a 'frugal granny'...my collection (minimal compared to some on LHC :wink: ) is complete; all colors/sizes and styles were well thought out and each piece is used throughout the different seasons.

Now re: hair products....I am realizing what I use now may NOT all be needed as often as I use them :hmm:

I started using oil in the Winter because of dryness, and continued for humidity frizz; I need to re-evaluate that (perhaps just using it in extreme dry conditions and on days I use silver/chelate products)

Then I started using clarifying and silver products after a staining incident with argan oil products; first to clear the stain and now preventatively.
I only use each product only once a month, but they are both drying, so I use a KPAK conditioner after.

Perhaps I could cut back to using each product once a month, but alternating months and see if it makes a difference; evaluating how my hair looks and feels before using it also.
I just bought 33oz bottles of these things, but Hubby also uses some of them, so I will be set for a while ...especially if I cut back my usage lol

I am down to a S&C 1-2x/week (usually @ 5 days), but the shampoo is diluted and only applied to the scalp, and the conditioner is only applied on the ends (and only enough to cover well/not over-saturate them).

No other styling products are used except the rare spritz of hairspray to tame wispies on special occasions, or rosewater and glycerin to refresh curls.

Going forward I am now more aware, changing things up, and saving my hair and $$ :wannabe:

Thanks again :flowers:

ETA: I did my Joico Moisture S&C in high humidity with NO OIL on the ends....and my hair was fine.
In fact it detangled EASIER and I had no frizz at all
So I will drop that practice; not that I used a heck of alot (4-6 drops max/1-2x a week) LOL

If I have any frizz or Winter dryness/flyaways, rosewater and a glycerin spritz/scrunch works great on my hair; and I always have that on hand for use for my body after showering or freshening up.

Now to decide if I will just alternate months doing silver and clarifying... vs doing each of them once a month :hmm:

ETA: ^ TBD whenever I use hairspray

triumphator!
August 29th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I guess I consider myself a hair minimalist. I have a 2 step wash routine, a 2 step DT routine, one leave-in that I only use a few times per week, and I prefer hair toys that don't show (spin pins, wire forks without toppers, etc). I can't do the all-day wash process thing. I also am not dyeing or cutting it right now.

Actually now that I think about it.... I do the absolute bare minimum. :p

September 8th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Hi O1,

I use two pins when I've got flat twists since they can unravel or pull out. If it's cornrows then I can weave the hair back into the braid on the scalp. I grew up seeing my mother tucking in her braids/plaits without using any pins or clips. If I have some plaits that I've braided all into one (some call this braidception) then I'll take the ends and weave it back up into the plait/braid so that it's doubled up. This shortens the length considerably.

Wow! Weave and weave and then weave that, my brain will explode, lol. Very interesting.

I'm trying to learn this, having some success but still struggling with last step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2DbiS80C4
(tieless braid)
I'm trying that big braid thing. It's interesting she's showing mini fishtail braids and that they unravel less than other types! I'll have to try that too, looks really cool. Mini fishtails... nice.

Hairkay
September 8th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Wow! Weave and weave and then weave that, my brain will explode, lol. Very interesting.

I'm trying to learn this, having some success but still struggling with last step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2DbiS80C4
(tieless braid)
I'm trying that big braid thing. It's interesting she's showing mini fishtail braids and that they unravel less than other types! I'll have to try that too, looks really cool. Mini fishtails... nice.

That's a great video 01, thanks.

Kajzh
September 8th, 2016, 09:02 AM
:waving: Yes, me!!! I love simplicity too! :) The only product I use on my hair is a shampoo and conditioner every 1-2 weeks.

I'm the exact same! When I travel, I take 3oz of sulfate body wash, 3oz of shampoo, and 3oz of conditioner — nothing else! Those products last me more than six weeks.

Sapeli
September 8th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I will be travelling to Malta next month and that is the first holiday/hotel/swimmingpool/sea kind if trip after I went WO. I Would like manage with my wide toothed comb and BBB only, but I thing that I will take some conditioner for CO if needed and some leave-in conditioner. The water there is probably quite different.

embee
September 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM
When I travel I take my Denman brush and a short hair fork (for sleeping) plus the hairstick in my hair. That's all. NW/SO rocks. :) Push comes to shove, I can leave the hair fork home.

animetor7
September 8th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I've gotten more minimalist as time has gone on, but I have hair that needs washing with shampoo, so I've never been able to go as minimalist as WO or NW/SO followers are. But in the winter it's just wash with a shampoo bar once a week followed with a vinegar rinse and some leave in, then oil as needed. In the summer it's a bit more complicated as I need to do a gentle wash mid-week to deal with some greasies. So not as minimalist as some, but much more so than when I first started here and was using all sorts of steps and moisture treatments and such. I think this is probably a general trend for many on the LHC, simplifying as we go along and discover what works for us. The best of luck to you true minimalists and benign neglecters out there! :)

September 11th, 2016, 05:03 AM
Damn, that braid is tricky... I kind of can do it but not exactly! I'll try mini fishtail accent braid maybe... I wonder if it'd hold as well as small twists do for me, hmmm. But right now I went back to tying my braid with ribbon, heh.

Ophidian
September 14th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I'm very minimal product-wise (water, sometimes with ACV or lemon juice; castor oil and essential oils for scalp). I try to scritch, massage, and preen every day it this doesn't always happen. I put it up and leave it alone most of the time. I am very happy with this fairly minimalist routine.

Saldana
October 9th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Hi! I haven't seen a thread for hair minimalists, but I know I can't be the only one. Share your minimalism! I'll go first....

Twice a week, shampoo with Avalon shampoo. If I remember/have time, condition with Mane N Tail.
Wrap in towel for awhile, then let air dry.

Wide toothed comb while still damp, then half up to keep growing out bangs out of my face. Messy bun if it's hot or I really need the hair put away. Top bun to sleep (or sometimes a braid).
Occasional aloe vera gel or oil to smooth frizzies. BBB maybe a couple times a week.

S/D when I'm sitting in good light, have the hair scissors close, have time, and remember. Microtrim once or twice a year.

.....and that's pretty much it. I do have a few nice hair toys, and sometimes I'll do something more elaborate than a half-up with a plastic clip....but not usually.

Anybody else out there a hair minimalist? Would we like to have a forum to discuss our (non) routines, or share the sorrows (wow, everybody else does such cool stuff with their hair!) or joys (wow....I'm really glad I don't fuss with my hair...even though it is, like, three feet long)?

:blossom::blossom::blossom:

Nymphe
October 9th, 2016, 09:37 PM
That was a quick thread merger. I am only a minimalist because too much fuss will cause me to lose interest and allergies.

October 10th, 2016, 04:55 AM
Okie dokie, I have good results with wearing my hair in single three strand braid all the time and pinning the braid up for bathing (I wash hair once a week or two). Damn, they're so hard to comb that I don't even want to do it too often, maybe something is wrong with them... But it's good to know that trick for busy days nevertheless.