PDA

View Full Version : Donating hair - non profit charity

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 07:34 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me and my boyfriend out. He started loosing hair so he decided he would cut it and donate his hip length hair. I would like to find a non profit charity organisation that makes wigs for people that have lost their hair during illnesses. I would really like the hair go into the right hands, so if you have any suggestions for reliable organisation (preferably in Europe) that would be great!

This is the amount of hair he will donate:

http://i.imgur.com/3Tt8OIcl.jpg

MariSA5894
August 23rd, 2016, 07:39 AM
May I ask wich country you are from?
I know a Dutch and German organisation.
And do you prefer to donate it to children or people with breastcancer or any other disease?

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 07:59 AM
I am from Slovenia. I don't mind if it's children or not as long as it goes to the right hands. I would not want to support organisations like Locks of love that make profit from donations.

MariSA5894
August 23rd, 2016, 07:59 AM
Also an important question: is it natural or dyed?
I know one organisation that doesn't work with dyed hair, the others I will have to look up.
I thinks it is very brave of your boyfriend to cut it off and I think it is a great thing he decided to donate it :)

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 08:04 AM
It is not dyed, all natural :) He was very brave to cut it. It was very sad for him to separate from it since he had long hair most of his life. This is why it's so important for me to give the hair to someone that will appreciate it.

MariSA5894
August 23rd, 2016, 08:18 AM
To my opinion this is a very reliable organisation and it's non profit (I knew someone who had a wig from them)

http://www.haarstichting.nl/donate-your-hair

I hope it helps and if not I will try to find you some other links but the other organosation I know has unfortunately no English website

PixieP
August 23rd, 2016, 08:22 AM
You can take any website and put it through google translate, and then you can read it in english (or slovenian!) :) The translation may be a bit so so at times, but it should be good enough to understand instructions about how to donate hair :)

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 08:36 AM
I did look at this page first and than Princess trust. I can't decide between the two. I find princess trust a bit suspicious because they say on their website that they send to manufacturer in China and that they don't provide pictures of children that receives their wig. I find that very strange.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
Does he really want to donate? I mean my mom kept my hair from when I went from classic to a pageboy cut as a tween. Might as well keep it in a mason jar. He might want it for sentimental reasons, no?

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
He said that he does not need it. I think it's better to make someone happy than just keep it as a dust collector.

yogagirl
August 23rd, 2016, 09:11 AM
That is lovely of him! Looks like a huge amount of hair. I'm sure it will be put to great use. I am also considering doing this soon, but I am in the US, so I don't know any organizations in Europe, sorry.

One suggestion, you may want to braid it carefully and put another elastic at the bottom. That way it won't get messed up so easily.

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 09:20 AM
I did braid it carefully and put it in a waterproof bag. I just took a picture of the length before I have braided it :)

MariSA5894
August 23rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
I am not familiar with princess trust.

For the german organisation I can't find any English translation but if you would like to use Google here is the website anyway:
http://www.vereinhaarfee.at

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help but I hope you will find an organisation that feels comfortable to donate those beautiful locks to.

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
MariSA5894 thank you for your suggestion but they apparently don't need any donations until the end of 2016.

Manuela L88
August 23rd, 2016, 11:14 AM
I donated 2 time to www.haarwensen.nl i dont't know if its the same as haarstichting if they are working together or something

As far as i know they make great wigs.
There are hairdressers here that cut hair for free if you donate your hair to them (haarwensen). So i think they are ok.

MidnightMoon
August 23rd, 2016, 11:15 AM
If you can't find any near you, you might as well sell it to a salon or something of the sort. Depending on your location they sometimes pay great amounts for human hair, and then just directly donate money to said charity. Aside from hair there are many needs people who are sick face. The cost of medicine, treatment, etc. is in many cases a much important and scary factor than not having hair on your head.

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 11:27 AM
Manuela L88 thank you very much I will check that page too. If I have read correctly they made wigs for kids and the other one haarsticting makes wigs for women with breast cancer mostly.

MidnightMoon I do agree with you but still when you're sick you'd like to look not so sick. I have lost my father and my grandfather due to cancer. The amount of money I'll get from that piece is not exactly very much and I'd much rather see hair on a cancer patient than on a random person. If it makes them feel better about them self in such a horrible time than my mission is accomplished. Hair is surely not the cure but over all mental health can help with the recovery.

DweamGoiL
August 23rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
If you can't find any near you, you might as well sell it to a salon or something of the sort. Depending on your location they sometimes pay great amounts for human hair, and then just directly donate money to said charity.

I don't know if I would trust this, personally. How do you know they are donating any money to a charity and not just selling the hair in the black market? It is rather disturbing to think of, but there are plenty of places where people are accosted and sheared, other places the devout are lied to and encouraged to give their hair as an offering for free, and in some countries people are given pennies on the dollar to be sheared only to have the hair sold for hundreds in countries where the demand is greater. Selling any body parts IMHO should be illegal. Donating yes, but not a dollar value attached. With hair, there are synthetic alternatives unlike organs so I can't understand what is the fixation with wearing someone else's hair on your head? It takes away the appreciation and acknowledgement of how long it took to grow and how much care went into keeping it healthy and pretty.

Didn't mean to rant and I am not upset at you MidnightMoon. I just feel very passionately about this.

SparrowWings
August 23rd, 2016, 12:43 PM
I don't know if I would trust this, personally. How do you know they are donating any money to a charity and not just selling the hair in the black market?
I think MidnightMoon meant that Katyusha could sell the hair to a salon, then Katyusha could personally donate the money the salon paid to the charity of her choosing. And that does seem like a reasonable option, if that was the intent. I never realized salons buy hair directly, though.

missmagoo
August 23rd, 2016, 12:57 PM
Wigs 4 kids and Wigs for Kids (2 different organizations) are where I've considered donating mine. One needs 12 inches, one needs 10.

DweamGoiL
August 23rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
SparrowWings - I am not sure how what you are describing is so much different. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Katyusha - I hope you are able to find a good donation site that actually helps those most in need. It is a very nice gesture on his part!

SparrowWings
August 23rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
SparrowWings - I am not sure how what you are describing is so much different. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.
It means you know for sure that the donation is happening, rather than trusting the salon to donate like they promised. You were suggesting that they could just as easily say they would donate it, then secretly turn around and make a profit off of it for themselves, with no donation included. It definitely doesn't address the other part of your post, whether body part donations should or shouldn't happen in the first place (aside from coming from the viewpoint of it currently being legal), because that seemed like a big enough topic to be its own thread, and I didn't want to hijack this one.

Katyusha
August 23rd, 2016, 03:04 PM
SprarrowWings I do realize I could donate money that would come from sold hair but as said I'd much prefer to give hair directly.

DweamGoiL thank you, I hope I will find one that is thrust worthy :) Indeed it is an awesome gesture I'm very proud of him.

missmagoo I am familiar with both of the organisations. I would much prefer to find some in Europe since I have a feeling that the US ones get so much more attention than the ones in Europe. Also shipping cost to the US can be quite expensive.

Chromis
August 23rd, 2016, 03:55 PM
Wigs 4 kids and Wigs for Kids (2 different organizations) are where I've considered donating mine. One needs 12 inches, one needs 10.

At least one of those two has had bad charitable reports in the past. I think they are all scams personally.

Also, human hair wigs are super hot and itchy and much harder to take care of. I did not land up wearing a wig at all, but if I had done, it would have been synthetic.

MariSA5894
August 25th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Too bad they didn't need hair at the moment.

Have you already found an reliable organisation to donate to?
If not will you keep us posted?

Sorry for being so curious

Manuela L88
August 27th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Manuela L88 thank you very much I will check that page too. If I have read correctly they made wigs for kids and the other one haarsticting makes wigs for women with breast cancer mostly.

Your welcome :o
I hope you find one who you like to donate too :-)

Katyusha
August 28th, 2016, 04:56 AM
I didn't find one yet. I believe I'll post to http://www.haarstichting.nl/donate-your-hair.