PDA

View Full Version : Skincare Products for Haircare?

Daydreamer.
August 23rd, 2016, 04:01 AM
Recently, I bought a new face/body wash. It works great for my skin (non-stripping/non-irritating). I took another look at the ingredients list and there seem to be some ingredients that are also good for hair.
Here's the ingredients list: Water (aqua); extracts of salvia officinalis (sage), tussilago farfara leaf (coltsfoot), achillea millefolium (yarrow), melissa offcinalis (lemon balm), matricaria recutita (chamomile), rosmarinus offcinalis (rosemary) leaf, althea officinalis, thymus vulgaris (thyme), equisetum arvense (horsetail), cucumis sativus (cucumber), and macrocystis pyriferae (kelp) extract; aloe barbadensis (aloe); sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate; disodium oleamido sulfosuccinate; oleyl betaine; vegetable glycerin; citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract; soyamidopropalkonium chloride; panthenol, cocamidopropyl pg-dimonium chloride; allantoin; and citric acid.
I was wondering if this skin cleanser can be used as a shampoo as well? Would it be effective at removing oils?
Also, has anyone successfully used skincare products for hair?

lapushka
August 23rd, 2016, 04:11 AM
Recently, I bought a new face/body wash. It works great for my skin (non-stripping/non-irritating). I took another look at the ingredients list and there seem to be some ingredients that are also good for hair.
Here's the ingredients list: Water (aqua); extracts of salvia officinalis (sage), tussilago farfara leaf (coltsfoot), achillea millefolium (yarrow), melissa offcinalis (lemon balm), matricaria recutita (chamomile), rosmarinus offcinalis (rosemary) leaf, althea officinalis, thymus vulgaris (thyme), equisetum arvense (horsetail), cucumis sativus (cucumber), and macrocystis pyriferae (kelp) extract; aloe barbadensis (aloe); sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate; disodium oleamido sulfosuccinate; oleyl betaine; vegetable glycerin; citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract; soyamidopropalkonium chloride; panthenol, cocamidopropyl pg-dimonium chloride; allantoin; and citric acid.

You won't know how those will react with the hair. Just try it?

The surfactants are mild ones, so it might also be too mild for your hair (yes that exists too); also there's glycerin in the product which is a humectant, some curlies can't stand the stuff, but you'll have to see.

Daydreamer.
August 24th, 2016, 01:31 AM
You won't know how those will react with the hair. Just try it? The surfactants are mild ones, so it might also be too mild for your hair (yes that exists too); also there's glycerin in the product which is a humectant, some curlies can't stand the stuff, but you'll have to see. I guess I'll try it on my next wash day.

Hairkay
August 24th, 2016, 03:45 AM
When I was a baby, mother didn't use shampoo on us. She used baby moisturising cream instead because she knew the shampoos were too harsh for sensitive skin and tightly curly hair.

enting
August 24th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I recently started intermittently using my body wash as shampoo. I have a few dandruffy, itchy patches on my scalp and they seem to actually be doing a tad better since I started using it on my scalp.
I mixed up a healing skin lotion last year for dry and cracked hands. I experimented with applying it to damp hair in the areas where my hair is more strawlike, and it made the hair softer too.
So far I'd say skincare products work well for my hair :)

FrayedFire
January 10th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I've used a burt's bees gentle face cleanser on my head a few times. I don't notice that it does anything special, I'm sure there are some skincare products that would be good for the scalp at the very least.

chiapommama
January 10th, 2018, 06:18 PM
I've used the original Avon skin so soft bath oil on my hair a few times,just a few drops. Makes my hair nice and shiny .

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:35 AM
I've used the original Avon skin so soft bath oil on my hair a few times,just a few drops. Makes my hair nice and shiny .

I use general purpose baby oil for my oil rinsing (see info in signature should you be interested in the method), which is probably also mainly for a different purpose than hair. People are always stunned that I use baby oil on my hair (lengths, last few inches, only).

Reservechic
January 11th, 2018, 12:17 PM
My grandmother who had floor length hair would use whatever lotions in the house that they had in her hair. It didn't matter if it was for the body or for ones hair, and she never incurred problems at all doing so. Now, I recently started using Chagrin Valley's Whipped Shea Butter in Vanilla Bean, on my face and neck, and also on the lower length of my hair, especially on my ends and I have had no problems with it causing any type of excessive buildup issues with my hair at all. I don't apply it everyday to my hair, only when needed. However, I am definitely liking the silky smooth feel it gives towards my ends. I don't have any split ends at all, so I definitely plan to keep using it and reaping all of its wonderful benefits on both my face, neck, and hair.