PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed a pattern in hair types/techniques?

emmadilemma
August 22nd, 2016, 07:54 PM
I was just thinking, Has anyone noticed like certain hair types like certain techniques (CO wash, water only, S&C, CWC, etc)? I was thinking about doing some research and making a post so that if anyone was looking for a place to start their healthy hair journey they'd have a general idea. Like for example, thinner hair thats curlier maybe most people with that hair type prefer S&C, whereas alot of the people with straight thicker hair might prefer CWC?
If you havent noticed any patterns, maybe leave me your hair type and basic technique as a reply and I'll start putting together research for anyone thats interested? :)

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 08:07 PM
I think in general people with very straight hair tend to use lighter products and those on the curly side tend to use very heavy ones, but theres a lot of variation within that, and plenty of exceptions. The hair texture matters of course, but scalp oil production also makes a big difference.

vampyyri
August 22nd, 2016, 08:08 PM
I'm 1c/2a with medium thickness/medium strand hair who gets up to 2a/2b with WCC and the LOC method! I use a clarifying shampoo every wash (super oily scalp and even oilier skin, stretching past day 2 or 3 is not an option, and I have to wash my bangs daily) and two silicone free conditioners to combat the dryness that comes with using a clarifying shampoo every wash. First is for detangling (thinner) second is for squish to condish (thicker). My LOC is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Aloe Gel (if it's not super dry out), and a coney serum to smooth everything out, all scrunched in while it's sopping wet. I squeeze the excess water out with a microfiber towel after my LOC (which grabs the extra product too), and wrap it in a t-shirt or the same microfiber towel for 30 minutes, then leave it down the air dry.

Not sure if this helps or not, but it works for my confused texture hair :lol:

littlestarface
August 22nd, 2016, 08:11 PM
I'm a wavy 2a/2b and my hair does good with a modified CO a shampoo only on scalp 2 more conditioners after that and my hair is good, no cones shaken not stirred.

Anya15
August 22nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
I'm a 2c-ish and my hair defies logic. I'ts M (I have everything ranging from F to C though) and what I do with it depends on the weather and humidity.

Anje
August 22nd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Main one I've noticed is that the more texture hair has, the more leave ins and product it can handle(and often needs for definition and frizz reduction). Most folks in the 1 and low-2 range find their hair gets stringy with too much stuff, especially people with F hair.

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 10:16 PM
Main one I've noticed is that the more texture hair has, the more leave ins and product it can handle(and often needs for definition and frizz reduction). Most folks in the 1 and low-2 range find their hair gets stringy with too much stuff, especially people with F hair.

I'll add that I notice in my own hair, it tends to want more product if I wear it wavy than if I wear it straighter; the same amount that looks good in it wavy (ie braidwaves), makes it look greasy straighter.

sanguinebread
August 22nd, 2016, 11:16 PM
AFAIK the curlier people's hair is (3s on) the worse it tends to do with shampoo, and the more conditioner and leave in products it needs and soaks up.

Apolli
August 23rd, 2016, 01:49 AM
AFAIK the curlier people's hair is (3s on) the worse it tends to do with shampoo, and the more conditioner and leave in products it needs and soaks up.

Yes! Can't speak for anyone else but this is fairly accurate with my hair :) (3b/C/iii) I can manage well with an sls free shampoo though. Regular use of shampoos with sls dry out my hair a lot if it doesn't have buildup (to the point where I need several months to recover. A single use would keep my hair frizzy and dry until the next wash). My hair also loves oils.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2016, 03:29 AM
I'm 2b/c F and iii and I like WCC + LOC + ROO (rinse-out oil). I don't use ROO all the time, just when I'm in the mood for it, sometimes that's 2 weeks in a row, other times thats weeks of nothing. :)

lapushka
August 23rd, 2016, 03:30 AM

I think that's more to do with scalp type (oily, normal, dry) rather than with the texture of ones hair, just MO.

Hairkay
August 23rd, 2016, 05:26 AM
I think that's more to do with scalp type (oily, normal, dry) rather than with the texture of ones hair, just MO.

For some it may do with their scalp others it's the hair.

I definitely have to take my skin inconsideration in everything I do. I had tried the doc recommended concoctions but all that did was keep my scalp and my hair extra dry. Now that I don't use that my hair is never dry and most times my scalp is fine with less chance of flakiness. WO suits me. I do use a little oil on my hair ends because I do know that it takes a lot to get sebum down all those curls and each bend or curl can be a weak spot for breakage if the hair dries out or rubs on my shoulders and back.

triumphator!
August 23rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
I have every texture of hair from 1b - 3a on my head. It likes CO washing and weekly oil deep treatments. My scalp does not produce much oil at all.

I've always been curious about a 4 variable matrix of strand texture, strand thickness, strand coarseness, and porosity, plotted with best method as the data point. That would be a heck of a chart!

HairPlease
August 23rd, 2016, 08:02 AM
Not really - on here it seems there are so many variables when it comes to what hair/scalp likes and doesn't like. There are some 1a/F/i's on here that have reported needing tons of heavy product/oils, for instance. You'd think there would be more of a pattern. I know my hair is a coarse ball of steel wool unless I have oil or conditioner all over it.

rowie
August 23rd, 2016, 08:16 AM
I have 1c/2a very coarse hair like horse texture. For many years I was using conditioners, cones, leave ins, you name it. But now I only use regular sulfate shampoo and Japanese Camelia oil (when my ends get dry) and that's all. Conditioners and other products make my hair feel icky if I were to use them now. It definitely drastically changed for me now that I'm almost at upper thigh length. For me length has a big impact on my hair and how it behaves and its texture. The longer I grow the more it wants a simple routine. For me, the big change is wearing my updos on top of my head to avoid weight. Gentle finger combing only for styling and detangling. No more combs and TT for me. I love it! Very minimalist. Allows me to focus more in my daily activities rather than worrying about my hair.

rowie
August 23rd, 2016, 07:50 PM
This is how I wear my hair everyday. It's nice that I finally can get away from back head shots!:lol: most of my current pics are like this and so it's a big change for me since most of my action shots has always been back head shots until now.

http://i.imgur.com/1fb9Jx0m.jpg

I find wearing my hair up on top of my head evenly distributes the weight of my hair. No more headaches for me. :joy: which is why I wear my hair like this every day, and I find it's definitely a whole new way of hair care and lifestyle the longer I let my hair grow. I can imagine this will be the same from thigh and beyond.

Even though my routine is at its most simple, I'm not a minimalist when it comes to hair toys. :rollin: although I rarely wear my Ficcare these days since I personally find it looks weird when worn on top of my head. Simple sticks are mostly what I use. My coarse hair is so grippy I don't need any pins or spin pins. Just only the stick is good enough.

littlestarface
August 23rd, 2016, 08:15 PM
This is how I wear my hair everyday. It's nice that I finally can get away from back head shots!:lol: most of my current pics are like this and so it's a big change for me since most of my action shots has always been back head shots until now.

http://i.imgur.com/1fb9Jx0m.jpg

I find wearing my hair up on top of my head evenly distributes the weight of my hair. No more headaches for me. :joy: which is why I wear my hair like this every day, and I find it's definitely a whole new way of hair care and lifestyle the longer I let my hair grow. I can imagine this will be the same from thigh and beyond.

Even though my routine is at its most simple, I'm not a minimalist when it comes to hair toys. :rollin: although I rarely wear my Ficcare these days since I personally find it looks weird when worn on top of my head. Simple sticks are mostly what I use. My coarse hair is so grippy I don't need any pins or spin pins. Just only the stick is good enough.

Wow you look kick ass! You make a bun n stick look amazing!

rowie
August 23rd, 2016, 11:20 PM
Wow you look kick ass! You make a bun n stick look amazing!

Thanks!:flower: While this is normally not the look I had envisioned myself sporting, my scalp is definitely much more happy. On the plus side long drives are so much better now that my bun is on my head. Suddenly head rests and sofas are no longer my enemies anymore.:couch:

Daydreamer.
August 24th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Well, kind of. I notice that people with straighter hair, use lighter products than those with curlier hair. However, there are always exceptions. So, I think it can be individual thing, too.

littlestarface
August 24th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Thanks!:flower: While this is normally not the look I had envisioned myself sporting, my scalp is definitely much more happy. On the plus side long drives are so much better now that my bun is on my head. Suddenly head rests and sofas are no longer my enemies anymore.:couch:

Ikr It's annoying as heck when you got a huge bun making your head 5 inches from the actual couch loool. Well trust me it looks great on you! Reminds me of old time japanese men style.

Johannah
August 24th, 2016, 06:09 AM
My hair is 2a and C and it DOES NOT like a lot of leave-ins. I need to use a little bit for frizz but more makes my hair a sticky mess.

notnotevil
August 25th, 2016, 05:14 PM
My hair is a mixture of straightish and wavy, so 1c/2a, (probably) M, and iii. It's so dry and thick, I could go more than a week without it getting oily. But it gets really tangly so I CWC it twice a week. And I use an SLS-free shampoo. Then use leave-in conditioner and oil while it's damp.

It likes every oil I've put in it (coconut, evoo, argan, castor) and my ends like cones too.
Basically, anything that moderately weighs it down is great for my hair, and light oiling and lots of conditioner does that well.
(Actually makes my texture straighter, but it looks good so I don't mind)

Shepherdess
August 25th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I like this thread idea! :) I suppose that the time of year might affect some people's hair differently than others too. :hmm:

I have thick hair, with 3a curls in my longer lengths, and some 3b curls in my shorter lengths. Most of my hair texture seems to be medium and fine strands. My hair has tendencies to be highly porous, so oftentimes it soaks up moisture like a sponge. I have to avoid strong sulfates and cones, since they are too hard on my hair and create a lot more breakage. I find that as long as I keep to a routine which helps retain the moisture in my locks, my hair stays happy. The WCC + LOC method seems to make my hair happy, but I also found this summer that while travelling, if I do not have my products available, making my hair damp and putting a lot of oil in it seems to give similar results, though I don't care for my hair looking oily, but it keeps it healthier at least.

Products that my hair likes:
Giovanni Blackberry & Coconut milk shampoo + Conditioner
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Conditioner
Suave Hypoallergenic Conditioners
Tresemme Botanique conditioner
Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Cantu Shea Butter Define & Shine Custard
Olive oil
Jojoba oil
Mustard oil
Castor oil

Products my hair hates:
Sulfate products
Cone products (or at least most products with cones that I have tried)
Soaps/shampoos with high amounts of glycerin (makes my hair sticky)
Coconut oil (made my hair terribly crunchy and velcro-like)

This is definitely true for my hair! Sulfates dry up my hair and make it so brittle, it is horrible! I have to be so careful to only use a mild shampoo and only on my scalp (unless I am in need of clarifying my length, but this is only on occasion); the current shampoo that I use that has worked the best for me seems to have no sulfates in it, and has kept the itchiness away from my scalp, which makes me very happy, and my hair definitely soaks up conditioners and anything moisture easily.

DweamGoiL
August 25th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I have fine 2a hair (with henna and 2b without). My hair hates cones and I use sulfates to clarify every few weeks. Other than that, I use a light hold gel after each wash and some monoi oil as a leave in. That's pretty much it!