PDA

View Full Version : I put A LOT of stuff in my hair!

Mamabearme
August 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM
Today was wash day, and I realized I put a lot of stuff in my hair. Made me wonder how much the rest of you use on a wash day.

Here's my list
heavy oiling with coconut oil this morning
shampoo with Kirkland moisturizer shampoo
condition with Redkin Heavy Cream
condition with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
add 2 pumps Kirkland moisture conditioner as a leave in
towel dry and add Redkin Anti Snap
add a fair gob of coconut oil
add Avada brilliant finishing gloss

about 2 days post wash, I'll start adding coconut oil when my hair feels dry. Now that I've stretched washes to once a week, my ends can get pretty straw like without some oil mid week.

I change up the conditioners depending on how my hair feels, sometimes using the conditioners in different orders and sometimes use Redkin Diamond Oil mask. Sometimes I'll use a conditioner that didn't really work well as a pre-wash condition. I also clarify about once a month.

This is is what is what is working well on my TBL thick hair for now. I'm sure I'll change it up when it gets colder outside.

What's on your list?

Decoy24601
August 21st, 2016, 07:14 PM
I can't put nearly that amount of product or oil in my hair without it being weighed down and thoroughly coated for days and multiple washes with a clarifying shampoo.

I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner from the ears down, then an Inecto shampoo (or a clarifying shampoo if needed) on my scalp and periodically on the length of my hair, ROO with mineral oil (only a few drops over the entire length) then a Garnier Whole Blends conditioner. I spray a leave-in that's very diluted in water in my hair, then a pea-sized amount of a buttery hair moisturizer, then a custom hair oil blend from Nightblooming (sunflower, avocado, rosehip, argan, and jojoba oil with some EOs, only a few drops over the entire length).

All together the products I use in my LCO/LOC only amount to a quarter-sized portion. Any more than that and my hair will feel coated and weighed down.

I've stopped doing SMTs because they don't seem to do much for my hair. If I need moisture badly, I'll use flaxseed gel.

I have TBL+ hair with a 5" ponytail circumference, but my hair is very easily coated and weighed down. I prefer not using cones on my hair for the feel and texture, but I need to use them because of how much my hair tangles. So far, my hair prefers amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone the most. Dimethicone is terrible on my hair. I have a hair serum with some xane's and dimethiconol that I use periodically as part of my LCO/LOC.

vampyyri
August 21st, 2016, 07:56 PM
My routine can be found in my most recent blog post, but my routine consists of 4-5 different things (one clarifying shampoo, two cone-free conditioners, one leave in/texturizer, aloe gel{rare occurance nowadays since it's summer}, and one serum). All in all, my styling products/LOC ends up being a really small amount.

DweamGoiL
August 21st, 2016, 08:13 PM
For me, it's:

Wash day
Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo
Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (pea-sized dollop)
Wrap my hair in turban towel

Detangle hair and apply Monoi Oil to my ends and a peasized dollop of Devacurl Light Defining Gel and done!

During the week, if hair is particularly poofy of if I am wearing it down and the bangs need lift, I'll add a spritz of Honeybee Gardens Alcohol Free Hairspray

LongCurlyTress
August 21st, 2016, 09:42 PM
Hi Mamabearme!! I also love and adore Kirkland S and Conditioner!! My hair is also very thick and that Kirkland Conditioner really works magic for shower detangling... I use Coconut oil or evoo as a leave in before my hair dries, and then a lwb until it dries. I find that using Coconut oil right before bed is great in the summer, but when it hardens in my hair in the winter, it makes me shed alot more during detangling in the shower the next day. I learned this the hard way...;( Does Coconut oil in cold weather do this to your hair also?

I am also interested in what are the brand names of silicones that you are using Decoy24601? I also have very thick hair and love using cones, but not anything with protein in it... wheat protein, silk proteins, etc. all tangle my hair and make if feel like it's a nest with hairspray. Would love to know the brand names of the serums you are using.

Groovy Granny
August 21st, 2016, 09:50 PM
Hi LCT :)

For me...less is better; my silver is so fine that too much product of any kind drags it down and makes it look greasy :shrug:

I use a shampoo and conditioner,and then just a couple of drops of mineral oil on my damp ends.
Silver, Joico Clarifying/K-PAK, or Joico Moisture' ; silver and clarifying are done each once a month; moisture is weekly

If my Summer curls need definition I may spritz/scrunch rosewater and glycerin to refresh them .

On the rare occasion my wispies are very unruly and I am going somewhere special, I lightly spritz my BBB with hairspray (Garnier anti-humidity) to tame them.

That's it :cheer:

Decoy24601
August 21st, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hi Mamabearme!! I also love and adore Kirkland S and Conditioner!! My hair is also very thick and that Kirkland Conditioner really works magic for shower detangling... I use Coconut oil or evoo as a leave in before my hair dries, and then a lwb until it dries. I find that using Coconut oil right before bed is great in the summer, but when it hardens in my hair in the winter, it makes me shed alot more during detangling in the shower the next day. I learned this the hard way...;( Does Coconut oil in cold weather do this to your hair also?

I am also interested in what are the brand names of silicones that you are using Decoy24601? I also have very thick hair and love using cones, but not anything with protein in it... wheat protein, silk proteins, etc. all tangle my hair and make if feel like it's a nest with hairspray. Would love to know the brand names of the serums you are using.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration has bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, but it has corn silk extract, which depending on how small the molecules are may or may not act as a protein (since it's a very vague description. It's not like it says silk amino acids or silk peptide powder, which would definitely be proteins). However, I find that it does not act like a heavy protein in my hair at all. Garnier Whole Blends has amodimethicone, which I find is a lighter cone than the former I mentioned. Hello Hydration detangles my hair more, but it doesn't make my hair feel as nice as the Garnier Whole Blends conditioner (which doesn't detangle my hair enough), so that's why I both in CWC.

Frankenstein
August 21st, 2016, 10:05 PM
I wash my hair three days a week and change conditioners every wash;
Sunday - Cone-free conditioner
Tuesday - Heavier silicone conditioner
Thursday - Deep conditioner

I use sulfate shampoo for every wash and usually no products afterwards. About every other week or so I will do a pre-poo oiling before Sunday's wash, depending on how my hair is feeling. Occasionally I will use some AVG or smoothing cream on my hair after I wash but rarely.

LongCurlyTress
August 21st, 2016, 10:11 PM
Hi to you too Groovy Granny!!! :flowers: Your hair in your avatar is simply gorgeous and what a thick, luxurious length and hemline!! All the way down! Congrats on making such a perfect decision to do your trim recently!! It came out perfectly!!! :popcorn:

Decoy24601 your length, thickness and color are gorgeous in your siggy pic!! I had the increased tangling problem due my hair reacting the same way it does to proteins with the HE Hello Hydration and I was so disappointed since I loved the smell. ;( I am now very curious about the GWBlends conditioner. I guess this is a new Garnier product that I even have a coupon for.. but I have not had good results with any Garnier products so far due to the protein and also the isporopol alchohol in the leave in... That was such a huge disappointment that it dried out my hair like crazy do to the isopropol alchohol in it. ;( Thanks so much for your detailed explanation of what you are using and when and why. ;)

Deborah
August 21st, 2016, 10:20 PM
I guess I'm on the minimalist side of things. I wash with Indian herbs dissolved in warm water, rinse, then do a final rinse with citric acid powder dissolved in cold water. That's it for me.

Decoy24601
August 21st, 2016, 10:24 PM
Hi to you too Groovy Granny!!! :flowers: Your hair in your avatar is simply gorgeous and what a thick, luxurious length and hemline!! All the way down! Congrats on making such a perfect decision to do your trim recently!! It came out perfectly!!! :popcorn:

Decoy24601 your length, thickness and color are gorgeous in your siggy pic!! I had the increased tangling problem due my hair reacting the same way it does to proteins with the HE Hello Hydration and I was so disappointed since I loved the smell. ;( I am now very curious about the GWBlends conditioner. I guess this is a new Garnier product that I even have a coupon for.. but I have not had good results with any Garnier products so far due to the protein and also the isporopol alchohol in the leave in... That was such a huge disappointment that it dried out my hair like crazy do to the isopropol alchohol in it. ;( Thanks so much for your detailed explanation of what you are using and when and why. ;)

Aw, thank you :). The Garnier Whole Blends conditioner does not have isopropyl alcohol or proteins. The ones I like so far are the Nourishing and Hydrating conditioners. The former is heavier, but both make my hair feel very nice. You might want to find a good coney protein-free serum to try mixing with it though, since it doesn't do an amazing job of detangling on its own, but it's decent.

Tosca
August 22nd, 2016, 01:45 AM
I CO wash with Woolies homebrand apple splash conditioner, and use Nature's Organics conditioner on my length. That's it.

QuietVixen
August 22nd, 2016, 02:16 AM
I shampoo with Loreal's Sulfate-free Evercreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo, SMT and leave it on for 30-45 minutes, and finally rinse it out. If I find the motivation I'll put coconut oil on my hair prior to shampooing.

restless
August 22nd, 2016, 02:18 AM
Its not a very long or complicated list to remember:

whatever shampoo and conditioner I prefer that day (it varies between a couple of cheap drugstore brands I like)
a drop of oil to tame frizz

Thats it :D

CarrotTop
August 22nd, 2016, 04:25 AM
I've been trying to use up a bunch of shampoos and conditioners, so I've been swapping out what I use each time in order to minimize the effects from the products I don't like. I usually start by detangling my hair with my least favorite conditioner of the moment, then shampooing with a sulfate shampoo. (Unless I oil earlier in the day, in which case, I shampoo first with a sulfate-free shampoo, then with a sulfate shampoo.) Then I slather a huge handful of silicone-free conditioner all over and then let it sit for most of my shower. Then I rinse it out and use a smaller amount of coney conditioner, just on the ends, for less time. Finally, when I get out, I use a blop of a leave-in conditioner/detangler, then maybe a teaspoon or so of a light silicone serum on the ends. If the ends feel crunchier than usual, I'll add a little more silicone serum when it's dry. :)

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 05:51 AM
Here's my list
heavy oiling with coconut oil this morning
shampoo with Kirkland moisturizer shampoo
condition with Redkin Heavy Cream
condition with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
add 2 pumps Kirkland moisture conditioner as a leave in
towel dry and add Redkin Anti Snap
add a fair gob of coconut oil
add Avada brilliant finishing gloss

I do WCC + LOC method, sometimes the rinse-out oil method in between even (ROOM). So yeah, about the same, except I don't add any more product during the week, and I weekly wash, so I feel it needs to be able to withstand the week.

MariSA5894
August 22nd, 2016, 06:00 AM
Lately one time a week I oil it for about an hour, use a shampoo without cones and 2 kinds of conditioners without cones.
And the second time that week I only co-wash after a yoghurt and honey treatment.
I also like to use a drop of argan oil before going to bed but I tend to forget that somedays

Iamsiam
August 22nd, 2016, 06:12 AM
I heap it on as well!
Wash and condition with Argan or coconut shampoo and conditioner
Spray Redkin leave in moisturiser
followed by grow gorgeous split end serum
Topped off with either Argan/coconut or bamboo oil.
Then a nightly scalp massage of either grow gorgeous hair density serum or a mixture of
Castor oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil and peppermint oil (my own concoction).
Twice a week, the ends cop oil too.

Pre poo, I use the above concoction, just all over my hair as a masque.

I was my hair ever 5-7 days. It starts looking oily day five. Sometimes I can stretch the wash to 7 days, but I've been a little heavy handed lately. Oops.
I brush through with a boar bristle brush.
I have thick hair and a lot of it, my hair seems to drink the oil. Funnily enough though, my hair seems to stay cleaner longer now than before I started doing this. Go figure...

Does this sound like too much to anyone?

LongCurlyTress
August 22nd, 2016, 07:19 AM
Aw, thank you :). The Garnier Whole Blends conditioner does not have isopropyl alcohol or proteins. The ones I like so far are the Nourishing and Hydrating conditioners. The former is heavier, but both make my hair feel very nice. You might want to find a good coney protein-free serum to try mixing with it though, since it doesn't do an amazing job of detangling on its own, but it's decent.
Thank you for this valuable info!! I think I will give the GWBlends a try!! :pray:

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
I heap it on as well!
Wash and condition with Argan or coconut shampoo and conditioner
Spray Redkin leave in moisturiser
followed by grow gorgeous split end serum
Topped off with either Argan/coconut or bamboo oil.
Then a nightly scalp massage of either grow gorgeous hair density serum or a mixture of
Castor oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil and peppermint oil (my own concoction).
Twice a week, the ends cop oil too.

Pre poo, I use the above concoction, just all over my hair as a masque.

I was my hair ever 5-7 days. It starts looking oily day five. Sometimes I can stretch the wash to 7 days, but I've been a little heavy handed lately. Oops.
I brush through with a boar bristle brush.
I have thick hair and a lot of it, my hair seems to drink the oil. Funnily enough though, my hair seems to stay cleaner longer now than before I started doing this. Go figure...

Does this sound like too much to anyone?

I wonder how long you'd be able to stretch washes if you'd just leave your scalp alone (no oiling in between washes). Because that seems like overkill to me, since the scalp produces its own sebum. Maybe not for those with 4 hair, but for 1 or 2 or even 3? IDK.

HeartofHaleth
August 22nd, 2016, 07:59 AM
Nature's Gate moisturizing shampoo (sulfate-free)

Olive oil (not rinsed out)

Suave conditioner (cone-free and wicked cheap)

Detangle

Rinse out the oil and conditioner and finish with an ACV rinse that's left in.

I do this once a week, with a scalp wash halfway in between regular washes. I generally don't put anything on the rest of the time. I've tried a few different kinds of oil, but my scalp doesn't like it, and my ends don't seem to either. I should probably try using a better conditioner, but it's so cheap!

Anje
August 22nd, 2016, 10:38 AM
Um, wow, yeah....

I normally shampoo once at the scalp with diluted shampoo (or CO with Suave Naturals Aloe & Waterlily and don't use a second conditioner).
Condition length with Aloe & Waterlily or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Rinse thoroughly.
Wrap it up in a towel til it's damp instead of drippy.
Maybe apply a drop or three of oil as I make sure it's not tangled. Or not.

Repeat after a few days, when the roots are starting to look piecey.

When I CO, I literally might go weeks using exactly one product.

Angelica
August 22nd, 2016, 11:23 AM
Changing back to washing hair every other day.

Shampoo and conditioner - now using Liz Earle.

Mousse (when I remember) - on scalp hair to give it a bit of body and hold when braiding - so the kinks will remain.

Run out of JASON hairspray at the moment. But use that if I have it to hand.

Hairkay
August 22nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
I'm another hair minimalist. I just do water rinses then seal the hair ends with a tiny bit of oil. Once a week I add a fruit hair mask or alternate week diy protein type mask. Twice a year I'll do a henna gloss with coconut milk.

Groovy Granny
August 22nd, 2016, 01:01 PM

Thank you :o

I am actually very pleased with it!

Talk about luxurious...that describes your hair with the thickness, length and curl! :thumbsup:

sarahthegemini
August 22nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
Wow, I wash every couple of days and I only use 3 products :
-A blob of Superdrug's Coconut and Almond shampoo, then rinse
-Massage a blob of the matching conditioner ^ ^
-Two pea size blobs of Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume leave in conditioner
Done.

dansyl
August 22nd, 2016, 04:35 PM
I feel like I put a lot of stuff in my hair too...

wash with joico kpak shampoo
kpak reconstructor
condition with joico kpak conditioner
it's a 10 leave in
argan oil

if i let it air dry curly i also use the deva curl cream and the devacurl gel