PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Goal Lengths?

Granger Mane
August 21st, 2016, 03:49 PM
When I joined, my hair was between shoulder and APL, with a stated goal of getting between waist and hip. Currently I'm hip wavy, BCL straight, which I'm very happy with. Hoping to be BCL wavy, tailbone straight by the end of the year.

So it sounds, like many, my goal length changed. But the thing is, in a sense, it hasn't.

My personal goal has always been "I want it as long as I can comfortably look after it and wear it down", which I thought would be waist or, if lucky hip. I thought that would be as long as I could grow it, as waist was the longest my hair had ever previously been. But now that I've learned better care techniques, I've exceeded this. Also, while my hair is usually bunned or braided, it's still a comfortable length to have loose when I'm relaxing or for special occasion. I would miss never being able to wear it down at all. I'm just curious how long I can keep growing my hair with that goal in mind...

Does anyone else have an alternative hair goal, based on comfort or ideas, rather than purely length? Or does this goal tie into your goal length?

lapushka
August 21st, 2016, 03:54 PM
I first thought waist was "nice", but I wanted to get to classic. Now ATM I'm classic+, but classic has become *my* length. The length I'm most comfortable at. You'll just know when you get there, it's the point where when it gets a tad longer you have the urge to chop it all off, cut an inch back and you'll have your ideal length!

wispe
August 21st, 2016, 04:11 PM
Oh, definitely! I've never had an end goal in mind, I've always just thought I wanted it longer than whatever length I was currently at. I'll keep going until I reach a length where I stop thinking that. Right now I'm tentatively thinking classic, but it will all depend on what feels right, for me. I also want my hair decently healthy at whatever length I end up at, so that plays a part in it as well.

diddiedaisy
August 21st, 2016, 05:51 PM
I change my goal length as much as the weather changes. When I first joined I wanted a modest mbl, at that point in time I thought mbl was really long. Then I wanted waist, then I toyed with hip, so I remeasured my distances, then I thought no waist will be enough. Today, I saw beautiful bcl length hair, so out came the tape measure again lol Bcl is a loooong way away though and that overfaces me a bit. So tomorrow I might be happy with waist again!!!

meteor
August 21st, 2016, 06:04 PM
I don't have a hard goal either... not even a soft goal, really. :flower: I think I just want long hair, not sure how long, probably as long as possible, but that I can enjoy and that doesn't require too much upkeep. I think there can be a bit of a trade-off between length and manageability, because even though it's very often said on the LHC that long hair is easier to deal with than short hair, I think when hair gets into the "very" long category, it gets a bit restrictive, at least from the point of view of drying, detangling, styling or opportunities to wear it down, etc...

vampyyri
August 21st, 2016, 07:58 PM
My current goal is BCL to match up with my sister's length, but I'm eyeing CL with a lot of interest, since it's so beautiful! Wherever I end up, I'm sure I'll be really happy and maintain from there!

humble_knight
August 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM
After looking at recent length photos, I am toying with the U-shape my hair seems to be forming and the idea of a straight, blunt-cut hemline. Because it feels like I'm not where I should be compared to other people's rapid hair-growth, I think I will probably wait until my shortest lengths reach the middle of my back, then I'll straighten everything out.

Apolli
August 22nd, 2016, 01:24 AM
My original goal was just "longer than this (shoulder length at the time)" but after I found lhc and said inferential longer lengths I chose hip which would land me at waist or so curly :) I do however have detangling and care needed for it in mind though (fairly curly hair) so I am keeping in mind that I might settle on a shorter or longer length anytime though, as long as I can care for it and still have fun.

Apolli
August 22nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
Dunno why my phone autocorrected different to inferential (i have no idea what that even means lmao) but yes, I meant different.

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 01:34 AM
My goal since I joined was pretty much 'as long as possible without getting too much trouble to handle'. So I set an initial goal of hip, which I was pretty sure was doable, and which wasn't too terribly far off. I've reached that now, and I don't know where the 'too much to handle' is going to be yet. I think maybe I want to grow to classic at least once, even if it's too much trouble to handle long-term.

hannabiss
August 22nd, 2016, 07:12 AM
Well three years ago I thought I'd like to grow to knee. Which I suppose is still a goal. But if I feel the ends aren't looking nice or it gets to be too much for me personally I'll stop where ever I think is best. Id love knee length hair. But I've reconsidered that length as I would like to wear my hair down at least once or twice a week. Currently at bsl so I have a while before it gets to be too much. In high school I had tbl so I know I can deal with that and that it'll grow that long. Plus I treat my hair much better than way back then.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 07:24 AM
I don't have a hard goal either... not even a soft goal, really. :flower: I think I just want long hair, not sure how long, probably as long as possible, but that I can enjoy and that doesn't require too much upkeep. I think there can be a bit of a trade-off between length and manageability, because even though it's very often said on the LHC that long hair is easier to deal with than short hair, I think when hair gets into the "very" long category, it gets a bit restrictive, at least from the point of view of drying, detangling, styling or opportunities to wear it down, etc...

Oh definitely there is that point where it becomes too much. I've reached mine (classic). But it's different for everybody.

triumphator!
August 22nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
My original goal was waist, and when I grew to TBL it just became too much for me. Then I cut it and felt really "free." So I think I will try waist again.

MlleMC
August 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM
I started growing my hair thinking that I wanted to know how long it could grow, so basically aiming for terminal. When I came here, I chose to write an intermediate goal that was more easily reachable, and that's pretty much mid-thigh (I was two inches from classic already). As time passed and I saw more pictures of longer hair, I figured that the look I like best for hair with my texture is actually no longer than mid-thigh. So now I'm just aiming for that length, and then I'll see if I change my mind and grow longer, or if I maintain there, or if it's too much to handle for me.

Granger Mane
August 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
It's interesting to hear how different our goals (or non-goals are), esp as everyone's hair and lifestyles are different.

Thanks for the tip lapushka, that sounds right. I guess I'm curious (and maybe a bit frustrated :) ), as this is the longest my hair's ever been, I have no idea when I'll reach that point - could be anything from tailbone to floor. I assume my limit is somewhere between classic and fingertip, but I have no idea at this point. Focusing on tailbone for now, as I think that's still manageable and comfortable to wear loose at home or an event, but at this point, who knows...

Asha
August 22nd, 2016, 10:38 AM
My goal is pretty much waist and beyond, if I can still handle it. I love how long hair look. I've made it to bsl and when it's down leaning on it annoys me because I know it's a form of mechanical damage for me as is moving it constantly to the front across my shirt and coats etc. I live in a cold weather climate a majority of the year so up-dos and such are just a regular part of my life anyways and make it extremely easy to manage longer lengths.

Stepo_NiNha
August 22nd, 2016, 10:50 AM
My first goal is hip and I want to maintain hip length for a while since my ends are very thin with some old damage. Can't wait until I join the Microtrimming and maintaining club thread so that I can thicken my ends a little bit (even if it's just a bit, it would make me really happy) :p

But I often set my eye on CBL and TBL. This could be an extra goal, since I find that length really lovely but I'm not sure if I can have a blunt hemline at that length. Actually, I believe that my thin ends are not only damaged ends. I believe I'm approaching a possible terminal ... but who knows I'm wrong? (fingers crossed, I hope I'm wrong!);)

Stepo_NiNha
August 22nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
My first goal is hip and I want to maintain hip length for a while since my ends are very thin with some old damage. Can't wait until I join the Microtrimming and maintaining club thread so that I can thicken my ends a little bit (even if it's just a bit, it would make me really happy) :p

But I often set my eye on CBL and TBL. This could be an extra goal, since I find that length really lovely but I'm not sure if I can have a blunt hemline at that length. Actually, I believe that my thin ends are not only damaged ends. I believe I'm approaching a possible terminal ... but who knows I'm wrong? (fingers crossed, I hope I'm wrong!);)

ETA: BCL, not CBL

dansyl
August 22nd, 2016, 04:38 PM
My goal was waist when I joined LHC almost a year ago. now it's hip. I can't see me wanting much longer than hip... but a year from now I could feel totally different.
:coolblue:

Christine_O
August 22nd, 2016, 05:49 PM
I don't have a hard goal. I just keep hoping it will grow a little bit longer. Sure enough, every couple of months I notice it's a little longer. This makes me happy.

Horrorpops
August 23rd, 2016, 06:58 AM
I'd say mine was similar to yours OP in that I wanted long hair that I could wear down and still had bounce and shape to it when down. I also wanted hair that was long enough that I could easily do most braids and updos if I chose to.
Mostly I wanted hair that felt soft and healthy.
Even what I've wanted from my hair has changed substantially though for me since I joined. Originally I was looking to 'fix' the damage of much bleach abuse, then to grow out my natural colour, and now.... Who knows! I guess I got everything I wanted (in a ways!) :laugh:

HairPlease
August 23rd, 2016, 07:18 AM
At first I wanted hair as long as I could stand it, but now I realize I want as long as it can be and still be worn down comfortably. Given that I started at nearly a crew cut, APL appears to be that length after chopping it back from almost waist.

enting
August 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I don't really have a hair goal, I just always knew that I wanted long hair, and would almost always like it longer. It was getting in the way when down, but it has now reached a point (between hip and tbl) where it can sometimes stay behind my shoulders while I'm doing things, which actually makes it easier to leave it down than a few inches ago. I'm not sure I really have a "me" hairlength. I have had it cut back to midback from around waist and i have had it cut back to waist from hip, and I didn't really mind either cut (except, of course, when hanging out with others with longer hair :P ). I'll just have to wait and see if I get to a point where I want to cut it shorter for reasons other than its condition.

trolleypup
August 24th, 2016, 09:28 PM
My goal never really changed...but I started at past classic with a goal of terminal. I was happy at 52-53" for the years that was terminal, now I am happy at 61" which seems to be the new terminal...but...if I started getting more length again, I'd be fine with that.

For what it is worth, I can still have it down at calf length when I please, which averages maybe an hour or two a day.

Lianna
August 24th, 2016, 10:06 PM
At first I wanted BSL but it felt like APL when I got it. MBL and waist feel pretty much the same to me. I like these lengths on me and others (to look at).

Coral Grimes
August 25th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Since I've never really tried to grow my hair before (I thought I would always have short hair) I hadn't really thought in terms of specific lengths until I joined here. Originally my goal was to get my hair in a topknot without all the hair at the back falling down. Now my goal is to be able to do a side plait over one shoulder without half of it coming loose.

Also, and this is really silly, I want to feel my hair blowing in the wind. :o (And in a floaty ethereal way, not just sticking itself to my face like a hairy alien.)

lapushka
August 25th, 2016, 05:26 AM
It's interesting to hear how different our goals (or non-goals are), esp as everyone's hair and lifestyles are different.

Thanks for the tip lapushka, that sounds right. I guess I'm curious (and maybe a bit frustrated :) ), as this is the longest my hair's ever been, I have no idea when I'll reach that point - could be anything from tailbone to floor. I assume my limit is somewhere between classic and fingertip, but I have no idea at this point. Focusing on tailbone for now, as I think that's still manageable and comfortable to wear loose at home or an event, but at this point, who knows...

I found out about this "thing" as a tween, when I started to sit on my hair, it lasted for weeks and I grew tired of it, begging my mom for a cut. Then when I finally could go to the hairdresser (she had to get an appointment, full-time working mom, so only Saturdays were OK), I got so annoyed that I went for a major chop (page boy cut), which I regretted the next day.

And now I find that -again- frustration can do that to you. Truly if you get at that stage where you get such an overwhelming "urge" to cut, try a few inches, and you'll see... it's going to be fine again. Just might mean you've reached your max. comfortable length.

Tassledown
September 1st, 2016, 01:21 AM
My "Goal" length for hair growth has been at this point more a side effect of realizing that I don't like any short lengths and never want to deal with the harassment and social anxiety involved in going to a hair salon again. So, at present, my "goal" length is going to be "Wherever the length I'm at becomes frustrating enough to make me learn how to cut my own hair, assuming this happens before terminal"

Given that my mother has had Classic length hair before and mine's at waistlength and still growing, I expect I have a ways to go. But to be fully honest my only "goal" is to not have to struggle with hairdressers. The hair length is a (very very nice) side effect.

Alissalocks
September 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM
Also, and this is really silly, I want to feel my hair blowing in the wind. :o (And in a floaty ethereal way, not just sticking itself to my face like a hairy alien.)
If that's silly, then I'm silly too!

BCL is the longest my hair ever was, and I loved it. I'd like to get back to that, even TBL but healthier this time, and then maintain. But since I just joined, maybe I'm likely to want more as time passes (?).

Johannah
September 3rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
My goal was reaching my belly button. I'm there now. I might grow a little bit further, but not more than 2". And maybe that will be too long, but time will tell :)

nijimei
September 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM
My thought process currently is "as long as I can get it until I'm sick of taking care of it", but also I have this reasoning:

I'm pretty short (5'3" or a bit over 160 cm) so even though my hair is waist length if I compared the length in inches to some of my friends who are taller that length of hair is only BSL or MBL on them. So what I want is to grow my hair out so that it is longer than the hair lengths of the average non-LHCer with "long" hair, if that makes sense. Basically I want to grow my hair out to make up for the fact that I won't be increasing in height, haha.