PDA

View Full Version : Hair acting up-possible protein issue?

Obsidian
August 19th, 2016, 09:30 PM
For the last couple weeks my hair has been acting up. Its feeling heavy, stiff and dry. No tangles or crunchy ends but I worry it may happen if I can't figure out the issue.
So far I've tried a SMT, it helped a tiny bit with the dryness but not the other problems but as soon as I w&c, any benefits were gone. Then I tried a clarifying wash using vinegar water since I can't get chelating shampoo locally. This helped the most, hair was softer and more flexible but once again, as soon as I w&c, it was right back to being troublesome.
This got me thinking that it might be from protein or protein like over load. I usually check my labels really well but I recently switched to hello hydration without checking. It has two ingredients that I really know nothing about, corn silk extract and coconut fruit extract. Does anyone know if these contain protein or act like protein? I can't use coconut oil, it makes my hair crunchy.
Any advice or ideas on what I can try to get my hair back to normal? I bought some herbal essence long term relationship, this nothing that could be hidden protein. I sure hope my hair likes it.

Tosca
August 19th, 2016, 09:47 PM
This http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2283847-post6.html seems to indicate that plant extracts aren't proteins.

If a vinegar rinse helped, I'd continue doing that. Caveat: I'm no expert in hair.

Decoy24601
August 19th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Sometimes when I use a conditioner that's very heavy in oils, plant extracts, and waxes, it tends to make my hair feel stiff and rough (LiveClean Argan conditioner does this to me).

I would try clarifying with an actual clarifying shampoo and s/c as normal. If it still feels weird, then it likely is your shampoo and/or conditioner. You might want to try out something else.

Horrorpops
August 20th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Do you have any other shampoo or conditioner you could try? If the problem keeps coming back after using your usual S&C maybe they could be the culprits. Theoretically if it was a protein overload deep moisturising like the SMT would 'fix' it.

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 04:10 AM
So far I've tried a SMT, it helped a tiny bit with the dryness but not the other problems but as soon as I w&c, any benefits were gone. Then I tried a clarifying wash using vinegar water since I can't get chelating shampoo locally. This helped the most, hair was softer and more flexible but once again, as soon as I w&c, it was right back to being troublesome.
This got me thinking that it might be from protein or protein like over load. I usually check my labels really well but I recently switched to hello hydration without checking. It has two ingredients that I really know nothing about, corn silk extract and coconut fruit extract. Does anyone know if these contain protein or act like protein? I can't use coconut oil, it makes my hair crunchy.
Any advice or ideas on what I can try to get my hair back to normal? I bought some herbal essence long term relationship, this nothing that could be hidden protein. I sure hope my hair likes it.

Yes the HE HH has protein. I am protein sensitive, quite! And the HH never bothered me, that doesn't mean it can't bother you. We're all different. I'd try eliminating that from the routine, see what it does; else: use it sparingly.

Obsidian
August 20th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Thanks lapushka, that's what I was afraid of. Turns out the long term relationship also has protein, a lot of it so it will have to go to the DD.

Any suggestions for a good protein free conditioner? Needs to be something that's easy to find and not overly expensive.

Nique1202
August 20th, 2016, 04:56 AM
This http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2283847-post6.html seems to indicate that plant extracts aren't proteins.

If a vinegar rinse helped, I'd continue doing that. Caveat: I'm no expert in hair.

Corn silk extract is the "silk protein" that so many shampoos and conditioners tout on the front label, so it is definitely a protein source and I don't know where that person got their information.

Nique1202
August 20th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Thanks lapushka, that's what I was afraid of. Turns out the long term relationship also has protein, a lot of it so it will have to go to the DD.

Any suggestions for a good protein free conditioner? Needs to be something that's easy to find and not overly expensive.

There are some suggestions in this current thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139381) over on the products forum!

Obsidian
August 20th, 2016, 06:06 AM
After looking at the more easily obtainable conditioners, I think I'll try the suave professionals almond and shea condit. It doesn't seem to have any protein and it has quite a lot of cones which my hair likes. It should at least work until I can find something better.

Obsidian
August 20th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Picked up suave professional rosemary and mint poo & cond. I clarified really, really well then used the condit, this seems to to have solved the problems. Hair is silky, shiny and flexible.
Since the HH is so low in protein, I wonder if its not the Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone instead. I made sure the suave didn't contain that either.