PDA

View Full Version : Good ways to help keep hair tangle free?

Leslieslsa
August 19th, 2016, 07:16 PM
My hair is about 45 inches long. It has not been dyed since 2013. The only problem I am really having with it is even though I am always keeping it in a bun, or a sleep cap when I sleep, it always seems kind of easy to tangle when I go to comb it. I have tried a lot of different shampoos and conditioners on it and it seems to remain kind of coated after using most of them, even though I rinse it well. I guess the easy way to explain it is that it really doesn't have much slip. I have regularly trimmed it and a few nights ago went to S&D and didn't even find one split end, and it looks shiny, just doesn't seem to have a lot of slip... Could it just be the length at this point? Anyone have any ideas?

Decoy24601
August 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I would try using a coney serum. It won't help with the coated feeling, but it will help with providing slip.

Tosca
August 19th, 2016, 09:29 PM
My hair is 41 inches, and has lots of slip. I would try oils or a vinegar/acidic rinse after washing. I dilute white vinegar to about a 5-10 parts water to 1 part vinegar in the shower. My vinegar rinses taste sour, but not 'pulling faces' sour, like lemon water.

maborosi
August 19th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Honestly, at this point, I've found that cones are the only real defense I have against super-tangles that start forming at this length.
I prefer bis-aminopropyl dimethicone because it doesn't really build up like some other cones.

Decoy24601
August 19th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Honestly, at this point, I've found that cones are the only real defense I have against super-tangles that start forming at this length.
I prefer bis-aminopropyl dimethicone because it doesn't really build up like some other cones.

To add to the specific types of cones, I personally fine bis-aminopropyl dimethicone to be heavier than amodimethicone. Garnier Whole Blends (at least in the US/Canada) has amodimethicone and does a good job of detangling without weighing down hair.

Horrorpops
August 20th, 2016, 12:50 AM
My hair is considerably shorter than yours so YMMV however I've found a substantial decrease in tangled by regularly styling my hair in braids or braided buns. I take them down, comb it out then put it back into a braid and this really helped me reduce the amount of tangles I was experiencing.

ETA: this braiding is also while I sleep with a sleep cap on. Do you normally leave your hair free under the cap or braided?

I hate tangles so I hope you find a solution that works for your hair really soon! :o

CarrotTop
August 20th, 2016, 01:44 AM
My hair is a fair bit shorter than yours, but I think I have similar hair: it looks shiny, doesn't have lots of splits, gets buildup easily, and has no slip. I also like silicone serums, though I've found that I need to apply them to wet hair in order to keep from them making a waxy coating that tangles my hair even more. I've also found that as far as updos go, buns that need a lot of twisting can tangle my hair more than leaving it down.

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Yes, also a vote for a conditioner with silicones. Past BSL I needed to change up my whole entire routine and go from more natural to silicone products as they just didn't work for me anymore. If you want slip, use silicones in your products!

Wildcat Diva
August 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Make sure you don't have buildup first. Clarify/chelate. I'm learning about the calcium in the water where I live. Buildup makes a huge difference for me. Adding silicones or oils for me comes only after this step.

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I seem to remember you posting earlier about this very issue, OP. I think people recommended silicones then too. If I remember correctly...

meteor
August 20th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I definitely agree with clarifying/chelating, if you suspect build-up, and using silicones for added slip, if you don't already use them. :agree:

The things that I think helped me:

- living in braided buns (this prevents tangling from twisting/wrapping/manipulating loose length into a bun, since the hair is already siloed neatly into three sections before it's bunned);

- sleeping with length contained (braided buns without stick/fork, in my case) and covered with silky smooth scarves/bonnets/etc;

- washing hair in braids (4 braids - 2 in the front, 2 in the back, split in the middle - worked well for me, but even 2 can be OK), if the hair is feeling particularly tangle-prone;

- seamless, smooth wide-tooth combs (ideally with long and thin teeth to get through the density more easily - for example, I love Afro picks for detangling since the teeth are long);

- detangling in sections (I hold and detangle each of the braid's 3 sections separately - over each shoulder and down the back);

- when I'm braiding, I pass my hands over each strand on each braid intersection, to prevent tangling and self-braiding at the very bottom;

- when I'm unbraiding hair, I detangle the ends as I go up each braid intersection, bit by bit, instead of unbraiding all hair at once and then attacking it with a comb;

- doing pre-poo oil treatments (helps smooth down hair cuticle and manage more porous ends);

- clarifying washes (removing build-up that can make hair grabby);

- silicones (slip!);

- always covering hair in windy or dusty environments;

- avoiding damage (chemical/thermal/mechanical), because more damaged/porous hair can be grabbier and less manageable for detangling and styling.

Sterlyn
August 20th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Meteor what oil(s) do you like best for a pre treatments and how heavy do you put them on?

Anje
August 20th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Have you clarified and chelated recently? Start there. There's a lot of trial and error with products, but it you've got buildup, tangles that don't go away are a given.

I find I'm wearing lots of braids at this length, to keep the tangles from happening purely from length.

meteor
August 20th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Meteor what oil(s) do you like best for a pre treatments and how heavy do you put them on?

It depends on how dry my hair is that day. If it's ridiculously dry (winter time, central heating...), I like olive oil + honey for Pre-poo treatments, and not too frequently. Only 1 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp honey or something like that, focused on ends.
If it's just a tad dry, I like coconut oil or a mix of oils that I have around in the kitchen. Just enough to make hair look greasy, but never soaking wet. I don't use too much oil, because it makes it much harder to wash out. But I know the amounts and types of oils are very YMMV, of course. :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when my hair is super-dry and tangle-prone, I really like Oil Rinses (between shampoo and conditioner, just a few drops spread over wet hair). I prefer mineral oil or grapeseed oil (or any other really runny, light oil) for this step.

A tiny bit (just a couple drops) of oil Post-Wash helps me, too, but I have to be careful not to use too much (since it's harder to gauge amounts of oil used on wet hair).

Sterlyn
August 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks a bunch :) I've been experimenting with coconut oil again and it's helping. I'm going to give the olive oil/honey pre poo treatment a go next wash.

meteor
August 20th, 2016, 01:50 PM
^ Great! :D I really hope it works! :) I should mention that olive oil + honey has potential for making hair very greasy (e.g. I had serious issues washing it out once, when I used too much), so it's better to keep it more diluted (in conditioner or conditioner+water) if you have any doubts, just to be on the safe side. ;)

Leslieslsa
August 21st, 2016, 05:28 PM
I usually put it up in an unsecured bun and just slip the sleep cap over it. I have tried braiding too in the past but it is too heavy and the cap comes off. EDIT: I may have asked this question before but it had to have been like two years ago because this is the first time I've been on here in some time now, so I apologize if I have asked this before. I actually do clarify and chelate pretty regular. I just use some watered down Suave clarifier and usually follow up with a deep conditioner that likes my hair. That is the best my hair usually ever feels! It seems to love clarifying, but I don't want to overdo it and dry it out. Otherwise I have been using regular shampoo that goes with the conditioner (Always water down a little) or I use a sulfate free one I have. It seems to get build up easily but dry as well so it's hard to figure out a good balance. I also use a seamless comb already too. Or my fingers.

Decoy24601
August 21st, 2016, 05:52 PM
I usually put it up in an unsecured bun and just slip the sleep cap over it. I have tried braiding too in the past but it is too heavy and the cap comes off. EDIT: I may have asked this question before but it had to have been like two years ago because this is the first time I've been on here in some time now, so I apologize if I have asked this before. I actually do clarify and chelate pretty regular. I just use some watered down Suave clarifier and usually follow up with a deep conditioner that likes my hair. That is the best my hair usually ever feels! It seems to love clarifying, but I don't want to overdo it and dry it out. Otherwise I have been using regular shampoo that goes with the conditioner (Always water down a little) or I use a sulfate free one I have. It seems to get build up easily but dry as well so it's hard to figure out a good balance. I also use a seamless comb already too. Or my fingers.

Have you considered using other things to keep your hair hydrated like humectants? My hair loves flaxseed gel and you can use a lot (provided you don't make the gel too thick) without your hair feeling like it has buildup. It's super hydrating and has a light hold as well.

Sterlyn
August 23rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
Thank you Meteor :flower:

I added the prepoo tx with olive oil/honey (diluted with some conditioner) to my wash routine, my hair loved it. It was soft and most importantly very tangle free, no knots, at all, barely any tangles and all finger combed easily. I washed on Sunday evening, today is Tues and still no tangles. Not sure if my hair was just lacking in moisture or loves the olive oil or both, don't care.

My hair has been giving me fits with tangles, knots that needed cut out for months, ends dry and angry, no matter what I put on them. I'm glad you shared. :)

meteor
August 23rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you Meteor :flower:

I added the prepoo tx with olive oil/honey (diluted with some conditioner) to my wash routine, my hair loved it. It was soft and most importantly very tangle free, no knots, at all, barely any tangles and all finger combed easily. I washed on Sunday evening, today is Tues and still no tangles. Not sure if my hair was just lacking in moisture or loves the olive oil or both, don't care.

My hair has been giving me fits with tangles, knots that needed cut out for months, ends dry and angry, no matter what I put on them. I'm glad you shared. :)

Yay! That sounds amazing!! :joy: So happy to hear it worked for you, Sterlyn! :D

lithostoic
August 23rd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Oiling helps me too! Glad you've found something that works.

Sterlyn
August 23rd, 2016, 09:15 PM
Oiling helps me too! Glad you've found something that works.

I did but I really don't know whether it was the olive oil, honey or the combination that worked. Those are 2 things that I've never used on my hair, I thought the olive oil would be too heavy(it wasn't) and the honey I avoided because of the possible lightening issue. I know nuking it is supposed to eliminate that but I still was leary with my (previously) white/silver hair. Now that it's blue/purple/pink, it's not really an issue. :p

I'm going to try a few drops of olive oil as a leave in. Most of the oils I tried in the past on virgin hair, built up and my hair didn't seem to like them much, now that's it's beat up a bit I might have better luck. The silicones haven't been enough lately.

Truthfully, I'm just really excited not to have my hair literally tying itself into knots. Possibly I'll be able to gain some length over the next year instead of trimming or having the ends just crumbling away, that would be :disco:

Daydreamer.
August 24th, 2016, 01:50 AM
I have tangle problems, too. I find damp oiling helps with it. I open to other ideas, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.