PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to protect a section of hair from henna?

DizzyGinger
August 19th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I'm a natural redhead whose hair turned white-blonde. I have several pure white areas which I always liked despite wanting to have overall red hair. So when I used chemical dye, I'd separate a few white strands in tin foil and dye around it. Loved the effect.

Now that I'm using henna, I'd love to do that again. I did dye everything already. But as my roots come in, I remember how much I like those bits! How can I do the same with henna?? I'd use plastic wrap instead of tin foil of course. Can I like...rub vaseline on the roots of the areas I want to separate, to help keep the henna from staining it? Any thoughts?

ephemeri
August 19th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I would think a little vaseline and plastic wrap would do the trick. It also depends on how you're applying the henna. Are you using a bottle with a narrow tip and going row by row or doing the "mash it in everywhere" method?

Horrorpops
August 19th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Vaseline and cling film should offer some good protection but I second ephemeri - if might be easier to seperate the hair if you're using the sectioned application method. If you already apply like that then you are good to go!

A few white highlights amongst the henna does sound stunning! :o

DizzyGinger
August 19th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Yes I separate it up and then use a toothbrush and glops of it lol. Works for me!

Kome
August 19th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I had my bangs dyed bright pink for like five years while the rest was henna'd. I did just that. Plastic wrap, but I didn't bother with the vaseline, but if you're worried about it then go ahead and do that. if you get a little big of henna on it while applying, just wipe it off obviously. Should be fine! :D

maborosi
August 19th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Yup! Vaseline and a bit of cling wrap should do just fine! :)

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 04:29 AM
I'd wrap it. I would not count on the vaseline. Henna can dye through oil, and it can leave a stain even on a vaseline treated part of the hair. It won't block it completely. Yes, it's good for wiping the dye off the face, but I wouldn't trust it on hair.

Agnieszka
August 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I once put Vaseline on my two year old hair and there was no way of removing it. I washed his hair several times and it wouldn't go. Maybe it's ok with an adult's hair, but I thought I share it with you just in case :-)

Anje
August 20th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I think Vaseline would help, but I wouldn't count on it alone. Henna seems to go through normal oils just fine, and while vaseline is different, it doesn't seem like it'd provide complete protection. Section and wrap your hair up too.