PDA

View Full Version : Well... I suppose I have to say this.

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Hello longhairs!

I guess I should get right to the point. I cut my hair.

I am proud that I could keep myself from cutting to the point where I reached waist, broke my all time record held by 9-10 y/o me. I made it, I had my anniversary, I was happy.

After that I started thinking "why am I growing my hair", obviously I wanted long hair at some point, but I've come to realize that while I love long hair, I don't love it on me. In fact, I have never disliked my hair as much as I have this past year. The length made it flatter, it made it frizzier, it tangled, it stuck... Wearing a bun was comfortable, after pulling at random hairs for 10 minutes to make it not pull any tender spots. And then the bun would be in the way when trying to lean the head back when sitting on the bus/sofa/whatever, encouraging my already bad posture (forward head).
Did I even like how I looked wearing a bun? No, I looked strict, feminine and -not me-. Did I like how I looked with long hair loose? No, it looked feminine, flat and -not me- Why was I still trying to grow it long? I kept telling myself "cool braids", but seriously, would I do that every day? Would that be the only thing I liked with my hair?

I don't know why it took me so long to realize that it was my hair that made me feel icky, maybe it was the game, "grow it long", that made me blind to it.

I cut it off to what I believe is APL, not sure tbh. Somehow it still looks long, probably due to the massive volume boost it got from losing all that weight. I'm so happy to have my lion mane back, the hemline is thick, to the point where I had a very hard time cutting it (not sure how I will maintain this). It feels like I got life back in my hair, and it feels so good.

I have to say that it is slightly embarrassing, having said I want hair down to my thighs or whatever, and then just cut it off. Maybe I will try to grow it long again someday, since I am stubborn and forget things like this rather easily (uh).
I will keep hanging around this site since this is genuinely the best forum I know, such nice people gathered at the same place.

I can't really call myself a longhair anymore, but well, I still got hair.

Cheers :couch:

lithostoic
August 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Pics? o: I wanna see!

triumphator!
August 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM
It's chill :thumbsup: You don't have to justify yourself, you are welcome no matter how long your hair is!

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I'm so happy you love the new length! :D I bet it looks great on you! The feeling of "getting life back in hair" and the way it feels so good and that you enjoy it is the most important thing! What's the point in hair if we can't enjoy it, right? ;) Congratulations, Estrid! :cheer:

school of fish
August 19th, 2016, 10:10 AM
In my world APL is still long hair ;) And since this forum is as much about care as it is about length, I still think anyone who chooses to chop is just as relevant a presence as anyone who chooses to grow :D

I'm so glad you went with a decision that makes you feel good! That's what it's all about in the end. There's no reason in the world for you to feel sheepish about backing away from a length goal you had set for yourself - change happens. Far better to change the plan if it's no longer serving you than to feel dissatisfied sticking to a plan out of some sense of duty.

Enjoy your new hair!! :D

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Yes, pictures!!! :)

You have to do what's comfortable for *you*. Long hair isn't for everyone, that doesn't mean you can't be interested in good quality hair care. There's the APL thread around here (shoulder to APL + APL to BSL), so you can pick & choose. And of course you're not going anywhere, right? Right? :D

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Thank you, folks! And no, I'm staying here ;) I'll stay in the microtrim thread (like I've spent a lot of time there before, *I joined it after reaching waist* -cough-) and maybe I'll be in one of the APL threads, even if most people there are growing their hair.

Yeah, I'm just happy to feel like myself again, I didn't even realize that I had "gone missing" till I saw my reflection after the cut, like "yeah, there I am!" :bluebiggr

Pics? o: I wanna see!

I am completely incapable of taking decent pictures when I am in this mood, I made ugly faces on all of them, but if you insist, these are the most normal-looking ones I got:

https://i.imgur.com/WSGkpJP.jpg

and the normal type of LHC photo:

https://i.imgur.com/3aUHZ9o.jpg

I think I will have to ask mother to help me even this out... trimming was a lot easier when the hem was thinner.

or maybe it won't show after I shower... hmm.

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM
^ It looks stunning, Estrid! :applause Beautiful volume and color! :D Congratulations! :cheer:

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Thank you, meteor :o For some reason the camera makes it look less nice than it is, or maybe I'm just living in a glitter world atm.

Everything is gooood.

lithostoic
August 19th, 2016, 10:49 AM
It looks really nice!

HairPlease
August 19th, 2016, 10:53 AM
It looks beautiful! :flower:
I chopped today, too! I didn't have a good reason for growing my hair long. I've never even had it long, so, I tried it, did it, and realized it wasn't for me.
Your hair looks absolutely fantastic.

H o n є y ❤
August 19th, 2016, 10:55 AM
It looks so nice! It definitely still looks long and definitely voluminous! I always admire people who cut their hair when they feel it's right. Congrats!

Deborah
August 19th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Your hair is beautiful, and still nice and long! You certainly don't need to apologize for cutting your hair, and there are many lengths of 'long hair' around here. We don't all strive to have our hair as long as possible - more along the lines of 'as long as we like it'. Relax and enjoy your new length. It looks great! :cheer:

Sterlyn
August 19th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Your hair is lovely Estrid. I think that's what I like about this forum so much, it's more about finding what you like best and that's really all that matters. I think loving your hair at whatever length or color you choose is what is the most important thing. Life is too short to spend a year not liking your hair, when it's something that can be changed with a simple cut, besides if you change your mind later, it's hair and it grows. :)

And to echo what someone said upthread, APL isn't short to most of the folks in the rest of the world.

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you, everyone!

Even if I have had this length before, I don't think I have had this length with a hem like this, so a little new, it is :p I wonder how it looks after I've washed it (I think I'll do that in the morning, not because it's washday, but because I want to know)

:hollie:

...and yeah, APL isn't that short. On the bus on the way home from work I was considering collarbone, but I know my awkward length is somewhere around there, so I went with the safe first, and it was enough to bring the life back.

Stepo_NiNha
August 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Thank you, folks! And no, I'm staying here ;) I'll stay in the microtrim thread (like I've spent a lot of time there before, *I joined it after reaching waist* -cough-) and maybe I'll be in one of the APL threads, even if most people there are growing their hair.

Yeah, I'm just happy to feel like myself again, I didn't even realize that I had "gone missing" till I saw my reflection after the cut, like "yeah, there I am!" :bluebiggr

I am completely incapable of taking decent pictures when I am in this mood, I made ugly faces on all of them, but if you insist, these are the most normal-looking ones I got:

I think I will have to ask mother to help me even this out... trimming was a lot easier when the hem was thinner.

Its amazing!

If I had shorter hair this would be the length I would choose for myself somewhere around APL:)

Lisa Long4Life
August 19th, 2016, 11:36 AM
It's beautiful :)

Groovy Granny
August 19th, 2016, 11:44 AM
That looks awesome....and look at your beautiful eyes and complection....and your length is still long :thud:

I did the same thing last month actually....after reaching the longest length in my life (hip)....and turning 65 :o
Hip length weighed my hair down too much, and it was just heavy, lanky, in my way..... just blah! :p

So I cut back to waist ...put new life in it...and I LOVE it....as it can easily be worn up or down in all my favorite styles.

NO apologies are needed; we all need to go with our gut and do what makes us happy.

ENJOY :cheer:

vampyyri
August 19th, 2016, 11:54 AM
It looks fantastic, I'm glad you found your happy length!

Calypso
August 19th, 2016, 12:07 PM
It looks so beautiful and thick, and really suits you! :)

pailin
August 19th, 2016, 12:18 PM
It looks beautiful, and so do you. And I'm glad you're going to stick around :)
And for braids, there are still lots of cool braids you can do at APL, whenever you have the time and motivation.

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Oh it looks cute on you! And look at that thick hemline. :D I like it a lot!!!

Katem
August 19th, 2016, 12:51 PM

you are so cute! your hair looks amazing

diddiedaisy
August 19th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Wow, it looks really good. There's something in the air I think this week lol

Congratulations :)

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 02:16 PM

There probably is. LOL!

going gray
August 19th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Your hair is lovely thick & lush!

Wosie
August 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Your hair length is very cute and mighty becoming on you, Estrid! :D

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you everyone!

I wonder what my mother and grandmother will say, I didn't warn them about this. x)

vampyyri
August 19th, 2016, 02:33 PM

I really think there is :lol:

Horrorpops
August 19th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Estrid your hair is gorgeous! I am glad you are happy with your length now, I wouldn't encourage anyone to do something with their hair that didn't make them happy! I also can believe how thick and shiny your hair is - how have I not seen pictures until today!!

As I just wrote in a similar thread, a bit of maternal wisdom my mum always said to me was "it's just hair, it grows back". So please don't feel bad for trimming, your hair is gorgeous. :o

ETA (and a little off topic): pfft saying you can't take a nice photo, the ones you posted were so cute!! You look so pretty! You need to be nicer to yourself little lovely :)

Estrid
August 19th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Estrid your hair is gorgeous! I am glad you are happy with your length now, I wouldn't encourage anyone to do something with their hair that didn't make them happy! I also can believe how thick and shiny your hair is - how have I not seen pictures until today!!

As I just wrote in a similar thread, a bit of maternal wisdom my mum always said to me was "it's just hair, it grows back". So please don't feel bad for trimming, your hair is gorgeous. :o

ETA (and a little off topic): pfft saying you can't take a nice photo, the ones you posted were so cute!! You look so pretty! You need to be nicer to yourself little lovely :)

I was never careful about my hair before I joined this site and "wanted it loooong", I was that kind of person that might just cut it off with a kitchen scissor when I got tired of it. I think I will try to keep it APL for a while, it is tempting to go shorter but I think I will try to get used to this first.

And about the pictures, those were the more normal ones, I made faces on the rest.

Thank you again, everyone! I'll wash it now and see how it behaves, will probably look kinda the same, but hopefully the uneven hem is better hidden ;)

eadwine
August 20th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I can't see the pics :(

Estrid
August 20th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I can't see the pics :(

I can still see them, but it would make sense if they're gone since I removed them from the image hosting site (imgur). I accidentally shared them to the public, didn't see it before I woke up this morning (comments), awkward :bluebiggr

eadwine
August 20th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Ah.. yeah I see image does not exist or something like that.

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 04:17 AM
That's odd eadwine, because I can see them. :) Maybe she fixed it now?

eadwine
August 20th, 2016, 04:22 AM
Hard refreshed, still nope.

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Hard refreshed, still nope.

Maybe try a different browser? I can still see the pics. They don't come out of a private album on here, right?

Arctic
August 20th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Lapushka it might be that if you'd clear your browser's cache (where your browser automatically saves lot of data, including images, from all over the internet) you wouldn't see them either. I can't see them anymore.

Stray_mind
August 20th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Can't see the pics, but i am still happy for you.

Our bodies (including hair) are supposed to bring us joy and self confidence. As long as you feel good about cutting your hair and are really ready and really want it, it's all good.
After all, it Is just hair. It grows and if you want, you will grow it back. :)

Arctic
August 20th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Oops sorry Margo, I forgot to comment on your hair! It looks absolutely fabulous, and I think you did well on your hemline! The shape is really nice, gentle U. I think only 1a types can have a hemline that is like cut along a line, and even with them as soon as they move the illusion of perfect line breaks. Your hemline is as good as it gets IMHO.

Estrid
August 20th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Decided to take new photos since I removed (and already deleted) the other ones. Not that this is that exciting, but why not?

From this morning (hair still a bit damp) and just a moment ago (sorry about the crazy stare thing, I like to do that in pictures).

http://oi66.tinypic.com/99naf5.jpg

I've missed that poofy after-wash hair (more than I realized) :bluebiggr

lapushka
August 20th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Oh, you're so pretty & you look so cute with your new "do"! :D

eadwine
August 20th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Oh my gosh, seconded!!!

Groovy Granny
August 20th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I love it on you :thumbsup:

Estrid
August 21st, 2016, 03:44 AM
Thank you

Now I have to figure out what to do with all hair toys, maybe I should keep a few, but I think I should learn how paypal works and try to sell most of them.

lapushka
August 21st, 2016, 04:32 AM
Thank you

Now I have to figure out what to do with all hair toys, maybe I should keep a few, but I think I should learn how paypal works and try to sell most of them.

I wouldn't sell all of them, though. Maybe make a selection and keep your favorites. You never know when the long hair bug might hit you again. :flower: If it hits you again. ;)

Estrid
August 21st, 2016, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't sell all of them, though. Maybe make a selection and keep your favorites. You never know when the long hair bug might hit you again. :flower: If it hits you again. ;)

Yeah, I just realised that I can still use jeterforks (can make a weirdlooking cinnabun with them), so I will keep most of those, and I see that I've misplaced some of the things I've used the most, so they probably won't go anywhere anytime soon x) and then I know that mother is interested...

Silly thing is, I bought many LIs and did not use them much at all, I guess they're not my thing.

lapushka
August 21st, 2016, 05:08 AM
I have 2 LI, a black/light blue marbled one and an ice pick, bought back when they weren't yet so popular and you could still get one. ;)

Estrid
August 21st, 2016, 05:16 AM
^.^

Yeah, if I ever want to try again (which I shouldn't but I guess I might) I could always get new ones, either from the shop (if they're still around then) or second hand from someone on here :p

Question (if anyone knows): do I have to link my paypal to my bank to be able to transfer money from paypal to my bank? or can I do that with only my card information? (I'm lazy so why not ask).

eadwine
August 21st, 2016, 06:43 AM
You don't have to link it. You can transfer money from your bank account into paypal.

Jadestorm
August 21st, 2016, 06:57 AM
I have to say that it is slightly embarrassing, having said I want hair down to my thighs or whatever, and then just cut it off.

Don't be embarrassed! It's a good thing you realized you were not actually enjoying your long hair, and isn't that what it's all about? For you to be HAPPY? :o
Sometimes people are so focused on growing their hair, that they forgot it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more important to feel comfortable and happy with your hair, than it is to be able to say: 'oh, look, I don't really like how it feels, but see how long it is?'

For me, when it's past the shoulders it is considered 'long', so you are still a long hair in my book ;) It looks great! And even if it was super short, that doesn't mean you're not more than welcome here of course! ;)

Estrid
August 21st, 2016, 07:23 AM
It is not that embarrassing, haha, it's more like, why did I have to say that? :p Oh well. Thank you

You don't have to link it. You can transfer money from your bank account into paypal.

The other way around as well (put money from paypal into bank)?

I suppose I should just go with it, it's not like the money will disappear just because I can't transfer them right away, so I'll have time to figure it out x)

When taking payment, it's just to give them the email I've used for paypal? I guess they will show me who sent the money by showing their paypal email? I don't know why but I don't find this information on their site, maybe I'm blind atm.

lapushka
August 21st, 2016, 09:00 AM

I don't have it linked either. I manually transfer money from my bank account into PP. The bank and data on that are somewhere in the account. Here it's the Deutsche bank (used to be a different bank!!! so be careful everyone who's manually transfering - they didn't actually warn people when they switched)!

Estrid
September 3rd, 2016, 02:30 PM
Since some requested and I had nothing better to do I decided to share photos of current hair as well (I cut it off to collarbone)

It's dark outside so the photos got a bit odd in colour, and my hair has been battling all kinds off things today, but whatever.

Here I am with my hair, I can make tiny braids that can stand out from my head and I can also make that weird updo which I guess is somekind of twist.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/xn6838.jpg

I am amazed that I'm not dipping my hair into food anymore xD weird how things like that became normal when my hair was longer...

lapushka
September 3rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
It's really cute! :D You look great with your hair at any length! :D

HairPlease
September 3rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
It looks awesome and so do you! :D It's so nice that you're happy with your new length. I did the same thing (again). Here's to fresh, bouncy length! :beerchug:
https://s10.postimg.org/qkrebr76h/IMG_20160903_155639.jpg

Estrid
September 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you :p

It looks awesome and so do you! :D It's so nice that you're happy with your new length. I did the same thing (again). Here's to fresh, bouncy length! :beerchug:
https://s10.postimg.org/qkrebr76h/IMG_20160903_155639.jpg

Haha, it's getting kinda funny, isn't it! :bluebiggr Looks great! And yep :beercheer: Bouncy, light and (in my case) poofy hair, welcome back to our lives!

HairPlease
September 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Haha, it's getting kinda funny, isn't it! :bluebiggr Looks great! And yep :beercheer: Bouncy, light and (in my case) poofy hair, welcome back to our lives!

I'm so glad to have it back. Mine is only poofy on day 1 after a wash. I'm the most satisfied with it on day 3 (pictured). It's not a nice poofy I get like yours is, though. It's more of a really out of control, nasty, straight, ugly poof. :rollin: That will go away when I grow out the bleach, though. Seriously though your color looks amazing, I have to ask, do you do anything to enhance it or is that entirely natural? It almost looks highlighted in the bun picture.

vampyyri
September 3rd, 2016, 04:41 PM
It's funny how you two keep doing this :lol:

HairPlease
September 3rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
It's funny how you two keep doing this :lol:

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Adiro
September 3rd, 2016, 05:32 PM
Estrid, you look beautiful!

Groovy Granny
September 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM
I love that look on you Margo; your hair looks so thick and has great texture :thumbsup:

Estrid
September 3rd, 2016, 11:07 PM
Thank you, everyone :redgrin:

I love the big poofy hair on me, maybe because that is what I've come to know as "me", maybe not as "professional" as non-poofy hair that can be put up neatly, but I don't care.
My haircolour is all natural, but the colour in those pictures is a bit off due to it being so dark when I took them :p I remember that I used to like the second day after wash the most when it came to my hair, now I hardly see any difference, or maybe it will come x)

HairPlease
September 4th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Thank you, everyone :redgrin:

I love the big poofy hair on me, maybe because that is what I've come to know as "me", maybe not as "professional" as non-poofy hair that can be put up neatly, but I don't care.
My haircolour is all natural, but the colour in those pictures is a bit off due to it being so dark when I took them :p I remember that I used to like the second day after wash the most when it came to my hair, now I hardly see any difference, or maybe it will come x)

I absolutely adore the poofy hair! I wish mine would do that instead of just frizzing up - I end up looking like a 2a version of Hagrid. :lol: You natural color is beautiful - you're one lucky person. :D I get a huge difference on day 2, maybe it's because of my hair's intense damage, it just soaks up the scalp oil and smooths down.

vampyyri
September 4th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I absolutely adore the poofy hair! I wish mine would do that instead of just frizzing up - I end up looking like a 2a version of Hagrid. :lol: You natural color is beautiful - you're one lucky person. :D I get a huge difference on day 2, maybe it's because of my hair's intense damage, it just soaks up the scalp oil and smooths down.

Have you tried an SMT? Those usually calm down my frizz to virtually nothing!

HairPlease
September 4th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Have you tried an SMT? Those usually calm down my frizz to virtually nothing!

I have not. It's worth a go though, I'll never know if it works for me or not until I try! :D

vampyyri
September 4th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I have not. It's worth a go though, I'll never know if it works for me or not until I try! :D

It is definitely worth a shot! It's as simple as cone-free conditioner, aloe gel, and honey warmed up and left on the hair under a shower cap for 30 minutes to an hour. I personally omit the honey because my hair HATES honey, but I would try the full recipe first: magical link of wonder! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)

morrigan*
September 4th, 2016, 07:52 AM
You look great Estrid, that length really suits you.

HairPlease
September 4th, 2016, 08:29 AM
It is definitely worth a shot! It's as simple as cone-free conditioner, aloe gel, and honey warmed up and left on the hair under a shower cap for 30 minutes to an hour. I personally omit the honey because my hair HATES honey, but I would try the full recipe first: magical link of wonder! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)

Thanks, vampyyri! I'll get to it! Back to Estrid's topic, now. :rollin: Apologies for the brief hijack.

Johannah
September 4th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I think this length really suits you. Beautiful! :flower:

Arctic
September 4th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Love it Margo! Collarbone length is one of my own happy lengths too, it is so incredibly flattering on many, also on you! Great choice of length and I am happy to read you feel comfortable now!

Estrid
September 4th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Thank you, everyone!

brookse
September 4th, 2016, 12:16 PM
It looks really beautiful! Always the best decision to go with what feels like and reflects 'us' back to ourselves, and therefore the world around us

lapushka
September 4th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I wish I could pull off a nice APL, or CBL, but alas, my "Hagrid" hair won't let me. Or, I'd have to roundbrush it to bits or look like a wild mushroom. I have a special heated roundbrush for that, it's got hot plates underneath the brush, so it's pretty much like straightening. No, that is a no-go. But who knows, I might one day go back to it. You never know. Never say never. ;)