PDA

View Full Version : Heavy hair ....

Drosmand7
August 18th, 2016, 06:41 PM
:shrug:

Hi All,

I wondering how do you deal with heavy hair. I'm finding that after my hair has been in a bun all day I start to get a headache, the things we do for beauty. 😄

MidnightMoon
August 18th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Well, in your case your problem perhaps isn't exactly heavy hair as you seem to have fine hair, or medium-fine, so it's probably a matter of not properly bunning your hair, or distributing the weight.
Also, you might be doing the same bun over and over, so it pulls or hurts in the same place every day, or it might be too tight.
In my case, I always try to use small pins in different parts of the bun, specially where most of the weight is concentrated in. If I do a cinnamon bun I always put one or two pins on each "loop", and two or three in the first one, where hair is the heaviest. I try to take a bit of scalp hair so the bun isn't just sort of floating and hanging from bits of hair.
You might one to practice a few different buns/ with different hair toys/styles and see if there is any that fits you best. A bun should't give you a headache, you scalp might be a bit uncomfortable some days by the end of the day, but it shouldn't be bothering you so much.

CarrotTop
August 18th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I feel your pain with heavy hair! :shrug: I've found that updos like crown braids distribute the weight the best for me. Also, if you're wearing the type of bun that you can let down and redo quickly, you could try taking a time when you're stationary and letting it down. For instance, right now, lazing around at home, I'm sitting in a huge recliner chair with my hair down and draped over the back of the chair. When I get up, I'll tie it up again, but having it down for a little while keeps the headaches away. :)

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I struggle with it sometimes, and my hair isn't all that thick. For me, a lot of the trick is how the hair is positioned and what's holding it. Buns lower on my head tend to be more comfortable for me than high ones. (Some people like positioning them right on top of the head so the weight of the hair is supported by the head instead of hanging on by the roots of their hair, but my follicles tend to complain when I put them in that sort of position for long.)

I'm fond of hairsticks and forks for securing things, but they have to be horizontal or on a fairly shallow diagonal. Too steep an angle seems to distribute the weight across too few hairs, and it gets uncomfortable within hours.

Lately, I've noticed that I consistently get a sore area on one side of my crown, and I'm beginning to attribute that to the direction I typically twist my hair when bunning it. For the moment, I'm doing more braided buns and buns that don't start with twisting my hair, which seems to help.

When it all starts to hurt, ultimately, I let my hair down and perhaps just braid it. At minimum, I redo the style. No sense in letting a sore spot turn into a full-blown headache.

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Oh wow! I have to chime in here... I am at TBL- 37 inches--3b/F/iii and when I put my hair into a wet/damp lwb, it does pull on different strands and gets so heavy!! It helps to do a nautilus bun instead of a lwb and I secure it with a hairstick also, for support, even though it stays up without a hairstick. Some use two- 2 inch claw clips-- one on each side of the bun for weight distribution. Try to keep your buns on the looser side and hopefully this will help with your headaches.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. Usually I get headachy if I am hungry, dehydrated or overtired-- especially overtired. :(:hmm:

Good luck!!! and Hugs! :flower:

spidermom
August 18th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Twin buns.

pailin
August 18th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Pairs of sticks might help to distribute weight better. Also milkmaid braids might be easier than crown braids, and still distribute weight. Also I find there's a sweet spot in how tight I make buns- too tight and it's uncomfortable, but if it's not tight enough, it will pull. And some days no matter what I do it feels like it's pulling - usually that's when I have a headache and the only thing to do is a braid instead.
Also I find Ficcare buns tend to pull more than stick buns, for me at least (I'm thinking of rehoming mine).

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 04:54 AM
It depends. Are you bunning too soon?

I have iii hair as well, and only could *comfortably* start wearing a LWB (lazy wrap bun) at waist/hip length. Before that it can feel too heavy due to pulling the hair too taught to be able to bun. I have no idea what 35 inches is? What's your current length in terms of markers?

Horrorpops
August 19th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Lapushka based on OPs signature I am assuming they're at TBL :o

OP, I can only second everyone's suggests for distributing the hair more evenly by using more pins or multiple buns and finding the perfect bun tension - not too loose and not too tight! I find braided bubs much more comfortable in that regard.

However for me, perhaps because I'm only at waist and my hair is fine, I don't personally suffer from headaches etc due to my hair. But definitely if you feel it pulling take the style down and redo or braid it! You don't want your hair affecting your concentration or comfort. :) I am also quite nervy about hair being too tight and pulling the hairs out! That is just a personal worry though I think :laugh:

Sorry I don't have more suggestions!

Cg
August 19th, 2016, 08:59 AM
As others have noted, weight distribution is vital. So -- braided styles that wrap, forks or paired sticks rather than single sticks, plus extra spin pinning, clips, or bobbies. A true coronet braid is ideal when hair is long enough. And occasional topknots because they work with gravity.

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I started having this problem as soon as I started bunning hair... I think sometimes switching to a simple braid or pigtail braids is a good option when the scalp is feeling particularly sensitive/tight/uncomfortable... Don't just push through pain, but take the bun down and give yourself a quick scalp massage. :flower: If you absolutely need to put hair up, try pinning the braids around the scalp, like Milkmaid/Heidi braids or Coronet braids (depending on how long the hair is). I found Horseshoe Braided Bun and Woven Crown (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/) pretty good for weight distribution, too.

Double/multiple buns (placed side-by-side or stacked on top of each other - whichever is more comfortable for you) can really help with weight distribution, too.

Personally, I stick with braided buns because they help with weight distribution a bit more IMHO (and they prevent tangles and stay put better). Also, I had to give up on my trusty braided LWB since Classic length unfortunately, because my hair now feels too heavy for that one (and maybe for other center-held buns :hmm:, I don't know). But I switched to braided double-looped LWB or Spidermom's Bun and Braided L-Infinity Bun, which use 2 loops, so the weight of the bun is a lot more comfortable now. :)
There are also a couple variations of LWB for long hair, which works for some people: by schmetterlinchen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sqx1uuCdE and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q

The Disc Bun which splits thickness in two but basically follows LWB motions, work well for some, as well. The Vortex Bun can great for weight distribution, though it does require quite a lot of pins. If you know how to French-braid, Pinless French Braided Bun is really good for weight distribution, it's almost like a coronet braid in terms of comfort. Amish Braided Bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids and Ellingwoman Braided Bun are good for weight distribution and don't require much in terms of pinning, but be careful pushing hair through "hair pockets" to avoid breakage.
Sectioned buns can help a ton as well, for example, starting from a half-up bun (twisting or braiding and then wrapping the remaining hair around it) or a combo of a bun and 2 coronet braids or doing Regency Buns, which allow to split hair in sections. Not only do they distribute the weight a lot better than full buns, they also look a lot more elaborate but are easy to do.
Torrinpaige had a good video for getting short/thick hair all the way up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

Basically, don't be afraid to modify the buns that you already know to make them distribute your length and thickness better. ;)

LongCurlyTress
August 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I started having this problem as soon as I started bunning hair... I think sometimes switching to a simple braid or pigtail braids is a good option when the scalp is feeling particularly sensitive/tight/uncomfortable... Don't just push through pain, but take the bun down and give yourself a quick scalp massage. :flower: If you absolutely need to put hair up, try pinning the braids around the scalp, like Milkmaid/Heidi braids or Coronet braids (depending on how long the hair is). I found Horseshoe Braided Bun and Woven Crown (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/) pretty good for weight distribution, too.

Double/multiple buns (placed side-by-side or stacked on top of each other - whichever is more comfortable for you) can really help with weight distribution, too.

Personally, I stick with braided buns because they help with weight distribution a bit more IMHO (and they prevent tangles and stay put better). Also, I had to give up on my trusty braided LWB since Classic length unfortunately, because my hair now feels too heavy for that one (and maybe for other center-held buns :hmm:, I don't know). But I switched to braided double-looped LWB or Spidermom's Bun and Braided L-Infinity Bun, which use 2 loops, so the weight of the bun is a lot more comfortable now. :)
There are also a couple variations of LWB for long hair, which works for some people: by schmetterlinchen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sqx1uuCdE and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q

The Disc Bun which splits thickness in two but basically follows LWB motions, work well for some, as well. The Vortex Bun can great for weight distribution, though it does require quite a lot of pins. If you know how to French-braid, Pinless French Braided Bun is really good for weight distribution, it's almost like a coronet braid in terms of comfort. Amish Braided Bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids and Ellingwoman Braided Bun are good for weight distribution and don't require much in terms of pinning, but be careful pushing hair through "hair pockets" to avoid breakage.
Sectioned buns can help a ton as well, for example, starting from a half-up bun (twisting or braiding and then wrapping the remaining hair around it) or a combo of a bun and 2 coronet braids or doing Regency Buns, which allow to split hair in sections. Not only do they distribute the weight a lot better than full buns, they also look a lot more elaborate but are easy to do.
Torrinpaige had a good video for getting short/thick hair all the way up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

Basically, don't be afraid to modify the buns that you already know to make them distribute your length and thickness better. ;)

Excellent solutions meteor!! ;) Which body marker has your hair grow to at 135cm?

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Excellent solutions meteor!! ;) Which body marker has your hair grow to at 135cm?

Thanks a lot, LongCurlyTress! :flowers: Though I'll admit, sometimes I have to try a couple different options before I can find something works :oops: - it depends on random scalp tenderness that day, but also depends on how active I am that day or how long the hair has to stay up in the same updo, etc...
Oh, and I'm past finger-tip / a bit past mid-thigh right now.

LongCurlyTress
August 19th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks a lot, LongCurlyTress! :flowers: Though I'll admit, sometimes I have to try a couple different options before I can find something works :oops: - it depends on random scalp tenderness that day, but also depends on how active I am that day or how long the hair has to stay up in the same updo, etc...
Oh, and I'm past finger-tip / a bit past mid-thigh right now.

Wow!! Well since you have been successful with growing your hair to mid-thigh, you must know alot of great secrets!! Thanks for taking the time to share them so thoroughly! ;) Recently, my length has been getting challenging since it's so thick. Detangling can take on a life of its own and I almost want to cry if any hairs break off during the process. Your comments are always so informative and encouraging! :blossom:

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 01:44 PM
^ :o Thank you so much, LongCurlyTress! You are too kind! :flowers:
I wish I new any hair secrets :oops: but I honestly think in my case, I owe a lot to simple benign neglect and avoiding damage (where I can) and unnecessary cuts.

I love reading your really helpful, supportive and encouraging posts, LCT! :love:

And I totally agree with you about detangling :agree: - it's such a major struggle for me, too... I wish I had solutions, but other than keeping hair in braided buns and maybe washing hair in braids and sleeping with hair contained and covered in silky material and not avoiding cones (or any ingredients that add slip) and using smooth combs with good spacing between teeth, I don't really know what else can help... I'm always on the lookout for new detangling tips and ideas. :)

LongCurlyTress
August 19th, 2016, 04:04 PM
^ :o Thank you so much, LongCurlyTress! You are too kind! :flowers:
I wish I new any hair secrets :oops: but I honestly think in my case, I owe a lot to simple benign neglect and avoiding damage (where I can) and unnecessary cuts.

I love reading your really helpful, supportive and encouraging posts, LCT! :love:

And I totally agree with you about detangling :agree: - it's such a major struggle for me, too... I wish I had solutions, but other than keeping hair in braided buns and maybe washing hair in braids and sleeping with hair contained and covered in silky material and not avoiding cones (or any ingredients that add slip) and using smooth combs with good spacing between teeth, I don't really know what else can help... I'm always on the lookout for new detangling tips and ideas. :)

Yep!! Nice to know that we iii's are on the same page, er post, rather...so to speak! LOL... Thank you!! I hope maybe I have helped and encouraged you too, but I have a sneaky feeling that it is usually the other way around. Cheers! :beerchug:

meteor
August 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM
^ Oh, LCT, you've most definitely helped and encouraged me a lot (and I'm sure many others)! :agree: :flowers:
It's great to know that some frustrations with managing "rebellious" hair are par for the course and to be expected. ;)
I also remind myself of the awesome pinterest boards and names of super-longhairs you've shared when I think of cutting hair off, and the urge to cut goes away... I owe you a big Thank You for that, too! :flowers: :heartbeat

Drosmand7
August 30th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Thank you so so much, everyone!! This helps out so much!!!

MidnightMoon - you're right I have been bunning in the same place, by habit really. I need to change it up a bit because it seems that having the bun mid-head prohibits me from placing my head all the way back while I drive, another thing I need to avoid :rolleyes: Thanks for your feedback :cheer:

CarrotTop - lol furniture is my best friend, I tend to do that too.:couch: I'll need to give myself a break and rearrange. I'll try out those crown braids, thanks!

Anje - I've always did the twist and bun but I've never had my hair this long, I guess we found the culprit :justy: I'm guilty of the deep hairsticks, I didn't know shallow would actually hold in place thank you :thumbsup: I'm learning the art, slow and steady

LongCurlyTress you're so sweet!! You feel my pain (I'm 36.5 2a-b/F/iii) and ah yes I've tried out the nautilus, biiiig difference! :cloud9: I've nevered tried the claw, yay! a reason to go on Etsy :wethree: thank you for all the love :heartbeat

spidermom genius idea I'll have to try it, thank you :heart:

pailin I had to google milkmaid buns, super cute! :cheer: I'll look up Ficcare buns, I'm a newbie at this, so much to learn, thanks a bunch!

Drosmand7
August 30th, 2016, 10:36 PM
lapushka I'm at 36.5 cm so for me that's tailbone (I need to update my signiture) but yeah I'll look up the LWB and definitely use it, thank you so much :blossom:

Horrorpops you're like me, whenever I feel that a hair got pulled down it drives me nuts!! :slap: I too have fine hair and it needs all the love it can get, I have to be so gentle with it. I'll definitely try braiding it, thank you!! :flower:

Cg I'm guilty of the single stick (sometimes nothing but a scrunchie) which is probably not helping my situation, I'll look up the topknots and give it go, thank you so much :flowers:

Drosmand7
August 30th, 2016, 10:36 PM
:blossom:meteor:blossom: wow!!! you went above and beyond!!!! Thank you so so so much!! That's a wealth of knoweldge right there, just what I needed!! You're amazing!! :love::love::love::love::love: I took a screenshot and saved it!! This is absolutely amazing!! I'll try each one out! Thank you!! :love::love::love: we're really lucky to have you here!