PDA

View Full Version : Q: Braiding question about Haartraum video > braiding her own hair

ADG
August 18th, 2016, 06:40 PM
This video along with MissySue has probably been the most helpful for me learning how to braid my own hair.
I like the way she gribs and pulls the hair (NOT TO MENTION HER HAIR IS THICK AND GORGEOUS, and I assure this is the complete opposite of my hair).

I have a question, and I am hoping others can help me based on this video:

https://youtu.be/AbLfVVjgHQA

QUESTIONS?
I notice her using the pinchers (thumb and first/index finger) to hold the outer strands, which hair is being added.

Q1: WHERE and how is she holding the third strand?
Is the 3rd strand dropped or placed into her hand elsewhere?

Q2: If so, which fingers is she using to hold the 3rd strand?

Q3: Is she braiding 1 or 2 times more BEFORE adding hair to the braid?
It just looks like she is making more movements for some reason BEFORE adding the hair.

If you braiding experts can help me, please tell me.
Thank you so much.

MidnightMoon
August 18th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Crazy motor skills?
Invisible tiny fairies helping?
Harry Potter?
:p
Sorry, no idea actually, I am more than awful at braiding.

vampyyri
August 18th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Oh... I don't know, I usually just use the fingers that are free to hold each strand and alternate hands for each side of a french/dutch braid. One movement to add hair, and then one movement to braid it in... if there's a superior method, I'm totally doing it wrong :lol:

ADG
August 18th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Oh... I don't know, I usually just use the fingers that are free to hold each strand and alternate hands for each side of a french/dutch braid. One movement to add hair, and then one movement to braid it in... if there's a superior method, I'm totally doing it wrong :lol:

No, there is definitely NO ONE WAY! ;)
As long as it gets braided, no problem!
I can't seem to keep all 3 strands (meaning I lose one somewhere along the way)! HUH!
That is why I liked her video so much (above), but her hair is so thick, which is definitely an advantage vs. thin - baby fine hair that looks like strings. ;)

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 08:14 PM
I don't always hold all three strands. If I have two, then all the hair that's loose is the third. When I french braid my hair, the middle strand normally hangs loose -- all I have to do I lift my hand away from my head a little, and that middle strand is clearly separate from the hair that's not been braided yet.

But don't start with french braids. Start with simple (aka English) braids.

Edit: To answer your questions, she's only doing one "stitch" of her braids each time she adds hair. The rest is crossing things over, because (unlike me) she keeps all the strands in her hands. As Torrin Paige describes it, each gap between fingers is a "slot" where you can keep a section of hair separate. All the little movements are her shuffling things from slot to slot. I don't braid quite that way, though, so my hand positions are different. (My hand positions are basically what I learned in that Anne Johnson Hair book I mentioned in an earlier post to you.)

ADG
August 18th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I don't always hold all three strands. If I have two, then all the hair that's loose is the third. When I french braid my hair, the middle strand normally hangs loose -- all I have to do I lift my hand away from my head a little, and that middle strand is clearly separate from the hair that's not been braided yet.

But don't start with french braids. Start with simple (aka English) braids.

Edit: To answer your questions, she's only doing one "stitch" of her braids each time she adds hair. The rest is crossing things over, because (unlike me) she keeps all the strands in her hands. As Torrin Paige describes it, each gap between fingers is a "slot" where you can keep a section of hair separate. All the little movements are her shuffling things from slot to slot. I don't braid quite that way, though, so my hand positions are different. (My hand positions are basically what I learned in that Anne Johnson Hair book I mentioned in an earlier post to you.)

Thank you so much!
Your explanation definitely helps.
I have ordered the Karen Ribble Braid Your Own Hair pack, so the package should be arriving soon. Maybe I can check out Anne Johnson as well.
I really want to hold all the strands in one hand if possible, but I am finding that way more difficult rather than just letting one fall (middle strand).

Can I PLEASE ask you this?
How do YOU transition from braiding down your head to down the side?
Do you still hold your fingers the same or change, because now you are going __ vs |?

Saige
August 18th, 2016, 09:34 PM
This looks the same as how I braid. I hold all 3 pieces in one hand. One section is held between my thumb and index finger, the middle section is held between my middle and ring fingers, the 3rd section is held by my pinkie. Really, use whatever fingers you have to use to do the job. It doesn't matter, just so the outer section goes over the middle section. It also might help to not think about what has to be held where, instead think of the motions of each section (outer strand over middle strand). Sometimes it's easy to over-analyse it and make it harder than it really is :)

Chromis
August 18th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I hold my fingers differently for French braiding than for three strand, when I get to the nape I change my hold. I don't recall you answering if you can do a normal three strand braid?

I start with my hair behind my head for regular braids too. I don't move it to over my shoulder until I have done a couple of inches at least and then I hold them the same way still. I have to hold all three in one hand just to swap position, but then I gently sort them back to using both hands. I let the middle strand fall and smooth down with each pass or at most every two or three passes (but I tend to regret that! Each pass is better for me.) I am still going downwards not holding it to the side. When my braid is too long to reach I wrap it around my neck like a scarf and keep going.

I learned from the Dreamweaver braiding site that was already linked to you.

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Thank you so much!
Your explanation definitely helps.
I have ordered the Karen Ribble Braid Your Own Hair pack, so the package should be arriving soon. Maybe I can check out Anne Johnson as well.
I really want to hold all the strands in one hand if possible, but I am finding that way more difficult rather than just letting one fall (middle strand).

Can I PLEASE ask you this?
How do YOU transition from braiding down your head to down the side?
Do you still hold your fingers the same or change, because now you are going __ vs |?

Like braiding pigtails? Or what do I do when I can't reach anymore and need to pull the braid over a shoulder?

Pigtails, I do exactly the same as a single braid. My hands are just shifted a bit.
Over the shoulder, I make sure that the surface of the braid that would be against my back is facing outward, and cross the hair out from the middle (if you were looking at me, I suppose). Though I've seen the rather brilliant solution of folding the braid over your head instead of dragging it over your shoulder, to really prevent twisting.

OK, I'm back. I just french-braided my hair and paid attention to my hands as I went through it. (It's also worth noting that french braiding might get tricky in a few months, when I can't reach my ends anymore! Eeep!) Doing a french or english braid on my own hair, I only hold two sections at any given time. On someone else's hair, I think I hold 3 sections, but I french braid my own hair with my palms facing my head, and I french braid others' hair with my palms outward.

So during the french braid part (where the hair is attached to your head and you're adding new hair), I drop the middle strand each time. So to add hair from the right, I scoop some up with my right hand and add it to the right-most section. Then I reach under that section with my right hand while lifting the hair a bit with the left. I grab the free-hanging middle section between thumb and forefinger and pull it right, underneath the other sections. The section that just got added to is in the middle now. I grab the leftmost section between my right forefinger and middle finger, and I let the middle section hang. Then I go to add hair on the left side. Add hair to left section, then grab the middle section with my left hand and pull it under. Grab the right-most section between fore- and middle fingers, while allowing the new middle section (with new hair added to it) to drop free.

I may have to weedle the husband to film this, but I'm not sure it'll be very informative. The way I braid, I suspect my hands will hide much of the forming braid. It's also worth mentioning that every pass or two of the braid, I run my free hand all the way down a section of hair to pull it free from the rest. If I don't do this, the ends braid themselves together backward and it becomes a big mess quickly. How much you need to do this is going to be largely length-dependent.

Anyway, when I get to the free-hanging english portion of the braid, I notice that I only ever hold two sections. My grasp is different though. I hold the leftward two sections in my left hand while letting the rightmost stick out and hang freely over a finger. I grab that with my right hand as I cross things around, and end up holding the two rightward sections in my right hand.

It's worth mentioning that I got the hang of doing an inside-out (aka Dutch) braid before I learned to French braid. It was a bit easier to keep the sectioning straight with that one.

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I have no idea how anyone with very long hair does this since my hair gets all tangled up and shreads/velcrows my hemline as I pull new sections of hair to weave in and out and all my fingers are so busy trying to keep the criss cross pattern going while taking out the tangles as I work my way down. And I do detangle beforehand but still the tearing occurs in the hemline area. I have not been able to do a french braid since reaching bsl. ;(

Sadly, I gave up on a french braid long ago. But I love how pretty it looks!! ;(

Tassledown
August 18th, 2016, 11:11 PM
QUESTIONS?
I notice her using the pinchers (thumb and first/index finger) to hold the outer strands, which hair is being added.

Q1: WHERE and how is she holding the third strand?
Is the 3rd strand dropped or placed into her hand elsewhere?

Q2: If so, which fingers is she using to hold the 3rd strand?

Q3: Is she braiding 1 or 2 times more BEFORE adding hair to the braid?
It just looks like she is making more movements for some reason BEFORE adding the hair.

If you braiding experts can help me, please tell me.
Thank you so much.

Lemme see if I can put this into good words. I wouldn't call myself a braiding expert, but I think I can answer you...

Q1 & 2: Judging by what I could see, if she braids like I do the strand opposite the side being added to is tucked into the last two fingers of the hand (pinky and ring.) The middle strand I will grip either with my middle finger or index, depending on how I feel that day and if I'm French or Dutch braiding. (Sometimes one or the other will 'feel' better for each kind, although I'm still new to Dutch braiding.)
I will sometimes drop the middle section or the far section, but I find it very hard to pick it up again, especially when I'm French or Dutch braiding because of the loose hair below, thus I try to avoid it.

Q3: I think the movements between "stitches" as Anje called it that you're confused by are her rearranging the strands. I find that I have to use one hand position to gather the new hair into the section so I can smooth it out more easily and then have to swap the sections between my fingers (i.e. from index to middle, or middle to index, usually) in order to pull the added strand over the middle one cleanly, so while it's technically only one stitch my hands have to do several movements to "finish" it properly.

I hope that helps!

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 05:01 AM
At some point it's about motor skills and practice. You just have to stick your fingers in your hair and go to town and try and try, try some more and try again. There is no one that can explain and keep explaining this (seriously) as long as you don't practice. You are practicing, right? ;)

In my teens it took a long time for me to learn how to braid, and back then I didn't have YT or a book, or anything. I just... tried on my head again and again and at one point... just did it.

It helps to add in hair with the thumbs, while the rest of the fingers hold the hair. That's how I do it.

Can't wait until you shout out to say, yes I can do it! And please post pics then. Right? :D

ADG
August 19th, 2016, 05:58 AM
This looks the same as how I braid. I hold all 3 pieces in one hand. One section is held between my thumb and index finger, the middle section is held between my middle and ring fingers, the 3rd section is held by my pinkie. Really, use whatever fingers you have to use to do the job. It doesn't matter, just so the outer section goes over the middle section. It also might help to not think about what has to be held where, instead think of the motions of each section (outer strand over middle strand). Sometimes it's easy to over-analyse it and make it harder than it really is :)

Saige,
You are so correct - just think of the best motions for yourself.
I am definitely making this hard, because I WANT ALL 3 STRANDS IN THE FINGERS, and this may not be the best way for me?

I hold my fingers differently for French braiding than for three strand, when I get to the nape I change my hold. I don't recall you answering if you can do a normal three strand braid?

I start with my hair behind my head for regular braids too. I don't move it to over my shoulder until I have done a couple of inches at least and then I hold them the same way still. I have to hold all three in one hand just to swap position, but then I gently sort them back to using both hands. I let the middle strand fall and smooth down with each pass or at most every two or three passes (but I tend to regret that! Each pass is better for me.) I am still going downwards not holding it to the side. When my braid is too long to reach I wrap it around my neck like a scarf and keep going.

I learned from the Dreamweaver braiding site that was already linked to you.

Chromis,
Thank you.
Yes, I can do a normal 3 strand braid.
For some reason, I am not understanding which videos are best with the Dreamweaver Braiding site (http://archive.is/3EIBG#selection-219.0-223.8)?
Where is the best place to start there?

Like braiding pigtails? Or what do I do when I can't reach anymore and need to pull the braid over a shoulder?

Pigtails, I do exactly the same as a single braid. My hands are just shifted a bit.
Over the shoulder, I make sure that the surface of the braid that would be against my back is facing outward, and cross the hair out from the middle (if you were looking at me, I suppose). Though I've seen the rather brilliant solution of folding the braid over your head instead of dragging it over your shoulder, to really prevent twisting.

OK, I'm back. I just french-braided my hair and paid attention to my hands as I went through it. (It's also worth noting that french braiding might get tricky in a few months, when I can't reach my ends anymore! Eeep!) Doing a french or english braid on my own hair, I only hold two sections at any given time. On someone else's hair, I think I hold 3 sections, but I french braid my own hair with my palms facing my head, and I french braid others' hair with my palms outward.

So during the french braid part (where the hair is attached to your head and you're adding new hair), I drop the middle strand each time. So to add hair from the right, I scoop some up with my right hand and add it to the right-most section. Then I reach under that section with my right hand while lifting the hair a bit with the left. I grab the free-hanging middle section between thumb and forefinger and pull it right, underneath the other sections. The section that just got added to is in the middle now. I grab the leftmost section between my right forefinger and middle finger, and I let the middle section hang. Then I go to add hair on the left side. Add hair to left section, then grab the middle section with my left hand and pull it under. Grab the right-most section between fore- and middle fingers, while allowing the new middle section (with new hair added to it) to drop free.

I may have to weedle the husband to film this, but I'm not sure it'll be very informative. The way I braid, I suspect my hands will hide much of the forming braid. It's also worth mentioning that every pass or two of the braid, I run my free hand all the way down a section of hair to pull it free from the rest. If I don't do this, the ends braid themselves together backward and it becomes a big mess quickly. How much you need to do this is going to be largely length-dependent.

Anyway, when I get to the free-hanging english portion of the braid, I notice that I only ever hold two sections. My grasp is different though. I hold the leftward two sections in my left hand while letting the rightmost stick out and hang freely over a finger. I grab that with my right hand as I cross things around, and end up holding the two rightward sections in my right hand.

It's worth mentioning that I got the hang of doing an inside-out (aka Dutch) braid before I learned to French braid. It was a bit easier to keep the sectioning straight with that one.

Anje,
Thank you so much.
Yes, what do you do when you can't reach anymore and need to pull the braid over a shoulder?

Honestly, the more than I practice on myself, dropping the middle strand is working better for me. This motion seems to feel more natural and as if I have more control on grabbing and adding hair - not to mention the tension when stitching.

YES! PLEASE VIDEO IT FOR ME! PLEASE!

It does seem the Dutch braid is slightly easier for me too - my movements tend to naturally go in that direction?

I have no idea how anyone with very long hair does this since my hair gets all tangled up and shreads/velcrows my hemline as I pull new sections of hair to weave in and out and all my fingers are so busy trying to keep the criss cross pattern going while taking out the tangles as I work my way down. And I do detangle beforehand but still the tearing occurs in the hemline area. I have not been able to do a french braid since reaching bsl. ;(

Sadly, I gave up on a french braid long ago. But I love how pretty it looks!! ;(

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!
I am either going to give up or keep practicing until I learn, and I really want to learn this time. :)
But, d*** ** this is difficult for me.

Lemme see if I can put this into good words. I wouldn't call myself a braiding expert, but I think I can answer you...

Q1 & 2: Judging by what I could see, if she braids like I do the strand opposite the side being added to is tucked into the last two fingers of the hand (pinky and ring.) The middle strand I will grip either with my middle finger or index, depending on how I feel that day and if I'm French or Dutch braiding. (Sometimes one or the other will 'feel' better for each kind, although I'm still new to Dutch braiding.)
I will sometimes drop the middle section or the far section, but I find it very hard to pick it up again, especially when I'm French or Dutch braiding because of the loose hair below, thus I try to avoid it.

Q3: I think the movements between "stitches" as Anje called it that you're confused by are her rearranging the strands. I find that I have to use one hand position to gather the new hair into the section so I can smooth it out more easily and then have to swap the sections between my fingers (i.e. from index to middle, or middle to index, usually) in order to pull the added strand over the middle one cleanly, so while it's technically only one stitch my hands have to do several movements to "finish" it properly.

I hope that helps!

Tassledown,
YES! That definitely helps!

EXACTLY!
I am dropping the middle section, because it feels more natural to me, but I am losing the other outer strand (NOT being added to)?
So, (left outer - being added to - the middle and right outer strands get combined, and I seem to lose them?

ADG
August 19th, 2016, 06:24 AM
At some point it's about motor skills and practice. You just have to stick your fingers in your hair and go to town and try and try, try some more and try again. There is no one that can explain and keep explaining this (seriously) as long as you don't practice. You are practicing, right? ;)

In my teens it took a long time for me to learn how to braid, and back then I didn't have YT or a book, or anything. I just... tried on my head again and again and at one point... just did it.

It helps to add in hair with the thumbs, while the rest of the fingers hold the hair. That's how I do it.

Can't wait until you shout out to say, yes I can do it! And please post pics then. Right? :D

Absolutely practicing AND seeing progress! ;)
You are very right that it takes practice and learning my way. I couldn't agree more.

I am doing better AND gaining confidence, but I have been practicing quite often for 3 months now - this didn't just happen. TRUST ME! :P
I am very proud of my progress, but nothing to brag about --- just yet! ;)

I am slowly learning what works for me, and dropping the middle strand while laying it against my head with the thumb feels the best, but I am still losing 1 or 2 strands (the ones NOT being added to).

You know I hate pictures, but I will definitely post them here for everyone to see, since EVERYONE has been so kind and helpful to me.
I truly think that I may have found a technique that works for me.
It involves:
- Holding 2 strands 1. between thumb and index and 2. between index and middle fingers
- Dropping one strand seems better for me, but I want to learn how to hold all three in my fingers to keep them separated.

Truly, once your fingers get a muscle memory recognized it gets better.
It has taken me almost 3 months to even get a normal feeling, but I am very happy and thankful for that.
I will say this: Last night was my BEST so far! ;)

Thanks to everyone here, of course! :)

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Absolutely practicing AND seeing progress! ;)
You are very right that it takes practice and learning my way. I couldn't agree more.

I am doing better AND gaining confidence, but I have been practicing quite often for 3 months now - this didn't just happen. TRUST ME! :P
I am very proud of my progress, but nothing to brag about --- just yet! ;)

I am slowly learning what works for me, and dropping the middle strand while laying it against my head with the thumb feels the best, but I am still losing 1 or 2 strands (the ones NOT being added to).

You know I hate pictures, but I will definitely post them here for everyone to see, since EVERYONE has been so kind and helpful to me.
I truly think that I may have found a technique that works for me.
It involves:
- Holding 2 strands 1. between thumb and index and 2. between index and middle fingers
- Dropping one strand seems better for me, but I want to learn how to hold all three in my fingers to keep them separated.

Truly, once your fingers get a muscle memory recognized it gets better.
It has taken me almost 3 months to even get a normal feeling, but I am very happy and thankful for that.
I will say this: Last night was my BEST so far! ;)

Thanks to everyone here, of course! :)

Yep, your *own* way, just like you said! I don't think I've ever seen 2 braiders braid alike. Everyone just does what's more comfortable to them as far as handhold is concerned!

That's probably why I can't better explain how I do it or explain it from a video. I learned an odd way. :lol:

Looking forward to success and pics! :D :thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
August 19th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!
I am either going to give up or keep practicing until I learn, and I really want to learn this time. :)
But, d*** ** this is difficult for me.
TorrinPaige on ytube has a video to do a cheater's french braid.... lemme see if I can find it. brb.

Found it!! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA :cheer:

Not sure if this is the right video... but in the cheater's french braid video, she starts from a half up instead of at the crown... and the half up section remains the center braid without adding to it... I think.... :hmm:

wispe
August 19th, 2016, 08:57 AM
TorrinPaige on ytube has a video to do a cheater's french braid.... lemme see if I can find it. brb.

Found it!! ;)

Not sure if this is the right video... but in the cheater's french braid video, she starts from a half up instead of at the crown... and the half up section remains the center braid without adding to it... I think.... :hmm:

I think you mean this faux french braid >>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

Though in the first referenced video she does discuss handhold, which is helpful. I use an entirely different hold/adding for my own, but finding what worked for me was just trial and error (lots of error!) until I'd done it enough times that my hands just fell into what felt more natural for me.

ADG
August 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Found it!! ;)

Thank you!

I think you mean this faux french braid >>

Though in the first referenced video she does discuss handhold, which is helpful. I use an entirely different hold/adding for my own, but finding what worked for me was just trial and error (lots of error!) until I'd done it enough times that my hands just fell into what felt more natural for me.

OMG!
I have been practicing so hard, and I am kind of happy to say - I braid VERY similar to Torrin Paige :cheese: :joy:
This feels better to me - having the middle section drop and hold the outer two strands.
I making progress everyone, but NOT where I'd leave the house just yet with my braiding technique. ;)

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Progress is good! :thumbsup:

Just wait until you get proficient, you'll be teaching us all how to braid. ;)

ADG
August 19th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Progress is good! :thumbsup:

Just wait until you get proficient, you'll be teaching us all how to braid. ;)

Girl, I am so happy with my little progress. I have been trying to do this for 3 months, and I finally have "a feeling" of what works for me.
Grant it, I have a LONG way to go, but I am gaining more confidence in that I can hold the hair and maintain my stitch without it falling apart.

Holding 2 strands definitely works better for me, and I am learning how to hold my fingers AND keep them apart instead of balling up like a fist (yes, that was another issue of mine - NOT allowing the fingers to be open if that makes any sense)?

Teaching you how to braid? ;) You are very kind, but that may be a cold day! shudder: LOL

I am truly grateful to everyone for helping guide me.
Just my luck - AS SOON AS I ORDER A BOOK TO TEACH ME, I LEARN A LITTLE MYSELF BEFORE IT ARRIVES! LOL
But, I am sure this book will be more helpful as I continue to braid. I am so excited, and I only pray that I get better.

Everyone here and these talented girls on Youtube (MissySue, Torrin Paige, Karen Ribble, etc...) are my inspiration. ;)

spidermom
August 19th, 2016, 04:40 PM
It was easier for me to learn to braid by keeping in mind what had to happen next.
1) Gather hair at crown of head. Divide into 3 sections. Cross right section over middle section. Cross left section over middle section. As I am holding the 3 sections, the side that I am not working on is held against my palm with my pinkie and ring fingers. The middle strand is held between ring and middle fingers. The pointer finger and thumb hold the strand I am working on.
2) Using my free hand, go to outer limit of braiding area. If I am doing a braid down the back, then the face is the outer limit. Use pointer finger of free hand to gather all hair in about a 1/2 inch wide strip from face toward braid. Add the new strip to the right section. Cross right section over middle section. Transfer sections to opposite hand. Run free hand down sections to be sure they are separated all the way to the ends.
3) Repeat #2 on the left side.

Keep alternating sides #1 and #2.

When I can't braid any further by reaching down the back, I lift the braid up the back of my head or bend forward so that the braid falls toward my feet. It's really important to pay attention to the direction each section is crossing because it becomes reversed when you're working upside down. Also be sure you've got the nape area at the proper tension before you bend forward, or it may become too loose, which creates a bulge at the nape when you drop the braid down your back.

wispe
August 19th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Girl, I am so happy with my little progress. I have been trying to do this for 3 months, and I finally have "a feeling" of what works for me.
Grant it, I have a LONG way to go, but I am gaining more confidence in that I can hold the hair and maintain my stitch without it falling apart.

Holding 2 strands definitely works better for me, and I am learning how to hold my fingers AND keep them apart instead of balling up like a fist (yes, that was another issue of mine - NOT allowing the fingers to be open if that makes any sense)?

Teaching you how to braid? ;) You are very kind, but that may be a cold day! shudder: LOL

I am truly grateful to everyone for helping guide me.
Just my luck - AS SOON AS I ORDER A BOOK TO TEACH ME, I LEARN A LITTLE MYSELF BEFORE IT ARRIVES! LOL
But, I am sure this book will be more helpful as I continue to braid. I am so excited, and I only pray that I get better.

Everyone here and these talented girls on Youtube (MissySue, Torrin Paige, Karen Ribble, etc...) are my inspiration. ;)

Yay! congrats on the revelation! Once you've found what works for you it's way easier to follow and adapt hairstyles, and there's so many options it's hard to get bored. Do post some pictures as you progress, maybe you can inspire some of us too (:

ADG
August 19th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Yay! congrats on the revelation! Once you've found what works for you it's way easier to follow and adapt hairstyles, and there's so many options it's hard to get bored. Do post some pictures as you progress, maybe you can inspire some of us too (:

Thank you so much.
Honestly, I am so happy and proud of myself (trust me, it isn't a HUGE success yet, but much better than 3 months ago)! LOL
Braiding is "actually starting to click" a little more for me.

Yes, I definitely wanted to learn to braid and be able to wear so many more hairstyles with being able to braid.
Maybe one day I can actually learn the 5 strand braid :crazyq:--- OK - let me master the 3 strand braid, first? ;) :smirk:

wispe
August 19th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much.
Honestly, I am so happy and proud of myself (trust me, it isn't a HUGE success yet, but much better than 3 months ago)! LOL
Braiding is "actually starting to click" a little more for me.

Yes, I definitely wanted to learn to braid and be able to wear so many more hairstyles with being able to braid.
Maybe one day I can actually learn the 5 strand braid :crazyq:--- OK - let me master the 3 strand braid, first? ;) :smirk:

Don't be afraid to try all sorts of braids while you're learning. I started braiding it at night sometime last year and I wore my sleep braid down one day and discovered I'd being doing dutch braids and not french. :surprise: I taught myself to braid without a tutorial at first and for some reason, dutch braids feel way quicker/easier to braid and look better than my french. French is still hard sometimes, I start french and if I don't pay attention, somewhere mid-scalp I end up braiding it dutch! TBH now that I've learned to do a 5-strand (dutch) I find it easier to get neat and pretty than a french :confused: So once you're feeling better about your basic 3-strand, maybe try a couple other styles to see if they work more naturally for you as well.

naomori
August 20th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Same here...the only time I got to wear my hair in a french braid was when a friend of mine braided it for me. it looked really nice too. I feel so bad that I can't do anything with my hair. I would love to teach how to braid it properly.

naomori
August 20th, 2016, 01:08 AM

Same here...the only time I got to wear my hair in a french braid was when a friend of mine braided it for me. it looked really nice too. I feel so bad that I can't do anything with my hair. I would love to teach how to braid it properly.

ADG
August 20th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Don't be afraid to try all sorts of braids while you're learning. I started braiding it at night sometime last year and I wore my sleep braid down one day and discovered I'd being doing dutch braids and not french. :surprise: I taught myself to braid without a tutorial at first and for some reason, dutch braids feel way quicker/easier to braid and look better than my french. French is still hard sometimes, I start french and if I don't pay attention, somewhere mid-scalp I end up braiding it dutch! TBH now that I've learned to do a 5-strand (dutch) I find it easier to get neat and pretty than a french :confused: So once you're feeling better about your basic 3-strand, maybe try a couple other styles to see if they work more naturally for you as well.

Thank you so much.
Honestly, the Dutch also feels more natural for me as well, so my Dutch braids are slightly better. Oddly, I first started learning to do the French braid, and I said that I could never do a Dutch- not true! I like the Dutch braid, and the technique feels better for me as well.

I am going to try several styles from MissySue and others.
I'm excited and eager to learn more and improve as I go! :) :joy:

ADG
August 20th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Trust me, I know how you feel.
There were so many days and nights that I wanted to chop my hair off, so I would just have to stop and walk away.
I'm telling you, I couldn't keep 2 stitches or add hair properly for weeks. I felt like the biggest idiot in the world.
I only hope my braiding improves now, but I did order Karen Ribble's book to help me as well.

ADG
August 20th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Q: When is the hair TOO dirty to braid?
When is the hair too dirty for you to try?

Thank you!

Arctic
August 20th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Many people prefere to braid dirty hair.

My own sebum makes my hair sticky, and I prefere to braid clean hair (and I wash almost daily). Also, I get scalp cleavage more with oily hair than with clean hair.

In other words: it's individual. But there are no rules, really. Do what works for you.

ADG
August 20th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Many people prefere to braid dirty hair.

My own sebum makes my hair sticky, and I prefere to braid clean hair (and I wash almost daily). Also, I get scalp cleavage more with oily hair than with clean hair.

In other words: it's individual. But there are no rules, really. Do what works for you.

Got it!
Plus, everyone's hair gets dirty differently (like you said; yours becomes sticky) and at different times (1 day vs 1 week).
Thank you.
I think a little dirty is too, but too oily/greasy is a problem.

MlleMC
August 20th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Q: When is the hair TOO dirty to braid?
When is the hair too dirty for you to try?

Thank you!

When my hair is very greasy (last day before washing--I wash once a week), I can't braid without getting weird bumps, unless I want to spend a lot of time combing every strand before adding it (and I normally don't). Any day before that works well, though.

LongCurlyTress
August 21st, 2016, 09:14 AM
Thank you!

OMG!
I have been practicing so hard, and I am kind of happy to say - I braid VERY similar to Torrin Paige :cheese: :joy:
This feels better to me - having the middle section drop and hold the outer two strands.
I making progress everyone, but NOT where I'd leave the house just yet with my braiding technique. ;)

Yay!!! It also helps to french braid or do any braid... with the hair a bit damp... but not soaking wet. Good luck and hope you can post some action pics when you get a chance!! I am sure it looks alot prettier than you think it does! :blossom:

And thank you wispie for posting torrinpaige's Faux French Braid video. This was the exact one I was thinking of! ;)

And naomori, I know for sure that the thickness of my/our hair really does add some extra detangling difficulty to braiding/french braiding etc...I am happy if I don't shred too much hair just making a half up!! tee hee! ;)

TrapperCreekD
August 21st, 2016, 11:38 AM
I'm so glad you're making progress! :cheer: It can be so frustrating when you can't make it work.

Kind of late to the party, but here's how I hold my hair for three strand braids( I swear, I took this the other day, just didn't have time to upload it with work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxsuSzhDbc

I can do three and four strand braids with ease, and technically, I can hold five strands but it feels super awkward so I usually end up dropping one. I bow to the wizards who can wrangle 5+ strands on their own head!

ADG
August 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM
I'm so glad you're making progress! :cheer: It can be so frustrating when you can't make it work.

Kind of late to the party, but here's how I hold my hair for three strand braids( I swear, I took this the other day, just didn't have time to upload it with work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxsuSzhDbc

I can do three and four strand braids with ease, and technically, I can hold five strands but it feels super awkward so I usually end up dropping one. I bow to the wizards who can wrangle 5+ strands on their own head!

Well, I felt like I was making progress and now have slipped back into the "I'm just as lost phase!"
I wanted to shave my head today! :(

You are so awesome!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I HATE TO ASK YOU THIS, BUT IF YOU GET A MOMENT, WOULD YOU PLEASE (PRETTY PLEASE) DO A CLASSIC FRENCH AND DUTCH BRAID (1 GOING DOWN EACH SIDE OF THE HEAD)?

Tassledown
August 22nd, 2016, 01:28 AM
Re: Dirty hair and braiding - my hair gets washed when I need to comb it, not when it gets dirty because of how little oil my head produces on its own. Although if I have put gel in or gone swimming I would not braid it after due to how sticky it would be. Assuming I haven't put in gel or gotten chlorine in it however - I would just fingercomb it out (I never use a comb or brush on dry/unconditioned hair) and braid it anyways. That's probably a trait of my hair type, though.

I will see if I can get my sister to video me braiding tomorrow as well. No promises, but I can try so you can see another person's technique to compare it to. Not sure I can get the tech to cooperate though.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 04:38 AM
You are so awesome!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I HATE TO ASK YOU THIS, BUT IF YOU GET A MOMENT, WOULD YOU PLEASE (PRETTY PLEASE) DO A CLASSIC FRENCH AND DUTCH BRAID (1 GOING DOWN EACH SIDE OF THE HEAD)?

Why? It's the same principle. :) I don't see how positioning is that different that it plays into learning how to braid? :confused:

ADG
August 22nd, 2016, 04:47 AM
I will see if I can get my sister to video me braiding tomorrow as well. No promises, but I can try so you can see another person's technique to compare it to. Not sure I can get the tech to cooperate though.

Please (if possible)! ;)
Thank you so much.

ADG
August 22nd, 2016, 04:48 AM
Why? It's the same principle. :) I don't see how positioning is that different that it plays into learning how to braid? :confused:

Cause I am have a difficult time with the 2 going down the side vs. the one in the middle.
I thought the same thing, but ... I am not staying on track (meaning my braid sits WAY TOO low instead of in the middle of the side. :(

ADG
August 22nd, 2016, 05:00 AM
STAYING ON TRACK (NOT GOING TOO LOW OR TOO HIGH)?

Please help!

Ok, this might sound like a silly question, but this is another MAJOR problem that I would GREATLY appreciate help with?

For example if doing a Classic French braid (1 braid on each side of the head), my braid is sitting too low and not directly in the middle section?

Visual example:
(section down the middle | )
my braid is going more or less like this ___ instead of / (for the right side) and ___ instead of \ (for the left side) if looking at me from the front.

With all the hair being pulled to the front ___ instead of remaining on track like \ or /.
| hair in middle coming to front |\ instead of --- coming in line with the braid?

I am over directing the hair in an odd direction too much towards the front instead of moving back?

What am I doing wrong?

PLUS, PLUS, PLUS, for some ODD reason, I am NOT moving back like I should be?
It is like I am staying stationary (in one spot) and bringing most of the hair to the lower section towards the front (not middle) not going back.

Why am I not moving back like I should be instead of trying to stay just in the front (or along the edges)?
Should I be holding my arms/hands differently (behind the head vs. in front of the head)?
I tell myself to move as I braid, but that isn't working?
Why am I trying to pull the top/back sections toward the front instead moving back closer to the hair being added in?

I apologize for all the questions, and I know this is difficult without being able to see for yourself.

Please help?
I just want to cry, because I am trying so hard to learn how to braid, but I am doing something wrong with my hands and fingers (maybe arms), and I can't figure it out.

I just want to wear a braid like everyone else? :(
I really just want to cry.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
Maybe if you show us a picture of what you have so far, and where your problem spots are, that would be helpful for us with giving out advice. :)

ADG
August 22nd, 2016, 05:54 AM
Maybe if you show us a picture of what you have so far, and where your problem spots are, that would be helpful for us with giving out advice. :)

Totally understood, but I not sure if I can get any pictures soon?
Plus, I am not sure how to post pics here? I don't have a URL link.
I am so sorry about that.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2016, 08:39 AM
Totally understood, but I not sure if I can get any pictures soon?
Plus, I am not sure how to post pics here? I don't have a URL link.
I am so sorry about that.

Upload them to a photohosting site like Photobucket or imgur, then link the BBcode in your message. It's easy. ;)

TrapperCreekD
August 23rd, 2016, 09:58 PM
Well, I felt like I was making progress and now have slipped back into the "I'm just as lost phase!"
I wanted to shave my head today! :(

You are so awesome!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I'm off today so I had some extra time to play with my hair. I think this is what you meant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3-TCuEdmc

Tassledown
August 23rd, 2016, 11:35 PM
(I am still intending to get a video for you btw, but life happened. I will post when I can do so, just can't promise when that will be.)

I will say you are showing a lot of dedication and I really hope that helps you come up with a breakthrough at some point soon. Best wishes!

ADG
August 24th, 2016, 05:37 AM
(I am still intending to get a video for you btw, but life happened. I will post when I can do so, just can't promise when that will be.)

I will say you are showing a lot of dedication and I really hope that helps you come up with a breakthrough at some point soon. Best wishes!

Tassledown,
Please - completely at YOUR CONVENIENCE! I greatly appreciate everyone trying to help me.

I am VERY DEDICATED.
I practice for 30 minutes in the morning and at night for now, and, unfortunately, my braids aren't improving like I'd hoped.
If I wasn't trying maybe I wouldn't be so upset? :(
I just feel so stupid, because I am not getting it as quickly as I'd thought. I mean after 3-4 months I should be further along with my progress. I keep telling myself, "you will learn just keep practicing."

Basically, my main problem is losing one braid. I am combining 2 braids at some point, so I am not holding them properly to maintain the 3 strands.

ADG
August 24th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I'm off today so I had some extra time to play with my hair. I think this is what you meant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3-TCuEdmc

OMG! YES!
Thank you (let me go watch)!
:bowtome: :thumbsup:

OK! Here are my mistakes off the top:

1- I am not going back with these braids.
I am braiding from the side.

So, instead of | --- I am going ___ off the middle part
forehead | ear ------------------ forehead | __ ear
neck -------------------------neck

2- Since my hair is so fine and thin, I am having trouble adding hair from the part side (not perimeter).
It is like I am not finding the hair to add in properly?

3- Soon to come ;)

You are awesome!
How long have you been braiding?
And, you hair is GORGEOUS!

lapushka
August 30th, 2016, 10:30 AM
How's the braiding practice going, OP? :)