PDA

View Full Version : When Does Hair Become Super Long?

mermaiden_hair
August 18th, 2016, 01:43 PM
:confused: I know that there's the modern definition of longer, which to me, it seems that its usually women who let it grow until at least mid-back, but no more after. If it grows past that, does it then go from long to super long, in your opinion?

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 01:51 PM
To me, I'd say classic length or so is where it's super-long. I see up to about tailbone regularly, but I can think of only about 2 other people I know/knew IRL with hair substantially longer than that. (I think I consider waist as "long" on other people. Of course, it wasn't long on me til maybe hip, but that seems to be a normal phenomenon.)

littlestarface
August 18th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Super long is past ankles.

mermaiden_hair
August 18th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks, y'all. I guess the women here in Ireland like to keep it a bit on the shorter-end of long hair, if you know what I mean. I'm planning on reaching to waist length, and I think that's pretty long in of itself. But I guess classic length+ is when it becomes super long, yes, I agree!

HairPlease
August 18th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Classic+ is super long for most people. Some people call waist "super long" but those people have hair measuring around 2" per strand or less. :laugh:

Chromis
August 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I've seen people say anything past shoulder-length is super long :lol:

I think past BSL is about where people think it is super long in the parts of the US and Canada I have lived though. Knee and ankle are like super-ultra-holy-moly that is long!

lapushka
August 18th, 2016, 03:30 PM
I am classic. To me that is "average" now that I'm used to it. It's a good length for me. I wouldn't call it super long. I think super starts at thigh, or knee, or calf even.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 18th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I am classic. To me that is "average" now that I'm used to it. It's a good length for me. I wouldn't call it super long. I think super starts at thigh, or knee, or calf even.

LOL Lapushka! To most folks, Classic is super-long! However I see what you mean :)

school of fish
August 18th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Agreed that it's probably a highly subjective thing, personally, regionally and culturally :)

I myself don't consider my TBL to be super long but I suspect most people where I live would. My personal 'longer length' definitions run from the waist-to-hip 'oh yeah, that's pretty long' through the tailbone-to-fingertip 'whoa, that's really long' to the knee-to-infinity (holy cannoli, that's super long' range ;)

But that's just my take - it's all relative :D

MidnightMoon
August 18th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Knee, to me. I just went by at what length I would describe someone elses hair as super long

mermaid lullaby
August 18th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Here, where I live, I got the comment that it was super long at waist. So then, I would have to agree, BSL is long and waist+ is super long to most people.

H o n є y ❤
August 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Here, where I live, I got the comment that it was super long at waist. So then, I would have to agree, BSL is long and waist+ is super long to most people.
I agree with this. Many people's hair here is SUPER long.

Saige
August 18th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I would say super long is classic or classic +. There are quite a few people with hip length to tailbone length hair where I live.

Tosca
August 18th, 2016, 11:17 PM
For me, super long = at or past knee.

Decoy24601
August 19th, 2016, 12:00 AM
My hair is a couple/few inches shy of classic and today I got my first "wow, your hair is so long!" comments when I took my hair down at the end of my shift to walk home. So I'd say here, people won't consider hair super long until around TBL-classic.

rowie
August 19th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Love these types of subjective threads. Personally, super long is Floor+. At almost upper thigh length and headed towards fingertip length, my hair still feels short. However, I can already imagine I'll start getting challenged when I pass fingertip length. Hair beyond fingertips I decided is when I'll start to feel like I have "long-ish" hair.

Calypso
August 19th, 2016, 03:02 AM
In the area I live in, it's not common but not too strange to see women with hair up to about tailbone, so I'd say longer than that is super long.

restless
August 19th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Well, after spending a couple of years here, I think classic is super long hair. However, I suspect most people I know would say super long begins at hip length already :D

Horrorpops
August 19th, 2016, 06:48 AM
For me and my area super long is past hip. Quite a few younger girls have hair around waist length or a bit shorter but once you reach hip+ territory it is pretty uncommon. :o It seems like this varies considerably based on region and the posters hair length! I guess that definitely changes up the perception of 'super long' :o It's so interesting how so many list knee or ankle+, for me and where I live that would be super SUPER long hahaha :p

H o n e y: I agree!!! Even though I've caught a mean case of LHC-itis and my perception of hair length has changed since being a member I would definitely consider a big chunk of LHC members have super long hair!

truepeacenik
August 19th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I say at every Bay Area meet that my hair is short.
Comparative conceptualization for sure.

When I started here, we had freakishly long and vaguely creepy as descriptors. I think I hit that last week.

lunalocks
August 23rd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Hair dysmorphia here, I am sure. I just passed FTL which, for me (I'm tall) is 52 inches, and I FINALLY feel like my hair is LONG. Not very long, not super long, just long. Finally, long.

Before I came to this site, my hair was waist, and I felt like that was long. Just long. But now I've been at the mercy of too many pics of fabulous hair.

Doesn't help that I have met Gossamer, Islandgrrl and Dave Decker, all who have amazing (and longer than mine) hair.

I'd say super long is below knee That is, until I get there.

littlestarface
August 24th, 2016, 02:07 AM
Love these types of subjective threads. Personally, super long is Floor+. At almost upper thigh length and headed towards fingertip length, my hair still feels short. However, I can already imagine I'll start getting challenged when I pass fingertip length. Hair beyond fingertips I decided is when I'll start to feel like I have "long-ish" hair.

Hey someone else who thinks like me. My hair is abit past ftl and I still feel like it's not that long lol

Stepo_NiNha
August 24th, 2016, 10:26 AM
People here where I live say I have super long hair and I'm only waist.... APL seems to be the rule here for women with long(ish) hair.

trolleypup
August 24th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Here, I'd have to say somewhere in TL

mermaiden_hair
September 25th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Maybe I should change my hair goal and grow it to classic length instead of stopping at just the waist. :p

HeartofHaleth
September 25th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I say at every Bay Area meet that my hair is short.
Comparative conceptualization for sure.

When I started here, we had freakishly long and vaguely creepy as descriptors. I think I hit that last week.

The former has been my goal for some time now. I guess I'll know I'm there by the concerned looks on my family's faces...;)

I guess I would define "super long" as the line where the length of the hair no longer has mass appeal. You know, when the remarks of "wow, your hair is so gorgeous!" start to be outnumbered by "why do you keep your hair so long? Doesn't it get in the way? Doesn't it take forever to wash?". This line varies widely from place to place.

Entangled
September 25th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Super long for me is classic length. Personally, I don't think it's crazy long (that would be more in the lower thigh-floor area), but generally I think that's where people stop thinking "wow, your hair is long" and start thinking "your hair is abnormally long." :wigtongue: It's also beyond the realm of commonly long in my experience. Most people I know don't get past tailbone because it's not as easy to wear down.

hanne jensen
September 25th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I think super long hair is knee length. I'm seeing a lot of mature ladies with hair around MBL or waist now.

Kajzh
September 25th, 2016, 10:54 AM
In my culture, natural hair (no extensions) past bra strap is considered super long.

hayheadsbird
September 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Having spent time here, I suspect my definitions have changed. Wait to hips isn't uncommon round where I live, but still very noticeable and generally admired.
I'd say long was waist to classic, classic + was venturing in to super long territory.

I'm hoping I'll feel like my hair is long when I hit waist. At APL+ it's still feels very short!

Dark40
September 25th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I'd say thigh length is super long.

Shiranshoku
September 25th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I'm getting into superlong territory, apparently. I'm starting to get weird looks, touchers and negative comments when it's down. Lots of people want me to donate, too.

But it doesn't feel superlong, just long :D

Superlong would be knee+ I think.

animetor7
September 25th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I'm getting into superlong territory, apparently. I'm starting to get weird looks, touchers and negative comments when it's down. Lots of people want me to donate, too.

But it doesn't feel superlong, just long :D

Superlong would be knee+ I think.

Yup, this is what I think too. I'm always taken aback when I let my hair out and people are all "Your hair is sooooooo long". And I'm just sitting there thinking "No it's not, I mean long sure, but not super-long you should see some of the beautiful heads of hair on the LHC." :)

Dwemeri
September 25th, 2016, 05:50 PM
I think I consider super long to be thigh length or longer. It's not as long compared to people who have grown to say, their ankles, but it is when you consider the average hair length people have. ^^

I hope you don't get pestered about it too much, it always surprises me that strangers think they have the right to tell you to give away your hair.

raemarthe
September 25th, 2016, 06:04 PM
For me between BSL and waist is long, and anything past hip is super long. I have only known 3 people in real life who have hair longer than their hips, and over the past year all of them but one have chopped their hair to shoulder length! In my area most people have their hair around BSL or shorter. I love hip length hair, I wish I could see it more.

Shiranshoku
September 26th, 2016, 12:22 AM
I hope you don't get pestered about it too much, it always surprises me that strangers think they have the right to tell you to give away your hair.

It's mainly my colleagues, so not real strangers, but it sure is annoying. I don't get it either, tbh. :-)

DaveDecker
September 26th, 2016, 04:52 AM
I'm getting into superlong territory, apparently. I'm starting to get weird looks, touchers and negative comments when it's down. Lots of people want me to donate, too...

It's mainly my colleagues, so not real strangers, but it sure is annoying. I don't get it either, tbh. :-)

All of these behaviors from others are harassment, and the repeated negative comments / donations suggestions are bordering on bullying, too. Some workplaces have rules that prohibit such conduct. Have you (politely, of course) asked the people making these comments that you don't want to hear these things anymore?

Arete
September 26th, 2016, 04:59 AM
In the long hair world, I'd say knee hits the superlong point. I think depending on where you live, waist length-TBL is where "superlong" starts. I'm between TBL and classic and I get lots of "superlong" and "wow" comments about my hair. Fortunately, negative comments are the minimum for me, even from stylists. My mom's hairdresser LOVES my hair even xD

Shiranshoku
September 26th, 2016, 05:09 AM
All of these behaviors from others are harassment, and the repeated negative comments / donations suggestions are bordering on bullying, too. Some workplaces have rules that prohibit such conduct. Have you (politely, of course) asked the people making these comments that you don't want to hear these things anymore?

No, but I don't really feel the need to either. It's the people I work with most often, and let's say 5 % of our conversations center around my hair. The person that's most adamant about me donating has donated her own hair three times already and is also very zealous when it comes to donating blood. So I know she means no real harm. It's mainly weird to me, since my appearance is average and now there's this aspect of me that compels people to make note of it.

Hurven
September 26th, 2016, 05:18 AM
To me, really long hair starts around classic and super long maybe around thigh length.

People started commenting that my hair is getting long when I was just past APL and now, when I'm brushing hip, they say "your hair is SO long!". So I guess in my area, in general, people start thinking hair is super long around HIP-BCL. :)

StellaKatherine
September 26th, 2016, 05:24 AM
I noticed, that I am actually accidentally reaching the fingertip length ( because of long back take long take to get to classic and now to fingertip is a short way lol ). I think, only now I am starting to feel like I have a really long hair, not super long yet, but really long. I saw the other day a woman with her braid to the middle of her thighs and thought " wow, that is super long". The longest I've ever seen in real life, so I guess that would be for me a super long hair begin ?

astrid92
September 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I think for me hair becomes super long once it hits tailbone/classic length. There are a lot of people where I live that have waist length hair so that is what I consider long hair and a few that are around hip length, like me! ;) I've probably only seen two people how have hair longer than hip, though I'm sad to say their hair did not look like it was in good condition. :wail:

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Personally....it is super long past waist, and on others it is classic +

xoChesleyy
September 28th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Where I live in NC, a lot of people here seem to consider "long" to be anything past shoulder length, lol! I personally would consider "long" to be waist length or longer and "super" long to be hip length or longer.

Sadly, I don't see very many people with long hair in my area. The majority of people I have seen here who had have long hair didn't particularly seem to have "nice" long hair either.. :(
There is one exception though, a couple months back in the store there was this lady and her four children. They each had a gorgeous blonde braid past hip length. They were like a legitimate Rapunzel family, haha. :p