PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had people say your long hair is in the way?

Sossity
October 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I was at a concert the other night & during the concert where I was it was fairly crowded, & a girl comes up from behind & starts handling my hair or trying to move it out of her way & comments about me having so much hair & basically saying it was getting in her face, or way, it was load so I did not hear all she said exactly, but to the effect I guess my hair was overwhelming her, so I pulled my hair back over the front of one of my shoulders, I was wearing it down. She was not unfriendly or mean, she said it with a smile, but I dont try to annoy people with my hair, like flinging it around, I figure if it is getting up in their face perhaps they are pushing a bit too close to my hair & me. I felt a little offput by it as I was just standing there, I did not know she was behind me, & I was not leaning into her or flinging my hair around.

another instance, a guy was behind me & I feel him start pulling my hair together like for a ponytail, I turn around & he is smiling at me, figure my hair was blocking his view, ( he was somewhat short ) so I reached around & pulled my hair over the front of one of my shoulders, & I eventually turn around I found he left.

Is there an etiquette when going out in public with long hair? Am I over reacting? making something out of nothing? has anyone else had experiences like this?

Sossity

manderly
October 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM
These people were out of line.

If your butt was sticking out in an aisle that someone was trying to pass you in, would it be ok for her to grab your butt, tell you it was in her way, and push your toosh off to the side? No, then it's absolutely not ok for anyone to start "arranging" your hair for you.

I would have shot these people a look that could kill.

bunnii
October 19th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Yup it's just plain rude!! I woudn't stand for anyone touching me AT ALL! If my hair's a problem just ask me to move it, then if I think it's a problem I just might do that. I really see it a violation of my personal space, and Manderly got it with the bum thing, although I have been physically moved in nightclubs by men who are enormous and think it's ok to just grab me and move me aside grrrrrr.. sorry i'm ranting this just really bugs me!

I hope the concert rocked though :D

Periwinkle
October 19th, 2008, 05:43 AM
That's out of line! Manderly expressed my thoughts exactly.

I have the misfortune to sit in front of a guy in my maths class who thinks it's HILAROUS to do stuff with my hair - tug on my braid, pull out my stick...

Anyway, at one point, I have maths after PE, and we're always late from PE, so I don't have time to redo my hair (it ends up as a frightful mess) until I get to maths. Because of this guy, I now try to do styles that mean I can keep my hair very close to my head when I do them, but once, when I was braiding my hair, some of it accidentally flopped onto his desk. He YANKED the ends of it (ouch!) and then yelled at me because it was 'in his way' (class hadn't even started at this point). He had grabbed a huge handful of hair (I was French braiding and was holding all the hair from my ears up; he pulled almost all the rest of it) but according to the guy who sits next to him (who isn't that great either), there were only about three strands on the desk anyway :/

mellie
October 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Yes, I have gotten this!!

If it is windy at all, and my hair is loose, I've had people scold me because my hair "gets in their way". Well then they are standing too close to me!

Also when it gets fairly long, my DH tells me it gets in his mouth and in his face when we are cuddling. That's one of the reasons I just cut back to shoulder length.

missbexy
October 19th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Haha, if mine really gets in anyones way its my bf's and falls onto my work alot. I used to know a girl who used to come and start playing around with mine when we went to PE in high school. That was just because she liked it though, not because it was in the way, it was very odd though. By the way manderly I loved the butt comment!

TheBlondeApple
October 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well, if my hair is too close to you, that's because you are too close too me - which is just the way it is at a concert, disco and some other places. I've had a guy complain about my too-long-hairstick, once, it was a similar setting.
Anja

Dolly
October 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Also when it gets fairly long, my DH tells me it gets in his mouth and in his face when we are cuddling. That's one of the reasons I just cut back to shoulder length.

It's funny.....my hair is only BSL, but my fiancee and I just had this discussion....he was spooning up behind me in bed, and I pulled my hair over my shoulder so as to keep it out of his face, just like I always do (it is habit...my ex was really adamant about me keeping my hair out of HIS way)....and he said, "You know, you really don't have to do that"......when I said, "Well, it will get in your face", he just said, "I know, and I like it."

ImmortaLamia
October 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Only in my bf's way, but he has long hair also past bra lenght so his hair gets in my eyes sometimes when he arrange it :crush:
hmm though i recall at some concerts...like...rock..metal concerts...last one at Iron Maiden i was headbanging so hard that i had in my back a little circle space between me and 2 people i think...because i was hiting them with the hair...but they didn't say anything. :D

missbexy
October 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Dolly, I've had a similar experience, nice to have a partner who doesn't care if your long hair gets in their face.

MariaAZ
October 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I look at this a bit differently. It was a crowded concert, the girl felt she had a face-full of hair (which might have been spoiling her enjoyment of the concert) and instead of confronting you thought she'd just move it out of the way. When people are in crowds, unwanted physical contact invariably happens. In this case, I would view it as two way. Your hair inadvertently contacted her and she reacted. Now please don't get me wrong, as I have long hair (below BSL) and DH's is even longer (grumble grumble) and I don't like anyone touching it. But when I'm in crowds and it isn't contained, sometimes MY hair invades OTHER people's space. I don't mean it to, but either a quick head motion or a gust of wind takes it out of my control.

As far as long hair etiquette goes, I think it's highly personal. In my humble opinion, I think if one is going somewhere that their hair might affect other people (such as in crowds or windy weather) it might be good to contain it so it won't inadvertently leave one's personal space and enter someone else's.

The comment about the butt being in the way gave me a chuckle. Realistically though, hair and rear ends are viewed quite differently. I have been known to readjust my updo in public. I am one of those who fidgets with her hair too; I'll grab a strand and twist it absent-mindedly. If my scalp itches, I'll scratch it. No one gives me a second look when I mess with my hair. Now, let's say I do the same thing with my rear end...

Dolly
October 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Dolly, I've had a similar experience, nice to have a partner who doesn't care if your long hair gets in their face.

Yes it is. He's never asked me to contain it, unless it's an issue for ME....such as before he opens the sunroof on his car.....he knows that my hair just FLIES with any type of breeze, and it flies into my face, annoying me. Yet, I LOVE to have the sunroof open. So, I always try to have a couple of no-elastic, no-metal hair ties in my purse. He will say....."I'd like to open the sunroof. Do you have a ponytail holder?"

Such a sweetie!

missbexy
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Awww that is sweet. Open sun roof or open topped car always makes me wish i had a head scarf.:rolleyes:

xrosiex
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Those people were being very impolite. I find my hair gets in my way alot more than anyone elses.:rolleyes:

susiemw
October 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I was at a concert the other night & during the concert where I was it was fairly crowded, & a girl comes up from behind & starts handling my hair or trying to move it out of her way & comments about me having so much hair & basically saying it was getting in her face,

(snipped for brevity)

, a guy was behind me & I feel him start pulling my hair together like for a ponytail, I turn around & he is smiling at me, figure my hair was blocking his view,

It seems like both of these people were out of line.
the first case, it might not have been... hard to know without really knowing the situation.
It may have been that your hair was flying around and
she just was moving it out of her way. Of course, it may
have been more appropriate for her to tap you on the shoulder and ask you to do it. but that could be awkward to.
If someone in front of me had hair blowing in my face (i.e. it's windy) I would just use my hand to brush their hair back down away from my face. But any more than that would not be appropriate.

In the second case, the guy was definitely out of line.
Your having long hair does not give him permission to
handle it. Men (and women) should know not to go up to people they don't know and fondle them (hair included).

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not have
1. common sense
2. a sense of propriety
3. and a sense of personal space.

It's similar to strangers coming up to pregnant women and touching their bellies without permission. It is just not permissable to go up to strangers and touch them.

Susan

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I agree with MariaAZ that it's a two-way street. If I'm in a crowded place and it's windy or there's some other reason my hair would get in someone's way, I'll pull it together in a braid or ponytail, or even just tuck it under my jacket. It's no big deal and I wouldn't want someone else's hair in my space either.

But then again, that rarely happens. If I'm going to be in a crowd or doing active stuff or outdoors where the wind with blow my hair around, then I typically wear it up anyway.

I really don't think strangers should reach out and touch or move someone else's hair though. That's too personal. If they're truly bothered and I'm not noticing and doing something about it myself, then the most appropriate thing for them to do would be to politely ask me to do something about it.

People are weird about hair though. I have had total strangers come up and touch my hair, not b/c it's in the way, but b/c they want to feel it. That's way outside my comfort zone.

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Oh, almost forgot another comment. My dh never complains about my hair, but my kids do. lol! When we're snuggling on the couch or rough-housing, if my hair's loose, it gets in our way (both me and the kids) and they sometimes complain (or else I complain b/c they pull it!). So the first thing I do when I get home from work is braid my hair so I can hang out with my kids and not worry about it.

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
That's out of line! Manderly expressed my thoughts exactly.

I have the misfortune to sit in front of a guy in my maths class who thinks it's HILAROUS to do stuff with my hair - tug on my braid, pull out my stick...

Anyway, at one point, I have maths after PE, and we're always late from PE, so I don't have time to redo my hair (it ends up as a frightful mess) until I get to maths. Because of this guy, I now try to do styles that mean I can keep my hair very close to my head when I do them, but once, when I was braiding my hair, some of it accidentally flopped onto his desk. He YANKED the ends of it (ouch!) and then yelled at me because it was 'in his way' (class hadn't even started at this point). He had grabbed a huge handful of hair (I was French braiding and was holding all the hair from my ears up; he pulled almost all the rest of it) but according to the guy who sits next to him (who isn't that great either), there were only about three strands on the desk anyway :/

Periwinkle,
That is SO out of line! Argh! How totally annoying. Have you ever confronted him about it? I think I'd call him out on it in a public way so as to embarrass the heck out of him for his inappropriate behavior. Yeesh.

Dolly
October 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
People are weird about hair though. I have had total strangers come up and touch my hair, not b/c it's in the way, but b/c they want to feel it. That's way outside my comfort zone.

Kind of like strangers walking up and touching my belly when I was pregnant.....I had a BIG problem with that!

I have had strangers actually ASK if they could touch it....."because it just looks so SILKY", they would say.....it really doesn't bother me, as long as they ask first......some of my friends touch it without being invited, but that is because they know that I don't really have a problem with it (after all, they are close friends).....

joyinc
October 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
i think i would have had words. it makes me mad that people think they can just come up and touch you because you have long hair....grrr

having said that i do this to my bf all the time lol... his hair gets in my way all the time! but thats different

vampodrama
October 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM
hmm though i recall at some concerts...like...rock..metal concerts...last one at Iron Maiden i was headbanging so hard that i had in my back a little circle space between me and 2 people i think...because i was hiting them with the hair...but they didn't say anything. :D

that just happened to me yesterday at a Clawfinger gig... kept hitting people with my hair and jumping on their toes... although for a metal concert that's expected and no one should complain! :D

aprilmay
October 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I feel that way about my own hair sometimes and that is when I secure it out of the way when washing dishes, cooking, cleaning the toilet.... My kids and husband also complain of it getting in their way at times and they end up on top of my hair.

.Amanaka.
October 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Only once. I was kissing someone and they got some of my 'bangs' in their mouth. I was like... whoops, and moved them. No big deal.

spidermom
October 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
In a crowded concert situation, I've had people move my entire body aside. When I've packed myself into a standing-room-only space, I expect to be touched. There's no way around it. (and I wear my hair contained in some way - braids last time)

nmarie33
October 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Only in my bf's way, but he has long hair also past bra lenght so his hair gets in my eyes sometimes when he arrange it :crush:

It's ok if you're at a metal concert. People expect you to be headbanging, it's all good.

By the way, I met my boyfriend at an Iron Maidens concert. It's an all girl band that covers Maiden songs. If you get a chance go and see them, they're really good! :D

mandeloo
October 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think if someone pulled my hair back to "put it in a ponytail" I may react violently. That seems frightening to me, maybe I am hypersensitive due to circumstances in my life but I know one can easily become subdued by their hair when someone with ill intentions yanks on it.
I know not everyone is out to do that, but that would be the first thing that came to my mind :(

wow, im socially impaired. heh

NightDaemon
October 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I think if someone pulled my hair back to "put it in a ponytail" I may react violently. That seems frightening to me, maybe I am hypersensitive due to circumstances in my life but I know one can easily become subdued by their hair when someone with ill intentions yanks on it.
I know not everyone is out to do that, but that would be the first thing that came to my mind :(

wow, im socially impaired. heh
You're not alone. I think that if someone grabbed my hair (or any other bit of me for that matter) I'd have to try pretty hard to restrain that first instinctual reaction... Hooray for updos I guess.

manderly
October 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
You're not alone. I think that if someone grabbed my hair (or any other bit of me for that matter) I'd have to try pretty hard to restrain that first instinctual reaction... Hooray for updos I guess.

I think if someone grabbed all my hair in a ponytail from behind my first reaction would be to spin and claw. I would feel incredibly threatened.

Magicknthenight
October 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I was at a concert the other night & during the concert where I was it was fairly crowded, & a girl comes up from behind & starts handling my hair or trying to move it out of her way & comments about me having so much hair & basically saying it was getting in her face, or way, it was load so I did not hear all she said exactly, but to the effect I guess my hair was overwhelming her, so I pulled my hair back over the front of one of my shoulders, I was wearing it down. She was not unfriendly or mean, she said it with a smile, but I dont try to annoy people with my hair, like flinging it around, I figure if it is getting up in their face perhaps they are pushing a bit too close to my hair & me. I felt a little offput by it as I was just standing there, I did not know she was behind me, & I was not leaning into her or flinging my hair around.

another instance, a guy was behind me & I feel him start pulling my hair together like for a ponytail, I turn around & he is smiling at me, figure my hair was blocking his view, ( he was somewhat short ) so I reached around & pulled my hair over the front of one of my shoulders, & I eventually turn around I found he left.

Is there an etiquette when going out in public with long hair? Am I over reacting? making something out of nothing? has anyone else had experiences like this?

Sossity
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I was at a concert and this girl was moving my hair around and i turned around like
:disgust::demon::patrol:
and then turned my back to her. a moment later she tapped my shoulder and said...your hairs in my way.E_E
So i pulled it over my shoulder. It had poofed a little in that EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID PLACE! x_x
other then that i don't think its gotten in the way of others..though it has gotten caught in things. Rarely now since i wear it up all the time. That was a while back.
oh and when my friend was walking behind me my hair was down and it got caught in her arm pit -.-

Well, if my hair is too close to you, that's because you are too close too me - which is just the way it is at a concert, disco and some other places. I've had a guy complain about my too-long-hairstick, once, it was a similar setting.
Anja
yea we were packed as well! And I've had people accidentally knock my hair sticks. Like my history teacher went to set his hands on the desks (the black desks with 2 to each not the individual ones for that class) and knocked into it. and getting in a car someone accidentally did too.

In a crowded concert situation, I've had people move my entire body aside. When I've packed myself into a standing-room-only space, I expect to be touched. There's no way around it. (and I wear my hair contained in some way - braids last time)
I should have wore my hair contained but back then i wore it down a lot. If i go next time i will defiantly find something safe! I kept getting moved too by all the pushing :headache:

gdimoonbeam
October 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The girl may have thought she was complementing you and she may have been envious, she did do this with a smile so it doesn't sound like it was really bothering you.

Now the guy was just a perv. There are people out there that have long hair ******. I had some guy come over and sit next to me as I was eating my dinner and he started asking questions about my hair and wanted to know if I wanted to go to his hotel for a drink. I tried to keep my aserrs one word and I told him I was trying to eat. He asked if he could touch it of coarse I said no but when I got up to leave I turned away from him and I felt him reach out and touch. CCCCCCCCCeeepppyyyyyyyy

ljkforu
October 20th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Yes, I have gotten this!!

If it is windy at all, and my hair is loose, I've had people scold me because my hair "gets in their way". Well then they are standing too close to me!

I guess I'm too scary for anyone to get that close :)

My BF has said it gets in his mouth and I Just braid it.

ljkforu
October 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I have a memorized answer:

"According to sociology, if you are closer than 24 inches to me you are intending to have a physical relationship with me." I say "Back up!"

It works on old ladies that hit you in the butt with their shopping cart too :)

Ndnlady
October 20th, 2008, 01:48 AM
The girl didn't have to touch your hair, she could have just simply asked you if you could move it out of the way if she could not see anything. The second situation the guy was probably one of those sicko perverts that just wanted to touch your hair. It is so not okay for strange people to invade your personal space.

Poppy Seed
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Generally my hair is up so I have the problem when people get very close that I may inadvertently poke them with my hairstick...of course, if they're that close they'd better be my SO or another very good friend!

Some dances I do include a hair toss so I'll leave it out for that, but again it generally doesn't offend anyone - the other troupe dancers know, and I'll tie it back up before venturing out in public!

I do have a paranoia about being touched in public by strangers, and even more particularly about someone grabbing my hair if it's down, so I rarely wear it down when I'm out.

akka naeda
October 20th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Yes, but it was:)
It's why I don't often wear my hair loose or even in half ups - it likes hugging things/people and that becomes rather painful and embarrassing:)

The last time that happened was when it was about hip length though so not for the last several years.

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 04:31 AM
that just happened to me yesterday at a Clawfinger gig... kept hitting people with my hair and jumping on their toes... although for a metal concert that's expected and no one should complain! :D

yes, true...only if it'a a dreaded one in front of me...(Happened to me) it's like you get hard rocks in your face if you're too close to it :poot:

shrimp
October 20th, 2008, 04:31 AM
It's rude of them to touch but I have to say if I'm going to be in close contact with other people - gigs in particular, but cinema, theatre etc too - then I make sure my hair is up securely and as close to my head as possible with something blunt - absolutely not a hair stick. No big bun, no loose hair. I think once your hair gets to a certain length it's natural to be a bit more protective of it and you get used to thinking of how it may affect others.

I don't want to injure anyone else with a stick, I don't want my hair to be in someone else's way or to get trapped anywhere/attached to anyone, I've also been on the recieving end of sweaty, greasy boy hair hitting me in the face at fore a few too many times to want to risk inflicting anything similar on anyone else.

I love being in the cinema and having an empty row as it means I can take my hair down and relax whilst the film is on :D

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 04:33 AM
It's ok if you're at a metal concert. People expect you to be headbanging, it's all good.

By the way, I met my boyfriend at an Iron Maidens concert. It's an all girl band that covers Maiden songs. If you get a chance go and see them, they're really good! :D

i will check them out on youtube :D...
i know a band called iron maidnem from bulgaria i guess..if i recall right...was in my town but i don't know if they're so good

sorry for being off-topic :o

vampodrama
October 20th, 2008, 05:14 AM
yes, true...only if it'a a dreaded one in front of me...(Happened to me) it's like you get hard rocks in your face if you're too close to it :poot:

haven't had that happened to me... although on one gig the guy behind me kept hitting the back of my head with *his* head... which was kinda painful too XD

NeilTheFuzz
October 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I once remember I had a hospital appointment a few years ago. I went with my hair down and this place had seriously narrow, long corridors. I was walking down the corridor, because I walk quite quickly my hair raised out to the side and I didn't realise but I was brushing people in the face. I was with my mum at the time and she pointed this out to me. When I realised I went back to apologise to all the people I'd "hit". :p I found some hair ties at the hospital store. :)

BlackfootHair
October 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
It's funny.....my hair is only BSL, but my fiancee and I just had this discussion....he was spooning up behind me in bed, and I pulled my hair over my shoulder so as to keep it out of his face, just like I always do (it is habit...my ex was really adamant about me keeping my hair out of HIS way)....and he said, "You know, you really don't have to do that"......when I said, "Well, it will get in your face", he just said, "I know, and I like it."

Aww...that's really sweet!

I remember in middle school my friend had her hair in a pony tail and was in math class. (it's always math class isn't it?) Anyway, the kid sitting behind her was kind of a weirdo, and pulled out a pair of gigantic nail clippers and CUT her pony tail end that was hanging on her desk!!!

The worst that ever happened to me was the kid who sat behind me would move my hair out of his way with his pencil. I would feel it tickling and turn around. He'd say it was on his desk. Then I'd pull my hair around the front. I used to hate how it would get wound around those little metal bolt things on the seat of the chair! Ah...back when I had long hair. :)

Sossity
October 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Once during Jr High school, I came hoome & found gum in my hair, some kids had been throwing it at me in class & my mom had to use penut butter or something like that to get the gum out

Sossity

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I cut mine a bit when my 2 yo was born, because they all used my hair like Tarzan's vine :p

rileysmama32208
October 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
my hair is always in MY way, so i rarely wear it down..

i cant believe someone would touch your hair.. although i shouldnt talk, i force my SIL to sit down in front of me so i can french braid her hair, and i used to always play with my friends' hair in class when i was in highschool, nd they'd do the same... lol. But to do it to a stranger? yuck.

My DH on the other hand, HATES my hair. Hates it. I told him I found this site and wanted to grow my hair longer and he groaned and made a face. I suspect he doesnt like it because he finds my sheds in uncomfortable places, and i go through vacuums like they're paper towels!

Speedbump
October 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The lady should have asked before touching, and the guy was obviously uhm...well, to be honest, based on your description of his behavior, I don't think your hair was "in his way." if you know what I mean. shudder:

And yes, I have been told this on occasion. Because my hair is so big, it's in MY way all the time if it's down, so I know it must be in other people's way. :p

Also, you may want to consider this: The movie theater is one of the most germ and other gross-stuff riddled places on the planet. Just for your own health and safety, I would not wear it down at the movies, just because of the awful things that are on the backs of the seats and especially behind the seats. Not only that, but some people put their FEET up around there ... while you are sitting in front of them. That actually happened to me once when I was still at BSL. A guy was trying to put his foot up on the back of my seat and really grabbed the crap out of my hair and yanked my whole head back. I yelped, bigtime, and he immediately realized he had done a big oopsie. He did apologize, and we both learned something that day: Don't wear your hair down at the theater, and quit putting your @#$% feet on other people's seats. ;)

Sossity
October 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM
The lady should have asked before touching, and the guy was obviously uhm...well, to be honest, based on your description of his behavior, I don't think your hair was "in his way." if you know what I mean. shudder:

And yes, I have been told this on occasion. Because my hair is so big, it's in MY way all the time if it's down, so I know it must be in other people's way. :p

Also, you may want to consider this: The movie theater is one of the most germ and other gross-stuff riddled places on the planet. Just for your own health and safety, I would not wear it down at the movies, just because of the awful things that are on the backs of the seats and especially behind the seats. Not only that, but some people put their FEET up around there ... while you are sitting in front of them. That actually happened to me once when I was still at BSL. A guy was trying to put his foot up on the back of my seat and really grabbed the crap out of my hair and yanked my whole head back. I yelped, bigtime, and he immediately realized he had done a big oopsie. He did apologize, and we both learned something that day: Don't wear your hair down at the theater, and quit putting your @#$% feet on other people's seats. ;)

about the guy I mentioned, sorry if I sound dumb, I have not been around the block so to speak, dont have much experience with guys, what was he doing in your opinion?

I will definitely keep that in mind the next time I am in a theater, thanks for sharing that, I have seen trash & gum as well at theaters so will keep my hair away from all that.

Sossity

ImmortaLamia
October 21st, 2008, 02:32 AM
I remember in middle school my friend had her hair in a pony tail and was in math class. (it's always math class isn't it?) Anyway, the kid sitting behind her was kind of a weirdo, and pulled out a pair of gigantic nail clippers and CUT her pony tail end that was hanging on her desk!!!

:eek::eek::eek: :run:no words for that

KiwiLiz
October 21st, 2008, 04:16 AM
Kind of like strangers walking up and touching my belly when I was pregnant.....I had a BIG problem with that!

People actually do this?! I've heard other women complain about this too, I guess I just thought it was so weird and though surely no one would actually do it. I mean pregnant bellies are an interesting talking point and all, but to go and touch it? It's as though they think it (and hair too) isn't really "you" so they can feel free to handle it.

I was at a rock concert and we were waiting AGES for the band start playing (as you do) and I heard the woman behind me say "Oh, I didn't know hair was in the menu tonight!" -meaning my hair, which was in two tight french braids that had gone a little fuzzy at the parting. Only a LITTLE fuzzy though, she would have pretty much had to be sucking on scalp to have gotten hair in her mouth. Her friend then suggested they singe it with her lighter, I turned and glared. Thankfully my hair made it home safely!

Dolly
October 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
People actually do this?! I've heard other women complain about this too, I guess I just thought it was so weird and though surely no one would actually do it. I mean pregnant bellies are an interesting talking point and all, but to go and touch it?

Oh yeah, when I was pregnant, my belly was HUGE.....they actually thought I was having twins. I would always have people come up and want to touch my belly. Lots of times, when I would see people walking toward me, I would just go the other way. One guy walked toward me and had his hand out like he was going to, and I looked at his hand and said, "If you touch me, you're going to pull back a nub".....he turned and walked away.....good boy!!!

FrannyG
October 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM
The behaviour of both of these people was crude and unacceptable.

At the same time, there are times when one's hair can get in people's face, and it's not pleasant for either party. I think if you're going to be somewhere where you know that people will be in very close proximity, you might be better off to contain your hair, for your own safety and peace of mind.

Speedbump
October 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM
about the guy I mentioned, sorry if I sound dumb, I have not been around the block so to speak, dont have much experience with guys, what was he doing in your opinion?
Honestly? I think he was a f*t*sh*st and that the reason why he took off before you looked around again was because you caught him red-handed at "petting" you and getting off on it. :shrug:

MariaAZ
October 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Some of these posts remind me of another "etiquette" issue with long hair.

I shed like Lassie; always have and probably always will. I'm amazed I have any hair left on my head!

Anyways, when I wear my hair down a few strands invariably work their way down. When I lean back on chairs (particularly fabric ones) I usually leave a few hairs on the chairback. I never gave it any thought until my mother showed me how my long hairs were clogging her carpet sweeper. Mom has very short hair so I couldn't blame it on anyone else ;) So, I started containing my hair whenever I visit someone in their house so I don't create any cleanup issues for them.