PDA

View Full Version : Trim? Moisture treatment? Something else?

Anya15
August 18th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Hello all :)

So my hair is just a little over waist (unstretched) and I haven't been able to take too much care of it for the past one month or so. I noticed that the ends don't feel as soft as before, are a bit lighter in color and have an increased number of splits/white dots. I was ill for nearly 3 weeks (stomach flu followed by regular flu...took a lot of medicines) and possibly this has had an effect on my hair.

So what are the things I can do to baby it so that it gets back to normal? Moisture/protein treatments, a trim, or something else?

Horrorpops
August 18th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Hi Anou, sorry to hear you were sick!

I always go least to most permanent/drastic. Therefore I recommend some nice moisturising treatments and just looking after yourself after all that stress. If that doesn't fix it, try a microtrim or S&D. If that isn't enough then go for a proper trim. You might find something that works along the way too :o

Good luck! And I hope you're feeling better! :hugs:

lapushka
August 18th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I hope you're feeling much better now! :) :flower:

I'd try to S&D a bit to get the worst of those ends off, so they're out of the picture. Medication and other things only affect new growth, so the ends must be from "neglect" in these past weeks. Then I'd try protein followed by moisture if and only if you react favorably to protein. Otherwise just go with a nice deep conditioning; that should do wonders - possibly follow up by a second conditioning focusing on just the ends.

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I'd start with a clarifying wash and maybe a moisture treatment. Chances are that's all it needs. As Lapushka said, being sick and on meds will affect what growth you got (or didn't get) during that time, but there aren't a whole lot of things that affect hair that's already grown (the acne drug Accutane being a plausible exception, mostly because it influences sebum production). It probably just needs a bit of TLC.

HairPlease
August 18th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I agree with the others posting. You should moisturize and S&D before making any dramatic trims. If none of that works, go ahead and microtrim. Neglect while you were sick is definitely a major culprit for your unhappy ends... sorry you were sick. :flower:

Anya15
August 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thank you Horrorpops, Lapushka, Anje and HairPlease!

Yes I'm feeling much better now :)

I am not very sure if my hair likes protein. I've never tried a protein treatment before. (Though my shampoo does contain hydrolyzed milk protein in it - and my hair is happy with it).

I suppose I'll try S&D plus an SMT to start with?

Anje
August 18th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I like to add "clarify" before things like SMTs, just because it's not a very lengthy extra step, and if you've got buildup, it can make a world of difference. If you don't, it's unlikely to cause any problems.

lapushka
August 18th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I like to add "clarify" before things like SMTs, just because it's not a very lengthy extra step, and if you've got buildup, it can make a world of difference. If you don't, it's unlikely to cause any problems.

Definitely. If you've not properly cleansed for a while, or just did it haphazardly due to being sick, it will help!

Wildcat Diva
August 18th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Not only clarify. For me chelating makes a world of difference.

Chromis
August 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Chelating and pampering a bit is probably a good idea, but I would microtrim and do a bit of extra S&D for the ends, since you are spotting splits and that won't fix those. I prefer doing spaced out microtrims to bigger cuts though, especially if the illness has made you have a shed. I find that thickens them up better.

Anya15
August 18th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I don't have "buildup" as such since I just did s&c when I was ill, no products, but I might clarify anyway before the SMT.

I might do an S&D session before I consider microtrimming.

Horrorpops
August 19th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Hi Anou, that sounds like a good idea to me! S&D or a trim is good because the moisturising can only do so much for splits.

Let us know how your hair goes - I remember it being so shiny and healthy looking I am sure it is still stunning! :)

Anya15
August 20th, 2016, 12:32 AM
It looks healthy still, just doesn't feel as soft as it used to at the ends! I'll start with an S&D session.

Pearly~91
August 20th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I voted 'trim' just because if you've noticed a color variation and some split ends you probably have a little damage that needs to go. I needed a trim when I passed waist as well. (I've found that I actually like some fresh ends about once a year or so, which incidentally has been roughly the time taken to grow between body markers for me.)

Of course, you would probably also see improvement with a good S&D, clarification, and deep treatment, as others have said.

ETA: The color variation you're seeing is perfectly normal as you approach longer lengths, and is somewhat unavoidable, so cutting it out doesn't really help if you are going to grow past waist because as your hair grows out again it will just happen again. But you can take it as a sign that the hair at the ends is older and beginning to show ware and tare, so a change of routine could be in order.

reilly0167
August 21st, 2016, 04:56 PM
I say, microtrim and moisture conditioning, makes a world of difference for me. Sometimes I do coconut milk with honey and oil(s)
Its soothing, moisturizing and adds a little bit of protein, I feel I get the best of both worlds, a nice balance.

Anya15
August 23rd, 2016, 09:11 AM
Okay, did an SMT with my regular conditioner and my hair feels a lot better now! :D

I might just do some S&D and let it grow. I want to reach Classic without trims, if possible.

Johannah
August 24th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Okay, did an SMT with my regular conditioner and my hair feels a lot better now! :D

I might just do some S&D and let it grow. I want to reach Classic without trims, if possible.

The splits/dots will not repair anyway, so I would definitely cut them so the damage can't get any worse. And do weekly moisturizing treatments, if SMT is working so well for you, this will definitely help. I wouldn't use protein just yet, only if you notice the moisture isn't helping and/or your curls aren't as defined as you want them to. And if you do decide on using this, start with a light conditioner and not a really strong protein treatment since you've never used it. You'd probably have the most success with hydrolyzed keratin, since most people can stand this kind of protein.

Good luck :flower:

Horrorpops
August 25th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Yay that's great news! :)

animetor7
August 25th, 2016, 03:08 PM
I would trim just a bit, maybe just a dusting. Then follow up with some moisture and protein to help fill in and repair damage as much as is possible for hair. Also if you're not opposed to henna/amla this can help a lot in preventing damage and maintaining the condition of your hair as you reach longer lengths. :)

Lavendersugar
August 25th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I voted moisture treatment. However, I'd advise a microtrim first. Also try aloe as a leave-in.

Anya15
August 25th, 2016, 10:02 PM
I would trim just a bit, maybe just a dusting. Then follow up with some moisture and protein to help fill in and repair damage as much as is possible for hair. Also if you're not opposed to henna/amla this can help a lot in preventing damage and maintaining the condition of your hair as you reach longer lengths. :)

I considered henna, but it will give my hair a reddish tinge that I don't want.

I voted moisture treatment. However, I'd advise a microtrim first. Also try aloe as a leave-in.

Yes, I will consider doing a micro trim if they start feeling velcro-y. Right now they feel better after the SMT.

Anya15
August 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Okay LHC. I have been S&D-ing and while my ends feel smooth and decent, they look weird. Like some of them are really fine and light-colored and just don't feel right. I think I am going to do micro-trims for a while. Hopefully I will do the first one tomorrow (Nervous because I've never cut my own hair before!!!)

lapushka
August 28th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Okay LHC. I have been S&D-ing and while my ends feel smooth and decent, they look weird. Like some of them are really fine and light-colored and just don't feel right. I think I am going to do micro-trims for a while. Hopefully I will do the first one tomorrow (Nervous because I've never cut my own hair before!!!)

If you follow the instructions to a T (maybe print them out and underline or highlight certain things), there shouldn't be a problem! Good luck! Keep us posted on how your trim went. I've been there. It's a little weird the first time. I remember cutting my hair up as a teen (layers, layers, layers), and it not looking half bad (haircutting instruction booklet in one of my mom's magazines). And after a while, you even get a knack for it.

Anya15
August 28th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I'll remember that. Not much can go wrong because my hair is so heavily layered that I'll be trimming only the very longest ones...which means not much hair to trim, so yeah. Not sure about how to shape the hemline, it's a very deep V, should I just do that or go for a U?

ETA: There are also so many things I need to do, like switching up my routine, because my hair is not behaving itself! One wash it's dry, the other it's frizzy and flyaway with no wurl definition and sometimes it's limp and flat. WITH THE SAME ROUTINE. Grrr...I haven't had the time to experiment much either...