PDA

View Full Version : Olympic hairstyles

MlleMC
August 16th, 2016, 07:14 AM
I was watching the Olympic games this week, and I noticed that a lot of athletes have interesting hairstyles, including some with fairly long hair (I saw quite a few with waist length). A lot of the women have accent braids, maybe to hold layers, and some also have very patriotic styles, like Gelete Burka (http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Athletics+Olympics+Day+7+JY56FtxELQUl.jpg).

I'm sure I'm not the only one to watch the games, or even to pay attention to the athletes' hair. We might even pick good ideas for those of us who practice sports. So what styles have you noticed so far?

Inga-Marjukka
August 16th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Ponytails, ponytails everywhere! :lol: Haha, not really but many athletes seem to have them, especially runners. I haven't been watching 24/7 so I can't comment everything but I'd imagine a long high ponytail would be a bit uncomfortable when running.

triumphator!
August 16th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I really like Kerri Walsh Jennings's swingy ponytail braid. She is on the US women's volleyball doubles team. I think it's a little fluffed out, but her hair is very thick, blonde, and maybe between BSL and waist?

Tosca
August 16th, 2016, 07:57 AM
All the female gymnasts seemed to do hairtie buns, with the occasional ponytail on short hair. Plus endless amounts of those snappy clips to hold back wispies.

Platzhalter
August 16th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Currently visiting my grandparents who watch the Olympics and saw at least one bun with an accent braid on a German redhead - not sure about the discipline (think it was one of the many things that fall under athletics) any more, maybe the bun was too distracting ;)

And the one Gelete Burka was wearing is awesome. If there ever is a time to wear a patriotic hairstyle, it's an international sports event.

MlleMC
August 16th, 2016, 01:22 PM
And the one Gelete Burka was wearing is awesome. If there ever is a time to wear a patriotic hairstyle, it's an international sports event.

I know, right! There was also a Jamaican runner with long green and yellow hair, but I didn't notice her name.

lapushka
August 16th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I was so proud (just FYI) of Nafi Thiam (runner, 21, Belgian) who won gold, and she had the neatest plaits in front. Here's an image:
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/Rio-2016/Rio2016_sporten/Rio2016_atletiek/1.2739782

NorraVarg
August 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I know, right! There was also a Jamaican runner with long green and yellow hair, but I didn't notice her name.

It's Shelly-Ann Fraser Price. :)

rmani
August 16th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Women's Rugby was full of braids. The poor ladies who sported ponytails had their hair stamped on :(

Sunshine&Opals
August 16th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Laura Trott, simple double French braids. Plus cycle helmet, ok, she had sweaty hair, but still looked pretty good. And she seems like such a sweetheart too.

meteor
August 16th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I think accent braids and French/Dutch-braiding scalp area are very often seen at sports events ;) - it's just such a great trick for containing all that face-framing hair that needs to be away from the face.

I've seen lots of "man buns" this year, often with undercuts.

Marjory Nyaumwe, of course, had some incredible hairstyle in Rio (http://www.sportsnewsgist.com/nfl/look-give-this-zimbabwe-soccer-player-a-gold-medal-for-her-hair-at-the-rio-olympics/)! :D

EdG
August 16th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Yahoo has an article on colorful hairstyles at the Olympics. https://www.yahoo.com/news/athletes-debut-colorful-hairstyles-olympics-203434423/photo-p-shelly-ann-fraser-pryce-photo-203434910.html

I was surprised to see Yahoo reporting on something that actually matters. :lol:
Ed

yahirwaO.o
August 16th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Athletic girls in high tight ponies kinda give me the creeps!!! shudder:shudder:shudder: Must be so damn tight and do the whole physical activities in those ponies must hurt like hell!!!!!

Tosca
August 16th, 2016, 09:48 PM
The trick is multiple strong hairties. I've danced with a high and tight ponytail, and it's not that bad, except for having hair everywhere. Especially if you're ponytailing tightly everyday, you don't really notice it. And they HAVE to be that tight, otherwise they will start sliding down your head.

Creaky_Girl
August 17th, 2016, 03:08 AM
I noticed yesterday that all the ladies on the GB cycling team have two Dutch/French braids - some tied/pinned together at the back. I guess it's best for helmet hair!

That said, I've also noticed in all their non-sporting attire they are still wearing them, so perhaps they just like wearing them! :)

Our rowers seem to be French plaits or ponytails too :)

Cg
August 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Yahoo has an article on colorful hairstyles at the Olympics. https://www.yahoo.com/news/athletes-debut-colorful-hairstyles-olympics-203434423/photo-p-shelly-ann-fraser-pryce-photo-203434910.html

I was surprised to see Yahoo reporting on something that actually matters. :lol:
Ed

Love it!:hifive:

Sunshine&Opals
August 17th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I think I may have heard one of the GB cyclists saying when interviewed that they had a team to help with hair behind the scenes. Or maybe I dreamt it! I'd love to know how it's done.

papayatree
August 17th, 2016, 02:22 PM
All I can say is that part of the reason why I love the Olympics is seeing all the awesome Hair from the world. My favorite hair style this Olympics is from one Australian Rugby Player, who I had the pleasure of seeing her play live last year, who has beautiful BSL length braids tied with green ribbons. Also, a Hungarian fencer who had just won the gold medal had a picture taken of her when she has this huge flyaway hair from her bun. I have a Picture right here (http://www.francetvsport.fr/sites/default/files/styles/header_image_style/public/images/photos/2016/08/06/349261/emese-szasz-escrime-rio-2016_90ecc65b9819a55b63ea60d6677c08e5.jpg?itok=lgY sj1Zr)

humble_knight
August 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Laura Trott is already an inspiration to many. I noticed on some websites that people are now talking about her in terms of hair goals. She has longer hair now than in 2012 and I am sure many young girls and women will feel inspired to take up cycling because of her.