PDA

View Full Version : My Six-tacular Hairversary! 6 Years of Growing!

AspenSong
August 15th, 2016, 11:41 AM
So, 6 years on LHC! My have things have grown and changed.
Don't think I probably thought 6 years ago when I signed up on the board because I was tired of lurking, that the things that have happened here and because of this place, would have happened. I just wanted to grow my hair a little longer and more healthy and get some tips on that. And at the time, I just wanted to get to waist length...oh how That changed!

Let's journey...shall we!

I always post this, but I love to see where I came from. On the left is my hair before I joined, after I'd had hubby cut about 6-8" of worse bleach damage off. At this point, I was lurking, but not signed up here. On the Right, is after I'd signed up and been here about 6 months and I had just done my first cassia treatment. These are about a year apart in time! I was so excited by the strides I'd made in changing things in my hair care and a few more small trims. My hair looked like it belonged to a different person.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2hx944h.jpg

I started growing it out from here....I'd been dyeing my hair back and forth between light to dark for several years and had been blonde and hovering around shoulder to chin length for a while, just because all the back and forth dye jobs, obviously left it not in the greatest shape on my ends at times.
http://i63.tinypic.com/29n6tea.jpg

So, better care started and along the way, I picked up my first ever LHC hair toy - a flexi. Here's my first back of my head selfie bun shot! AWWWW! lol.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2r20rb9.jpg

My hair kept growing. I remember taking this photo because I was excited my hair was getting long again.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2mfgbgy.jpg

Along the road I've tried out tons of things on my hair - Like Cocoon curls, seen here. Some worked and obviously there were some disasters. haha
http://i63.tinypic.com/2d2d275.jpg

And I've been down all the no shampoo, CO washing, Silicone, No Silicones, Every different kind of oil, Henna, Cassia, Coffee rinse, Monistat....roads. haha. And after all the trial and error arrived at the fact that my hair just likes some sulfate free shampooing a couple times a week, cone-free conditioner and a bit of light oil and the occasional coconut oil soak. Pretty simple.

I also nurtured up myself a nice collection of hair sticks and pretties along the way and discovered a deep love of all the acrylics and the deep seeded desire for MOAR acrylic sticks!! I've bought and traded and sold more hair items than "normal" people can wrap their minds around, learned to make hair items, discovered hair sticks and things I fell in love with and searched the internet and swap boards for, and participated in some wonderful swaps on the swap boards. And I've experienced great kindness from others and a wonderfully giving attitude in general and been gifted some special things along the way and offered some special things that I desperately wanted.
Newest amazing thing - The LI Opal that Hele gifted me in the Summer Swap. Because how awesome is that and where do you find people so nice floating around the internet?!
http://i66.tinypic.com/2v1q06r.jpg

And no post by me here would probably be complete without Seeshami involved or mentioned in some way. I have met and talked with and know many lovely people here at LHC - many people I consider friends, despite them just being over the computer, many people I hope to get to know better!
But LHC led me to a wonderful friendship that goes beyond long hair.
A little over 3 years ago, I randomly messaged someone here that I noticed also lived in Colorado and not too far from me. I love photography and wanted to see if she wanted to meet up and do photos sometime and model for me, so to speak. I'd get photo experience with taking portraits and she could have the photos to use also. We messaged back and forth here and eventually met. While I thought it would be nice to have a friend with a long hair interest, I don't know that I even figured it would go that way. I think we partly just met to do an "LHC" mini meet and because it seemed like a good idea to meet before we did photos. So we met and immediately hit it off. And from there, our ridiculousness was born. lol. I found a wonderful, fun friend in Seeshami and have spent many "real life" hours with her since, road tripping, doing pottery, painting, buying all the crazy gummies at the Asian market and just generally being a couple of weirdos. I will be always thankful for this gift I got because of this place!
http://i67.tinypic.com/s60g0x.jpg

Sometimes she tries to kill me with our braided together hair though....And sometimes I make ugly faces in pics and NIC CAGE happens. Oh yeah. And here you probably thought this would be mostly weird Nic Cage face free. lol But seriously....my face in that pic....holy Derp.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2dimyyw.jpg

That brings us to the end and a new length shot! I started this whole hair growth journey, hoping to get to waist length. Then waist turned to hip, that turned to tailbone...that turned to Classic and now it's just....As long as it wants to get!
I do have what I feel like is a minority hair type here - Fine and thin! I didn't know what my hair would do getting that long or if it would, but I've just kept growing and tried to keep it in good shape. As of now, I'm at the Top of my Calf! Never thought it would get that long or that I'd surpass knee! But here I am and I'm keeping going - only 11.5" to Floor!!! Hopefully next year there will be more hair and less of my fat body...*sigh*
http://i68.tinypic.com/14k8g02.jpg

Aaaaaand....I totally made DH try to take action shots because I've never taken any in all this time because I always feel like my hair is too wimpy in thickness for cool action shots....
http://i68.tinypic.com/5a5i02.jpg

With that, I just say Thank you for the last 6 years and here's to the next 6 more, longer hair and more fun!!

HairPlease
August 15th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Oh my gosh you've had such an amazing journey here, congratulations on making a great friend and growing that lovely hair! Simply thudworthy! This post is so inspiring.

triumphator!
August 15th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Congratulations! Your hair is amazing!!

pailin
August 15th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Wow, congratulations! Your hair's rather amazing, and absolute proof that thin hair does not need to be short.

matentur
August 15th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Very impressive! Just got to 2 years myself, so that is 3 times the growing! And it looks awesome!

summergame
August 15th, 2016, 12:11 PM
congrats!! It's lovely to read that you've got such an amazing band with another forum member! So it is not only good for long hair stuff :P

Nightshade
August 15th, 2016, 12:13 PM
So amazing! Happy anniversary! :cheer:

slynr
August 15th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous and inspirational for other fine haired peeps. Congratulations!!

vampyyri
August 15th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Happy Hairversary, AspenSong!! :cheer: Your hair looks simply amazing, I didn't realize it was SO long!! :thud:

I also loved the story of how you and Seeshami met, that's amazing that you have found such a close friend on here!

althara
August 15th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Holy growth batman! Happy hairversary!

TatsuOni
August 15th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Congrats! :cheer: Amazing hair! :)

Floh
August 15th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Congrats ! Your hair is realy long and looks great

Hailwidis
August 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Whee, amazing length! It's really inspiring for us LHCers on the finer side.

Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful mane. :)

Cg
August 15th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Wow, what a change in six years! Congratulations!

lapushka
August 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Congrats on your progress! :D

rmani
August 15th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Congrats and happy hairversary!

hobbitlocks
August 15th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Congrats -- I LOVE the action shots!!

butterfly_dream
August 15th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Happy Hairversary, AspenSong!:toast: Your hair is amazing!

diddiedaisy
August 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Congratulations, you are an inspiration for those with thin/fine hair who wonder if they can grow their hair long. :thud:

Agnes Hannah
August 15th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Congratulations aspensong!!
Gorgeous hair!!

roseomalley
August 15th, 2016, 03:53 PM
i loved reading your six-year anniversary story! I have fine and thin hair, too, so it was very inspirational for me. May you have many more years of happy, growing hair.

Beatnik Guy
August 15th, 2016, 04:17 PM
6 years? I guess that makes sense as you grew quite a lot more hair. :frog:

:thud:

Elly May
August 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks for sharing--I love seeing your pics and your journey--I also have thin, fine, fragile hair, and you are inspiring!

Vanilla
August 15th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Congrats on your hairiversary! I can't believe you're past knee now?! Where did the time go? I remember when you reached classic.

AspenSong
August 15th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Aw, thanks everyone!

I can't believe I'm past knee either Vanilla! I really thought I was still AT knee and it wasn't until Seeshami looked at it a couple weeks ago that she was like....um...you're at the top of Calf!
Frankly, my body proportions helps with less time between markers after tailbone. lol. I've got short legs, so all those markers move fast. hehe.

Ya know, there are a lot of days I struggle with my hair type. You can't be friends in real life with Seeshami and see her hair and NOT feel some hair envy when all your hair is less than 1/3 of hers. haha. But I do my best to love what I have and I really really do hope that someone else with hair similar to mine - fine, thin, fairy hair - finds hope or something in their growing journey by knowing that LONG hair with this type, is totally possible. It takes some extra TLC and some acceptance, but it's doable!

Saige
August 15th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Congrats AspenSong! Your hair is stunning! :thud:

VikingVampChick
August 15th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Congratulations! You are definitely an inspiration - I just started my growing journey over again around March/April of this year (chin bob to just past wl and back again, now back to sl, heading to wl or beyond). :applause

EdG
August 15th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Congratulations on six years! :happydance:
Ed

Tosca
August 16th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Yay! Someone with past classic hair that isn't 4in+ circumference. My circumference is 2.25-2.5in right now (medication related thinning) and it's to see someone else with thin and long hair. :D

DaveDecker
August 16th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Quite a journey, AspenSong - and kudos to your achievement!

So that's what Manilda looks like in summery weather. :lol: (Having met Seeshami, I can relate to your envy of TNM).

Johannah
August 16th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Congratulations!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

jazzhands
August 16th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Congrats! :toast: What an adventure!
By the way, those ringlets are gorgeous. :crush:

Mimha
August 16th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Amazing hair journey, AspenSong ! Your hair is among the mythical ones in here and fully deserves all the compliments : beautiful shine, wonderful warm color and thudworthy length !... And THAT BIG BUN !! :thud: :thud: I can't stop staring and gaping in awe when I see it ! :crush:

I loved reading your story. I imagine how nice it is to meet an LHCer IRL, and what luck to become best friends like you and Seeshami !... :) :)
thank you so much for sharing ! :flowers:

Rhodugune
August 16th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Congratulations and what a happy read, your hair is just lovely and how it has grown since you joined! :flowers:

gossamer
August 16th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Everything about this thread makes me so happy! Hooray for amazing hair! Hooray for friendship!

Horrorpops
August 16th, 2016, 10:34 AM
What a spectacular journey and your hair is so shiny and healthy!! Just lovely! :o

neko_kawaii
August 16th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Happy six-tacular! *hugs*

Anje
August 16th, 2016, 11:04 AM
6 years with that kind of growth seems amazing to me! It looks like you haven't got much taper at all, which is really awesome. Thin or no, your hair is so encouraging to me with my not-thick hair. :)

DarkChocolate
August 16th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Happy Anniversary:) Your hair is very pretty:) The bun picture is my favorite.

samanthaa
August 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Congrats on such a successful journey! As a fellow thin, fine haired member, I'm in awe of your progress! And you have some of the coolest updo shots!

AspenSong
August 16th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks you sweeties!!

Anje - There's more taper than appears in photos. DH brushed my hair and arranged it like that because he knows I hate my thin ends. My ends taper down to smaller than a pencil, so there's taper. But I mean, that happens when you don't trim tons and my hair isn't crazy thick so of course where it does taper down is going to be itty bitty. I do occasionally have fantasies about cutting all the thinner ends off or just finding where my bangs have grown to now - which I think is about TBL now, maybe a bit higher - and cutting all my hair to that length so it's all together and thickened up. BUT....I really want to see how long it'll get, so growing on!

Stub
August 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Congrats on 6 years growth! I absolutely love that last action shot!!

Anje
August 16th, 2016, 03:23 PM
My shrinks below pencil size by about tailbone, though, and I'm starting off at the nape with about 3". So I'm STILL impressed that you've got that at calf. So there! :D

lapushka
August 16th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Ya know, there are a lot of days I struggle with my hair type. You can't be friends in real life with Seeshami and see her hair and NOT feel some hair envy when all your hair is less than 1/3 of hers. haha. But I do my best to love what I have and I really really do hope that someone else with hair similar to mine - fine, thin, fairy hair - finds hope or something in their growing journey by knowing that LONG hair with this type, is totally possible. It takes some extra TLC and some acceptance, but it's doable!

I'm a iii, my mom is i/ii, more like i these past years. She has always said to me "you've got good hair", with that look of half-regret in her eye that says, "wish I had hair like yours". At one point in her life, when she was in her 40s (she's in her 70s now), she had red, BSL hair that was mostly in a b-butt bun with awesome bangs - I loved her hair like that. Now it's between shoulder & APL and light blonde (because of graying). I'm sure she is as envious of my hair as I am of hers. It's always brighter on the other side, isn't it? But thinner hair has its beauty too, don't ever forget that! :thumbsup:

AspenSong
August 17th, 2016, 10:15 AM
You're right lapushka! It might be hard for me at times to find those silver linings, but I know they're there. For instance, my hair is the length it is and I've never had a headache from having my hair up because it's heavy...because it's not! And if I make a compact bun, I can usually still use the first sticks I ever bought that were 5" long! Not always...but still, to just be getting to where they're harder to use at this length, means I've been able to wear them a long time...In comparison to dear Seeshami who has to whittle her toys down and get bigger ones every year it seems like and can't use most of the usual makers unless it's a crazy custom because no one is just randomly making a lot of 8" sticks. So I know there are some small trade offs and I do try to focus on those. :D

Beborani
August 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Yours is the most inspiring hair I have seen here on lhc. Congratulations!

Eta after reading the posts: Also your hair not thin. It is average thickness and extraordinary length--if you have pencil thickness at the end that is very impressive as most ends taper to nothing at longer lengths.

DweamGoiL
August 17th, 2016, 06:08 PM
I didn't see this thread until today, but wanted to congratulate you on your hair growth. That is quite an amazing journey in so many respects!!! :applause