PDA

View Full Version : Q: BRAIDING OWN HAIR > THE DREADED and DISCOURAGING TASK!

ADG
August 14th, 2016, 06:23 AM
2016 BRAIDING HELP AND BEST TUTORIALS!

Please help and guide me in the best direction.
Of course, we know that braiding doesn't change from year to the next, but I am having the hardest time learning to braid my own hair that I don't want to give up, but I am just discouraged at this point.
I want to find a good book or dvd to help me, but I would prefer a video vs. pictures if possible.

These are my MANE (no pun intended ;) ) problems, and maybe someone here can shed some light onto my problems and help me?
- My hair is very fine and thin, which breaks easily and tangles almost instantly. I hate hearing the breaking /snapping sound.
- I lose AT LEAST one of my strands when braiding at some point.
- I can't seem to keep the 3 strands separately to refind them?
- I am not holding my hands/fingers properly, because the braid looks (pulled too far away - meaning the back comes into the side at times).
- Basically, I need some guidance before I give up, which is why I never learned to braid.

Please help.

I like MissySue on Youtube, and she has been the most helpful (for me), but are some other great tutorials and help?

How are Karen Ribble's book and dvds?

Thank you!

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 06:58 AM
How long is your hair? Because braiding becomes different with length (more need to separate strands as you go with length, etc.).

pailin
August 14th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Torrinpaige (YouTube) does a lot of braiding tutorials, some very complicated. I really like her basic french and dutch braiding videos - she explains a lot about how to hold your hands,and that was how I finally learned to french and dutch braid.

Tosca
August 14th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Video on how to do plaits (3 strand braids) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJY4lna5q0

How to do plaits on your own hair https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6m7uG_ICfvw

If your ends are thin, I'd advise getting some clear hairties to finish the ends of your plaits with, to save you wrapping a normal hairtie around 10 times.

In terms of fine hair, my hair is also fine and it clings to my fingers as I plait. To combat this I do what gossamer does (smoothing down the length of hair) after every turn. Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0

As for losing strands, practice plaiting in front of a mirror so you can see what you're doing.

Keeping strands separated, you could try putting a hairtie halfway down the separated lengths so even if you lose your grip they stay in place.

Also, try plaiting your hair into one or two side plaits to start with. The whole plaiting behind your head thing is harder, and not the best place to start.

Hairkay
August 14th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Video on how to do plaits (3 strand braids) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJY4lna5q0

How to do plaits on your own hair https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6m7uG_ICfvw

If your ends are thin, I'd advise getting some clear hairties to finish the ends of your plaits with, to save you wrapping a normal hairtie around 10 times.

In terms of fine hair, my hair is also fine and it clings to my fingers as I plait. To combat this I do what gossamer does (smoothing down the length of hair) after every turn. Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0

As for losing strands, practice plaiting in front of a mirror so you can see what you're doing.

Keeping strands separated, you could try putting a hairtie halfway down the separated lengths so even if you lose your grip they stay in place.

Also, try plaiting your hair into one or two side plaits to start with. The whole plaiting behind your head thing is harder, and not the best place to start.

That's good advice Tosca,

I smooth down my hair at ever pass because with my tight curls it can get tangled very quickly without that motion.

Another helpful tip is to start small, practice doing an accent braid in the front of your hair. When you're more confident you could try plaiting/braiding two sections in the front of your hair. You can tie it all back together with the rest of your hair for a style. When you're happy with how this turns out you can try plaiting/braiding your hair into two plaits/braids then next time just the one. When you want to try something else like flat twisting, cornrows, French/Dutch braiding, fishtail etc you can start the same way with a section at the front for an accent braid then go on from there.

Cg
August 14th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Maybe you could start with just a simple short plait until your fingers learn the best holds. Then gradually increase the length of the plait as you get more confident. Practice does help.

My thin, fine hair tangles easily too, so I ALWAYS smooth every strand all the way to the ends. This means gently detangling every single time you cross. As Lapushka pointed out, longer hair takes much more time and effort to plait. After about BSL, I found the time required increased geometrically, not linearly. Patience.

Nini
August 14th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Do you know how to braid, like in general? Braiding something together, or someone else?

It's all about understanding the technique and translating it to the back of your head. I'm not good at braiding others, myself is a piece of cake.

A few lost hairs here and there is nothing to worry about, so long as your general thickness isn't decreasing you're all good. This also changes with the seasons.

I have some sort of flicking motion that separates the strands while I braid, if necessary I also smooth down the whole section, but it's not something I know how to explain. It's just something I do:)

browneyedsusan
August 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I kind of practiced in front of the mirror, but the mirror image was confusing, so I closed my eyes sometimes to concentrate on how my fingers felt with the strands of hair in them. (Feeling how to situate the hair with my hands?) I'd make a pass, then close my eyes to concentrate on how my hands felt. Then make another pass, and close my eyes again. Then I'd undo and do it again. Maybe this time I'd add another pass.

You'll get it. Keep after it. Work at it every day. You'll get it.

:)

Sunshine&Opals
August 14th, 2016, 09:45 AM
How about getting yourself a hairdressers model head (like a "Girls World" toy, but better) to practise on? That way you can perfect your technique without damaging your own hair.

ETA: It might also be worth trying with a paranda, as the thickness and extra length may help with forming a braid on your own hair.

ADG
August 14th, 2016, 11:30 AM
How long is your hair? Because braiding becomes different with length (more need to separate strands as you go with length, etc.).

My hair is long (and baby fine) about 4-5 inches past bra strap, so maybe 18-20 inches long from neck.
Separating is very difficult for me (and the tangles are not helping).
Thank you for any help and/or advise.

Do you know how to braid, like in general? Braiding something together, or someone else?

It's all about understanding the technique and translating it to the back of your head. I'm not good at braiding others, myself is a piece of cake.

A few lost hairs here and there is nothing to worry about, so long as your general thickness isn't decreasing you're all good. This also changes with the seasons.

I have some sort of flicking motion that separates the strands while I braid, if necessary I also smooth down the whole section, but it's not something I know how to explain. It's just something I do:)

I do know how to braid in general, which is a good start. ;)
I can braid on other people, but having a hard time for myself.
Explaining braid is VERY difficult! I understand.

It might also be worth trying with a paranda, as the thickness and extra length may help with forming a braid on your own hair.

What is a paranda? :confused:

Has anyone here ordered or used Karen Ribble's Braid Your Own Hair (http://braidedimage.com/store.html) (dvd and books)?
IF so, would you recommend to others?

Anya15
August 14th, 2016, 12:11 PM
A few drops of your oil of choice on the fingertips as I'm braiding works wonders for me when my hair is frizzing and doesn't behave! :)

If you don't like oils you can use a leave in serum or something.

Creaky_Girl
August 14th, 2016, 12:18 PM
My hair is long (and baby fine) about 4-5 inches past bra strap, so maybe 18-20 inches long from neck.
Separating is very difficult for me (and the tangles are not helping).

Your hair sounds like mine. I cannot manage a French/Dutch braid for the life of me because of the tangle. I find the braids where the strands stay the same each time (like an English braid) are the easiest to do on myself - perhaps try and master one of those starting with a side plait first? The more you practice the closer to your head you can get - My fishtail braids that I learned recently are very loose at the top, whereas I've been English braiding for years. It is all about practice and patience unfortunately. I have found Torrin Page's youtube videos because she makes it clear what she's doing - but your mileage will vary as her hair is so thick!

How do you normally wear your hair, out of interest? I'm wondering if there's anything you do naturally that can be adapted.

I'm afraid I've no idea about the book/dvd you mention though.

ADG
August 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
It is all about practice and patience unfortunately.
How do you normally wear your hair, out of interest? I'm wondering if there's anything you do naturally that can be adapted.
I'm afraid I've no idea about the book/dvd you mention though.

Practice and patience are correct, and I am horrible at both. ;)
Normally, I wear my hair down, in a bun, put up with bobby pins or clips (the basic stuff). ;)
That is ok, because I know there are so many books and videos already out there.
Thank you for all your replies.

Creaky_Girl
August 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Ok- you know when you bun your hair, you can kind of twist the hair to keep it together more to be it to wrap neatly? If you're English braiding you can do something similar- a slight twist each cross over sometimes helps keep it together and stops it getting quite so tangled.

Good luck!

MsPharaohMoan
August 14th, 2016, 02:00 PM
-is suspicious that the pun, in fact, was MUCH intended-

for some reason I love this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ3PSXPaINA showing how to do a rope braid, back of the head, on yourself. It's easy to follow along when videos are like this.

Chromis
August 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Try mastering the basic braid first. Others have given great links.

I started by simply braiding my hair every night for bed. I still do this! Cut down on all of my tangles and let me practise without having to worry if it was not neat enough. This was very handy for teaching myself to French braid too. My biggest advise to smooth down the hair section after each twist. Then it can't get tangled.

ADG
August 14th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Ok- you know when you bun your hair, you can kind of twist the hair to keep it together more to be it to wrap neatly? If you're English braiding you can do something similar- a slight twist each cross over sometimes helps keep it together and stops it getting quite so tangled.

Good luck!

Oh, good point! :)
Thank you.

-is suspicious that the pun, in fact, was MUCH intended-

for some reason I love this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ3PSXPaINA showing how to do a rope braid, back of the head, on yourself. It's easy to follow along when videos are like this.

OK! That guy has way better hair than me! LOL

Sunshine&Opals
August 14th, 2016, 04:49 PM
A paranda, as I understand it, ADG, (and I'm a bit of newbie!) is just a length of wool, yarn, or ribbon that is plaited into the hair to add interest, texture, length, volume and/or colour. It may just complicate things even more for you, but you might find it worth a try if you are feeling particularly patient, and have some spare yarn laying about one day! I have fairly fine hair, and I loved the extra thickness and length that my self made paranda plait gave me, plus I could plait right down to the very tail ends of hair. The yarn seemed to help to keep the braid strands neat. I used a YouTube video recommended somewhere on here iirc.

Deborah
August 14th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Don't feel badly about this. I have had long hair my whole life and still cannot do anything but a plain old braid; not a French braid or any of the others. :shrug:

Some of my friends find it easier to braid their hair when it is pretty damp, and say the braids hold in place better this way too. Maybe try it that way.

ADG
August 15th, 2016, 04:52 AM
A paranda, as I understand it, ADG, (and I'm a bit of newbie!) is just a length of wool, yarn, or ribbon that is plaited into the hair to add interest, texture, length, volume and/or colour. It may just complicate things even more for you, but you might find it worth a try if you are feeling particularly patient, and have some spare yarn laying about one day! I have fairly fine hair, and I loved the extra thickness and length that my self made paranda plait gave me, plus I could plait right down to the very tail ends of hair. The yarn seemed to help to keep the braid strands neat. I used a YouTube video recommended somewhere on here iirc.

A paranda does sound helpful?
I will search for this on youtube. :)
Thank you.

ADG
August 15th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Don't feel badly about this. I have had long hair my whole life and still cannot do anything but a plain old braid; not a French braid or any of the others. :shrug:

Some of my friends find it easier to braid their hair when it is pretty damp, and say the braids hold in place better this way too. Maybe try it that way.

Thank you.
I just REALLY want to learn for myself, but it is much harder than I anticipated.
These Youtubers make it look SO easy! LOL

truepeacenik
August 15th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but slippery hair is an issue when learning braiding skills. Some people try new braids on second day hair, that is a tiny bit dirty, or use a product to help hair grab onto itself.
Maybe clips at the ends would help.

I can't braid in front of a mirror. Too many mental reversals to watch myself while braiding "backwards", as I learned by braiding others' hair.

Horrorpops
August 15th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Honestly I had similar problems with tangles and fine hair breaking while I learnt to braid. The thing that helped me the most was practicing when I wasn't in a hurry and had plenty of time to make sure my hair was brushed, and so I could smooth it down between each braiding step and not have to rush and cause tangles.

I think a combination of patience and practice will reward you very soon :o however there are a lot of other good suggestions in this thread regarding mirrors, side braids etc too :)

As an aside, how good is MissySue?! I love her tutorials!

Entangled
August 15th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Have you tried doing side braids or pigtail braids? That helped me learn new braids because I didn't have to worry about bringing the hair over my shoulder.
Good luck! Unfortunately, the website I used to learn is now defunct, dreamweaver braiding.

Anje
August 15th, 2016, 10:53 AM
For what it's worth, I learned most of how to style my hair out of the Anne Johnson book Hair: A book of braiding and styles. It was good for showing me how to position my hands and hold things, well before the days of Youtube. (Also good for the long-haired kid of short-haired parents that didn't know much about how to handle hair.) If you're looking for a book to learn from, I'd recommend it.

ADG
August 15th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Honestly I had similar problems with tangles and fine hair breaking while I learnt to braid. The thing that helped me the most was practicing when I wasn't in a hurry and had plenty of time to make sure my hair was brushed, and so I could smooth it down between each braiding step and not have to rush and cause tangles.

I think a combination of patience and practice will reward you very soon :o however there are a lot of other good suggestions in this thread regarding mirrors, side braids etc too :)

As an aside, how good is MissySue?! I love her tutorials!

I know right!
MissySue is awesome, and she makes it look SO SO SO EASY!

HeartofHaleth
August 15th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Have you tried doing side braids or pigtail braids? That helped me learn new braids because I didn't have to worry about bringing the hair over my shoulder.
Good luck! Unfortunately, the website I used to learn is now defunct, dreamweaver braiding.

I saw so many mentions of that site in old threads, I was so disappointed to find that it was no longer up...but...I found an archived version where you can still look at all the tutorials!http://archive.is/www.dreamweaverbraiding.com

Ana H.
August 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Besides Missy Sue, I love Kayley Melissa's YouTube channel and Bebxo and Twist Me Pretty for braiding tutorials. Sometimes it can help to watch several different tutorials of the same braid until you find one that clicks and makes sense to you with the way you think. A bad tutorial can make something very simple seem impossibly confusing.

Also, something that might help to keep the strands separate when you're first learning is to tie three little ponytails (the sections) with small hair ties and then tie one half way down each ponytail and one on the end of each ponytail. That will keep the strands from getting all mixed up and prevent the ends from tangling while you're practicing.

Happy braiding! =)

ADG
August 16th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but slippery hair is an issue when learning braiding skills. Some people try new braids on second day hair, that is a tiny bit dirty, or use a product to help hair grab onto itself.
Maybe clips at the ends would help.

I can't braid in front of a mirror. Too many mental reversals to watch myself while braiding "backwards", as I learned by braiding others' hair.

I am going to try and braid by feel and not rely on the mirror as much.
Yes, slippery silky hair can be troublesome.
Thank you.

Besides Missy Sue, I love Kayley Melissa's YouTube channel and Bebxo and Twist Me Pretty for braiding tutorials. Sometimes it can help to watch several different tutorials of the same braid until you find one that clicks and makes sense to you with the way you think. A bad tutorial can make something very simple seem impossibly confusing.

Also, something that might help to keep the strands separate when you're first learning is to tie three little ponytails (the sections) with small hair ties and then tie one half way down each ponytail and one on the end of each ponytail. That will keep the strands from getting all mixed up and prevent the ends from tangling while you're practicing.

Happy braiding! =)

I am going to check those other Youtube channels out as well. Thank you.
I like the idea of three little pony tails, because I am definitely getting them mixed up. :(

Sunshine&Opals
August 16th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Just a thought re the three little pony tails - you might find it useful for those bands (hair "elastics," if you will) to be three separate colours, maybe?, to really see where you are.

Entangled
August 16th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I saw so many mentions of that site in old threads, I was so disappointed to find that it was no longer up...but...I found an archived version where you can still look at all the tutorials!http://archive.is/www.dreamweaverbraiding.com

Wow! Thank you! It makes me happy that a record survived.:)

HeartofHaleth
August 16th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Wow! Thank you! It makes me happy that a record survived.:)

You're very welcome! Always glad to share the happy little things I find in the course of my Internet travels...:p