PDA

View Full Version : What do You Consider Long Hair?

QuietVixen
August 14th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Hi everyone! What does everyone consider as long hair and why? For example, I consider BSL long because I've never had hair longer than half past APL, and that was when I was 5 years old!

Henni
August 14th, 2016, 05:45 AM
I consider BSL long and longer than waist very long.

I never had hair longer than BSL.

PixieP
August 14th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I find it differs from person to person. I see some people and go "wow, her hair is so long!" when it might just be APL, and others I see hair that is down to hip and don't really think too much about it. For me it's not as much about the actual length, but how the person carries it, what condition it's in, and the mass of hair compared to their body. I tend to not think younger girls in my country (teens, early twenties) have long hair, because I know where I live most of those who look like they have long hair in that age has extensions. I tend to notice well-cared for hair more than length; I saw a lady a couple of days ago with TBL hair, she was a 2b/2c, but it was so tangly and frizzy and looked really unkept, like she just didn't care for it. Even though it's technically long in inches, it doesn't feel like long hair, if that makes sense :P

adrenaline
August 14th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I find it differs from person to person.
Of course it does! :D I consider waist/past waist long, and wouldn't call a person with BSL long-haired ^^ But years ago i would have.

calmyogi
August 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
I think when the hair is well into waist length it's long. The longest part of my hair is just now entering waist and it wasn't until very recently I considered my hair long, or people even noticed, only in the last month of two has anyone said "oh your hair is long".

Decoy24601
August 14th, 2016, 06:22 AM
I don't consider hair long until about WL. SL and shorter is "short" to me, and between SL and WL is an average/medium length in my opinion. It hasn't been until recently that I've felt like my hair is long and I'm in-between TBL and classic, with some layers at a bit below hip.

Lilith91
August 14th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Past BSL, for me

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 06:43 AM
These threads come by ever so often. ;) So I can't recall what I answered before this...

I think for me, right now, past BSL, waist... that region.

Hairkay
August 14th, 2016, 06:49 AM
I think my answer last time this question came up was that BSL is getting long. I have heard a variety of lengths that some consider long. It's kind of subjective. Stay around LHC long enough and BSL won't seen long at all ;)

TatsuOni
August 14th, 2016, 06:53 AM
At other people, around waist. At myself, I don't know if I will ever really feel that it's long:p I can look at someones hair and think that "wow that's beautiful long hair. I wish I had that long hair", just to realize that my hair is just as long...

Mimha
August 14th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Humm :hmm:

Here is my own personal length appreciation :

Above APL is not long enough to be considered anything like "long" (in French, we have "cheveux mi-longs" for this stage : "half-long")
Between APL to BSL is what I would call "pretending to be long" or "flirting with length"
From BSL to waist is the first stage really deserving the adjective "long" because you can start to make decent updos
From waist to TBL is "truly long" (I'm here now, he he he :p)
From TBL to classic is "very long" (the longest I have ever been)
Beyond classic is "extremely long" (FTL : my most desired goal length if I don't hit terminal sooner !... :cloud9:)
Below knee to ankle length is "extraordinary long" (calf if still not at terminal and I ever decide to push it further !...)
Floor length and beyond is "too long"... without restrictive meaning : just because I consider it a no-way for precious Moody Mane to drag on the floor.

Tosca
August 14th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I think hair is short until waist/hip, middling is waist/hip to classicish, and then long starts at around classic (give or take a few inches). Past knee is very long.

trolleypup
August 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Given that I have been "very long" by almost anyone's definition for a very long time, and I live in an area where long hair is common...just my opinion...

For men, SL to APL is long, past MBL(BSL) is very long. For women, long starts past BSL, and very long around TBL. So "long" is relatively common, while "very long" is unusual and notable, but not rare. Extreme lengths like TBL (men) and Thigh (women) are the rarities, but not vanishingly so.

vampyyri
August 14th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I remember admiring someone's hair in my office, and I realized her hair was "only" a bit past BSL, and I was thinking "wow her hair looks so long". Meanwhile I am constantly thinking that my hair isn't "long"... Hair dysmorphia anyone? xD

Cg
August 14th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Plus our viewpoint may change as our own hair lengthens.

H o n є y ❤
August 14th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I consider WL hair to be long and BSL to be "almost long."

diddiedaisy
August 14th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I've answered one of these polls before and I put bsl. I think in the real world most consider that long. However, now that I'm bsl I don't consider it long, but I do when I see it on other people lol

MidnightMoon
August 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Only hair past someone's butt, somewhere between tailbone and classic would make me look twice. Having long hair myself, and after reaching tailbone and cutting back three times already, I don't feel like waist or hip is actually long. It's not the norm but it's common and is a length almost anyone who actually wants long hair can reach. Now, classic and longer is unusual and does actually look like something a person decided and actively cares for, not just a trend or a "youthful" style anyone can have with a little effort (because yes, people around here who do have the genes or decently good hair can heat syle it, brush it as they will and wear it down and still have very well looking long hair). In my case it's more of an achievement because it's so fine, but anyone with coarse hair seems to grow it long without giving it much thought...

yogagirl
August 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM
WL+ for me.

I remember admiring someone's hair in my office, and I realized her hair was "only" a bit past BSL, and I was thinking "wow her hair looks so long". Meanwhile I am constantly thinking that my hair isn't "long"... Hair dysmorphia anyone? xD
I think partially this happens because hair looks so much shorter from the front when looking in a mirror than from the back, esp when seen from a few steps back. From the front it usually looks one milestone shorter, so WL looks like BSL etc.

littlestarface
August 14th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Only butt length hair and below is long, anything knee and below is very loooong,, above waist is short, above bsl is "wow that's short hair".

Olavi
August 14th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I consider long hair to start from BSL, no matter the gender or thickness. Therefore, although it is too short for intricate updos, my hair is long, no matter what anyone else says.

Personally I have ditched the idea of "LHC long", it just grinds my nerves and made me feel bad about myself.

sanguinebread
August 14th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I usually consider WL long on other people, but I have hip/BCL hair and still don't think my hair is long, somehow. Classic+ is very long.

On the other hand, in a context where I'm contrasting with a pixie cut or bob, or trying to explain someone doesn't have a cut like that, I might call shoulder or APL long.

lithostoic
August 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
BSL is long. APL is medium, getting close to long.

Dark40
August 14th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I consider APL hair long, and I've never had hair longer than MBL.

Deborah
August 14th, 2016, 06:26 PM
According to the musical "Hair" long hair is "shoulder length or longer." In the real world that is about right.

Doom
August 14th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Anything past waist.

rowie
August 14th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Given that I have been "very long" by almost anyone's definition for a very long time, and I live in an area where long hair is common...just my opinion...

For men, SL to APL is long, past MBL(BSL) is very long.

Wow,really. :shocked: but then what you say is true since that is what is "commonly" seen at men's hair boards and a lot of other places. Now that I'm a little past classic and almost at upper thigh length, I still feel like my hair is super short like I belong in the super shorties thread. I should visit them since I started in that thread... Many years ago.... Really has it been that long. Ughhhhhh

I wonder when I'll feel like I have long hair.....:ponder:

Lavendersugar
August 14th, 2016, 09:45 PM
For general population I'd say BSL is standard long.
IMO middle of back/waist. To me the hair needs to be healthy. Seeing hair that is damaged or not well cared for I just don't see the point of having it that way. Health to me is more important than length.

althara
August 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I consider waist length+ long.

HairPlease
August 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Neck and shorter - Short

APL - Average

BSL - Medium-long

Waist - Long

Hip+ - Very long

ravenheather
August 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I think bsl/mbl is long although not uncommon.

Llama
August 15th, 2016, 10:16 PM
This is what we were taught in cosmetology school:

Above chin length is short
Chin length to shoulder is medium
Below shoulders is long

APL/BSL may not be "wow that's long" but it is definitely long

irodaryne
August 15th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I honestly can't remember what I've answered to this type of question previously so I don't know if my opinion has changed. My opinion also varies depending if it's on LHC or not.

Looking through the viewpoint of what is considered "normal" for my area:
Anything chin or shorter: Short
Between Shoulder and APL: Medium
APL to BSL: Kind of in the rang of long-ish (in that it's an unusual length to see on someone but it's longer is actually rather common)
Waist to TBL: Long but "normal" long. In that it actually see quite a number of folks with hair about this long.
Past TBL: Really long (for the area, at least). It's not a common to see hair this long.

If we're going by LHC standards....
Anything shorter than APL: Short.
APL to Waist: Medium
Hip+: Long

ElfToes
August 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I used to think waist length was long. Now I see waist length as kinda long but for me to really say oooh they have long hair.. probably around hip length

HeartofHaleth
August 17th, 2016, 04:50 PM
IMMHO, age is a factor. On a girl my age, waist or hip is not uncommon. I'd say "really" long doesn't start until BCL-TBLish for us. On the other hand, MBL on a woman in her twenties or thirties is definitely a less common length, and when I see APL on a woman in her fifties or older, I'm struck by how ~•*LONG*•~ it is. Now, as for me...I think I'll have long hair when it's tickling my toes. ;)

QuietVixen
August 18th, 2016, 08:45 AM
I'm back! I forgot to say what I consider long for others. :rolleyes: To me anyone with waist length hair or longer has long hair, though that's probably because most people I see have BSL hair. I was amazed when I found LHC and noticed that waist length hair was so common. Everyone's hair is so gorgeous!

BloomShine18
August 18th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I would start to consider hair long around BSL. There aren't many people where I am (that I see regularly) with really long hair, so to see those lengths and beyond isn't as common.

Bhruninha
August 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I consider long BSL and over

Saige
August 18th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I'd say around hip length is getting pretty long. I agree with HeartofHaleth, though, too. Age definitely contributes as well.

Dark40
August 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM
I agree with Henni. BSL I consider long.

BoopBoop1
August 21st, 2016, 05:23 PM
for me it's long when it's past waist length, and starts being super long when it's at classic length

Becky9679
August 21st, 2016, 10:56 PM
Long hair is what everyone else has and you don't! Seriously, it might have been the influence of LHC but even back when my hair was the length it is on the left pic in my siggy it didn't *feel* especially long to me, yet I'd see people with shorter hair (like waist or something) and think "ooh that's nice and long".

I do remember that I started to receive the "wow your hair is really long" comments when I got to about BSL.

Crystawni
August 21st, 2016, 11:11 PM
Ignoring face framers and fringes/bangs, I consider hair to be long when it can all be pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of the neck. :lol: The rest is just details. I think my mindset comes from years of cutting hair and how things change once the shoulders come into play.

Rhodugune
August 22nd, 2016, 09:57 AM
I saw a little girl today with long hair and thought to myself that it that her hair was pretty long, her hair was about hip length.
The reason that I don't consider hair especially long is as one of my closest friends has calf long hair, so I don't feel that my own hair is especially long either being close to classic.

This is a photo I took of my friend Jennie, LHCname Jelena, a few years back when her hair was about knee length.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/550750_10150866731904011_1340706218_n.jpg?oh=26667 fd946deed2ec7c4a6d52cd5c9ba&oe=584D7F23

Granger Mane
August 22nd, 2016, 10:20 AM
In the real world, I think above shoulder is short, shoulder to BSL med-length, and anything beyond mid-back long.

Stepo_NiNha
August 22nd, 2016, 10:24 AM
There are two worlds in this world: The LHC world and...non-LHC world.

My opinion about this is:

LHC world:
Long: waist
Super long: Classic

Non-LHC Word:
Long: Between Collarbone and APL;
Super Long: Waist

Toffeemonster
August 22nd, 2016, 10:26 AM
I think probably waist length or longer, for me to notice/comment on it being long it would need to be atleast hip. Shoulder-BSL length are probably the most common hair I see on women, and are also pretty easily achievable for most people in a relatively short period of time. So I suppose that's why I think of them as short, I've also grown up with very long hair so it's all about perspective too I suppose.

brookse
September 2nd, 2016, 11:50 AM
For me I'd say long hair begins somewhere between BSL and Waist

Alissalocks
September 3rd, 2016, 11:25 AM
...I think it's really cute how many LHCers reply with, "But my hair doesn't seem long even though it's...." It's like hair dysmorphia. :p

I think of waist length hair as "long," and I'm still about 3" from that goal, although I'd like it to get TBL/very long overall.

HeartofHaleth
September 3rd, 2016, 11:32 AM
I saw a little girl today with long hair and thought to myself that it that her hair was pretty long, her hair was about hip length.
The reason that I don't consider hair especially long is as one of my closest friends has calf long hair, so I don't feel that my own hair is especially long either being close to classic.

This is a photo I took of my friend Jennie, LHCname Jelena, a few years back when her hair was about knee length.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/550750_10150866731904011_1340706218_n.jpg?oh=26667 fd946deed2ec7c4a6d52cd5c9ba&oe=584D7F23

Okay, I know I already replied to this thread, but every time I see this picture I am flabbergasted by the PURE AMAZING that is your friend's hair and I cannot keep silent any longer! :thudpile: :thudpile: :thudpile: :thudpile: :thudpile: So sorry for the interruption, I'll leave now! ;)

QuietVixen
September 4th, 2016, 04:27 AM

LHC world:

Non-LHC Word:

That's an interesting way to think about long hair. I like it! I believe waist or longer is considered long in the area I live in, most women have BSL hair and most men have short hair. I believe long for LHC would probably be classic or longer.

hanne jensen
September 10th, 2016, 03:00 AM
I used to think BSL was long. Now I'm at waist, I still think of my hair as short. What I consider long hair is always longer than what I have.

ArtificiallyRed
September 10th, 2016, 05:29 AM
I used to think BSL was long. Now I'm at waist, I still think of my hair as short. What I consider long hair is always longer than what I have.

I totally know what you mean! I'm at BSL and I still can't get a decent bun or braid, so naturally it's 'short' to me now :laugh:

DweamGoiL
September 10th, 2016, 08:52 AM

LHC world:

Non-LHC Word:

Totally agree with this scale. And regarding having hair dysmorphia on LHC...yes! I have seen people with hair shorter than mine and think to myself how long their hair is without rationalizing that my hair is even longer. I try not to compare anymore and just appreciate other people's hair for its thickness, texture, color, etc.

At work, my hair is by far the longest. There used to be another girl that had WL hair, but it was dyed blonde (at the bottom 3/4 from dark brown). In general, people have a mindset that hair is fairly disposable. In the Summer you go short because long hair is annoying and makes you feel hot and sweaty. In the Winter, you let it grow to keep you warm and the cut it off again in the Summer. I suppose it's a rather inherently primal routine.

DweamGoiL
September 10th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I totally know what you mean! I'm at BSL and I still can't get a decent bun or braid, so naturally it's 'short' to me now :laugh:

With this it also depends on how thick your hair is. The less dense, the less length you need to be able to style it in buns that usually require more length. The thicker it is, the more each loop on that bun will just eat up your length. Just for reference, at MB, I was able to do a cinnabun and at WL, I was able to do a figure 8. Although it seems frustrating, the reward is that by the time you can put up your hair, your bun is nice and plump.

maco
September 14th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I had to look up APL and then went "wait...APL versus BSL? Isn't that like...*reach behind back* oh...I guess that's like 6 inches apart. Ok."

Anyway, waist is long, shoulder length is short, anything on your back is medium, in my mind.

Nightamin
September 15th, 2016, 06:20 AM
As someone who's had waist length hair for the majority of her life I'd say BCL, but now that I'm past that point I have to say classic. I have a particularly (in my opinion) short torso to at 5'4 so that might have something to do with it!

Idreamlong
September 15th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I would say anything BSL downwards is long IMO. However; I do think a lot of it depends on thickness.

Someone can have very thin, stringy waist length hair...but I wouldn't really consider that as long as someone who had thick BSL, or even APL hair. My friends hair is so much thicker than mine and when we were both at APL, hers looked so much longer because of its thickness!

hayheadsbird
September 15th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I would say anything BSL downwards is long IMO. However; I do think a lot of it depends on thickness.

Someone can have very thin, stringy waist length hair...but I wouldn't really consider that as long as someone who had thick BSL, or even APL hair. My friends hair is so much thicker than mine and when we were both at APL, hers looked so much longer because of its thickness!

I'd almost say the same but the other way round! Dd has fine hair, so prob a i/ii , but mines iii. Although our hair is the same length, hers looks longer because it's not so thick! Maybe it's an individual hair thing?

hinabelle
September 15th, 2016, 10:03 AM
In my opinion: BSL is the beginning of long hair, WL+ is very long.
Bewteen BSL and SL is medium, and
SL and shorter is short. This goes for both men and women. If I saw a guy with SL hair, I'd think
"Well, from how society sees it, he has long hair -- because he's a man." But to me, he doesn't
-really- have long hair -- it's medium!

Belle Paix
September 15th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I loved reading some of these comments. It's funny how relative length is on an individual basis. To me, waist is long. Probably because mine is BSL right now, and feels shortish. TBL is really long, anything below FTL is super long...

animetor7
September 16th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I think what I'd consider long starts around waist length to hip length, somewhere in there. Anything shorter feels medium length to me, and anything at or above the shoulders feels short. Super long starts at thigh length for me. keep in mind I've been on this forum for a while, so I think seeing so much long, long hair may skew perception away from popular consensus. :)

Hurven
September 17th, 2016, 07:41 AM
I think around BSL or waist. Last time this question was up, I think I answered that long hair starts around MBL to BSL. But yeah, I changed my mind... ;)

Sometimes I see people with BSL hair and think "Wow! Their hair is so long, I wish mine was that long!", but then I realize that my hair is actually past waist. But still, for some reason, I don't think my hair is long... :confused:

Tahnee
September 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM
To me, waist is pretty long hair. Mine has never been that long.

astrid92
September 27th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I consider BSL - Waist to be long on other people, but on myself I think that waist length is just starting to get long and anything shorter is medium length. I probably think this because I am short and many women around where I live are taller than me.:hmm:

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2016, 05:31 AM
IMHO, on women my age (64+) anything longer than collarbone 'looks' long to me.

When growing it out, BSL 'felt' long on me.

Back in the 60's and 70's when my hair was long, it was @ waist (my sweet spot)...but I really paid no attention to my length.

Now at almost 65, I have reached my longest length @ HIP, and it feels very long to me LOL

I admire the super long lengths of 'classic plus', but I don't expect that length will suit me well for comfort and ease of care as I age and having health issues.

But it is a joy having long hair.....and I love admiring those with greater lengths :crush:

Greenfire
September 28th, 2016, 10:51 PM
You know, this is such a weird question, because it's so relative to what your norms are. I can say that I've mostly considered short hair to be above shoulder, like chin or higher, and medium would be from shoulder to hip, but that's such a huge difference between them that to say someone who's at BSL or at waist doesn't have long hair, isn't quite right... but there's nothing between medium and long that I know of, and I think there should be. I would really say medium should be from shoulder to BSL... and if long is hip or more, then what's BSL to hip?

Cause I don't look at someone with hip or fingertip length and say, oh wow her hair is extra long.. I just say, wow, her hair is long. But then what's mine? It's really not quite medium, and it is in reality probably long hair... but it's just not hair that I'd say, oh wow her hair is long.

So.. medium-long? Yeah, that works for me, my hair is just hitting waist, that's medium-long. So long is hip or below... cause then there's really no denying it, up or down you know that girl's (or guy's really) hair is long!

melesine
September 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I consider APL short, waist medium and hip/TBL long. I've noticed that most other people outside of LHC think anything past the shoulders as long hair though.