PDA

View Full Version : Panicking, lots a of split ends!

miss_donya
August 14th, 2016, 04:06 AM
so today I wore my hair in a ponytail because it was my first day at work and I’m not that great with updo’s yet. I looked at a lock of hair and found some splits and then I realised there were lots of split ends in a certain section of my hair. I haven’t S&ded for a while but I’m panicking a little... I couldn’t look at my hair more since my boss walked in :(
I thought my hair was getting better since its less tangly and I’ve been doing SMT’s and recently started Catnip treatments.
I also use the wet brush on my hair and I’m wondering if anyone who used it had this problem??
my last trim was in june and I’m trying to stretch that

ETA: when I looked at my hair again I couldn’t find that section of hair that was abundant in splits , I did find some split ends but not that scary section that is making me anxious.
ps; excuse my bad grammar in the tittle I wasn’t paying attention

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 04:08 AM
You can't possibly catch all splits with one or two S&D sessions, you have to have multiple and do this regularly - if you have damage. Don't panic! It's normal. If you have a lot of splits, though, like more than half your head, trimming (microtrimming) might be a better solution.

miss_donya
August 14th, 2016, 04:21 AM
You can't possibly catch all splits with one or two S&D sessions, you have to have multiple and do this regularly - if you have damage. Don't panic! It's normal. If you have a lot of splits, though, like more than half your head, trimming (microtrimming) might be a better solution.
Lapushka, always there for the rescue :) I was actually shocked to see all of those split ends, maybe the lighting is better here? I think it was a certain section of my hair that was quite abundant with them,possibly the hair near my neck or on the sides of my face? I’ll have to search and see; its the first time I see these many.

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Lapushka, always there for the rescue :) I was actually shocked to see all of those split ends, maybe the lighting is better here? I think it was a certain section of my hair that was quite abundant with them,possibly the hair near my neck or on the sides of my face? I’ll have to search and see; its the first time I see these many.

Have fun S&D'ing! :D Maybe put it up in a ponytail again, maybe that's the reason you saw them that fast!

miss_donya
August 15th, 2016, 01:35 AM
Have fun S&D'ing! :D Maybe put it up in a ponytail again, maybe that's the reason you saw them that fast!

I tried sectioning my hair and S&Ding, it took almost an hour if not more and I felt like I was becoming cross-eyed. I didn’t even do the right side :disgust:

Anya15
August 15th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Same problem here, haven't s&d-ed in a while and I suddenly see a lot of split ends ! :(

Anje
August 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM
It takes a lot of S&Ding to get them all, so don't freak out about it.

Think of it this way: If you've got 100,000 hairs on your head (a bit of a round number, but roughly average) and only 1% of them have splits (barely enough to notice), you've got 1000 hairs to find and snip. Did you S&D 1000 hairs last time? Probably not, maybe a few hundred. These things take time. Thankfully, hair also takes time to split, and more time as it gets healthier, so you can make progress. Don't get down on yourself because your efforts haven't fixed it yet.

Cg
August 15th, 2016, 01:34 PM
When I started, I had lots of splits too. I never tried to get them all in the beginning. Instead I just went after a few every day until finally they surrendered and ran out. You might find many small sessions less depressing than a few huge ones.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 31st, 2016, 07:15 AM
I set out an hour yesterday to do an S&D and was shocked to see more split ends just below the crown of my hair at the back. I was almost cross-eyed before the end of the hour but I persisted. I have scheduled to do an S&D more frequently. My next due date is 2 weeks from yesterday. Also I found it is best to alternate example if I started the first S&D from myou RHS front the next time I start from the left, another time I start at my crown. In this way I hope to remove as much as I can see with each sitting and avoid a trim. As before I joined TLHC I had a big cut from just below waist to BSL. Had I the knowledge that I recently gained I could have maybe save some length. However I am so happy my hair is softer, smoother and healthier looking

Johannah
August 31st, 2016, 12:43 PM
Oh I have this as well. Especially when I put it up in a ponytail because then you see the split ends you forgot while S&D'ing with your hair down. Guess that's life, I wouldn't freak out because of it! :flower:

Nightshade
August 31st, 2016, 01:31 PM
I used to do this way back when I first came here and my hair was super-damaged. I did S&D, but also did a micro-trim of 1/4 inch a month. Just treat it as a way to relax in a sunbeam and be meditative about it. Progress is slow, but it's progress!

miss_donya
September 11th, 2016, 09:36 AM
It takes a lot of S&Ding to get them all, so don't freak out about it.

Think of it this way: If you've got 100,000 hairs on your head (a bit of a round number, but roughly average) and only 1% of them have splits (barely enough to notice), you've got 1000 hairs to find and snip. Did you S&D 1000 hairs last time? Probably not, maybe a few hundred. These things take time. Thankfully, hair also takes time to split, and more time as it gets healthier, so you can make progress. Don't get down on yourself because your efforts haven't fixed it yet.

When I started, I had lots of splits too. I never tried to get them all in the beginning. Instead I just went after a few every day until finally they surrendered and ran out. You might find many small sessions less depressing than a few huge ones.

I set out an hour yesterday to do an S&D and was shocked to see more split ends just below the crown of my hair at the back. I was almost cross-eyed before the end of the hour but I persisted. I have scheduled to do an S&D more frequently. My next due date is 2 weeks from yesterday. Also I found it is best to alternate example if I started the first S&D from myou RHS front the next time I start from the left, another time I start at my crown. In this way I hope to remove as much as I can see with each sitting and avoid a trim. As before I joined TLHC I had a big cut from just below waist to BSL. Had I the knowledge that I recently gained I could have maybe save some length. However I am so happy my hair is softer, smoother and healthier looking

Oh I have this as well. Especially when I put it up in a ponytail because then you see the split ends you forgot while S&D'ing with your hair down. Guess that's life, I wouldn't freak out because of it! :flower:

I used to do this way back when I first came here and my hair was super-damaged. I did S&D, but also did a micro-trim of 1/4 inch a month. Just treat it as a way to relax in a sunbeam and be meditative about it. Progress is slow, but it's progress!

Thank you all for your comforting words! It truly made me feel better about my hair. I definitely haven’t been S&Ding as frequently as I used to or spent as much time as I used to. Two days after I saw those split I spent a while S&Ding and like Kat I felt cross eyed by the end of it. I’m going to dedicate an hour a week for S&Ding from now on :o

Kajzh
September 11th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Another thing worth mentioning is that one time I S&Ded with dull shears, and the splits came back rapidly. So if you're gnawing at your ends with low-quality scissors, it might be time to invest in quality ones that won't encourage the splits to come back.

animetor7
September 11th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Another thing worth mentioning is that one time I S&Ded with dull shears, and the splits came back rapidly. So if you're gnawing at your ends with low-quality scissors, it might be time to invest in quality ones that won't encourage the splits to come back.

I would extend this checking to all of your tools. Are they hair friendly? Do they have seams that could rip or snag hair? This could be causing your splits. I would also take a look at your habits, do you wear your hair up in the same way every day? Do you split your ponytail in half and pull to "tighten"? Do you wear your hair loose with a purse strap or seatbelt present? These things can all contribute to splits.

Finally wear your hair up most of the time if you aren't already. You mentioned struggling with updos here are some tutorials that are easy and keep hair protected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSaBWbBYug

Finally, a coney serum can help stop splits from forming if you aren't anti-cones.

All of these things can help prevent splits from forming in the first place and that will make the S&D sessions be more effective, because you won't need to do them as often as you won't be forming as many splits!! Sorry for the long post, good luck!! :)

betterhairday
November 8th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Wow! You ladies have so much to look out for, I am thankful I have short hair. I can suggest one product - I trim my own hair with the help of my hubby and I invested in Saki Makoto Student Hairdressing Shears / Scissors Set, might be worth looking at. I live way out in the sticks and my hairdresser only comes once every few months so I trim my own hair in between times.