PDA

View Full Version : BCL is unprofessional; cut it all off.

spirals
August 13th, 2016, 04:41 PM
That's the gist of the responses: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/2qh9kf/is_long_hair_unprofessional/

Yeah....how about NOPE. There are any number of up-dos. The O.P. is a natural curly who feels she needs to straighten it. How about DOUBLE NOPE.

Decoy24601
August 13th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Actually, most of the top comments are very positive: "I have very long hair and I keep it in some kind of updo almost everyday, I never leave it loose. Most people don't really notice how long it is until I actuallt let it down. So it has never been an issue for me." That's the most upvoted response. I'm actually surprised by how positive the top comments in this post are.

spirals
August 13th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Well, true. It's just the fact that there are people out there who'd label us unprofessional that's getting my goat. I mean, just the fact that we have long hair... idk, glad I'm not an attorney! No one in my office even cares what you wear.

Decoy24601
August 13th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Oh, yeah, I get what you mean there :). I've always thought of neat buns and updos like french twists to be very professional. From everything I've heard, imagine is incredibly important when trying to get a job as a lawyer in a lot of places, so the hair thing doesn't surprise me.

HairPlease
August 13th, 2016, 06:44 PM
It's unprofessional in a general sense if it's all out and loose. In my field, if I wore even my MBL hair out and loose it'd cause havoc and chaos all over the place, it'd basically shut the place down. We all have to wear our hair up and back, even the short moppy hair guys slick their hair back. Some areas require hair nets and bonnets! So, from a technical standpoint, long hair can simply be in the way at work. As far as from a dress-code perspective, I guess it can look a little over the top, it depends on the place, the setting. There's nothing more professional looking than a nice bun in my opinion.

vampyyri
August 13th, 2016, 06:58 PM
I'm so glad that my work doesn't have mental breakdowns when I come in the morning air-drying my hair... I'm a graphic designer, so I suppose I'm "allowed" to be "rebellious", but I've never had someone gawk at me for having it down all the time before I started wearing it up. In my whole office building (11 stories, multiple businesses) most professional women have their hair down, granted none have hair past BSL.

Oh the ways that society tries to oppress us women :rolleyes:

Robot Ninja
August 13th, 2016, 07:19 PM

The industries that consider women with LHC-long hair unprofessional would also consider men with hair past the collar unprofessional, so. (Which is actually due to misogyny but is an example of how sexism against women hurts men too.)

Looking "professional" means conforming. Hair past BSL or so does not conform to the norm, so, unprofessional. Naturally curly hair also doesn't conform, since the current fashion is for straight hair or big, styled, artificially created curls. It's as much about how well you fit into corporate culture as how well you do your job. I assume the suits in charge see someone with butt-length hair and immediately think "they look like a hippie, they must have some wacky hippie ideas and that just doesn't fly around here...DO NOT HIRE." Then they pat themselves on the back and give themselves another raise.

vampyyri
August 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
The industries that consider women with LHC-long hair unprofessional would also consider men with hair past the collar unprofessional, so. (Which is actually due to misogyny but is an example of how sexism against women hurts men too.)

That is also true... it's such a shame. :shake:

MidnightMoon
August 13th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I felt a bit sad reading through the comments :(
I work and will continue working in Human Resources, and although I do wear my hair up most days, I have worn it loose...
now Im wondering how unprofessional and immature I might be thought of.
A lot of people do dress more poorly than I do, but still... I have worn a "pusheen" (Facebook's cat) sweater, the tips and part of the rest of my hair are blue/green, my nail polish is usually dark)
I guess in the end it will come down to what company I end up working for, but its hard for me to picture myself being so conscious of what I wear and how I look. I see myself having long hair the rest of my life... *sigh*

Kiiruna
August 13th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I would definitely be unprofessional if I left my hair down at work, but hey, a nurse gotta do what a nurse gotta do! :D In my field (psychiatry) it's not as much about hygiene, but I definitely wouldn't want to risk it that someone grabs my hair or something.

But other than that? Yeah, I think it's dumb to think that someone is being unprofessional just because they have long hair. In most professions long hair isn't a safety hazard either. So what's the big deal? It's not like that long hair would eat our brain or something.

HeartofHaleth
August 13th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Oh, the joys of blue-collar work (and self-employment)! All I have to worry about is my hair getting caught in things that might end in my demise! ;) But in all seriousness, how this kind of backward thinking is still so widely accepted is beyond me.

brickworld13
August 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM
If I leave my hair loose it's a big safety problem. I work in a chemical plant. Lots of hazards of all sorts. Now around the office buildings it's not an issue, but if I need to go out into any one of the units I have to wear fire resistant overalls, safety glasses and goggles, a hard hat, safety toe shoes, ear plugs, leather gloves, and my hair has to be either inside the hat or safely secured INSIDE the overalls. Most of the people I work with didn't know my hair was as long as it was until several months in when they caught me redoing my bun during a safety meeting. I would never wear my hair loose for an interview. I would feel under dressed. I don't even wear my hair loose to go shopping for food. A braid is as loose as it ever gets, and those are so long now to be a hassle too. So my hair is in a bun like 98% of the time.

Llama
August 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM
I can't believe how many people in that thread are saying you have to wear "tight" updos in order to look professional. Why tight? Ouch. Tight buns are not comfortable lol.

Anyways, I have never thought people with long hair were unprofessional based on that alone.
Professionalism is all in how you behave, not how you decided to wear your hair that day.

Entangled
August 13th, 2016, 10:58 PM
I can't believe how many people in that thread are saying you have to wear "tight" updos in order to look professional. Why tight? Ouch. Tight buns are not comfortable lol.

Anyways, I have never thought people with long hair were unprofessional based on that alone.
Professionalism is all in how you behave, not how you decided to wear your hair that day.
It's probably because you often have to make updos tighter when your hair is shorter. I never knew a comfortable, neat bun until past BSL. Also, since the updo trend is "messy" these days, what most people think of as an updo might be inappropriate for work.

Llama
August 13th, 2016, 11:10 PM
It's probably because you often have to make updos tighter when your hair is shorter. I never knew a comfortable, neat bun until past BSL. Also, since the updo trend is "messy" these days, what most people think of as an updo might be inappropriate for work.

I don't think you should have to hurt your scalp in order to be "appropriate" for work. That is very old fashioned. If my doctor has her hair in a loose bun and is otherwise put together I'm not going to think anything of it.

spirals
August 13th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Naturally curly hair also doesn't conform,
I guess that's still going on, then. In the mid-90s when I was working in offices I flat-ironed my hair every single day. It was falling off in 2-inch pieces into the sink daily.

Tosca
August 13th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I think by tight they mean all pulled back with no loose/draped bits. My buns all look tight, but they are very comfy (think ballet buns). I also don't wear buns that tend to sag, as having to redo my hair is annoying.

yahirwaO.o
August 13th, 2016, 11:45 PM

Looking "professional" means conforming. Hair past BSL or so does not conform to the norm, so, unprofessional. Naturally curly hair also doesn't conform, since the current fashion is for straight hair or big, styled, artificially created curls. It's as much about how well you fit into corporate culture as how well you do your job. I assume the suits in charge see someone with butt-length hair and immediately think "they look like a hippie, they must have some wacky hippie ideas and that just doesn't fly around here...DO NOT HIRE." Then they pat themselves on the back and give themselves another raise.

Sexism! Well of course it affects me. I'm a guy with long hair and there is no way I would fit the ideal prototype of looking conservative professional or damn serious without having a super tight bun, which I hate because it hurts and look like a potato... or cutting my hair ( this is not an option )

I think in certain careers and jobs, you must wear your hair up. But "looking professional" is completely subjective and depends on the boss-people's context. I've seen guys in dreadlocks or long ponytails in suit attires "looking good and being professional" working for big companies near my area. Also it depends alot on how you handle yourself in social situations. confidence and your own credibility on your actual abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWwmq_3epV0

This is a good man having a nice opinion for us guys, which of course a lot ladies can identify to in certain aspects! I will choose, for me a career or a type of living more open minded instead of old grumpy cold corporative-company visions and allows me to wear my hair down without any issues like this man!

trolleypup
August 14th, 2016, 12:49 AM
It is all about the conformity, and nothing about whether you can actually do the job.

Oh, the joys of blue-collar work (and self-employment)! All I have to worry about is my hair getting caught in things that might end in my demise! ;) But in all seriousness, how this kind of backward thinking is still so widely accepted is beyond me.
Well, yeah. When I am crawling around under streetcars, the hair is up. Other than that, the focus is "are you doing your damned job?" Distracting? If 45 secounds out of a 44 day long class is intolerable...

I think by tight they mean all pulled back with no loose/draped bits. My buns all look tight, but they are very comfy (think ballet buns). I also don't wear buns that tend to sag, as having to redo my hair is annoying.
Well, they start tight...but I don't always catch them loosening up until the stick falls out.

truepeacenik
August 14th, 2016, 01:36 AM
I've a decade as a reporter, concert production as my side gig, and now five years as a massage therapist, and a braid or updo has always worked. Even when my mornings started with, "Good morning, Governor, thanks for making time for me today."

Conformity has never been my strong suit. I can be somewhat close, but I never hit target, so I stopped trying.

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 03:18 AM
I do agree on some rules regarding hair. In some settings loose hair can be a hazard, and even dangerous to your *own* safety. So yeah. I wouldn't go out and call it "unprofessional", but you have to keep in mind some things. Schools have rules too, and they're there for a reason as well.

Henni
August 14th, 2016, 04:59 AM
In my opinion. For looking professional and convincing, you need to look like you can manage yourself.

Good posture, calm behaviour, neat and tidy clothing, approriate make up (or no make up), and hair that stays where it should, without struggling. Lenght doesn't matter, but after certain lenght depending of hair it is better to put up to look like you manage your hair, not the other way around.

I don't think appearance should matter, but in real world it does and even you can convince other people without paying attention to your looks, it is a lot easier to just go with it. No extra distraction for the actual work.

ETA. I don't think anyone should cut their hair ot change their style completely because of work if they like it otherwise.

I work to live I do not live to work.

Hairkay
August 14th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I do agree on some rules regarding hair. In some settings loose hair can be a hazard, and even dangerous to your *own* safety. So yeah. I wouldn't go out and call it "unprofessional", but you have to keep in mind some things. Schools have rules too, and they're there for a reason as well.

I keep my hair plaited/braided and put up for work. My friend once said she'd love to see me wear it out all the time even for work. I told her that would be crazy. She disagrees. I did tell her that I risk hair being pulled at work. It happened once years ago with a 4 year old when it was plaited but not pinned up. My friend believes that children should be taught not to touch and that is the solution. The problem being that some take a long time to learn that especially those with learning disabilities and there may be some who will never learn that. I had witnessed someone who got their hair violently pulled by an autistic teen with complex needs and it took 3 adults to pry his hands from the woman's hair. That teen also bites. I've actually been trained how to safely remove hands from pulled hair. Thankfully I've never had to use this for myself or anyone else. I also recall that when there's a fight in schools with so much rage hair can be pulled and it may take a while to get things calmed down and sorted out. Mostly you'd try to pre-empt things from escalating to that point. It's harder to grab hair that is kept up and away from temptation.

calmyogi
August 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I find it interesting that quite a few nurses I work with wear their hair down and long, by modern standards anyways. One nurse wears her hair down daily and her hair is BSL. Most of the others it's just passed their shoulders. I think buns look more professional than anything else, even short hairstyles.

A sleek back bun screams grandma or librarian, and whose more serious trust worthy than they are perceived to be? I almost always have my hair in a bun at work because I think it looks better, but I also can't stand my hair down, even in a English braid, if I'm doing anything. I don't understand women that can work with really long hair down to their butts and loose (some of the housekeepers actually do this at my hopsital...?).

I can tolerate a French braid, but I also feel like they are up there with a French twist and are kinda a classic that can look elegant. I personally think unles your doing a desk job, long hair, loose, does look bad.

It use to drive me nuts that the girls at my Starbucks wore their really long hair in ponytails. You know how many drinks I was pulling their hairs off of? Considering one of the girls was a bleach gray and the other a natural blonde.... Im pretty confident those weren't my hairs.

mindwiped
August 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I keep my hair plaited/braided and put up for work. My friend once said she'd love to see me wear it out all the time even for work. I told her that would be crazy. She disagrees. I did tell her that I risk hair being pulled at work. It happened once years ago with a 4 year old when it was plaited but not pinned up. My friend believes that children should be taught not to touch and that is the solution. The problem being that some take a long time to learn that especially those with learning disabilities and there may be some who will never learn that. I had witnessed someone who got their hair violently pulled by an autistic teen with complex needs and it took 3 adults to pry his hands from the woman's hair. That teen also bites. I've actually been trained how to safely remove hands from pulled hair. Thankfully I've never had to use this for myself or anyone else. I also recall that when there's a fight in schools with so much rage hair can be pulled and it may take a while to get things calmed down and sorted out. Mostly you'd try to pre-empt things from escalating to that point. It's harder to grab hair that is kept up and away from temptation.

I have a friend who's out on disability now...an older elementary boy basically tore all the ligaments in her knee due to severe autism and a few other disabilities. The district also had to buy her truly 'unbreakable' glasses. He'd broken all 4 of her pairs, they bought her a pair with elasti-metal frames and he destroyed the lenses, and if you weren't wearing glasses, he try to remove your eyes. She was a special education teacher, so they couldn't refuse to put him in a room with her.

MidnightMoon
August 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I don't think the person who asked and everyone who replied have security/safety in mind when they give their opinion. Of course loose long hair while working with machinery, in health facilities, with food, etc. is "unprofessional", because it can actually interfere with what you are doing and suppose a risk for yourself and whoever works with you. What these people have in mind is an office environment, as it is where the OP mentioned she works at. Also, they think of short styled hair as an asset, another body part you can modify as to show how aware of your looks you are and that you have the economic means to maintain that fancy haircut and highlights (or whatever fancy dye job is popular at the moment). To them, very long hair put up, no matter how intricate or tidy the style is, still is worse than very short styled hair... Because you can actually somewhat see the real length even when it's up, you can see the person didn't spend hours on a salon, every week having it done...it's some sort of accessory or investment, basically...

triumphator!
August 14th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I work in the legal department of my company as a legal assistant while I go to law school at night. The guidance I get is "Don't distract people" when it comes to hair, makeup, and clothes when acting in an official capacity. Which, I think is totally reasonable. I never wear hair toys that are visible, for instance. Spin pins are great because they disappear into the hair, and braided updos held with spin pins got me by just fine in Congress, so. It's possible to have your long hair and be professional too.

Marette
August 14th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I once worked with a girl who had a high-paying receptionist job. She kept her hair very long, curled and perfectly shaped. No split ends, etcetera. She always wore simple, classic clothes of expensive fabric. Everyone thought she looked extremely professional. When I worked in a prestigious accountant's office, I usually wore my hair up in a French twist or in a neatly cut waist-length style. I was very careful to wear the nicest clothes I had - two suits and two silk blouses. There was one man who complained that when I leaned over my computer, my hair would touch the keyboard. It seems to me that you have to just be more careful and set a higher standard for yourself if you want to wear long hair in a professional environment. Has anyone else had this experience?

LadyAdelina
August 14th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I work in insurance, and while most women have the standard length hair, no one has ever looked at me twice for my waist length hair, even when down. Like anything else, different industries will have different standards. To add to the thoughts above, buns will always be a classic, professional style in my book.

Hairkay
August 14th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I have a friend who's out on disability now...an older elementary boy basically tore all the ligaments in her knee due to severe autism and a few other disabilities. The district also had to buy her truly 'unbreakable' glasses. He'd broken all 4 of her pairs, they bought her a pair with elasti-metal frames and he destroyed the lenses, and if you weren't wearing glasses, he try to remove your eyes. She was a special education teacher, so they couldn't refuse to put him in a room with her.

How awful for the teacher. My friend who has trouble understanding is a lawyer. In her work environment everything is in total control. Those who don't keep to set rules can end up losing their jobs or being sued or being in contempt of court and prosecuted.

Decoy24601
August 14th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I find it interesting that quite a few nurses I work with wear their hair down and long, by modern standards anyways. One nurse wears her hair down daily and her hair is BSL. Most of the others it's just passed their shoulders. I think buns look more professional than anything else, even short hairstyles.

A sleek back bun screams grandma or librarian, and whose more serious trust worthy than they are perceived to be? I almost always have my hair in a bun at work because I think it looks better, but I also can't stand my hair down, even in a English braid, if I'm doing anything. I don't understand women that can work with really long hair down to their butts and loose (some of the housekeepers actually do this at my hopsital...?).

I can tolerate a French braid, but I also feel like they are up there with a French twist and are kinda a classic that can look elegant. I personally think unles your doing a desk job, long hair, loose, does look bad.

It use to drive me nuts that the girls at my Starbucks wore their really long hair in ponytails. You know how many drinks I was pulling their hairs off of? Considering one of the girls was a bleach gray and the other a natural blonde.... Im pretty confident those weren't my hairs.

Speaking as someone who has worked in a Starbucks, it's very unlikely that if their hair was in a ponytail that their hair ended up in your drinks. It was probably someone else's. Either that, or they had loose hairs on their clothing that somehow got transferred to your drink. The only time I find hairs at work is if it's from someone who has SL hair, since they're allowed to have it down. I think the rule is that after SL, your hair has to be tied back somehow. As far as I know, a ponytail is the minimum required. Trust me when I say that it's actually really hard to manage to get a hair in someone's drink, and the longer the hair, the harder it is.

I wore my WL length hair in a ponytail at work (Starbucks) and I have hair that makes it very very obvious that it belongs to me and no one else. If I had gotten hairs in customer's drinks, I would have been getting complaints from regulars.

spirals
August 14th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I always thought that if the ponytail fell below shoulder length that was not restrained enough. I guess that's wrong because my coworker's pony goes to waist and no one ever cares. It's not Starbucks, though. Maybe it's up to individual companies. Whenever I am scheduled to work with food or am just covering a break I put it in a bun or a hair net.

papayatree
August 14th, 2016, 09:27 PM
As long as you keep your hair neat, that should be the only thing that matters. Any length is accepteble to be considered professional, as long as you look like you have it under control. As someone with shorter hair than most people here, it may seem like it is easier to pull off, but if I were an employer, and two prospective employees came in, one had a short style that looked very unkept, like most teenaged guys who act like they want long hair, but don't want to grow it out, and the other had Classic length hair down and it looked healthy and well taken care of, and assume they have the exact same resume and are equal in every way but appearance, the longer haired person would get the job over the shorter haired person because of the fact the longer haired person made an effort to look professional at the interview, while the shortie didn't. My mother is a recruiter for a software company, and I learned that from her. Just my honest opinion.

Decoy24601
August 14th, 2016, 09:39 PM
I always thought that if the ponytail fell below shoulder length that was not restrained enough. I guess that's wrong because my coworker's pony goes to waist and no one ever cares. It's not Starbucks, though. Maybe it's up to individual companies. Whenever I am scheduled to work with food or am just covering a break I put it in a bun or a hair net.

Yeah, it completely depends I guess. I personally prefer to have my hair bunned at work, partially because my hair loooves to slide out of ponytails. I worked at a deli and ponytails weren't allowed. You either had to have your hair braided or bunned. I'd worry more about ponytails wagging around and brushing/dipping into food (especially with how long mine is now) than ending up with loose hairs in food. I did actually find a hair at work today (Starbucks, different country though), but it was just on a counter where it looks like it got snagged on something and pulled out. It was blonde, so it definitely wasn't mine.

---

I think there's a difference between long hair and work/health hazards related to it and the "unprofessional" image though, just as a general thought to this thread.

maborosi
August 14th, 2016, 09:59 PM

Depends also on local regulations. My county allows us to have ponytails/braids, but the next county over absolutely will not settle for anything less than a bun in a hair net and are incredibly strict.

On topic...I can wear banded ponys and braids if I want to. I generally don't. I don't really feel it looks professional when I'm trying to run a store with 20-30 people under me, many of whom are older or just difficult to manage. Plus I'm standing alongside people who have been with the company for a long time. I try to dress accordingly. I always go for a braided bun- you can't go wrong. It's elegant and neat, and really keeps the hair restrained.

calmyogi
August 15th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Speaking as someone who has worked in a Starbucks, it's very unlikely that if their hair was in a ponytail that their hair ended up in your drinks. It was probably someone else's. Either that, or they had loose hairs on their clothing that somehow got transferred to your drink. The only time I find hairs at work is if it's from someone who has SL hair, since they're allowed to have it down. I think the rule is that after SL, your hair has to be tied back somehow. As far as I know, a ponytail is the minimum required. Trust me when I say that it's actually really hard to manage to get a hair in someone's drink, and the longer the hair, the harder it is.

I wore my WL length hair in a ponytail at work (Starbucks) and I have hair that makes it very very obvious that it belongs to me and no one else. If I had gotten hairs in customer's drinks, I would have been getting complaints from regulars.
I know it was their hairs because they would have them all over their backs too. I wasn't a customer. I was making drinks and their hairs would be on me too. Otherwise those hairs were magically appearing somewhere. My hair was longer than theirs.

calmyogi
August 15th, 2016, 02:19 AM
They would get on me an then on the drinks. The space is small so we were constantly touching each other.

SwordWomanRiona
August 15th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I'm so glad that my work doesn't have mental breakdowns when I come in the morning air-drying my hair... I'm a graphic designer, so I suppose I'm "allowed" to be "rebellious", but I've never had someone gawk at me for having it down all the time before I started wearing it up. In my whole office building (11 stories, multiple businesses) most professional women have their hair down, granted none have hair past BSL.

Agreed, it's such a shame :doh::/

I've been lucky so far in my Physics-Astrophysics area, luckily. There are no dress codes at our uni (either teachers or PhD/post-Doc students) - I can wear my knee-length hair how I like and in my PhD students office there's another guy who always wears his BSL hair loose or in a low ponytail, with no one commenting on it :) I think that's the way it should be everywhere, barring cases when one has to have their hair more contained for practical or sanitary reasons (working with food, surgery, builders, etc). In that case it isn't about 'professionalism'-related narrow-minded regulations, like Decoy pointed out.

Giant Robot
August 15th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Somehow, in 10 years here, I have never noticed that BCL stands for "butt crack length." Isn't is the same as TBL? Is there a different name for it?

matentur
August 15th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Guy here with 2 years worth of hair who works in finance. For me it is all about looking professional/neat which means my hair is tied back everyday. Growing it out I did my best by definitely caught some flack but never an ultimatum and as soon as a I could I started tying it into a tiny man bun and haven't had any problems since. Sometimes I wish I could wear it loose like female coworkers, but that definitely wouldn't fly and at least I get to have it long. Ironically I have gotten a bunch of compliments since starting to wear a ponytail instead of a bun the last couple weeks, and I definitely consider that less professional.

spirals
August 15th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Somehow, in 10 years here, I have never noticed that BCL stands for "butt crack length." Isn't is the same as TBL? Is there a different name for it?

BCL is right at the..uh..beginning of the crack, just below hip. :oops: The tailbone is further down, in between the cheeks. This explanation is akward. :bigeyes: :laugh:

Katem
August 15th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I think some of you may be biased, since you have long hair. I have professional experience, and in my opinion I think... BCL hair should totally be allowed! I can't see how it would be unprofessional (unless you're using your lovely braids to slap people, which may lower productivity ahah). super long hair is a unique and beautiful thing and you shouldn't be forced to cut it off!

trolleypup
August 15th, 2016, 08:36 PM
I've been lucky so far in my Physics-Astrophysics area, luckily. There are no dress codes at our uni (either teachers or PhD/post-Doc students) - I can wear my knee-length hair how I like and in my PhD students office there's another guy who always wears his BSL hair loose or in a low ponytail, with no one commenting on it :) I think that's the way it should be everywhere, barring cases when one has to have their hair more contained for practical or sanitary reasons (working with food, surgery, builders, etc). In that case it isn't about 'professionalism'-related narrow-minded regulations, like Decoy pointed out.[/COLOR]

I think some of you may be biased, since you have long hair. I have professional experience, and in my opinion I think... BCL hair should totally be allowed! I can't see how it would be unprofessional (unless you're using your lovely braids to slap people, which may lower productivity ahah). super long hair is a unique and beautiful thing and you shouldn't be forced to cut it off!
SWR: Exactly! Do you do the job? Yes! Hair is irrelevant, in fact all that appearance based judginess is irrelevant!

And...distracting? Really? Whose damned problem is that? The person who can't do their job because there is hair longer than X nearby is the one who needs to be shown the door!

OK, Don't slap people with your hands either!

Marette
August 15th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I totally agree! I always wanted to see if I could get away with a Gibson girl but didn't have the nerve.

spirals
August 15th, 2016, 09:04 PM
I totally agree! I always wanted to see if I could get away with a Gibson girl but didn't have the nerve.

Oh, style idea for my new job!

turtlelover
August 15th, 2016, 09:40 PM
I am so glad I work with a bunch of musicians, with absolutely NO dress code!

Entangled
August 16th, 2016, 12:14 AM

Your tailbone usually ends a bit lower than BCL, around an inch for me. I just skip that milestone and wait for tailbone. It sounds less indecent.

Katem
August 16th, 2016, 12:43 AM
SWR: Exactly! Do you do the job? Yes! Hair is irrelevant, in fact all that appearance based judginess is irrelevant!

And...distracting? Really? Whose damned problem is that? The person who can't do their job because there is hair longer than X nearby is the one who needs to be shown the door!

OK, Don't slap people with your hands either!

yeah that's probably not great either!

spirals
August 16th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Your tailbone usually ends a bit lower than BCL, around an inch for me. I just skip that milestone and wait for tailbone. It sounds less indecent.

Yeah, but BCL amuses me no end. Kind of like how I like using certain words because I find them funny, like eyeball, or eyehole, for that matter (made that one up to describe how a cluster headache feels--like a blunt object shoved into my eyehole; got to have a sense of humor in suffering). I also like to use deers for plural deer. Yes, I'm a complete Word Nerd.

Cg
August 18th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I am so glad I work with a bunch of musicians, with absolutely NO dress code!

Isn't it wonderful that we can find work situations to suit our preferences for hair styles? I'm quite comfortable to work with people who always look polished and professional, but that clearly isn't for everyone.

spirals
August 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Isn't it wonderful that we can find work situations to suit our preferences for hair styles? I'm quite comfortable to work with people who always look polished and professional, but that clearly isn't for everyone.

I like a certain standard at the office, too. The one I'm starting at accepts flipflops, messy buns, and ripped tank tops (albeit under another shirt, but still--I don't want to see lace trim just hanging there). I'll be a bit overdressed but I have to be true to me.

Cg
August 18th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I like a certain standard at the office, too. The one I'm starting at accepts flipflops, messy buns, and ripped tank tops (albeit under another shirt, but still--I don't want to see lace trim just hanging there). I'll be a bit overdressed but I have to be true to me.

Perhaps you'll raise the standard. Certainly you'll raise the average. Have fun with your new job!