PDA

View Full Version : Air drying and wet styling.

Pamberpestana
August 13th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I'd like to know how do you all like to have your hair when it dries? Do you loosely braid it? Comb/brush it and leave it down? Scrunch it? Leave it in a turbie/towel? Does it differ from day to day?

I like to scrunch mine because I love the wave/curl/volume I get. If I were to just comb/brush it, it would make my hair flat everywhere except the hair framing my face as those hairs dry first and end up being curly.
If any of you like to wet set your hair, what do you do? Finger waves? Braids? Pin curls?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, maybe I should have searched before posting this...

Decoy24601
August 13th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I don't braid my hair while it's wet because it won't ever dry that way. I sometimes braid it when it's still a little damp, but almost dry. I either air dry loose or scrunch my hair (with or without styling products) and plop my hair in a t-shirt. It depends on if I want to try and coax out some waves that day.

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I'd like to know how do you all like to have your hair when it dries? Do you loosely braid it? Comb/brush it and leave it down? Scrunch it? Leave it in a turbie/towel? Does it differ from day to day?

I like to scrunch mine because I love the wave/curl/volume I get. If I were to just comb/brush it, it would make my hair flat everywhere except the hair framing my face as those hairs dry first and end up being curly.
If any of you like to wet set your hair, what do you do? Finger waves? Braids? Pin curls?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, maybe I should have searched before posting this...

After the wash it gets put into a t-shirt for 30-45 min. then, I comb (in two sections), and I do the LOC method for styling, then I clip it up with two small claw clips (one on each side) and then I fold the lengths into a perma-scrunch and clip it up with a bigger claw clip. This is how it airdries for 2 to 4H, then after that the diffuser is run through for about 5 min. Done!

meteor
August 13th, 2016, 04:32 PM
For me, it's all about speeding up the drying time as much as possible but without using any heat.

I actually condition the length at the same time as I'm towel-drying the roots/scalp: I wrap a towel around my scalp only (after shampooing) and saturate length with conditioner and put a plastic bag over it. 10-20 min later I take off the plastic bag and rinse only the length. The scalp/root area is getting pretty dry by then. :)
After that, since my length is too heavy for turban-drying, I just wrap the length in a T-shirt and hang it, like a tube/snake, around my neck/shoulders. After 10 minutes or so, I take it down and air-dry it loose next to a fan or heater for a few hours.

And if I need to run somewhere while the hair is still wet, I just put in a braided bun. Of course, it doesn't really dry in this state, but I'll take it down later to air-dry, when I have some down time. ;)

I detangle only when the hair is almost completely dry, since many tangles that happen when my hair is wet tend to disappear somehow by then.

wispe
August 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I mostly twist it in a cotton shirt for a half hour and then let it down to add oil or leave-in and air dry the rest of the way. The first night after a wash I wear it loose to bed, and all nights thereafter I braid it loosely. Since I most often wear my hair down the first few days after a wash and wear it up once my hair has a little more grip, this works well for me. I like not having a complicated routine as I can't really get lazy and skip steps here.

If I want curls, I do stand-up pin curls on damp hair, cover with a scarf, and sleep in them. They stay a little longer for me if I use a tiny bit of mousse before I roll them up, but I don't like even slightly crunchy hair so I don't always. If I wash my hair in the morning but want next-day waves, I do two french rope braids twisted into a bun at the nape of my neck, which I can go out in for the day, sleep on, and take down the next day. I like pin curls best because I don't get spaghetti ends, though.

littlestarface
August 13th, 2016, 06:28 PM
I plop it in a tshirt or turbie towel and then when I go to sleep I take it down and let it air dry over my pillow all night. If i'm styling my hair with leave ins and such then after the tshirt part I sit in my chair and just let it air dry sitting, if I have to get up and cook it goes back in a tshirt til I can sit down again and let it dry.

Simsy
August 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I have an old square of muslin cloth that I use. Once I'm out of the shower and have squeezed the extra water out, I roll the length into the side of the cloth then wrap the roll and the remaining cloth around my head for a while (depends on what I'm doing, up to 1/2 an hour). Once the cloth is damp/wet; I pull it down, finger comb and oil, and leave it to dry loose.

I find my curls set for longer if I can let them dry completely while loose. I can get 2-3 days out of the curl with near constant buns or braids this way. Otherwise they tend to start falling out of braid waves or bun waves within a day or so of being washed.

Pamberpestana
August 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Wow everyone's routine is so unique it's amazing!!! I wonder how much longer my hair will grow before I chance my routine. I just hit shoulder length (I think)

Anya15
August 14th, 2016, 03:03 AM
I just detangle when I'm conditioning and after that it's left to air dry. Once it's dry I finger comb.

Before the air drying it spends 10 min wrapped in a T shirt turban. I used to plop for an hour but I have found that I don't always have that kind of time. I usually have to just 'wash and go'.

Of course, my hair ends up being pretty frizzy at the end of it but I blame that on my hair type. I've given up fighting the frizz.

Hairkay
August 14th, 2016, 03:58 AM
After a few minutes in a t-shirt I take the hair out I leave it to finish air drying as it is in plaits/braids. Once a week I'll detangle or re/plait/braid or even flat twist it whilst it's still damp. On the some summer days I don't bother with the t-shirt. I let it drip dry as I style it or just let the bush out.

sanguinebread
August 15th, 2016, 10:44 PM
I usually plop in a T shirt for an hour to let the curls start drying without gravity stretching them out. Then I air dry loose -- it takes hours to dry even like that, so I can't really do anything else with it. Including leave the house, so I tend to wash at night and dry it while I sleep a lot.

I just bought a couple types of Curly Girl approved styling gels, and I'm intending to start experimenting my next wash.