PDA

View Full Version : Using tangle teezer as a "shower brush"?

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Or at least use it in the shower to scrub somehow. I've noticed I've been getting more falling white flakes lately and have heard that using a shampoo brush helps with that. I've been using tea tree oil and it helps a bit but still feels itchy and didn't get rid of all of the gunk. My length hates the tangle teezer so I was thinking of using it on my scalp. What are your opinions everyone? :grouphug:

Obsidian
August 13th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I bet it would work really well, I'll have to try it too.

PixieP
August 13th, 2016, 01:27 PM
There is a special tangle teezer ment to be used on wet hair! :)

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Ooo let me know how it goes and how you did it! And I love your signature by the way :o

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 01:28 PM
There is a special tangle teezer ment to be used on wet hair! :)

Yes I saw that at Walmart once but currently just have the normal pink and blue one to use.

CarrotTop
August 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I've tried this before, and it didn't work all that well for me. I noticed that while the longer bristles were getting to my scalp, the shorter ones weren't. It just kind of annoyed me. You might like it better than me, though, so I'd give it a try! :)

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 02:38 PM
If it's itchy... I doubt the brush is going to help much. Sounds to me like you might need something medicated for your scalp. Didn't you write about this issue before? I'm concerned that it's still not resolved. This shouldn't be lasting that long. If I wait too long to treat my SD (not saying it is that at all) then my hair starts to fall out more - it's not worth it!

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I've tried this before, and it didn't work all that well for me. I noticed that while the longer bristles were getting to my scalp, the shorter ones weren't. It just kind of annoyed me. You might like it better than me, though, so I'd give it a try! :)

Well I was wondering how I could do this correctly myself. I've never really used a brush in the shower before, and I'm kind of worried about damage. Maybe CWCing would be a good approach? I'm not sure.

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 02:45 PM
If it's itchy... I doubt the brush is going to help much. Sounds to me like you might need something medicated for your scalp. Didn't you write about this issue before? I'm concerned that it's still not resolved. This shouldn't be lasting that long. If I wait too long to treat my SD (not saying it is that at all) then my hair starts to fall out more - it's not worth it!

Yeah that's very true. It just goes away and comes back randomly. It stays away mostly when I prepoo before washing but I have not done that in a while. I guess I'll go to the doctor and see if they could help me. :shrug: I also haven't clarified in a while.. As in a month or so, maybe that would help :)

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Yeah that's very true. It just goes away and comes back randomly. It stays away mostly when I prepoo before washing but I have not done that in a while. I guess I'll go to the doctor and see if they could help me. :shrug: I also haven't clarified in a while.. As in a month or so, maybe that would help :)

My SD comes and goes sometimes too. I had a small bout of it last week. Thank goodness it wasn't so bad that I needed to bust out the Nizoral (just one tiny spot that had quite a big flake on it, but it wasn't red and the itch went as the scale was removed). So... I'd definitely get it checked out when it's bad. If it's bad right now, don't go doing stuff to it, before having it looked at. Have you tried the OTC Nizoral (1%). Might be that's enough to help you. Do stick with it until it's all gone.

Nadine <3
August 13th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I've tried it before. It felt like it was just roughing up and tangling my hair so I stopped.

sallyd
August 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Hello all. It's my first post on LHC, though I have been lurking for an embarrassingly long time..... I know this is an old thread, but I hope it's OK to ask a question here.

Lately I've been reading all the very helpful threads that are here on Tangle Teezers. I'd like to buy one, specifically to spread conditioner through my hair and to massage my scalp during CO washes. I've tried my daughter's, and that seems to go well for me. It's an aqua splash.

However, the aqua splash (the big TT with the hole in the middle) seems to be being replaced at the moment by a TT that looks a lot more like a "normal" hairbrush, and is called The Wet Detangler. I am wondering if anybody's bought one of these yet, and how they are getting on?

What I am very interested to know is whether there's a problem with water getting stuck in the body. Looking at the pictures, it seems like it's a two-part moulding with a seam between the bits. I'm concerned that unless this seam is sealed, we'll have the hollow chamber that fills with water. I know that in the original TT, users managed to pop apart the sections and drain and dry both pieces, though from looking at the TT website it appears that this was not what the manufacturer envisaged, and I can't find any advice on emptying water inside any of the brushes apart from something a bit weedy about shaking the brush to empty it. Seems to me that that would be unlikely to work. So I'm concerned that TT may not have considered the issue of trapped water, and that they may have designed themselves a lemon here.

On one level it doesn't matter, because I'll buy it from Amazon, so that I can return it if I have a problem, but if anyone out there has relevant experience, I'd love to know before buying. If you tell me it's just a fishtank with bristles and a handle, I think I'll find myself one of the remaining stock of older model aqua splashes :)

Thanks for reading!

lapushka
August 26th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Hi & welcome to the forum. :waving:

There is a difference between a TT and a wet brush (if that's the brush you're talking about). For me the wet brush is a sure winner on wet hair. I use my TT on dry hair, to detangle before the wash, which is important too.

There is nothing wrong but be sure to get a wet brush. Over here in Belgium we can get neat dupes for the brush (and I have one, 1.49 euro at Action discount store (no online store)). So that is what I use on wet hair.

Wait until other voices chime in, though! :)

sallyd
August 27th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Thanks Lapushka! It's not the generic wet brush I'm thinking of, but rather the recently-released Tangle Teezer brand replacement for the aqua splash. Not sure if I am allowed to post a url here, so that you can see the product details, let me have a go....

https://www.tangleteezer.com/all-brushes/detangling/the-wet-detangler.html

can you see that OK? I think it's maybe only been released in the UK so far, so it may be that you haven't come across it before.

It would seem from the pictures to have the same sort of bristle configuration as the earlier models, but it might be useful to have the handle.

If I'm anywhere near a Boots next week I will see if I can examine one in the flesh and give it a poke to determine how watertight it seems. I'm OK with *not* watertight, as long as it is easy to disassemble or otherwise empty.

leayellena
August 27th, 2018, 01:05 AM
I checked out the miracle, wonderful tralalala tangle teezer that doesn´t "do the sensible thing and teeze my tangles" (quoting a friend) and I saw how fine, breakable and fragile those bristles are. like when am I supposed to brush my hair with that?! tight after the shower when my hair is freshly coated in conditioner? LOL

sallyd
August 27th, 2018, 01:46 AM
Hi there!

My idea was to use it, as I've been using my daughter's aqua splash TT, to comb conditioner through my hair and massage my scalp during CO washes. Not sure if that's what it's specifically designed for, but that's what I'd do with it. I'd also, as you mention, give my hair the quick once-over with the brush after washing, just to line the strands up so it doesn't dry all strange.

Joules
August 27th, 2018, 02:08 AM
I checked out the miracle, wonderful tralalala tangle teezer that doesn´t "do the sensible thing and teeze my tangles" (quoting a friend) and I saw how fine, breakable and fragile those bristles are. like when am I supposed to brush my hair with that?! tight after the shower when my hair is freshly coated in conditioner? LOL

Those bristles are very flexible, I don't think it's even possible to break them. I've broken more brushes than I like to admit throughout my life, but TTs weren't among them. I think it's best to actually try the brush before making any sort of judgements.

sallyd, the only difference between TTs for shower use and regular ones is that the first type is designed to prevent water getting inside the brush and cause mold. Other than that, all of them can be used on wet hair, with conditioner, etc. I use a regular salon elite TT for this exact purpose, and I like it a lot.

lapushka
August 27th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Thanks Lapushka! It's not the generic wet brush I'm thinking of, but rather the recently-released Tangle Teezer brand replacement for the aqua splash. Not sure if I am allowed to post a url here, so that you can see the product details, let me have a go....

https://www.tangleteezer.com/all-brushes/detangling/the-wet-detangler.html

can you see that OK? I think it's maybe only been released in the UK so far, so it may be that you haven't come across it before.

It would seem from the pictures to have the same sort of bristle configuration as the earlier models, but it might be useful to have the handle.

If I'm anywhere near a Boots next week I will see if I can examine one in the flesh and give it a poke to determine how watertight it seems. I'm OK with *not* watertight, as long as it is easy to disassemble or otherwise empty.

That brush looks awesome! It has a proper handle!!! OMG. I am adding it on my list of things to get once my TT (without a handle) is totally destroyed. Might take me a while (+ I have dupes to run through).

I would not doubt it one bit, and get it. :) :flower:

ETA: I don't know how "waterproof" it is, though! :)

sallyd
August 28th, 2018, 03:29 AM
Thanks to you Lapushka and to Joules for your replies.

Yes, it does look good, doesn't it? I think I will order one, and feed back to this thread, when I've had a chance to road test it in wet conditions.

It's a very recently released item, so I'm sure it will make its way over to European and US markets in due course, as the other ones have done.

I'll let you know how I get on....

queenbee1
August 28th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Hi there!

My idea was to use it, as I've been using my daughter's aqua splash TT, to comb conditioner through my hair and massage my scalp during CO washes. Not sure if that's what it's specifically designed for, but that's what I'd do with it. I'd also, as you mention, give my hair the quick once-over with the brush after washing, just to line the strands up so it doesn't dry all strange.
I do this with my TT dupe. Works well for me

sallyd
August 28th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Thanks, good to know. The Wet Detangler has now made it into my Amazon basket... :)

illicitlizard
August 29th, 2018, 09:13 PM
YES omg I don't have much hair at the moment, but I wanted to get a TT because I can't for the life of me find the one I got years ago, and the BB+Nylon brush I have wasn't getting to my scalp once I got 3+inches hair. Ended up with the wet detangler TT because OMG IT HAS A HANDLE which is the one thing I always wished TTs had. Have been using it for a month or so now and it's awesome. I always brush my hair in the shower and I've not noticed any water collecting inside the brush (the seam concerned me at first too). It's great and I really hope it keeps working well for me when my hair grows long.

sallyd
August 30th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Thanks for that illicitlizard. Yes I'll be keeping a close watch on the water-collection issue. Interesting to know that the Wet Detangler is available outside the UK already - or did you buy it here?

illicitlizard
August 30th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Thanks for that illicitlizard. Yes I'll be keeping a close watch on the water-collection issue. Interesting to know that the Wet Detangler is available outside the UK already - or did you buy it here?

Oh no I bought it in Australia. Was kinda sad I couldn't get it shipped from the official UK website because they had millenial pink which no Aus stockists carried... I'm surprised too tbh, we're usually not among the first to get things.

Brittny
August 30th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Hello!
My personal experience with a 'tangle teezer' in the shower is a very positive one! I use the Michele Mercier detangling hair brush from Walmart, and I've never bought a different brush since! As someone with waist length hair and prone to neck dreads/knots, it is much better to detangle using those kinds of brushes in the shower. I slather my hair in conditioner with a lot of slip then brush gently. It may take awhile, but the water from the shower and conditioner make the process go by faster. :o

sallyd
August 30th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Yes I know those neck impromptu dreads, Brittny.... especially when I get up in the morning, if my hair has staged an escape attempt from its bun during the night. It takes either super-careful dry detangling with a wide-tooth comb, or the wet-brush-and-conditioner method. I have fine waist-length hair.

Looking forward to the arrival of my Wet Detangler. Yes, illicitlizard, I have gone for the millennial pink. Such a retro look, reminds me of the brushes on my Mum's dressing table when I was a wee girlie!

sallyd
September 3rd, 2018, 09:44 AM
OK I have given my Tangle Teezer Wet Detangler a trial run. It was sort of a ducking stool type trial, because to start with I held it under in a bowl of water, and waited for any tell-tale bubbles. I thought this would be a good test to discover whether the apparently two-part moulding had been properly watertight-sealed. I have to report that there were 0 bubbles, so yes, first test passed.

Then I washed my hair, CO, and used the brush to distribute conditioner and massage my scalp. So there was plenty of underwater action. The TT worked nicely - I do particularly appreciate the handle, and find it easier to hold than the earlier Aqua Splash. After I'd finished in the shower, I gave the TT a good shake to assess whether any water had found its way in. Again, so far, no problems.

My daughter then washed her hair, and although she didn't use it under the shower, she did brush her sopping wet hair. Once again, the Wet Detangler came through that well.

So I am keeping it, but *will* continue to watch out for leaking, because if there were to be a problem, I don't see how it could be solved, other than by drilling holes or something - the two parts of the moulding are securely stuck together, and I don't think they could be persuaded to come apart as with the original TT.

It may of course be that I've got lucky, and that all other TT Wet Detanglers let in water, but for now, I'm declaring myself satisfied.

sallyd
September 3rd, 2018, 09:51 AM
P.S. The colour is wonderful. I got Millennium Pink, which is a pale pearlescent blush that sent this child of the 'fifties straight back to the mass of little dishes, compacts, brushes, combs and mirrors on my Mum's and my Gran's dressing tables!

Oh I forgot one other important point: it says on the box that you can't use this model with heat. So if you wanted to blow-dry, you'd need to use a different brush.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2018, 12:07 PM
Oh I forgot one other important point: it says on the box that you can't use this model with heat. So if you wanted to blow-dry, you'd need to use a different brush.

I think you'd have to have the blow dryer on super hot for anything to happen, though.

Cool/warmish is probably fine, but don't quote me on that. ;)

esfand
September 3rd, 2018, 03:43 PM
I use it as a shower brush all the time. It really helps!

illicitlizard
September 4th, 2018, 04:22 AM
I think you'd have to have the blow dryer on super hot for anything to happen, though.

Cool/warmish is probably fine, but don't quote me on that. ;)

Maybe it'd be fine but I used it in a particularly hot shower and some of the bristles bent slightly so I'd probably steer clear of using actual heat tools. Warm hairdryer may be fine though I guess it depends what warm is on your particular hairdryer.

lapushka
September 4th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Maybe it'd be fine but I used it in a particularly hot shower and some of the bristles bent slightly so I'd probably steer clear of using actual heat tools. Warm hairdryer may be fine though I guess it depends what warm is on your particular hairdryer.

Warm for me is slightly above cool (but not burning on the hands if held on them for a long time), so it's... probably OK.

I always recommend people blow dry not hotter than that burning sensation on the hand (because then it will be damaging for hair as well).