PDA

View Full Version : Oils to use with Dyed Hair

Lilith91
August 13th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I want to use oils to stimulate growth and to make my hair soften and stronger. I've tried using coconut oil, but it strips much of the chemical red dye from my hair, which I want to avoid. What oils can be used without stripping hair dye (especially red dye), and are also cheap?

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Maybe castor oil, but that is a thick oil you often can't get off of your roots with one wash.

Normally oils don't strip dye; at least I've never heard of such a thing. Could it be something else you're using? Like your shampoo?

Silverbleed
August 13th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I didn't know oil could strip dye from hair, it never happened to me. SHouldn't it do the opposite? I've always been positive of jojoba oil and almond oil myself, but there's tons of different oils you could try. Olive oil is also one I really like and cheap.

Nadine <3
August 13th, 2016, 03:02 PM
My hair is dyed with red manic panic, and all the oils I've used since have pulled color out. Coconut, olive, cocoa butter, almond, avacodo...

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM
My hair is dyed with red manic panic, and all the oils I've used since have pulled color out. Coconut, olive, cocoa butter, almond, avacodo...

Yeah, but how are you sure it's the oil, and not just the regular progression of the dye fading, because MP fades on its own.

Lilith91
August 13th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I know it's the oil because I've dyed my hair for a few years, always using the same shampoo and conditioner, and the dye has only ever washed out to such an extreme after using the oil. The water was all pink!

Isilme
August 13th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Oils and conditioners can definitely fade dyes, I have heard of it being used to fade a dye job gone to dark. Especially red dyes are known for fading fast, sorry, don't have any advice just wanted to let you know it's not all that uncommon. Have you looked into henna?

Horrorpops
August 14th, 2016, 06:33 AM
My only suggestion would be perhaps save the oiling until right before you re-dye your hair. Especially if you do a touch up every 4 weeks or so. In the meantime I guess SMT/moisturising as normal with colour protective conditioner is best. That way whatever dye gets extracted in the process won't be such an issue as piling on freshly dyed hair. You could even do an intensive overnight or two day oil right before the next time you dye, at least then you get some of the benefits without the fading.

I haven't dyed my hair in ages but I never found one that didn't increase dye wash out... Sorry! :)

Lilith91
August 14th, 2016, 06:38 AM
My only suggestion would be perhaps save the oiling until right before you re-dye your hair. Especially if you do a touch up every 4 weeks or so. In the meantime I guess SMT/moisturising as normal with colour protective conditioner is best. That way whatever dye gets extracted in the process won't be such an issue as piling on freshly dyed hair. You could even do an intensive overnight or two day oil right before the next time you dye, at least then you get some of the benefits without the fading.

I haven't dyed my hair in ages but I never found one that didn't increase dye wash out... Sorry! :)

Thanks! I'm a newbie here- do you mind letting me know what SMT stands for?

Also, your hair pics in your signature are to die for!

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Here you go:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Vanilla
August 14th, 2016, 08:02 AM
I just dyed my ends pink and purple, and so far, mineral oil has not seemed to pull color out of my hair. Coconut oil defintely does, and I've noticed that I get some pink runoff when I use coconut oil on my hair. Hope that helps!

Lippytoes
August 14th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Huh, so maybe coconut oiling my pink dip-dyed ends might be contributing to the dye fading quicker! I thought oiling would be a good idea since the dyed ends are drier and more tangly. But so apparently I should be using some other form of moisturising? What do you suggest for someone who washes their hair only about every 6-7 days?

Lilith91
August 14th, 2016, 06:49 PM
I just dyed my ends pink and purple, and so far, mineral oil has not seemed to pull color out of my hair. Coconut oil defintely does, and I've noticed that I get some pink runoff when I use coconut oil on my hair. Hope that helps!

Thanks! What kind of mineral oil do you use?

Vanilla
August 14th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks! What kind of mineral oil do you use?

I use either Johnson's baby oil (light mineral oil) or plain mineral oil that is sold as a laxative (heavy mineral oil). I only use mineral oil on damp hair. Most of the time, I use the baby oil, but if my hair is really straw-like, I will use a very small amount of the heavier stuff.

The heavier mineral oil does tend to make my hair quite sticky until I wash it out. But nothing else seems to work as well when my hair feels extremely dry.

I only use mineral oil on my length from the collarbone down.

Lilith91
August 14th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I use either Johnson's baby oil (light mineral oil) or plain mineral oil that is sold as a laxative (heavy mineral oil). I only use mineral oil on damp hair. Most of the time, I use the baby oil, but if my hair is really straw-like, I will use a very small amount of the heavier stuff.

The heavier mineral oil does tend to make my hair quite sticky until I wash it out. But nothing else seems to work as well when my hair feels extremely dry.

I only use mineral oil on my length from the collarbone down.

Thanks for the tip! Do you wash it out afterwards, and for about how long to you leave it in?

Horrorpops
August 15th, 2016, 08:58 AM

It looks like lapushka already has you covered but basically it's a moisturising treatment comprising of conditioner, honey and aloe vera gel. I just wanted to elaborate that I'd try the mix of honey and aloe with some colour-protective conditioner to try and minimise the fading. And not soak for more than 30mins (apparently benefits reduce after then!) I normally leave out the aloe vera gel in mine but I think the recipe lapushka linked is super solid so I always recommend trying the original first before altering it. :o but for me honey and conditioner produces a similar effect and is more convenient! Hope this helped! :)

Also thank you so much for the kind compliment :o I caught my hair on a good day haha! Good luck with everything!

Nadine <3
August 15th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but how are you sure it's the oil, and not just the regular progression of the dye fading, because MP fades on its own.

Yes, it does fade on its own, but it increases when I use oils. Not so much a small amount used as a leave in, but when I add oil to a conditioner and let it soak the red run off is insane. Turns the inside of my shower cap pink. It doesn't do that when I use just plain conditioner.

Vanilla
August 15th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the tip! Do you wash it out afterwards, and for about how long to you leave it in?

I use both as a leave in until I wash. I wash 2-3 times a week. The longest time that the heavier stuff stays in my hair is about 48 hours.