PDA

View Full Version : A struggle between curly/wavy hair vs. length

DizzyGinger
August 12th, 2016, 08:32 AM
I'm feeling rather torn about my hair at the moment. Waist/hip has been my goal for a year. I'm on my way to APL now. I've been growing out my layers and they're almost gone. But here's the issue...I recently did the hair typing test, learned more about wavy hair, and I realized I'm not 1c like I thought. My hair is 2c. I'm excited about it. But...I think I could even reach 3a if I had a haircut specifically for wavy/curly hair.

Which would equal a lot of layers probably. And I don't like the look of very long hair with too much layering because it gets that odd look where the underneath part looks rather thin and misplaced. If that makes sense.

It feels like I'm having to choose whether I care more about curlier hair, or longer length. I'm really torn. Anyone been in a similar conundrum? Would love to hear your thoughts :)

pailin
August 12th, 2016, 08:41 AM
There are some 2c's here who layer their hair- maybe you need to see some of their pictures. Lapushka comes to mind (although I think her albums are private), and she cuts hers at home. But I do think it depends upon your priorities. And maybe just how long you plan to grow (ie will you be wearing it down a lot or no).
Check out the wavy and wurly thread.

CurlyBrunette
August 12th, 2016, 08:49 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, I think. My hair is almost waist length and type 3a/b. I was growing out my layers and it seemed to lose a lot of its curl so I gave in and cut some very long layers in the back. Well, I'm not happy I did it because when I have layers in the back it makes my hemline look thinner. Not scraggly thin, but thin to me that when I braid it there are little hairs sticking out everywhere. Now I am in the process of getting rid of that layer and just trimming the ends, even if I get more curl with the layers. To me I rather have the length without the layers because it looks better, I can wear more styles without pieces of hair sticking out everywhere and it is still curly. When this happens if I add more moisture it will curl better too.

I don't know if that helped you in any way but I hope it did! Your hair is beautiful and I'm sure it will look fabulous no matter what you do. I love your color too, beautiful!

Arctic
August 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
This probably culminates the difference between LHC and Naturally Curly forums. I think in many cases one needs to choose one or the other. We do have members with amazing curls and very long hair, like quixii, but for many their waves and culrs would flatten and straighten with that much length plus updos.

Anya15
August 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I am a 2c and have a lot of layers but I'm trying to grow them out, so I'd be of no help :p

Personally I like a few long layers in my hair but too many doesn't look that good.

lapushka
August 12th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I'm feeling rather torn about my hair at the moment. Waist/hip has been my goal for a year. I'm on my way to APL now. I've been growing out my layers and they're almost gone. But here's the issue...I recently did the hair typing test, learned more about wavy hair, and I realized I'm not 1c like I thought. My hair is 2c. I'm excited about it. But...I think I could even reach 3a if I had a haircut specifically for wavy/curly hair.

Which would equal a lot of layers probably. And I don't like the look of very long hair with too much layering because it gets that odd look where the underneath part looks rather thin and misplaced. If that makes sense.

It feels like I'm having to choose whether I care more about curlier hair, or longer length. I'm really torn. Anyone been in a similar conundrum? Would love to hear your thoughts :)

If you're 2c no *way* you'll get to be 3a by cutting your hair shorter. 2 hair needs length to fully form.

I use a product called the "curl enhancing smoothie" by Shea Moisture (recently discovered it) and it takes my hair from 2b/c to 2c/3a, no joke! Yes, even at classic length! (I do have layers, though.) You might be better going the product route.

And in the end your hair does what it does, and when it can do no more, that's *it*, that's the texture you're dealing with. Cutting it shorter only really works for 3 hair.

Beborani
August 12th, 2016, 09:41 AM
You are young--you have enough time to try both! Do whatever makes you happiest now, you can chsnge your mind later.

turtlelover
August 12th, 2016, 09:44 AM
If your hair is thick enough, you can have some light layering without thinning out your hemline too much, especially if you aren't growing super long.

DizzyGinger
August 12th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input! Arctic, you hit the nail on the head when you said, "This probably culminates the difference between LHC and Naturally Curly forums." I read both forums and it's probably the source of my conflict!

lapushka, I didn't know that about type 2 hair! I do think I'm a solid 2, despite some people here occasionally saying 3a...I think because some of my hair can form ringlets. Anyway, I think you're right about going the product route first. The only changes I've made so far to my routine is changing to cowashing. Which has already greatly increased my curl. Thanks for the product rec.

I'm tentatively thinking I will continue to primarily focus on length and perhaps not worry so much about, "How curly can I get?" and instead maybe long, softly wavy hair will be good enough for me!

littlestarface
August 12th, 2016, 11:01 AM
You still got a looong way to go sweety lol I wouldn't worry about this stuff even tho I know it's hard not to think above and beyond. Your hair will be beautiful that's for sure, especially with that gorgeous color of yours. I bet you'll still even get huge ringlets when you have really long hair, just got to keep up with the CG routine.

lapushka
August 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM
lapushka, I didn't know that about type 2 hair! I do think I'm a solid 2, despite some people here occasionally saying 3a...I think because some of my hair can form ringlets. Anyway, I think you're right about going the product route first. The only changes I've made so far to my routine is changing to cowashing. Which has already greatly increased my curl. Thanks for the product rec.

I'm tentatively thinking I will continue to primarily focus on length and perhaps not worry so much about, "How curly can I get?" and instead maybe long, softly wavy hair will be good enough for me!

If you have just a few ringlets, then that still fits the definition of 2c hair. If it's ringlets all over your head, then it's 3a. I would love curly hair myself, and I get that urge, but I just have to settle for my 2 hair. Do look into that product by Shea Moisture because that is *amazing* for definition!

DizzyGinger
August 14th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I was just looking at Shea Moisture at the store yesterday! I'm going to get some this week. :)

lapushka
August 14th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I was just looking at Shea Moisture at the store yesterday! I'm going to get some this week. :)

When you get & use the Curl Enhancing Smoothie (hibiscus line), be sure not to use too much. I use about a 2 euro coinsize for classic length hair (more and it gets sticky). So if you have shorter hair, use *much* less! And if you have used to much and you get sticky residue on your hair, you'll know to use less next time.

Mya
August 14th, 2016, 08:14 PM
I think I could even reach 3a if I had a haircut specifically for wavy/curly hair.

Which would equal a lot of layers probably.

I don't know where that misconception comes from, but curly hair doesn't require layers. Some curlies do better with a some layers, lots of other curly heads do better with one length hair. It pretty much comes down to the owner's tastes. Curly hair is going to be curly regardless. I personally consider layers hair hell and my hair thrives when it's one length, because layers make it frizzier, stringy and prone to damage.

The thing about curly hair is that it has body. Don't kill it with layers and let it bulk up, especially since you are still learning about your hair. Don't be hasty. Curly/wurly hair is a beast you get to know over time and it usually has a mind of its own. The worst thing you can do is trying to *make* it look a certain way, while all you need to do is getting to know it and act accordingly.