PDA

View Full Version : (maybe silly!) question about braid placement

pandacobbler
August 8th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Hello! I have a question about braids that may be silly... but I have longish hair for the first time since I was a kid and I am having to learn all the secrets! My hair is currently bra-strap length.
My question is, how can I get my pigtail braids to fall down my back, instead of falling forward over my chest? Whether I do a two standard three-piece braids or fishtaisl, the braids always fall over my collarbones. If I want them to fall down my shoulder blades, do I need to begin braiding in a certain spot? Or is it just a matter of gaining more length so that the braids are heavier and will hang properly down my back? When I do my pigtail braids now I can toss them over my shoulders, but they end up in front again fairly quickly.

Thank you for the help, and I am sorry if this is a naive question!

MidnightMoon
August 8th, 2016, 08:17 PM
If you braid by grabbing hair pieces as you move down, youd just have to make sure you follow the shape of your head, and grab pieces more to the back of your head, something like this...
http://www.thecoveteur.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Boxer_Braid_062-1-728x500.jpg (or whichever style of braid you prefer). If you just divide the sections and braid, without grabbing any pieces, like this http://stealherstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/marzia-hair-pigtail-braids.jpg, youd just have to move your head in the opposite direction to where youre braiding, so... tilt your head as much to the left as you can when doing doing the right side...so the placement is as far back in your head as possible, and then do the opposite with the other side. At least thats what I do... instead of putting the braid on my lap/front and braiding.

vampyyri
August 8th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I have this issue if I start a braid and flip it to my shoulder too soon to finish it. If you start it in the back and pull the first weave with a lot of torque in the middle, and hold the rest of the hair upwards during the first couple of weaves, then you should be able to flip it to your shoulder to finish the braid.

MidnightMoon
August 8th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I have this issue if I start a braid and flip it to my shoulder too soon to finish it. If you start it in the back and pull the first weave with a lot of torque in the middle, and hold the rest of the hair upwards during the first couple of weaves, then you should be able to flip it to your shoulder to finish the braid.

Exactly...thats what I had in mind but my English wasnt enough to put that into words/a moderately understandable idea haha

Entangled
August 8th, 2016, 10:12 PM
When I want my braids to fall down my back, I start tightly and aim towards where a normal english braid sits, the back of my head. I can aim more towards the middle back if I want to, but it's crucial to aim.:) I try to braid down as far as I can before bringing it over my shoulder to make sure the braid doesn't shift and hang forward.

spidermom
August 8th, 2016, 10:20 PM
My braids always, but ALWAYS, swing around and fall forward over my shoulders as I move around. Drives me crazy! That's why I pin them up most of the time.

Doreen
August 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM
It may take more length to get them to permanently stay in the back, but starting your braid tight and doing as much as you can with your hands behind your head instead of over your shoulder, it might help. Doing a pair of french/dutch braids in a V shape can also help to guide the braid to stay in the back where you want it.

Arctic
August 9th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Echoing others; you might need more length for them to stay put. And in general with braiding, always braid in the direction you want the finished braid to go. If you want it hanging down in the back, braid it in that direction for as long as you possibly can before bringing it forward (if your hair is too long to do it all at the back); if you want heidi braids, braid towards up and front; if you want side braid, braid over your shoulder and so on.

lapushka
August 9th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Hello! I have a question about braids that may be silly... but I have longish hair for the first time since I was a kid and I am having to learn all the secrets! My hair is currently bra-strap length.
My question is, how can I get my pigtail braids to fall down my back, instead of falling forward over my chest? Whether I do a two standard three-piece braids or fishtaisl, the braids always fall over my collarbones. If I want them to fall down my shoulder blades, do I need to begin braiding in a certain spot? Or is it just a matter of gaining more length so that the braids are heavier and will hang properly down my back? When I do my pigtail braids now I can toss them over my shoulders, but they end up in front again fairly quickly.

Thank you for the help, and I am sorry if this is a naive question!

Put them behind your ears. That always worked for me.

Lavendersugar
August 9th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I part mine down the center and work starting each braid roughly over the center of my eyes. Working to the back I keep the braid in the back until I can no longer braid. Then I'll pull to the side but not the front.
Mostly do Dutch braids which I find move less than French braids.

Length could be a factor but try keeping the braids close to the center and see if it helps.

Silverbleed
August 9th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I usually braid the way I'd like it to 'hang' once I'm done. If I braid in front of my chest, that's where it'll stay put. If I braid over my shoulder, it isn't able to fall on my chest. My hair is still really short but this works still.
Plus you could also try braiding a bit more into your neck. Instead of just behind your ear (http://mediaresources.idiva.com/media/content/2016/Jun/double_dutch_braid5.jpg) or the side of your head, a bit closer towards the back of your neck (http://www.number4hair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/How-To-Rock-The-Double-Dutch-Braid-595x488.jpg).

Anje
August 9th, 2016, 12:43 PM
I start them in the back near the part and braid them behind me for a few rounds, then pull them over the opposite shoulder to continue braiding. That keeps them behind me by default. They still swing forward readily, but their normal attitude is down my back instead of over the shoulders.

meteor
August 9th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Hmm, with shorter hair, I think there is less flexibility to braided pigtails, maybe?... What I think can help is starting braiding with a Luana braid (smaller braid into bigger braid - e.g. https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) on each side or Dutch/French/lace braids on each side, because these types of braids will start directing the hair back and down early on, while the braid is still on scalp.

Cg
August 10th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I'll agree that starting toward the center and pulling it upward to finish should make pigtail braids lie down the back. It's also a good arm workout.

pandacobbler
August 10th, 2016, 09:28 PM
thabk you all for your advice! i was successfully able to get my braids to go down my back. it is not as easy as braiding for the front (probably will be with longer hair!) but definitely worked out well. :-)