PDA

View Full Version : Spacing out highlights

Bhruninha
August 8th, 2016, 12:19 PM
So I went through my credit card bills and found out that last year I got my hair highlighted 8 times :rolleyes:. Of course because of that, on top of flat ironing almost every day my hair is super broken, tons of splits and very dry, which is why I joined this site and decided early January that I would start spacing out highlight sessions but not completely give up on blonde hair, cause I just don't feel like myself without the blonde. Since January I got my hair highlighted only one time at the end of May and plan on doing it again late November. The ombre/roots trend helps a lot and while I like how it looks right now I still have urges to dye once in a while. Is anyone else trying to do this?

meteor
August 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM
^ Great strategy IMO! :thumbsup:

I no longer highlight at all (though I do get that urge from time to time still, and your line about not feeling like oneself without the blonde is something I can relate to).
I remember when I started spacing out highlights to about once or twice a year, my hair certainly got darker over time, but the condition of my hair improved dramatically. I also think it's a great strategy because it gives you the option of very slowly transitioning to natural hair color without a drastic demarcation line and without getting the shock of suddenly getting much darker hair.

I think it's very important to let the colorist know right away about your root maintenance plan and the desire to stretch highlighting a lot, so that they know not to put too many highlights too close to roots and to do more of a low-maintenance balayage sombre look rather than very blonde all-over highlights.

By the way, for preserving the hair's condition during bleach sessions, I'd definitely come in with a heavy coconut oil soak (it may help a bit with bleach damage: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495), and I'd do some research into Olaplex or other similar products for helping with damage.
Also, I'd use conditioners with hydrolyzed proteins (Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, Redken Extreme, Aphogee 2-Step, gelatin DIY, etc...), penetrating oils, ceramides, 18-MEA and silicones for after-care.
And of course, since damage is cumulative, I'd really recommend cutting down on heat-styling, ideally eliminating it completely, especially if you are already struggling with split ends. I'd try out heatless styling methods instead (mostly wet-setting techniques, for example, here is beautyklove's playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4626FAE04F57ED14).

Bhruninha
August 8th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the tips meteor! I admire you for not giving in to the urges, I know it is really hard. You give me hope saying your hair improved so much just from spacing the sessions, I really hope mine acts the same. I have cut out on the heat use a ton, I only use it once a week now, on the cool setting and the rest of the week I just wear it curly. I also have used olaplex on the last three sessions and do the take home once a week, however don't really see any improvement from that. Maybe the next time I go to the salon I will combine the coconut oil and olaplex.