PDA

View Full Version : Something has changed with my hair...

Tangles
October 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I can't blow-dry it straight anymore. Today, I spent a half hour trying to work it with a round brush, product and dryer. After successfully indigo-ing it to its virgin color, I wanted it straight to see how long it really was. But my hair didn't straighten out and now, at the end of the day, its actually curlier than if I air dried it (and stringier, too).

I've also noticed an alarming reduction in thickness, so much so that I'm too embarrassed to post a photo here. I actually feel like my hair is thinner than it's ever been :P (I'm still struggling to gain weight in my body, too: my boobs, butt and hair have all "deflated" mysteriously compared to when I was 20; might there be a correlation?)

I know, I know; you're not supposed to fight your hair, but work with it. Yet I feel my hair isn't telling me what it wants anymore. When I use cones, it gets like spaghetti and my scalp itches. When I don't use cones, it's better but very dry because V05 isn't slippy enough. I use shea butter on my ends with some success, but it's no miracle. My hair hates honey. I feel like a parent who tries to do everything for their kid, and eventually realizes that all that pampering and coddling is just diverting from the real issue.

SHELIAANN1969
October 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Oh hon, I can't offer suggestions, just :grouphug: and hope things get better.

HairColoredHair
October 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe no-cones but add a little oil for slip?

And, in addition, have you been to a doctor about the weight loss? Weight loss + hair loss could indicate a hormone problem. :)

Tangles
October 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yea, I've tried jojoba oil and my hair is sort of impartial to it. I'll have to try camellia. My hair DOES like heated EVOO (some brands of it).

Oskimosa
October 18th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I might be mistaken, but I think I remember you tried shampoo bars too (without success), right?

Have you tried catching the Dairy Whip fever that's going around? :p MAYBE a combination will help. Also, when you use V05 are you CWC'ing or just WC? Following with a cold rinse?

AND my last suggestion for now is, have you tried working ACV into your rutine? It may give more slip and shine.

Tangles
October 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I might be mistaken, but I think I remember you tried shampoo bars too (without success), right?

Have you tried catching the Dairy Whip fever that's going around? :p MAYBE a combination will help. Also, when you use V05 are you CWC'ing or just WC? Following with a cold rinse?

AND my last suggestion for now is, have you tried working ACV into your rutine? It may give more slip and shine.

I will check out the ACV; thanks. I'm also open to sugestions about cone free conditioners that give more slip than V05.

Yeah I do CWC always.

I'm just really irritated that I can't get my hair straight these days. Though I know my hair fares better without heat, I like the thought that straight and sleek is an option sometimes.

tinah
October 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
hmmm. you really need to see a doctor about your thyroid.
in the mean time, have you tried clarifying and going with comething like Nexxus color essure?

eaglefeather71
October 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
My hair has decided to be much wavier than ever. I tried blowdrying my bangs one day and no lie, 10 minutes later they looked worse (curlier) than before I did it. It just wants to be what it wants to be, and straight is out of the question right now. I feel your pain! I like the wave and the body but its not soft and wavy, it curls in the strangest ways.

lyria
October 18th, 2008, 10:51 PM
:hmm: I don't know if this is the case for you, but real weight loss can cause significant changes in your hair. It can become drier and more wispy or static which sometimes translates to wavier. Like so many other LHC-ers I am pretty confident that a healthy diet and healthy weight are the first steps to healthy hair.

If this is not the case for you then feel free to disregard this post entirely.

Good luck! :)

Angellen
October 19th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Ugh. My post just got eaten. Let me try again.

Potential health issues aside, I've had a similar experience lately, so I'll share my solution. I was using 'poo bars, but I recently moved from a humid climate to a much drier, colder one, and my hair did a complete 180. It went from moderately wavy to quite straight, from full to sleek. However, because it was used to humid not dry, my hair became parched and frizzy. It was totally unmanageable, tangly, poofy and straight and I started getting LOADS of splits. Something had to be done, it was awful. I started using Suave, but CO wasn't working, (I'd already experimented with CO prior to 'poo bars) so I got some suave shampoo. It was better, but my hair was still really dry and generally not happy. (This sounds like what you've experienced with VO5: better than cones, but not great.) I was using LOADS of coconut oil every day just to keep my hair pacified. I then discovered Giovanni at our local grocery. I tried tea tree shampoo for my flaky/dry scalp and 50:50 conditioner on my ends. Better, but not great. Then I tried Giovanni's Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner. Success! My hair is smoother and silkier, I have no frizz, it's much more manageable, etc. I used a little coconut oil to keep my ends happy, but nowhere near what I was using before.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is that you might have to search a bit before you find what works for you now (assuming you get a clean bill of health, that is!) and just listen to your hair: It doesn't like cones, V05 isn't heavy enough/it needs more moisture...It'll tell you what it wants. :)

bunnii
October 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I found the cone free list for you :) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216&highlight=cone+free+list

And the UK version (i'm not sure where you're from :p) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12619&highlight=cone+free+list

spidermom
October 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Could it be atmospheric humidity interfering with your ability to get your hair straight? Some days I will try to blow-dry straight and get nothing but poof. Other days I'll wake up, shake my wavy hair down from a sleep bun, and 2 hours later it will be 1B straight. It depends on how much moisture is in the air, also on planetary alignment I think (o.k. - I'm kidding with that last one).

Tangles
October 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Oh gosh, DUH.

When I chopped my hair to collarbone last spring, the stylist thinned out my hair "just a tiny bit."

Recently, my hair underwent a bit of a growth spurt, going to about 22". However, that was only the longest lengths. I was noticing that my ponytail looked ragged and that when I took photos from the back it looked like there were holes in my hair.

So I think my thinned out parts from the nape are growing in and the rest just became stringy. No wonder! I just did a trim to get my ends as blunt as possible, trimming 1/2" from just a few parts and 1/4" from the rest. It already looks much better, though it's still wet. I don't care if I'm at APL my whole life as long as my hair looks thick.

I hold close to my heart the stories of LHC'ers like Katze who maintained at about this length for months before growing thick, healthy long hair. <3

jivete
October 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
For slip, I like the Biolage Conditioning Balm, original or generic version.

missy60
October 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
When I was COing I could never just use VO5 I would always have to follow up with a thicker conditioner on my ends or my hair was dry. Biolage is a good second conditioner.