PDA

View Full Version : Head Coverings: Scarves, Tichels, etc

wrh452
October 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here covers their hair, but I am starting to want to and I want to know what options are out there. I think hijabs are beautiful, but I want something I can wear anywhere and not offend anyone. You can't wear a hijab and go and drink at a bar. Pictures would be great!

Thank you

Leeloo
October 17th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm also wondering how to cover hair in a practical and a cute way. So far I've seen cute options for snoods and hair scarfs on Etsy. During the winter a cute breathable hat would also be cute. I'll keep an eye on this thread for other ideas. Thanks for starting this thread. I was just thinking about this.

Kaelee
October 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I've worn bandannas frequently before, but they don't tend to cover all the hair as well as other things. I would bun it, and tie the bandanna underneath the bun. Totally fits in at a bar. ;) (Just be careful what colors you wear, or you could be mistaken for a gangster :laugh: I usually wore pink, or tie dye, or glittery, or something outrageous.)

sweetinlace
October 18th, 2013, 12:39 AM
There are also tichels. A tichel is traditionally a jewish head covering worn by married women. I don't know too much about the history, but I think the basic reason for wearing is modesty. I have seen similar head coverings around before I knew what they were and never really assumed they were religious. I always just thought they looked a little hippie-ish...which I like.

FairHairedDane
October 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Do you mean something like this http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/bun.pl?

ladyfey
October 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I love the snoods at the etsy shop a snood for all seasons. They are the only ones I have found that work for me. I wear them more days than not!

magfish
October 18th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Also hair scarves (or regular scarves made of slinky / satiny / silky material) can be used to wrap around hair, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in a cute enough way for everyday use without making me look ridiculous- but hey, it's another option!

jeanniet
October 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I love the snoods at the etsy shop a snood for all seasons. They are the only ones I have found that work for me. I wear them more days than not!

Agreed! Really nice quality--and they have silk snoods, which are very non-damaging to hair (work as sleep caps, too).

wrh452
October 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I like the idea of snoods, but I feel like I would be uncomfortable with my neck being so relieved. Maybe I should try to wrap a scarf in a way that still covers my neck, but doesn't look like a hijab. If anyone has found a nice way, please show pictures. I will try to find some too.

Tootsie
October 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
These can be worn to also cover your neck.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShariRoseShop

sweetinlace
October 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Yep. That's what I was referring to.

sweetinlace
October 20th, 2013, 11:27 AM
One of my favorite belly dancers (Rachel Brice) sometimes wears a head scarf. The way she ties it, it manages to cover her hair and neck without looking like a hijab. I've tried and I just can't get my scarf to look the same. The link is to an image from the front. From the back, the tails of the scarf just hang down loose.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QNeFxGQpdi4/T28IXvr-4WI/AAAAAAAACjU/8pnDnm1WmAU/s280/tumblr_lrz3o3oNTf1qjvrz3o1_500.jpg

juliaxena
October 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I was just thinking how wearing hair up sort of represent covering for me.

noludoru
October 22nd, 2013, 01:08 AM
Go anywhere, although a thrift store will be the best - I like ARC and Goodwill in Denver - and pick up some medium or small lightweight scarves. Preferably square ones. Target has quite a few this year, but they're all $15-ish. Then do a headwrap of some sort, and voila.

Andrasta
October 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
I have started to wrap my hair on some days, it helps to keep it protected and gets me an extra day between shampoos as I shampoo everyday. I find it looks quite nice as well. I use thin colorful scarves or pashminas and start by draping them over my hair and tie it in the back then I wrap each end around in a bun shape and tuck it under. It stays put all day and looks great!

wrh452
October 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone! Yo have given me some good ideas to play with

paper.mageling
October 29th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Look on pinterest at hijabs. That said, the ones that drape across the neck in the front look most obviously like hijab. Some ladies cover their neck with a turtle neck instead though. This style (I think it's often called Turkish style hijab) is less obvious: here, (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/322570392031906280/) here, (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/322570392031901672/) and here. (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/322570392031906302/) If you are strict about covering, and don't even want to show a little, look into hijab underscarves. They make the scarves stay in place much, much better, and prevent hair from poking out (they also work amazingly well for tichels, and give you a neater look overall).

melesine
October 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I have a few of these, but they more cover the head unless you are wearing your hair up with it

https://www.etsy.com/shop/danielleloporto

DJgang
November 2nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/classic-coverings/megs-snood/

This is what I wear to church. I bought one and figured out how to make my own. I know you were concerned about exposing your neck too much, but just wanted to share.

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/classic-coverings/megs-snood/

This is what I wear to church. I bought one and figured out how to make my own. I know you were concerned about exposing your neck too much, but just wanted to share.

That is beautiful! Thanks for posting the link

caren
November 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I just ordered this one:
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/158254099?ref=fb2_tnx_title
Happy to report on it when it arrives!

ladyfey
November 3rd, 2013, 04:56 AM
^ I think you will love it! I have 2 from her and couldn't be happier with them. The crushed velvet is great for warmth and the satin I practically can't even feel I'm wearing.

DJgang
November 3rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I just ordered this one:
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/158254099?ref=fb2_tnx_title
Happy to report on it when it arrives!

You will love it!

Scelesta
November 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
I've actually started using a lightweight scarf(I was given one today and decided to try wrapping it to cover my hair and it worked beautifully.) I'm planning to buy more since its much more gentle on my hair then the hair ties I own and alot more comfertable, plus I dont have to see my hair which is a plus while I learn how to manage it properly lol, I do think though I'm going to have to find a better fabric type though, the one I have is synthetic and rather itchy.

Pacific
November 4th, 2013, 04:44 AM
I'm using scarves for covering my hair.

Bunnehlvr22
August 29th, 2015, 09:59 PM
So I recently ran across tichels in my search for headscarves. I've been considering wrapping scarves around my head for awhile and was excited to find tichels. I got three scarves from a place called "Wrapunzel". The only problem is that they make my head look like a melon. I know Wrapunzel sells a "shaper". But I didn't want to go that route because I wanted to wear scarves to get my hair off my neck and shapers look really hot.

So I was curious if anyone here wore tichels and if you wear them without shapers how you keep your head from looking like a melon or bowling ball. (I even have a oblong face, not round one.) Or if I'm stuck not ever going to be able to wear my beautiful tichels.

Naunnie
August 29th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Oh! my gosh! I spent hours just last night, looking at tutorials for tichels and Wrapunzels! I was researching different ways to keep my hair up and protected. I had planned on just using my bun instead of a shaper...My face is also oblong. I thought it looked fine.

On another video, I saw a lady add an extra skull cap to the skull cap she was wearing. She commented you could use a variety of other things, just try what would work and not be to hot for you. A commenter on her video said they use tissues.

I'm also interested what others may recommend.

tentaclecat
August 30th, 2015, 06:19 PM
You might play around with where you place your hair. I keep mine low so I don't get Alien Xenomorph Head--which is a look many people like, but just makes me look ridonkulous.If you want to play around with volume without spending money, do your hair in a simple bun and tie a hankie or small scarf (israeli tichel) around it to give a little bit of 'volume' without the crazy volume. You might also just try a 'regal wrap', one scarf. It's not a lot of bulk, and in a cotton scarf isn't very heavy--if you think about it, it's basically a sunhat. I've gone hiking like that and been fine. (I do rec the velvet headband, though, if you wrap).

-Fern
August 30th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Yes! I think tichels and headwraps are very fetching. :D But it can take some practice not to have them bunch up or look huge. Let me dig, I had an awesome tutorial around here somewhere...

Oh yeah! Found it, I love this lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sNoD3116r0

She has other videos specifically for Wrapunzel, too. HTH!

(ETA - Oh, and she is only wearing the black headcovering underneath the wrap for modesty while making the video. She doesn't normally wear it when doing her wraps. The black velvet headband she is also wearing, on the other hand, is what helps the wrap stay in place the whole day long.)

Bunnehlvr22
September 1st, 2015, 09:39 PM
- Cool!!!! What kind of tichels did you get? I got several of the pashminas.

I managed to get a decent natural look on my hear with the ooophtastic scrunchie (or whatever the technical name is). I think I got it too high up though because it felt like it was pulling my scalp down. Could've been because I was on the beginnings of a migraine (too many darn triggers to completely avoid those stupid things). I think I'll try to put the bun lower next time.

- I LOVE that video!! The one where she ties the ends and just leaves them down is exactly what I was looking for!

* (Edited to explain my electrical device won't let me quote right now because it enjoys giving me a hard time.. apparently.)*

Kaelbu
September 1st, 2015, 10:00 PM
I don't think I do it properly, but I usually put my tichel over a low-ish bun and leave the point of the triangle untucked, if that makes sense. I've never found that my head looks like a melon! But I may just not be looking at it the right way!

rags
September 1st, 2015, 10:13 PM
Well, I have a little round apple face anyway - so regardless I look like a melon! But I love tichels and I love Wrapunzel. I do recommend the velvet headband, however. But the shapers are definitely hot for the summer!

This is one of my favorite wraps - I like some with some volume; I look better that way! And Andrea's tutorials are fantastic, I highly recommend them! (I will probably remove this pic in a day or two as it's a face pic).

pastina
September 1st, 2015, 10:27 PM
For Mother's Day this year, I bought myself two pre-tied tichels from ShariRoseShop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShariRoseShop?ref=l2-shopheader-name) <---link

They have elastic sewn into them so they are formed already, and it's like putting on a shower cap-- that simple. Aaaaand, I love them. LOVE them.

My husband just misplaced them both while "cleaning" this weekend. In quotes, because his brand of cleaning equals taking things from places where I can find them, and moving them into random drawers, never to be seen again. Grr. I've been searching for two days, now. When I find them I will be like :joy: :joy: :joy:

Anyway! Here are two pictures of me wearing one... Not quite sure if I really "pull off" the look, but they're really just for super-dirty-hair days bumming around the house anyway. :)

This first one is awkward-- because those are my knees, yet every time I see this picture, I double take. lol!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/virgin4sale/Photo%20on%205-29-15%20at%209.09%20AM_zpsmapoqlpd.jpg

Annnnd from the side...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/virgin4sale/Photo%20on%205-29-15%20at%2010.07%20AM_zpsduepro0s.jpg

I basically low-bunned my hair, put the Tichel on and I'm done!

hennalonghair
September 1st, 2015, 11:40 PM
Wrapunsel:lol:
I LOVE those things and you ladies look great in them.
These would be great for bad hair days or while first growing in the grays

lunasea
September 2nd, 2015, 01:57 AM
I wrap my hair at night to straighten it and use the wrapunzel velvet doohickey to keep the silk wrap in place. BTW, rags and Pastina you are both such beautiful women...I thought you were but now I know for sure!

rags
September 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Lunasea - :flowers:

Pastina, you pull if off better than i do! :lol: That's what I wear mine for - bad hair days. I started wrapping during the worst of the shed, when I had actual bald spots showing through on my scalp (still have a couple, but not as bad). I mainly wear mine around the house too, though I have some I can wear out. I have a couple of pre-tiers, too, but I actually enjoy the creativity of actually wrapping them. (although I can only do two scarves. Any more than that and I'm toast)

Bunnehlvr, you can try doing a sock bun underneath - I find that makes a neat bun and fills out the back some. You can do a cinnabun and wrap a small scarf (like an Isreali tichel) around the bun. Or you can do what I've been known to do in the summer - put it up and forget it! :lol: If you aren't doing multi-scarf wraps you really don't need that much volume. I like the turbans too (no volume needed for them), but DH laughs and calls me a fortune teller. So I don't wear them much around him. They're really easy to do though, and no volume required!

Naunnie
September 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM
Rags and pastina I think you both are lovely! I can vouch for the Velvet headbands. That's one of the greatest tips I ever gotten! No more slipping off.:applause I can keep my scarfs or sleep pocket bonnet on now. I already had some Velvet fabric and I whipped up a few headbands in not time. The trick is making sure the pile of the Velvet goes the right way. Here is Wrapunzel Ladies (Andrea Grinberg) tutorial about it just in case...No-Slip Headband and Tichel Shaper Tutorial - Wrapunzel Essential Tools! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JfckCoLk8k

mira-chan
September 2nd, 2015, 04:46 PM
I have the cotton ones with silver thread through them. I wore tichels for a bit over a year pretty much every day when I was feeling not so well. I could wear the same braid in a braided bun under that for more days.

I guess my face shape works with them as a have an oval face. I tied mine in a similar way to what the Orthodox Jewish ladies do around here. Just tied under bun then the ends wrapped around the bun. I tend to wear my buns in the center/ upper back of head.

Like this, though this is a silk triangle scarf. One of the ends got loose in this picture.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/scarf/IMG_3062.jpg

meteor
September 2nd, 2015, 05:39 PM
^ Oh that looks like a lovely technique, mira-chan! Thanks for sharing!

Rags and Pastina, you look so beautiful! :applause Wow, there is a particular stark beauty when all the hair is hidden away, actually! :D Those tichels/wrapunzels look like the most protective thing ever for hair! I bet it's great for preventing UV damage, preserving smooth styles, keeping all dust/lint away... :) Great stuff!

-Fern
September 2nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
Beautiful, Rags! I keep trying to figure out how you do that beautiful staggered layer look to your tichel. Is it two pieces of fabric, or the way you wrap it?

rags
September 2nd, 2015, 08:29 PM
Fern - it's just one (quite long!) scarf. It's just the way you wrap it. Let me find a tutorial........(of course hers is waaay better than mine - but then it's Andrea LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgD4SuH3PY

Mira-chan, I totally missed your post I'm sorry! That is beautiful. I love how cool those Isreali tichels (cotton with the silver/gold threads) are in the summer, and how lightweight. Yours is beautiful there.

I also like doing a single braid, in this one I am using an oomphastic scrunchie around my teeny ponytail some volume (or else my braid tends to slide right off the back of my head!)

Quasiquixotic
September 2nd, 2015, 08:55 PM
I love it rags! I've totally spent the part of the afternoon I wasn't reading about tax regulations look at her youtubes. I love this! But I'm not sure I'd actually wear it.

rags
September 2nd, 2015, 09:41 PM
Qausi, I just enjoy learning how to do it. It's been a good creative outlet for me when I've been so ill. And it's great for those days when I was just too tired/sick to wash my hair! :lol: I mostly wear them at home, but I've gone out to the grocery and such with them. When I do that I tend to wear a very basic wrap with tails hanging. And a "boho" scarf. I get less funny looks that way! :p

It's really fun, though if you'd ever want to try it! :eyebrows:

-Fern
September 2nd, 2015, 09:46 PM
I have mixed feelings about wearing them in public... for one thing, I am Jew-ish (non-practicing), but unmarried (and I'm not Orthodox anyhow, so no one would expect me to wear it, but it might give a mixed message if I wore it around other Jewish people. :lol:)

And for another thing, when I have worn pashmina wraps in the winter to stay warm, I felt it really did draw negative attention for me to wear a headcovering in my part of the Bible Belt. Not that anyone was openly rude, but people were very curious and I got a lot more stares than I'm used to. It does make me more sympathetic to women who wear hijab in my area. Or maybe it's just my personality... I like being able to go unnoticed and it bothered me when I couldn't.

:couch:

rags
September 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM
Fern, I totally understand the mixed message thing. That would be difficult.

I too prefer to blend in, and so mine are mostly worn at home. If I wear them out, it's only to the local grocery store, where they already tease me because I wear ankle/floor length skirts only. But yes, I do get looks from the other customers. I usually just try to ignore them (I think it helped me a lot that I started really getting into this with the hairless - and people understand that!)

truepeacenik
September 2nd, 2015, 10:57 PM
On the mixed message, I'm no longer so orthodox. I'm more Reb Schacter-Shalomi, of blessed memory, than Rebbe's Army.
So, when I cover, I leave some hair showing.
It takes me out of "Muslim convert" territory and haredi.
And locally, it makes me look weird hippie.
Shoes fit and all.

mira-chan
September 3rd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Thank you meteor and rags. :) The israeli ones are super comfy too. Plus I can get them for less than $5 in my area on sale sometimes.

I live in an area with a high percentage of Orthodox Jews and Muslims. Though married now, I was engaged when I did the wearing tihels for a year thing. I've had no issues. I am half Jewish ancestrially and apparently look it enough that people come up and talk to me in Hebrew or Yiddish assuming I speak one of those, even with out a tichel and while wearing pants. :D wearing a tichel and skirt actually helps me blend in, in my neighborhood.

I dont think I'd look like local haredi because of clothing styles, I wear way too much color to be mistaken, and by avoiding the flower print scarves.

Fern, sorry you had to deal with that. :( I also wear pashmina in the winter, though I wear it in a russian traditional style it can look like a hijab to someone who doesn't know. Thankfully due to me area being NYC, I've not had any issues... Other than relatives telling me I look like a village girl or a grandma. XD

Naunnie
September 3rd, 2015, 11:55 AM
I found this video very helpful. If you have time, I recommend reading all 32 comments too. For me...very educational. :)

Wrapunzel- The Blog Naomi Rose: Is it Offensive if I Wear a Tichel? https://wrapunzel.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/naomi-rose-is-it-offensive-if-i-wear-a-tichel/#comments

missrandie
September 3rd, 2015, 11:59 AM
While I have never worn mine out of the house, I have wrapped my hair before.. mostly for me to pretend that I had a pony tail.

In the winter when I was in school, though, I full on wrapped my head and face up so only my eyes were exposed to the subzero cold. Interestingly enough, I felt like I garnered less attention when wearing my scarf than when I wasn't. It seemed like people intentionally didn't look at me.

enting
September 3rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
I love tichels and wraps. I'd been trying to grow my hair longer for forever, and wrapping really boosted me from bsl/midback to "where did all this come from?" waist/hip length. I guess my hair was getting a lot more damage than I thought, just by being exposed. Wrapping also allows me to have the fun of changing the color around my face without dyeing my hair:)

Kat
September 4th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I felt it really did draw negative attention for me to wear a headcovering in my part of the Bible Belt.

I take it not the area of the Bible belt where women regularly wear headcoverings?

I always used to just wear mine kerchief-style, but I didn't put my hair up-- I felt like a bun looked like I had some weird head growth I was covering up with a scarf. I could never get my hair to not look strange under there. (And, I'm not that fond of wearing my hair up all the time anyway.) In front it looked similar to pastina's pictures-- rather sleek. It's those shapers and such that make your head looks so round, because they make it look like you have a huge head under the scarf. I could never pull off the volume (same for wrapping the ends around my head-- doing so made my head like ginormous. I just let them hang, or wrapped them around my braid under the scarf.)

The kerchief style meant it didn't look that out of place anywhere (not that I lived in an area with Muslim women or Jewish women who covered their hair for people to compare me to). Especially since I usually wore them with jeans and such, and because I didn't cover all my hair. A couple people said I looked "Amish" if I wore them with skirts... which is ridiculous to anyone who's ever *actually seen* an Amish person, but I think to some people, something on your head = Amish.

(I did wear them for religious reasons, but Christian religious reasons, and not the usual conservative ones.)

Peggy E.
September 4th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Women have worn head coverings forever and not necessarily for religious purposes.

Today there seems to be more of a fashion-forward exploration of differing cultures, an acceptance of a universal beauty which, with luck, might even lead to a more open understanding of all peoples, rather than a blind fear based on ignorance.

Wear what you enjoy, what makes you feel good about yourself - it's about empowerment and self-acceptance. These are beautiful and should be seen more often on all women.

They do look hot, though, and I can never get wraps to stay on my head....

Peggy E.
September 4th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Hey! Just noticed I had my tenth anniversary!!

Naunnie
September 4th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Women have worn head coverings forever and not necessarily for religious purposes.

Today there seems to be more of a fashion-forward exploration of differing cultures, an acceptance of a universal beauty which, with luck, might even lead to a more open understanding of all peoples, rather than a blind fear based on ignorance.

Wear what you enjoy, what makes you feel good about yourself - it's about empowerment and self-acceptance. These are beautiful and should be seen more often on all women.

Lovely and well spoken Peggy E.:flower: I completely agree! Happy Anniversary!:toast:

vpatt
September 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Is the oomphtastic scrunchie only for use underneath the head wraps? Is it to increase the size of hair? I did not see any explanation or instruction. I am very intrigued by the wraps. I think they are very pretty. I am not sure how they might look on me.....but I may try it.

You ladies (rags, pastina, mira-chan) are very attractive with the wraps.

Peggy, happy anniversary.

truepeacenik
September 4th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I agree with most of what you said, Peggy, but I'd add overtly before religious, as social custom does have roots there, along with climate.

Having a layer to soak up sweat and keep sun off dark hair equals cooler than sun beating on your scalp. It's true for my mid tone red, too.

To Bible Belt covering, I saw mostly bandana type and size kerchiefs and the odd doily/crocheted coaster pinned like a kippah on a non Jew, in daily wear.
The reason was "I pray with my head covered, and I need to be able to pray a lot."

So "covered" covers a lot of definitions!

rags
September 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Happy anniversary Peggy!

I wear this style out when I want to cover my hair out and yet be inconspicuous - pretty much like a bandana style (if you extend it out, which I do) , but pre-tied, and I let my bangs hang out. The tichels are mostly just for fun for me, as I enjoy learning to do wraps.

https://www.garlandsofgrace.com/product/shabby-chic-stretch-cecily-in-rustic-green/

Naunnie
September 4th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Is the oomphtastic scrunchie only for use underneath the head wraps? Is it to increase the size of hair? I did not see any explanation or instruction. I am very intrigued by the wraps. I think they are very pretty. I am not sure how they might look on me.....but I may try it.

That's a new thing for me to. Have you seen this video? s://wrapunzel.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/wrapunzel-under-wraps-everything-you-want-to-know-about-tichel-shapers-no-slip-headband/comment-page-1/

I also think they are very pretty. For me, it's a work in progress. There are so many different ways to wrap. I just keep practicing. The only "shaper" I'm using is my own bun. I made my own velvet headbands. Basically, I watch a video for one I like, see if it's easy for me to do, wear it for a while, and go from there.

enting
September 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM
For a while I used to add a regular scrunchie around my bun under a wrap to give the bun a broader look. That made the scarf drape nicer (in my opinion) over my head, rather than having a pointy blob where my bun was. The oomphtastic scrunchie seems like it would be able to add a lot more volume than a regular scrunchie. As far as not looking like a bowling ball, I think it's really a matter of adding volume where you think it looks nice on your head. I have a bit of a round face, and so far my favorite style is a high, loose bun that is just barely visible from the front if I look down slightly. Then I wrap the scarf with the side tails over the top of my head, but towards the back. That gives a little bit of height to the wrap, but it's farther back from my face. Somehow, more layers or ropes made from the tails right at the front makes my face look rounder. That style also anchors the scarf a bit on my bun so it is less likely to slide right off. Other wrappers (is that a word for this context?) I know prefer using a volumizer positioned to add lots of padding at the back but none around the sides of the head, but there are some people who like volumizers that add padding around the sides more, and not as much in back. I won't tell you how long I've spent watching Wrapunzel's videos :whistle:. Wraps that start in the front and tie in the back will also look different and give a different effect than wraps that start in the back and tie in the front or at the temple. Try experimenting, and see what you like on yourself :)

vpatt
September 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM
That's a new thing for me to. Have you seen this video? s://wrapunzel.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/wrapunzel-under-wraps-everything-you-want-to-know-about-tichel-shapers-no-slip-headband/comment-page-1/

I also think they are very pretty. For me, it's a work in progress. There are so many different ways to wrap. I just keep practicing. The only "shaper" I'm using is my own bun. I made my own velvet headbands. Basically, I watch a video for one I like, see if it's easy for me to do, wear it for a while, and go from there.

Thank you, Naunnie! That is a great video. I think I want the scrunchie and the headband. I'm not sure I would use a shaper......but who knows?

enting
September 6th, 2015, 05:22 AM
That link, rags! That's beautiful! I didn't click on it at first. Now I need to explore their entire stock :)

vpatt
September 7th, 2015, 09:13 AM
For anyone who has the headband. Could this be used as a regular headband, also? Or is it too wide and only works well under a wrap?
I am going to order a scarf.....do you think one will work or will two be better? Or maybe I just have to try and see what I like. I love the look....on others, but I'm not sure how it will work for me. But I love knitting hats so it may be that I can use the the scrunchie under a hat even if the tichels don't work for me.

I love the Wrapunzel videos, the women are lovely and very inspiring. I really love their beliefs about modesty and beauty.

rags
September 7th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I think the headband is too wide to look well as anything other than maybe an athletic headband, actually. Just my preference.

I would definitely try with just one scarf first. Two scarves is harder (and depending on where you are and which scarves you get - will be hot!). Try and learn some basic ties first - I learned the regal wrap first (I already knew how to do the one Andrea calls the "basic long scarf wrap" or something like that. It's what I use a lot of the time if I'm leaving the house.

vpatt
September 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I think the headband is too wide to look well as anything other than maybe an athletic headband, actually. Just my preference.

I would definitely try with just one scarf first. Two scarves is harder (and depending on where you are and which scarves you get - will be hot!). Try and learn some basic ties first - I learned the regal wrap first (I already knew how to do the one Andrea calls the "basic long scarf wrap" or something like that. It's what I use a lot of the time if I'm leaving the house.

Thanks rags! I think I will order now. Of course they make it look so easy in the videos, lol.

Argh! Now I don't know which headband to get.....my head is 22"......I guess I will go for the extra large unless one of you says they are really stretchy.

enting
September 7th, 2015, 04:41 PM
vpatt I have a velvet headband, but from a different company. Depending on how the edges are finished, you can wear it as a headband on its own. It really depends on your own aesthetic. I like both narrow and wide headbands. The downside to velvet headbands that close with velcro is that the velcro can catch in hair :(
As far as what size to get, you could always contact Andrea directly to ask her opinion. Sometimes the headbands do stretch out a bit, but she would know better than I about her own merchandise.

vpatt
September 7th, 2015, 08:10 PM
vpatt I have a velvet headband, but from a different company. Depending on how the edges are finished, you can wear it as a headband on its own. It really depends on your own aesthetic. I like both narrow and wide headbands. The downside to velvet headbands that close with velcro is that the velcro can catch in hair :(
As far as what size to get, you could always contact Andrea directly to ask her opinion. Sometimes the headbands do stretch out a bit, but she would know better than I about her own merchandise.

Thanks enting. Ouch, Velcro could be painful, I bet.

rags
September 7th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Wrapunzels are velcro, I don't like that about them at ALL. They are the only one I have right now - I'm looking for another one that doesn't have the velcro. I wouldn't recommend it..

vpatt
September 7th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I hope you post if you find one without the Velcro. But will a tichel stay on without a headband?

rags
September 7th, 2015, 10:41 PM
For some people they will. I have baby fine, slippery hair. For me, they don't. Not at all.

There are plenty out there without; I'm just trying to decide which one to get. Maybe Enting can tell us which one she has?

enting
September 8th, 2015, 02:25 AM
I have some random, no-name company one that is really cheap and stretches out a lot. I have not been able to find one that has any other sort of closure but velcro, and yes, it is quite ouch when it catches on hair! It also makes me wince when it catches on scarves.... Some people who have made their own sew the edges closed the way a store-bought knit headband would be made, so there is no closure to catch on anything. I would imagine that one could remove the velcro from a store-bought one and either sew up the back or replace it with some other sort of closure: a ribbon, a button, a snap, or something else I haven't thought of. If anyone wants to look further online, they are also known as wig grips.
A headband is not necessary for all things in wrapdom, but it can make things easier. Some types of hair are really grippy and nothing will slide off of them, but other types of hair slip everything off and will need to have the tichel pinned on within an inch of its life. The latter type of hair would probably do better with a velvet headband. The same thing goes for the material the tichel is made of. A stretch knit cotton scarf might stay on just fine all by itself, the way a buff would. A pure silk satin might laugh at the idea that it's supposed to stay anywhere! In addition, if you want to try to experiment with volumizers or with several scarves at once, you may need the headband to counter the extra weight and volume. Hope that helps!

vpatt
September 8th, 2015, 05:09 AM
Thanks enting and rags. I will check for wig grips. I have similar hair to rags. I remember way back when my hair was long..... regular cloth headbands would slip up the back of my head. I don't know of any shops locally that have velvet fabric. So that means I would need to order it in order to sew my own headband. That could turn into a sad tale as I'm sure there is a minimum yardage for fabric, shipping and I would have to make it, lol. And I don't even know how I will look in a wrap.

rags
September 8th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Well what I've been doing is using Wrapunzel's (since I do already have it!) with the velcro already carefully fastened and with a snap clip over top of it. So I don't fasten/unfasten the velcro on my head - thus negating most of the catching hair problem. i'd still rather have one without, though.

meteor
September 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I hope you post if you find one without the Velcro. But will a tichel stay on without a headband?

If the velcro is a problem, could it help to sew in a couple buttons and loops (for the buttons to attach)? Then, the velcro can be just cut off or covered with some textile sewn on top of the velcro, maybe? :hmm:

rusika1
September 9th, 2015, 08:45 PM
If the velcro is a problem, could it help to sew in a couple buttons and loops (for the buttons to attach)? Then, the velcro can be just cut off or covered with some textile sewn on top of the velcro, maybe? :hmm:
I would imagine buttons would be as big a problem as velcro--i know my hair would immediately wrap itself around the button.

What about sewing a short piece of wide elastic so the band will have a little bit of give? By short, I mean an inch or less long.

Naunnie
September 10th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I don't know of any shops locally that have velvet fabric. So that means I would need to order it in order to sew my own headband. That could turn into a sad tale as I'm sure there is a minimum yardage for fabric, shipping and I would have to make it, lol. And I don't even know how I will look in a wrap.

I'm not sure where you are located but many craft stores carry velvet fabric. Some stores will offer more choices as cooler weather approaches. I want headbands in different colors, so I'm experimenting with velvet ribbon of different width's. I've made a few using and elastic ties for the closure like this; http://collegelifestyles.org/2010/10/diy-designer-ribbon-headbands-for-the-stylish-co-ed/ I have a pea head, so just one elastic tie works too.

vpatt
September 10th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions! I think I may at first order the velcro band and try using it as rags said. But I need to decide if I want this first or some of the other hair toys I have been looking at. Need to stick to budget and there is so much temptation, lol.

I do have a long lacy scarf I knitted that I tied on my head to get an idea of the look. It is not the same as the tichels but does give me something to think about. I think I may need more fullness around the front of my head if that makes sense. Just the scarf looks kind of flat and not my best look.....so that probably means more than one tichel.....however, I will start with one and go from there. Thanks again.....I'm sure I'll be asking more questions when I actually get one.

And there is a Michael's store here, I can check out the velvet there and maybe try making one, thanks Naunnie.

Naunnie
September 11th, 2015, 10:24 AM
vpatt, I understand what you mean about needing fullness around the front. I am the same way. I'm still playing around with this problem. The velvet fabric scrap I have is very stretchy and it rolls on it's own. I safety pinned it as a headband and tried it with the wrap. I liked the look much better, but it was just a temporary fix. I tried making a headband braid and then adding the velvet on top of that. It kinda worked. I'm not practiced at this style of braid and I did have some hair that pulled after I put on the wrap. I envision a crown braid would work but, if I was ever able to accomplish that...I would not want to cover it up! :p So, the next thing I'm going to try is making a braided velvet headband. Have you seen the ones made out of t shirts? The problem I forsee, is getting the pile right. I'm on a mission can ya tell? :rollin: Thanks to friends/family I have quite a few scarfs I want to wear. If I come up with an easy solution I'll let ya know. :flower:

vpatt
September 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
No! I have not seen braided headbands. Now I'll be searching for that, lol. Yes, please let me know of any solutions you search out.

enting
September 13th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Instead of letting the ends of the scarf hang down or wrapping them flat over the top, try turning the tails into a rope braid and then wrapping that over the top. That might give some of that volume around the front that you're looking for. The woman who made me love headscarves used to wear an ombre scarf in that style, and the rope was always two toned that way. If the tails aren't long enough to go all the way over, I twist each tail on its own, bring each tail over the top from either side, and tie in the middle. Then I wind each tail around the other to make a rope. I believe there are also volumizers that add bulk around the sides and top rather than just in back. I've also done milkmaid braids and pinned those up in a fake crown braid, then wrapped a scarf on top of that. If i wrap the tails over or in front of the pinned braids, I end up not even needing a velvet headband at all, and it gives more volume around my face.

Kat
September 13th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Happy anniversary Peggy!

I wear this style out when I want to cover my hair out and yet be inconspicuous - pretty much like a bandana style (if you extend it out, which I do) , but pre-tied, and I let my bangs hang out. The tichels are mostly just for fun for me, as I enjoy learning to do wraps.

https://www.garlandsofgrace.com/product/shabby-chic-stretch-cecily-in-rustic-green/

They have some lovely things. Back when I used to always wear headcoverings to church, I was considering getting a couple.

I've always secured my scarves with a couple clippy barrettes. I never tried a headband, but I can't imagine it would stay on my head very well. You could use hairpins as well. Some people who don't want the barrettes or hairpins to show on top of the scarf have added a small loop underneath to slide the hairpin/barrette through.

Less obtrusive might be the method I've read many Amish use (though it wouldn't be for scarves of delicate fabric): they'll put a clippy barrette in their hair just beyond where the edge of their headcovering will sit (horizontally), then put on the covering, and take a straight pin and slide it through in front of the barrette (also horizontally). I believe the idea is that the pin goes through the covering, catches some of the hair that's held down by the barrette, then back through the covering again. I don't see this working very well in a high wind, and of course you must be careful with your straight pins, but it would work if your scarf isn't likely to get yanked or anything.

vpatt
September 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM
More options to consider....thanks.
:cheer:

And I just happened to think that if any of you are knitters there are easy patterns for wide headbands that might work as the bands that rags just mentioned from Garlands of Grace. I'm not certain how well they would stay on, but I may try one. It should be a quick project.

rhosyn_du
September 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I have insanely slippery hair, so even velvet headbands slide right off, and I've found that the best way to secure wide headbands (and velvet headbands beneath scarves) is with four snap clips: one above each ear, and one on each side of the nape of my neck. They're pretty unobtrusive there even with nothing over them, and when I wear tichels, I use them over my velvet headband but under my scarves, so they're completely hidden by my scarves.

For those who need volume, my favorite styles are those with twists or braids that go across the top of the head and this style (https://wrapunzel.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/the-princess-veil-samanthas-first-wrapunzel-tutorial/), all done over a bun or shaper (sock buns ftw!) high on the crown of my head.

-Fern
October 25th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Had to share... found a lovely pashmina in shades of grey at a thrift store. For $3, this may be my cheapest hair accessory--and it can double as a scarf or wrap. :lol:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19502&d=1445822776

irodaryne
October 26th, 2015, 12:29 AM
So I recently ran across tichels in my search for headscarves. I've been considering wrapping scarves around my head for awhile and was excited to find tichels. I got three scarves from a place called "Wrapunzel". The only problem is that they make my head look like a melon. I know Wrapunzel sells a "shaper". But I didn't want to go that route because I wanted to wear scarves to get my hair off my neck and shapers look really hot.

So I was curious if anyone here wore tichels and if you wear them without shapers how you keep your head from looking like a melon or bowling ball. (I even have a oblong face, not round one.) Or if I'm stuck not ever going to be able to wear my beautiful tichels.

The higher you wear it on your forehead, the longer your face looks. The lower on your forehead, the rounder.

Monkshood
October 26th, 2015, 08:45 AM
-Fern :inlove: (and is that a handknit sweater?)

vpatt
October 26th, 2015, 09:39 AM
-Fern :inlove: (and is that a handknit sweater?)

Love your hair Monkshood......and the purple flowers.

Monkshood
October 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Oh, thank you! :flower:

vpatt
January 15th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I finally ordered from Wrapunzel! I ordered the head band and one of the BIG scrunchies and one pashmina in the eggplant color. I figured if I like that one I can order more. I am excited and really hope that I like it. Does anyone else have the scrunchie? If so, what do you think about it?

ThrowNormanAway
February 2nd, 2016, 10:21 PM
I'm so glad this thread is here. I just accidentally found out about tischels via etsy while looking for headbands and sleep caps today. I looked on YouTube and quickly found wrapunzel, as well as several other young women who posted their own independent videos about different ways to do hair wraps in the African or Caribbean styles. I'm SO interested in this. Especially exciting (or at least relieving) was that Andrea from the wrapunzel YouTube channel had that video about non religious use of the tischel, basically stating acceptance of anyone who wishes to use it to feel confident and beautiful in themselves, cause they're kind of the while point. That was comforting. I think I'm going to try to use my existent pashminas to try out a scarf wrap or two, but I'm very encouraged by this prospect of wrapping my hair! I think it'll take help cut down on my mechanical damage from not being able to care for my hair much once it's up for the day while working in the home or caring for my son. Should also (obviously) really help to control frizz through the day as well. Love love love this idea and I look forward to trying it out. Hopefully soon I can order something from the wrapunzel site. Maybe I'll try out a scrunchie and a scarf or two at the very least.

vpatt
February 2nd, 2016, 10:32 PM
I have had my order for a little while now. I like what I ordered. I have played with all of it but haven't worn anything in public yet. I think I feel kind of bashful about it because it is so different for me. I can use the scrunchie for a bun like up do that makes my bun look bigger, lol. I think I will order a couple more scarves.

omega
April 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/sandiegoravelry/Desert/IMG_20160406_143504_zps9cpyliiv.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/sandiegoravelry/media/Desert/IMG_20160406_143504_zps9cpyliiv.jpg.html)
These are what I wear for desert hiking. I found the UV half Buff in a Rock Climbing store and the tie-dyed elasticized headband ( made in India) at a tourist shop in Joshua Tree, a Rock Climbing Mecca. The new maroon headband is from a local thrift store. Picked up the full sized UV Buff on sale at REI.

rosey4exclaim
April 6th, 2016, 09:07 PM
I've covered my hair off and on for several years, and by far my favorite is in the style of the Orthodox Jewish tichel (http://www.coveryourhair.com/HowToTieTiechels.html). I don't often cover like that anymore; on New and Full Moons, I usually wear a headband-like lace cover, especially if I have to work, where head coverings are frowned upon (though I could press the religious issue if I really wanted to).

MsPharaohMoan
April 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for that guide, gunna try it tomorrow!

ethanbawasanta1
April 6th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Is it true that hair coverings like caps can make your hair thinner if your are using it everyday?

enting
April 7th, 2016, 06:35 AM
I just found velvet headbands with elastic sewn into the back instead of a velcro closure! It's a little no-name shop, but it means they exist and are manufactured somewhere! It's not adjustable, but I might try it out anyway.

vpatt
April 7th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I just found velvet headbands with elastic sewn into the back instead of a velcro closure! It's a little no-name shop, but it means they exist and are manufactured somewhere! It's not adjustable, but I might try it out anyway.

Can you tell us who makes them? Maybe they are available online.

enting
April 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM
They don't have a tag, nothing. I can try to ask next time I'm there, though. Most of the scarves they sell they make themselves, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the owners make these, too. Their velcro ones, however, are the same ones as are sold in other shops, as far as I can tell.

Wusel
April 7th, 2016, 03:13 PM

That's a great idea to cover hair with a scarf. I'd take a colorful one... with flowers or so :)

vpatt
April 7th, 2016, 04:38 PM
They don't have a tag, nothing. I can try to ask next time I'm there, though. Most of the scarves they sell they make themselves, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the owners make these, too. Their velcro ones, however, are the same ones as are sold in other shops, as far as I can tell.

Thank you.....maybe they sell online? I know I just need to try making one myself. But I really think I would end up spending more by doing that.

Whirled_peas
June 9th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I have some bandannas that I use when gardening.

Spinder
June 10th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Does anyone know how to actually tie a head scarf like this?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/130658517/gray-head-scarf-pre-tied-bandana-hair?ref=shop_home_active_5

QuietVixen
August 7th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone! I noticed there is a head covering group, but the last post was a few years back and it doesn't feel right to me to revive it after years of inactivity. Has anyone had any experience with head scarves or a head covering of any kind? Feel free to share reasons for wearing your head coverings or scarves. Have you noticed the head covering making a difference to your hair? Also feel free to share pictures of your hair or head covering styles.

FullofGrace
August 7th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I have always felt called to cover my head religiously but don't as it is not normal for my religion out of service and am not quite that brave yet. Maybe one day. But I love the Jewish style of head covering. I would also love to hear from those that cover on a daily basis.

littlestarface
August 7th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Well my hair doesn't get burned by the sun so it's always one color and doesn't have any damage from it. I always wear my hair in a braid or 2 braids with a cotton headband under neath my black scarf, that way nothing tries to escape and I don't have to worry about a tight bun giving me headaches. Braids all the way!

QuietVixen
August 7th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I have always felt called to cover my head religiously but don't as it is not normal for my religion out of service and am not quite that brave yet. Maybe one day. But I love the Jewish style of head covering. I would also love to hear from those that cover on a daily basis.

I admire just you admitting hair covering interests you, that's still really brave. :) I just hope you end up doing whatever it is you want to do with your hair. I enjoy head scarves, but I'm too timid to wear them outside yet. I love wearing them around the house though.

QuietVixen
August 7th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Well my hair doesn't get burned by the sun so it's always one color and doesn't have any damage from it. I always wear my hair in a braid or 2 braids with a cotton headband under neath my black scarf, that way nothing tries to escape and I don't have to worry about a tight bun giving me headaches. Braids all the way!

Sun protection is a really good reason to wear them! Congrats for protecting your hair from the sun. I adore braids too!

mindwiped
August 8th, 2016, 02:54 AM
I will braid or bun and cover my hair if I know I'm doing something where I'll end up sweaty. Yardwork, heavy housework, painting, home repairs.... it's nothing fancy, usually either a tea towel or a bandana, if I'm in the yard I'm wearing a hat too, as I'm very sensitive to the sun. SPF 35 is just for daily use...if I know I'm going to be outside, I wear the strongest I can find, I burn like a natural redhead.

BloomShine18
August 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I'm becoming more and more interested in covering my hair for certain situations. I'm Pagan, and while many Pagans do cover for religion, I'm not quite there yet :-)

In my reading though, I have found another reason that some choose to cover is to aid in keeping the head chakra clear. As someone who suffers from anxiety/ptsd/intrusive (OCD leaning) thoughts, this aspect interests me GREATLY. Plus, the Tichels that they have on Wrapunzel are GORGEOUS!!!

brickworld13
August 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I cover mine when I'm out in the woods to keep out bugs and debris. I do not cover day to day. I could probably get away with it if I was interested in it, but I'm very low maintenance and that would just be another thing to wear and wash. Oh, I wear a satin cap for sleeping and that helps with tangles.

Iamsiam
August 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I love the look of hair coverings, they can be so pretty. In fact, you've reminded me to wear my night cap tonight, I keep forgetting

Arctic
August 8th, 2016, 11:58 AM
When I was recovering from bad, long lasting trichotillomania episode several years ago I covered my hair a lot. I got stared at quite a bit, it's so uncommon here.

LittleTea
August 8th, 2016, 01:33 PM
When I was travelling overseas I'd always wear silk scarves since I can't stand to wear hats! My dreadlocks were also too big to fit under any hats I could find, but now that my hair is brushed out and chopped off I still prefer silk scarves over hats. :D To me they're more comfortable and silk (in my experience) actually acts as a "sunscreen" from the sun's harsh rays, mind you though I don't get sunburned easily so YMMV. Definitely not a religious thing for me, but respect to all those who cover for modesty!

librarychick
August 8th, 2016, 02:19 PM
I've always loved the look of headscarves, tichels, or even just a bandana. However, the only women who cover their hair in my region are muslim, or of African decent. I'd definitely get stared at, as I am neither of those things.

I have used bandanas when I know I'm going to be doing very messy/dirty gardening, but I can't get them to stay in place as well as I'd like.

I'd love tips on how to wear some sort of beautiful head-adornment without stepping on any cultural toes - I work with the public, so if I were to wear something to work it'd have to be both formal enough to suit the dress code, and obviously non-religious. A tricky spot to fill.

BloomShine18
August 8th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I'd love tips on how to wear some sort of beautiful head-adornment without stepping on any cultural toes ...

This is my spot too. Though I likely wouldn't be wearing anything to work, I would still hate to unknowingly offend someone. Although many Pagans do cover, most tend to dress modestly as well. Something that I tend not to do :-)

QuietVixen
August 8th, 2016, 04:15 PM
This is my spot too. Though I likely wouldn't be wearing anything to work, I would still hate to unknowingly offend someone. Although many Pagans do cover, most tend to dress modestly as well. Something that I tend not to do :-)

My concern about offending different cultures is the main reason I'm too timid to wear scarves outside the house.

Scarves.net has an article called: 20+ Ways to Tie a Head Scarf
I recommend it if anyone wants look at different styles for scarves. There are also a lot of YouTube videos about headscarves too, now I just need to feel comfortable enough wearing them outside. I hardly see anyone wearing head coverings at all around my neighborhood.

QuietVixen
August 8th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I can't upload the picture of my head scarf to this forum yet because I don't know how to get a CameraRoll picture's URL from my phone. I did upload a head scarf picture to my new Head Covering album in my profile. Feel free to check it out! I love scarves, they're hugs for your head! :grouphug:

Tassledown
August 9th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, it's really important to me too because headscarves are how I even considered growing my hair long again and how I survived the year and a half going from buzzcut to shoulder length, sheesh. (I looked like Shirley Temple. I am not a Shirley Temple person.)

I generally use headcovering as, as most people here might say, an aid to "benign neglect" in which I can put off washing/styling my hair before it was long enough to do 90% of the hairstyles listed here when it would otherwise drive me nuts. Now that I'm past APL I can play with the styles suggested here and actually come up with things I find look as nice as I could get my scarves with similar amounts of effort. I definitely feel that the scarves kept my hair neater, with less tangles, and definitely less environmental damage than I might otherwise have had.

The other weird I ran into was upon wearing it down for an occasion and then having to go on public transit after almost three years of covering every day I had an automatic "YUCK" response upon realizing my hair could touch public surfaces. Definitely a reiteration of just how important keeping your hair up is keeping it clean and tidy!

I've always loved the look of headscarves, tichels, or even just a bandana. However, the only women who cover their hair in my region are muslim, or of African decent. I'd definitely get stared at, as I am neither of those things.

I have used bandanas when I know I'm going to be doing very messy/dirty gardening, but I can't get them to stay in place as well as I'd like.

I'd love tips on how to wear some sort of beautiful head-adornment without stepping on any cultural toes - I work with the public, so if I were to wear something to work it'd have to be both formal enough to suit the dress code, and obviously non-religious. A tricky spot to fill.

My concern about offending different cultures is the main reason I'm too timid to wear scarves outside the house.

Scarves.net has an article called: 20+ Ways to Tie a Head Scarf
I recommend it if anyone wants look at different styles for scarves. There are also a lot of YouTube videos about headscarves too, now I just need to feel comfortable enough wearing them outside. I hardly see anyone wearing head coverings at all around my neighborhood.

I really need to finish my post to my public blog about headscarves and appropriation don't I? I'll have to cross-post it once I finish the piece here, but I'll try to give a decent quality summary of the research I know offhand. I'm trying to drum up proper citations so that when I run into this stuff at midnight I don't feel like I can't do it justice. (This is just my... thing, okay...?)

As much as the current impression is that only Jewish/Muslim or minority-Christian-sect women cover now is, it was only in the late 19th century that it seriously fell out of style in the rest of Europe. While I would never say someone should just go ahead and cover without being conscious of the current events (Not least of which because of the forty minute argument I wound up in about whether Islam was awful to women that turned into a debate about how to study a translated document properly...) it's not actually the sole reserve of those religions. Headcovering existed in the Mediterranean basin before Christianity existed and was common to Greek and Roman women, and got exported into Europe from there with Christianity (whether or not Europe had its own traditions beforehand.)

Janet Stephens has recreated three or four different styles that use some kind of headcovering (One Greek (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZjOru2b7c), an Italian style (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_C_BJH-Zk), the Seni Crines (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9JYWh1r7U), and the Medieval Midwife (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4phjecn20g) to name a few.) Most Christian pictures of Mary feature a headcovering, and the costume of Nuns was generally a replica of the local style (at least to start with) which did not add something that didn't exist at the time. Folkcostume.blogspot.com (http://folkcostume.blogspot.com/) has a massive collection of the folkcostume traditions around Europe (http://folkcostume.blogspot.com/2014/08/overview-of-folk-costumes-of-europe.html) that include a surprising number of headscarves. (The blog is surprisingly heavy on Eastern Europe, which is normally forgotten, but doesn't actually include any other continents.) China had the weimao, India the dupatta and probably others I don't know about, the Sikh turbans, Romani diklo, the gele and other African headcoverings...

In brief, headcovering is global. As you can guess I did a lot of research and I definitely suggest it to others, because I have had to defend it and it's probably not suitable for someone who isn't prepared for it. Getting a hold of an English snood goes basically under the radar of modern ideas of what a headscarf is, though, and it's comforting to take the time to research all the varieties and see that it really is normal. It tends to come down to your area as to how much attention you get wearing one. When I lived in Vancouver, BC, I got very little; I had a bit more in Pittsburgh PA during a visit, but not a whole lot more.

For those concerned, the opinions of Muslim and Jewish women I could find (Here (http://hijabistyle.blogspot.ca/2009/03/non-muslim-women-wearing-hijab.html), here (http://forums.understanding-islam.com/showthread.php?3202-non-muslims-wearing-Hijab), and here (http://jewishvaluescenter.org/jvoblog/the-sisterhood-of-the-covered-head)) can be summed up as being that headcovering is part of dressing modestly, which is an idea that doesn't belong to anyone. If you're not Muslim, it's not 'wearing hijab', because hijab is their religious code of modesty. Just like if you're wearing a tichel-style scarf, it's not tznius for the same reason - but there's only so many ways to attach a scarf to your head. Here's a sample of Christian coverings over the ages (http://www.scrollpublishing.com/cgi-bin/sc/ss_mb.cgi?storeid=%2A10aa1248a706bb410f4e&ss_parm=A77aaa57a18d80656ecf59bdf4d091c26). And my favourite post about recreating Norse headscarves (https://www.scribd.com/doc/34086286/Women-s-Head-coverings-in-North-Western-Europe-in-the-Viking-Age).

I'll just stop there, I think I went on plenty long enough already. But yeah - headscarves. Definitely up my alley, a huge help to my hair even if I sometimes worry about the friction. It really doesn't overcome the ease and comfort of wearing a scarf and knowing my hair is all under control.

vpatt
August 9th, 2016, 06:42 AM
When I was young my mom and many other women wore headscarves that tied under their chins. I think maybe to keep their hair tidy, but I'm not really sure. The generation before that (my grand and great grand parents) still wore sunbonnets when doing outside work to protect their face from t h e sun, I think. My friends and I wore babushkas. I always had trouble with keeping them on my head, we tied them underneath our hair in the back. I like the look of tichels and have two or three (and still have some babushkas) but I don't care to wear them in public.

lapushka
August 9th, 2016, 07:09 AM
I can't upload the picture of my head scarf to this forum yet because I don't know how to get a CameraRoll picture's URL from my phone. I did upload a head scarf picture to my new Head Covering album in my profile. Feel free to check it out! I love scarves, they're hugs for your head! :grouphug:

You can start a public album here too, and link from that into a message. Or, upload to a photohosting site.

BloomShine18
August 9th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Shortly after I posted, I found a blog video on Wrapunzel (so. many. tichels.) going into cultural appropriation and offense regarding wearing of headcovering. She basically touched on many of the same points that Tasseldown did above. :-)

librarychick
August 9th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Tasseldown, you've got me all excited for your blog post! I'm all about references and citations. It's the librarian in me ;)

I'm going to go see if I can find a few videos on appropriation and head covering to study up on. Thanks! :)

truepeacenik
August 9th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Shortly after I posted, I found a blog video on Wrapunzel (so. many. tichels.) going into cultural appropriation and offense regarding wearing of headcovering. She basically touched on many of the same points that Tasseldown did above. :-)
Well, do you think a site that sells scarves is going to say that some people do get offended? (and a what point does a group stop "owning" a practice, especially if that practice was once widespread?)
I agree with the conclusion, but the source is still biased. Which doesn't mean inconsequential. Just incomplete.

I have been in ultra orthodox communities. I am no longer, but I was very observant, and head covering was a war!
Most women wanted to wear wigs, but the local rebbe was inclined to tichels becaus the wife of the previous rebbe wore them.
One point raised by some members was that to dress in a way that attracts negative attention is just as immodest as showing cleavage or short skirts.
Head covering is only mandated for men in the Jewish world. Covering for women is a matter of interpretation. Especially day-to-day wear versus in synagogue.
It's attached to the fact that men are required to pray at certain times (women are exempted under the assumption that they have householder duties, and a time designated prayer is undue burden) and that praying requires covering.
Now, in communities where the neighbors cover, more scarves are worn. In America and similar countries, wigs are more fashionable. The idea is to stand out less. That's both for modesty and safety, theoretically.

My experience is women who cover tend to be at ease with other women covering. (my experience is Jweishly based, and I cannot speak to encounters between Muslims and Xtians)
Muslim women tend to ask why, because my scarf tying and the allowance of bangs showing are obviously not in their codes or local mores. What's particularly interesting is the line of covering and willingness to talk to random strangers.
A woman with a scarf and abaya (sp?) wil ask, but a woman in niquab will not.
Kids make assumptions. I was chastised during Ramadan by a pre teen girl for eating in daylight hours. The look on her face when I said I wasn't Muslim was shock and confusion. She was covered but didn't understand why someone else would be. Turns out her dad does make her cover, and had since age three!
So there goes the statement from my comparative religions class tying covering with puberty.

I also remember a handful of students at my community college who "covered" with a coaster sized doily. They were some even more conservative offshoot of free will baptsists.

vpatt
August 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I think they just call the doily a covering. But that is more Amish and Mennonite in my area. And they also wear prayer caps or bonnets that tie under the chin. They do it for modesty and also to be plain and concentrate on other things besides how they look. I think the girls begin very young to put their hair up and cover it. Around here there is a variation from generation to generation and possibly from church to church. I know Mennonites who dress just like everyone else...but always modestly.

I don't see why anyone would be offended as long as it is not done in an offensive way. But we all know that personalities differ and some people are more easily offended that others.

QuietVixen
August 9th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I tried to upload the headscarf picture:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24249&d=1470692465

QuietVixen
August 9th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Yay! It worked! I'm so glad! Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful posts. I'm glad everyone is getting some information and support out of this thread.

Tassledown, I'll be excitedly awaiting your blog post too!

vpatt
August 9th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Very nice, quietVixen! And one of my favorite colors, too!

SparrowWings
August 9th, 2016, 10:46 PM
No time for a longer response than "I both do and don't like head scarves", but this thread is making me wonder what the policy is for merging threads. It seems like usually it happens when the topics are the same, yet now there are at least three threads for this topic (one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116297), two (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133710), and this one). What is the logic behind merging or not? Or is it just based on previous knowledge (or lack thereof) of pre-existing topics?

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Merging is usually based on someone's previous knowledge and bringing it to mod attention. I can fix that shortly.

I cover for practical reasons such as keeping dirt and debris out of my hair or firmly contained in the wind but as I tend to appreciate the face shade provided by a hat brim, I'm more likely to wear a hat out of doors than a scarf but sometimes both are called for.

missrandie
August 10th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I cover, but only for dirty jobs or times when I NEED to keep my hair, wispies and all, away from my face. Mowing is one of those times. So is pulling targets or a heavy duty workout.

Otherwise, I use a silk scarf around the house for head comfort.. Its always a little cold, so I cover up.

SparrowWings
August 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Merging is usually based on someone's previous knowledge and bringing it to mod attention. I can fix that shortly.
That's what I was guessing, but it usually happens so quickly and cleanly, I wasn't sure -- you guys must be robots or something! Thanks neko. :)

I love the colors and patterns and general look of scarves on their own, and I have definitely seen some very attractive styles wearing them -- some people can definitely pull it off! But at the same time, I've never really been able to picture them looking nice on my own head. I think some of that is because I like seeing and being able to touch my hair if I so choose (even though I rarely do once it's up). I also suspect that it would result in my hair getting dirtier faster, or alternatively, result in the scarf getting gross and potentially damaged if I use it to cover my already-dirty hair. For something cheap that's worn with the intent of keeping dirt out, that's fine, but for the nicer scarves out there, I can't bear to hurt the pretty colors! But sadly, I suspect at least some of my aversion is because of how ingrained it is to the culture here that it's a cancer covering, above all else. And my hair sits really flat across my head, especially if it's covered by anything, so it could absolutely start looking like I was bald underneath, which just turns me off. I mean, I know there would still be a bun lump, but... That just doesn't feel like enough to me. So I end up ooo-ing and aaah-ing and wishing I could convince myself to use the prettinesses, but passing because I know they would just collect dust. Though I did see mention of using them like a paranda, in a braid... That's more appealing to me, so maybe that'll be a reasonable justification!

sanguinebread
August 10th, 2016, 10:34 PM
That's what I was guessing, but it usually happens so quickly and cleanly, I wasn't sure -- you guys must be robots or something! Thanks neko. :)

I love the colors and patterns and general look of scarves on their own, and I have definitely seen some very attractive styles wearing them -- some people can definitely pull it off! But at the same time, I've never really been able to picture them looking nice on my own head. I think some of that is because I like seeing and being able to touch my hair if I so choose (even though I rarely do once it's up). I also suspect that it would result in my hair getting dirtier faster, or alternatively, result in the scarf getting gross and potentially damaged if I use it to cover my already-dirty hair. For something cheap that's worn with the intent of keeping dirt out, that's fine, but for the nicer scarves out there, I can't bear to hurt the pretty colors! But sadly, I suspect at least some of my aversion is because of how ingrained it is to the culture here that it's a cancer covering, above all else. And my hair sits really flat across my head, especially if it's covered by anything, so it could absolutely start looking like I was bald underneath, which just turns me off. I mean, I know there would still be a bun lump, but... That just doesn't feel like enough to me. So I end up ooo-ing and aaah-ing and wishing I could convince myself to use the prettinesses, but passing because I know they would just collect dust. Though I did see mention of using them like a paranda, in a braid... That's more appealing to me, so maybe that'll be a reasonable justification!

Obviously you know your comfort level best, so disregard this if you want to--

But regarding dirty hair, it's pretty typical to wear some kind of (comparatively cheap) underscarf under the outer decorative ones with a lot of styles. It helps with preventing the outer scarf from slipping off (especially if it's made from something like silk) and keeping all of your hair covered if that's a concern, as well as keeping your hair from getting the nicer scarves gross. That said, I've worn scarves directly over fairly dirty hair -- I wash twice a week -- and never noticed the scarves becoming noticeably gross.

If you're concerned about looking bald underneath/awkward conversations about whether you've become seriously ill, you can tie the scarf an inch or two back from your forehead so the front of your hair (and any bangs) show, in addition to bun lumps. I've also worn scarves with one or two long braids hanging out under them.

I rarely cover my hair now, but I did for several years, and sometimes I'll do it for a couple of days if I'm feeling particularly anxious or exposed.

enting
August 21st, 2016, 02:50 PM
I generally use headcovering as, as most people here might say, an aid to "benign neglect" in which I can put off washing/styling my hair before it was long enough to do 90% of the hairstyles listed here when it would otherwise drive me nuts. Now that I'm past APL I can play with the styles suggested here and actually come up with things I find look as nice as I could get my scarves with similar amounts of effort. I definitely feel that the scarves kept my hair neater, with less tangles, and definitely less environmental damage than I might otherwise have had.

The other weird I ran into was upon wearing it down for an occasion and then having to go on public transit after almost three years of covering every day I had an automatic "YUCK" response upon realizing my hair could touch public surfaces. Definitely a reiteration of just how important keeping your hair up is keeping it clean and tidy!

I didn't realize how much environmental damage my hair was accumulating until after a year of covering my hair and noticing how much better and longer it looked!
I also never thought about my hair being exposed to ... things.... in public until after covering my hair for quite a while. All of a sudden it was like oh my gosh, how did I ever allow my hair on this public bus headrest? What if the person that just got off had lice? Or if I'm cleaning my house and realize just how much dust and dirt I am getting in my hair on the times when it's not covered. And covering is definitely useful for benign neglect or for leaving deep treatments to soak for a full day. Nobody knows how full of oils and what-all my hair is :D

enting
August 21st, 2016, 02:55 PM
Thank you.....maybe they sell online? I know I just need to try making one myself. But I really think I would end up spending more by doing that.

Vpatt, I tried asking the shopkeeper when I was there last week (buying a velvet headband with elastic in the back, because I'm tired of the velcro eating my hair and my scarves), but he seemed very busy and was short with me. Apparently some woman he has contact with makes them and brings in a delivery of them every once in a while, they don't always have them in stock. He didn't seem to be interested in discussing it further.

calmyogi
August 21st, 2016, 06:06 PM
Where has this thread been in all the time I have been a member here? I bought a bunch of tichels when I was first trying to grow my hair hoping that it would help with hiding the greasies. I gave it up only because I didn't want to offend anyone I don't feel like anyone was really staring at me a whole lot or if they were it was more or of wondering like "oh is she Jewish or part of some religion?"

Tassledown
August 22nd, 2016, 02:21 AM
Where has this thread been in all the time I have been a member here? I bought a bunch of tichels when I was first trying to grow my hair hoping that it would help with hiding the greasies. I gave it up only because I didn't want to offend anyone I don't feel like anyone was really staring at me a whole lot or if they were it was more or of wondering like "oh is she Jewish or part of some religion?"

The stress of trying to bring it back, yeah! Somewhere in the last couple of pages I wrote a long answer about that question there. I've found it really helpful in terms of maintaining my hair, especially when it starts needing a wash and I just can't find the time or energy yet (I have fatigue issues that vary day to day.) I generally get positive responses, but I've mostly covered in Vancouver, B.C. It tends to vary based on where you are, and what religious communities are common there, what people will say or do about it.

BloomShine18
August 22nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
my tichel order from Wrapunzel arrives today. :joy:

Tassledown
August 24th, 2016, 12:49 AM
my tichel order from Wrapunzel arrives today. :joy:

Congratulations!

I keep going back and forth on if my scarf styles would be relevant here. So many of them cover ALL of my hair so it'd feel a bit odd to post a picture to a hair forum with no hair in it. *laughs* Some of them show a bit, I should probably try to replicate a few now that my hair is longer.

Sometimes I have to wonder if the reason I have so very few split ends is because of the three years I've spent regrowing it and covering it 90% of the time, thus keeping my ends "protected" by dint of "never exposed at all." All in all a good result I suppose, if somewhat unintentional. (Half that was "OMG my hair is short, curly, and looks NOTHING LIKE ME! HIDE IT!!")

enting
August 24th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Congratulations!

I keep going back and forth on if my scarf styles would be relevant here. So many of them cover ALL of my hair so it'd feel a bit odd to post a picture to a hair forum with no hair in it. *laughs* Some of them show a bit, I should probably try to replicate a few now that my hair is longer.

Sometimes I have to wonder if the reason I have so very few split ends is because of the three years I've spent regrowing it and covering it 90% of the time, thus keeping my ends "protected" by dint of "never exposed at all." All in all a good result I suppose, if somewhat unintentional. (Half that was "OMG my hair is short, curly, and looks NOTHING LIKE ME! HIDE IT!!")

They absolutely would be relevant. After all, many of us look for more protective styles. As long as the scarf itself doesn't cause damage, a full coverage scarf style is pretty much the most protective style you can do!

I thought I had pretty much reached as long as my hair could go while still trimming off damage. Then I started doing full coverage scarf styles for a while and months later I was shocked to discover how much my hair had grown! I mostly attribute my growth past mid back to scarf wearing. I had no idea how much exposure to the elements was damaging my hair.

Tassledown
August 31st, 2016, 02:17 AM
They absolutely would be relevant. After all, many of us look for more protective styles. As long as the scarf itself doesn't cause damage, a full coverage scarf style is pretty much the most protective style you can do!

I thought I had pretty much reached as long as my hair could go while still trimming off damage. Then I started doing full coverage scarf styles for a while and months later I was shocked to discover how much my hair had grown! I mostly attribute my growth past mid back to scarf wearing. I had no idea how much exposure to the elements was damaging my hair.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/9d12257f099a483a9eef60f4e7a68ef1/tumblr_nhmf9pruhQ1smbwano1_1280.jpg

That's my favourite scarf style, tbh (although its a VERY old picture, so there's much less hair in that snood than there is now - not that you can tell, which was the point at the time.) It's a snood I got from etsy from a seller that sadly is not making them anymore. I've tried getting one from another seller but it doesn't cover as well, and yet another style doesn't have the right volume to look good by itself (and is a bit tight on my big head.)

It got broken out again today in lieu of another updo because I'm overdue for a wash and had no spoons to do so today. *makes face* Am looking forward to tomorrow morning, to say the least.

enting
August 31st, 2016, 03:20 AM
Ooh, Tassledown, that looks so cozy! Just the thing for a day with no spoons.

calmyogi
August 31st, 2016, 09:36 AM
The stress of trying to bring it back, yeah! Somewhere in the last couple of pages I wrote a long answer about that question there. I've found it really helpful in terms of maintaining my hair, especially when it starts needing a wash and I just can't find the time or energy yet (I have fatigue issues that vary day to day.) I generally get positive responses, but I've mostly covered in Vancouver, B.C. It tends to vary based on where you are, and what religious communities are common there, what people will say or do about it.
Yeah, people thought I was trying to do African American hairstyles more than anything... But I lived in a pretty granola community so no one though much about it. Everyone did what they wanted there style wise, and there were a lot more interesting styles going on than my head scarves lol.

Tassledown
August 31st, 2016, 11:51 PM
Ooh, Tassledown, that looks so cozy! Just the thing for a day with no spoons.

This one is super cozy. It's linen and while it's actually fairly thick, it breathes well and the thickness gives it volume all its own - which, if you don't have volume with a snood, it can look really bad. The best style for my lightest snood is actually to have my hair in two braids coiled up in it, otherwise my hair's volume is too intense for it - but this linen one contains my hair perfectly fine without any help. I also have to clip my lightest snood to my head to keep it on, because it's not deep enough to come forward as far as this one - although the lighter snood actually is more professional looking.

My lightest snood is a black one from Garlands of Grace (https://garlandsofgrace.com/product/megs-snood/), which is the only snood I can direct you to right now, and I quite like it. I have both a snood and a cowl from her and they are very good quality hair products, IMO. If I get a job I'm actually planning to get more like it. My only caveat is the owner is very Christian, so if you have any religious opinions about buying things, that's something to consider as a pro/con. I'm not Christian, but also don't much care as long as they have good customer service (she does) and quality products, but it's not something people like being surprised by.

enting
September 1st, 2016, 04:30 AM
Does anyone know how to actually tie a head scarf like this?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/130658517/gray-head-scarf-pre-tied-bandana-hair?ref=shop_home_active_5

I couldn't see if anyone had responded to you yet. I imagine that tying two side tails of a triangle at the nape and then tucking the back tail under the knot would give a similar look. If you use a scarf that is just big enough to cover your head it would look even more similar because the remaining tails would be short like the pretied has. Some people tuck all three tails under the knot so that it looks like a gathered-in-back snood.
To get it to lay nicely the way this pretied does, one would probably need to use a very drapey or stretchy scarf so that one doesn't end up with weird pokey standing up bits. I get an odd looking result when I try similar styles with stiffer fabric scarves, but your mileage may vary, especially depending on how much hair it's going over. Fuller buns placed higher up help to smooth out the look of stiffer fabrics on me.

Tassledown
September 2nd, 2016, 01:35 AM
I couldn't see if anyone had responded to you yet. I imagine that tying two side tails of a triangle at the nape and then tucking the back tail under the knot would give a similar look. If you use a scarf that is just big enough to cover your head it would look even more similar because the remaining tails would be short like the pretied has. Some people tuck all three tails under the knot so that it looks like a gathered-in-back snood.
To get it to lay nicely the way this pretied does, one would probably need to use a very drapey or stretchy scarf so that one doesn't end up with weird pokey standing up bits. I get an odd looking result when I try similar styles with stiffer fabric scarves, but your mileage may vary, especially depending on how much hair it's going over. Fuller buns placed higher up help to smooth out the look of stiffer fabrics on me.

Yeah, IME your answer is accurate. I generally do that kind of style with a very loose-weave scarf or my silks. It doesn't quite look like that, because that is basically a snood with tails, but tucking the ends under the knot at the base of your skull is the most similar effect. When I'm not browsing LHC at midnight I will try to get a photo of my own style to share. *makes face* I just always wind up checking this at midnight...

maco
September 16th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I wear what is basically an Elizabethan coif. I'm a Quaker and a 16th century reenactor. Hey look, real life and play meet up. Kinda. (Quakerism is 50 years post-Liz, but eh)

https://c6.staticflickr.com/2/1622/25781011893_8d76fb7803.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FhbqD4)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/FhbqD4)

It's just that I took the standard coif pattern (http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/pics/coifpat.gif) and used a rectangle instead. Off my head it's like style 2b on the Marquis of Winchesters coifs page (http://www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk/Ecwr-Guidelines/coifs.html).

I used to wear tichels, but my right ear (maybe because of my glasses) hurts if I wrap over it, and tichels stay best if you go over the ears. Also, the amount of fabric under the bun / at the nape of my neck made it hard to put my head back.

maco
September 16th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I didn't realize how much environmental damage my hair was accumulating until after a year of covering my hair and noticing how much better and longer it looked!
I also never thought about my hair being exposed to ... things.... in public until after covering my hair for quite a while. All of a sudden it was like oh my gosh, how did I ever allow my hair on this public bus headrest? What if the person that just got off had lice? Or if I'm cleaning my house and realize just how much dust and dirt I am getting in my hair on the times when it's not covered. And covering is definitely useful for benign neglect or for leaving deep treatments to soak for a full day. Nobody knows how full of oils and what-all my hair is :D

You do oil treatments with a covering on? What do you put as an oil-barrier under your covering?

hinabelle
September 16th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I love covering my hair and hope we get more traffic in this thread for new styles.
maco, that coif is so super cute! Thanks for sharing.

wanderer743
September 17th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Guys this is such an awesome thread! My question though is I like to rock climb and go backpacking and I want to cover my head to make less tangles and keep my hair clean. But my hair is super slik (is that how you spell that...ahh well) so even bandanas slip during the day and buffs and scarfs slip within the hour. So I'm hoping for advice on how to make them not slip and maybe different styles you all think would work for those activities.
I'm game to try anything.

Cg
September 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I wear what is basically an Elizabethan coif. I'm a Quaker and a 16th century reenactor. Hey look, real life and play meet up. Kinda. (Quakerism is 50 years post-Liz, but eh)

https://c6.staticflickr.com/2/1622/25781011893_8d76fb7803.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FhbqD4)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/FhbqD4)

It's just that I took the standard coif pattern (http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/pics/coifpat.gif) and used a rectangle instead. Off my head it's like style 2b on the Marquis of Winchesters coifs page (http://www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk/Ecwr-Guidelines/coifs.html).

I used to wear tichels, but my right ear (maybe because of my glasses) hurts if I wrap over it, and tichels stay best if you go over the ears. Also, the amount of fabric under the bun / at the nape of my neck made it hard to put my head back.

Very interesting link, thanks! Think I'll make something similar since I have only 6000 snoods, caps, hats, and scarves. But not one of these.

Guys this is such an awesome thread! My question though is I like to rock climb and go backpacking and I want to cover my head to make less tangles and keep my hair clean. But my hair is super slik (is that how you spell that...ahh well) so even bandanas slip during the day and buffs and scarfs slip within the hour. So I'm hoping for advice on how to make them not slip and maybe different styles you all think would work for those activities.

I pin caps on using bobby pins and/or long straight pins.

enting
September 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM
You do oil treatments with a covering on? What do you put as an oil-barrier under your covering?

The few times I've done it, I've wrapped a plain black scarf over my hair first and then wrap whatever scarf I want to show on top of that. The black scarf prevents the overscarf from getting all oily and the black one doesn't show oil stains if I want to wear that by itself later on. I do usually try to wash the black one pretty soon after wearing it, though, just so that it doesn't smell like rancid oil.
I would imagine one could wrap their hair in plastic wrap or even put a shower curtain on and then wrap a regular scarf on top of that. It might be a bit slippery that way, but possibly worth trying.

Wanderer743 do you have experience with velvet headbands? I know that some people's hair is too slippery even for that, but if you haven't looked into them yet, they can help with many hair types and keeping some sort of cover on. I know that some people use wig grips sewn into the inside of their scarves and wraps, but I don't know how hair friendly that is over the long run.

Tassledown
September 19th, 2016, 02:36 AM

My hiking styles are usually either something that uses an underscarf, started low on the forehead, my snoods, and/or the snap-clips for hair - but I do have coarse hair. Velvet headbands are what I've seen a lot of other people who cover use, especially with thin/smooth hair, so that might be one of your better bets. GarlandsofGrace.com do some with velvet strips pre-sewn in, although my hair at WL is almost too much for the snood to hold and stay on without help even with that.

littlestarface
September 19th, 2016, 03:20 AM
I wear a wide cotton head band to hold my hairs back and not have my scarf slip all over the place(I wear a georgette material scarf) as I can't have any loose hair coming in front in public works 100% for me every time.

Shepherdess
September 19th, 2016, 09:43 PM
I wear a wide cotton head band to hold my hairs back and not have my scarf slip all over the place(I wear a georgette material scarf) as I can't have any loose hair coming in front in public works 100% for me every time.
I need to get something like that, I always have trouble with my scarves sliding off! What a great idea! :)

littlestarface
September 19th, 2016, 11:11 PM
I need to get something like that, I always have trouble with my scarves sliding off! What a great idea! :)

Yes and it's good for placing pins as well as they have something to anchor into instead of just slippy scarf.

ummyahya
September 20th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Oh wow, this is a great thread for me!
I am a full-time hijab since about 5 years, and I have tried many solutions that do not upset my hair.
The best right now is a thin bonnet cap (either cotton or silk) with tie-backs, and above it a pinned scarf. This reduces the friction of the scarf on the hair, and I often just oil my hair, put it up under the bonnet, and get a day of deep conditioning without anybody noticing. :eyebrows:

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Yes and it's good for placing pins as well as they have something to anchor into instead of just slippy scarf.
Oh, that is a wonderful idea with the pins too! I need to try this! :D Thank you for sharing! :flower:

I am a full-time hijab since about 5 years, and I have tried many solutions that do not upset my hair.
The best right now is a thin bonnet cap (either cotton or silk) with tie-backs, and above it a pinned scarf. This reduces the friction of the scarf on the hair, and I often just oil my hair, put it up under the bonnet, and get a day of deep conditioning without anybody noticing. :eyebrows:
Oh, very nice way of doing it!! That is wonderful! :) I do that too with my scarves sometimes in hiding my deep conditioning treatments!! It is nice then not having to worry about anyone noticing it! :D

maco
September 20th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Same coif, but with my hair taped:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8339/29189426174_34fc5de8da.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Ltnrsw)

You can see the gather ends up inside the hair ring when its worn this way https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8137/29817118525_c885e3d726.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MqQwwr)

It's Tuesday, and I taped it Saturday morning, so I guess I've finally got this hair taping thing figured out, in terms of getting it to stay in (it's a bit loose at the nape of the neck; need to work on that). Still need to get faster.

littlestarface
September 20th, 2016, 01:28 PM

What kind you wear? I always wear the black shayla, it's so wonderful on the hair nice and smooth material and never snags.

ummyahya
September 22nd, 2016, 02:02 AM
What kind you wear? I always wear the black shayla, it's so wonderful on the hair nice and smooth material and never snags.

I generally go for shayla as well, mostly in cotton gauze though... Can't bear the heat with regular polyester..... You? I was told that viscose makes miracles, but I never tried.

Seeshami
September 22nd, 2016, 03:22 AM
Eeep. Wrong buttons! Sorry for disruptive misposts

enting
September 22nd, 2016, 05:20 AM
Is it all right if I ask what the shayla is?
Viscose is generally very soft and very breathable. It's not at all like polyester, which makes me feel like I'm wrapped in plastic.

Deborah
September 22nd, 2016, 11:06 AM
I have never heard of 'shayla', but viscose is rayon, a nice breathable fabric made from cellulose, usually obtained from wood pulp. Polyester is a totally man-made fabric that can be very pretty but which does not breathe, and tends to feel hot.

littlestarface
September 22nd, 2016, 01:44 PM
I generally go for shayla as well, mostly in cotton gauze though... Can't bear the heat with regular polyester..... You? I was told that viscose makes miracles, but I never tried.

I wear the georgette ones you know like from yemen but my niqab is cotton I cannot stand polyester it would kill me here.

littlestarface
September 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Is it all right if I ask what the shayla is?
Viscose is generally very soft and very breathable. It's not at all like polyester, which makes me feel like I'm wrapped in plastic.

It's how we call scarf in arabia. They're light, air flow is lovely, black and see through but once on the head you can't see through it.

Pacific
September 24th, 2016, 07:16 AM
I cover daily with tichels for 3 years. The first 2 years in Germany and since 1 year in Israel.

In Germany I was the only woman who was covering in my area and at work I got some not so nice comments.

I think my hair is healthier since covering, it's not dry, no split ends and it never get tangled.

enting
September 27th, 2016, 06:46 AM
It's how we call scarf in arabia. They're light, air flow is lovely, black and see through but once on the head you can't see through it.

ah! I see, thank you. That does sound very comfortable to wear. (Now the part of me that is interested in linguistics wonders if shayla is in any way related to the word shawl.)
A lot of my scarves of all colors are see through, but not when they're on me. Some are a bit see through even when they're on my head, but those are usually white and my hair is brown.

wanderer743
September 28th, 2016, 09:27 AM
First I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my question, and I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you - college exam week just ended today and so I had to disappear to study for them the past few days, thus why I was unable to get back to you all till now.
Cg Thanks for the tip about bobby pins, I'll try it tonight and see if they hold my buff (although sidenote: I noticed yesterday when I wore my buff as a headband it was super tight on my head as if it was pulling my bangs and then by a few hours it slipped and I had to pull it off so don't know if the bobby pins will work with the tightness of the buff or be strong enough to hold it...maybe I should try them with a scarf first).
enting No I have not tried a velvet headband but I'll be sure to put it on my long list of things to try and maybe when I get into a little more money (or if I cave) or if my parents feel generous I'll get one and try it out.
Tasseldown thanks for the thoughts; I'm just a BSL so I might be able to get away with the presewn velvet strips at Garlands of Grace, so I'll look into that. Thank you

Kajzh
September 29th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Just popping in to share some photos of my head coverings. I do it for secular and pragmatic reasons: It stops people from harassing me on the street about my hair, it keeps strangers from touching me, and it also helps manage dry scalp in winter.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/450x450q90/923/qMvSmz.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/450x4500q90/921/s4d5Cd.jpg

truepeacenik
September 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM

Don't comb or brush before putting a scarf over the front. Or slather with gel, to make a grippy texture.

missrandie
September 29th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Because of the shape of my head and the slick nature of my hair, I have trouble keeping scarves on too. It seems like if I try to keep them at my hairline, they will want to slip off. So, I have to keep scarves, bucks, and other head coverings further down on my forehead. Also, I cover my ears. Of course, my ears are mostly why I cover anyway. I have Eustachian tube dysfunction in windy and cold conditions, and also when I run or cycle. Covering my ears helps immensely.

Rose115
September 29th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I love the vintage-y look of these, but I am worried sleeping in one regularly would cause hair loss more than protect my hair. Any testaments to this?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ijqa0n.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/rmqjac.jpg

enting
September 30th, 2016, 02:20 AM
Just popping in to share some photos of my head coverings. I do it for secular and pragmatic reasons: It stops people from harassing me on the street about my hair, it keeps strangers from touching me, and it also helps manage dry scalp in winter.

I love your style! Those colors really pop on you. (I love the crisscross style.) About keeping hair away from strangers' hands, that's definitely one of the reasons I feel more comfortable with wraps in public. I read all these stories of people's hair getting manhandled, or hairsticks being yanked and I think to myself "thank goodness I keep things under wraps! I never even thought about these dangers!" I also like that it keeps hair cleaner. I went out with a friend the other day and there was a man right next to us smoking. I had my hair exposed and all of a sudden I was worried about smoke getting in my hair and if I'd have to wash it... I don't have to worry about that as much when I have a covering on.

Kajzh
September 30th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Thank you! And it's soooo true about smoke protection! My roommates smoke and vape, and I HATE when my hair smells like it. Luckily keeping it covered helps prevent a lot of the smell from seeping through. Yikes!

Cg
September 30th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Where did you get those beautiful head covers?

hayheadsbird
September 30th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I love this thread!
Just been experimenting with the vast collection of scarves hanging in my wardrobe, and I have a few that can actually work.
Thank you everyone for the inspiring photos and posts 😄

Kajzh
September 30th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Where did you get those beautiful head covers?

They're plain neck scarves. All of them were gifted to me. The yellow one in my avatar is a handkerchief!

Cg
September 30th, 2016, 04:27 PM
They're plain neck scarves. All of them were gifted to me. The yellow one in my avatar is a handkerchief!

Tres chic.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 1st, 2016, 05:41 AM

Wow Kajzh you are truly beautiful... stunning. I never really notice your photos. I also love the look in scarves.
How do you tie/wrap your scarf?

Kajzh
October 1st, 2016, 12:48 PM
Wow Kajzh you are truly beautiful... stunning. I never really notice your photos. I also love the look in scarves.
How do you tie/wrap your scarf?
Thank you! ♡

I follow head wrapping tutorials from the ladies at Wrapunzel.com. They have a YouTube channel, and it's great!

Here is a tutorial for the zigzag one:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=FboQ7Zh3uyY

And the one with the birds is a made-up wrap that I threw together one morning before work. The blue base is an old infinity scarf that I never wear, and I made a basic wrap with that. Then the yellow part is a bandana that I just laid on top and tied at the nape!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM
Thank you Kajzh for sharing. You are a real sweetie. I shall watch and start learning how to drape scarves. You are my muse.

Tassledown
October 7th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I love your style! Those colors really pop on you. (I love the crisscross style.) About keeping hair away from strangers' hands, that's definitely one of the reasons I feel more comfortable with wraps in public. I read all these stories of people's hair getting manhandled, or hairsticks being yanked and I think to myself "thank goodness I keep things under wraps! I never even thought about these dangers!" I also like that it keeps hair cleaner. I went out with a friend the other day and there was a man right next to us smoking. I had my hair exposed and all of a sudden I was worried about smoke getting in my hair and if I'd have to wash it... I don't have to worry about that as much when I have a covering on.

I have to agree on this wholeheartedly. I have had so many people crit my fashion choices, the thought of being able to avoid it entirely by just tucking my hair out of sight is wonderful. I don't have any religious calling to cover either - I've considered it but it just doesn't stick when compared to the personal-level benefits I get from it.

One time I tried going out in just a cowl from garlands of grace, where the lower ends of my hair hung out when it first started getting really longer than the cover in question and I was on transit, leaned back - and very quickly sat up because I'd realized my hair was touching public surfaces. I had to drape it over my shoulder after that because I couldn't stop having the "Oh my GOD my hair just touched that" feelings. It was kind of hilarious but reiterated just how protective it can be to have a cover on.

I'm a bit sad that at work it's technically not allowed in the dresscode to wear a headcovering without claiming religous exemption. I technically could - I am religious - but I'm currently without a community to back me up and I'm nervous about trying to bring it up. Having my hair long enough to do more buns and other styles is helpful - especially all the techniques I've learned here at LHC - but it's just not the same.

ummyahya
October 7th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Of course, my ears are mostly why I cover anyway. I have Eustachian tube dysfunction in windy and cold conditions, and also when I run or cycle. Covering my ears helps immensely.

Then perhaps a cotton tube underscarf would be good for you? I tried them for a while, but if I cover my ears with both the underscarf and the hijab I stop hearing... :doh:

ummyahya
October 7th, 2016, 02:57 AM
I have had so many people crit my fashion choices, the thought of being able to avoid it entirely by just tucking my hair out of sight is wonderful.

This really resonates with me... Long hair sometimes becomes just an excuse for not very polite people to comment on...