PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with wet hair

Ailurophile
August 7th, 2016, 04:31 AM
So I'm trying to not blow-dry my hair, which is good when I don't leave the house because I can chill with it wet. ;) My only problem is when I go out I don't really want to have wet hair, so I want to try switching to washing at night, I'm just trying to work out how to wake up without a soaking wet pillow/bed? I could wash a bit earlier in the evening so it's dry before bed but I don't really want to sit around in my pyjamas for ages:rolleyes: How do any of you wash your hair in the evening/dry it overnight?

Marika
August 7th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I wash my hair after work and dinner (around 5-6 pm), so it's mostly dry before I go to bed. I just change my 'work clothes' to my clean 'lounge wear' (:D) after the shower. If I go to bed with wet hair, it never seems to dry and it gets extra-tangly rubbing against pillow.

Tosca
August 7th, 2016, 06:24 AM
I wash at night, and I put my wet hair up in some kind of claw clip held bun in the shower, and watch some TV with my hair up and a towel around my neck to catch the drips. After an hour or more, I will go to bed and take my wet but not dripping hair down. I will then fold my towel in half and put it on my pillow, lie down, and flip my loose hair over my pillow, out of the way. If it is especially cold, I will sometimes clip my hair up loosely and put a slouchy beanie on to keep warm. My hair usually dries by morning if I sleep with it out.

lapushka
August 7th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Whatever you do, put a towel down over your pillow! Don't just drench it. You'll be sorry for getting your bedding wet!

And blowdrying is not the enemy. Heat styling is. ;)

If I didn't have it blown dry, I'd have wet hair for over 8H, that's just not do-able, not for anyone, and can't be that healthy, at least not for my SD. I have it in a towel for 30-45 min., then airdry for 2-4H, then all that needs to happen is to diffuse it for 4/5 min. That's *all*!

Saproxylic
August 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I usually try to wash early enough, so it gets a good 20 minutes in turbie wrap and a bit of air drying time, so it's not drippy, cover my pillow with some extra cloth (folded up sheet, I don't like terry cloth for sleeping on as it leaves prints on my face) and drape my hair so it's more spread around instead of one big pile (and make sure the windows are closed and the room is not drafty, I usually like a cold bedroom, but not on wash days) and just zonk out. I usually wake up and need to detangle a little as I'm a restless sleeper, but I do get some extra root volume that way. However I am on the thin side of i, so the amount of water my hair holds isn't too huge.

lithostoic
August 7th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I wash my hair around 7 or 8 and is usually dry by 10. I start washing my hair before anything else in the shower so it's not dripping wet when I get out. After I wash it, I squeeze out the excess water with my hands. Then when it's time to get out, I do that again and then squeeze it once more with a towel. I then shake my head around a little top separate my hair. I shake my head and fan out my hair from underneath with my hands periodically.

If I just get out of the shower with it wet and don't touch it, it takes 5 or 6 hours to dry and there still might be a damp spot or two. Idk why, as my circumference is only 3.25.

RebekahE
August 7th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I wash my hair before bed because it's about the only time I have to do it. I put it in a towel when I get out of the shower and leave it on until I dry off, put lotion on and get dressed. Then I take it out and put my leave in conditioner and my leave in oil on. If I am going right to be I do a single loose braid and go to bed, if I have a little bit of time before I go to bed I will leave it loose until I go to bed. I have never really had a problem with it soaking my pillow. Although it is always damp when I take the braid out in the morning, but it's dry enough to comb it and fix it and off I go!

Cg
August 7th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I wash my hair in the sink, not the shower. That can be scheduled well before bed.

saralizzy1981
August 8th, 2016, 09:08 AM
You can also get a waterproof pillow cover, which I have and love. It zips up over your pillow, and you put a pillowcase over it. It keeps your pillow from getting mildew, which can happen if you sleep with wet hair often.

spidermom
August 8th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I wedge a pillow between bed frame and mattress, then drape my wet hair over the pillow I'm sleeping on. It sort of stays in a puddle between the 2 pillows. It's never fully dry by morning but close enough. Maybe it's because I have a window just above my pillows, but my pillow staying wet or mildew has never been a problem. I usually wrap my hair in a flannel pillowcase long enough to get the drippiness out before i go to bed with it wet.

ladonna
August 8th, 2016, 08:08 PM
I wash my hair before bed because it's about the only time I have to do it. I put it in a towel when I get out of the shower and leave it on until I dry off, put lotion on and get dressed. Then I take it out and put my leave in conditioner and my leave in oil on. If I am going right to be I do a single loose braid and go to bed, if I have a little bit of time before I go to bed I will leave it loose until I go to bed. I have never really had a problem with it soaking my pillow. Although it is always damp when I take the braid out in the morning, but it's dry enough to comb it and fix it and off I go!

This pretty much my hair routine also. I toss the damp braid over the pillow above my head.

Cherrys
August 8th, 2016, 08:28 PM
If I go to bed with wet hair, it looks really greasy the next day. So I'm always careful to dry in the AM.

MidnightMoon
August 8th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Ive never had any good experiences with washing my hair late in the evening/at night unless its a hot summer night and Im sleeping with my windows open OR the heat is on and at full blast lol. It always ends up piecey and wet and frizzy and whatnot.

Deborah
August 8th, 2016, 08:36 PM
I sometimes wash late. When I do, I put my hair up in a homemade turbie towel, like always, for a few minutes. Then I take it down, loosely braid it, put a hand towel over my pillow then go to bed. I keep a second hand towel beside the bed. If the first feels pretty wet, I toss it to the floor and put the dry one on in its place, and sleep. In the morning my hair is close to dry. I leave it down as I dress to finish drying. This works well for me, and the pillow stays fine. I never use any heat on my hair.

vampyyri
August 8th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I usually shower at night, throw it up in a turbie-twist, and let it down to air dry most of the way (80%) before braiding it for bed. Sometimes I have a few damp spots left in the morning, but I find it to be so much happier after being left semi-damp rather than dry.

Iamsiam
August 8th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Last time I went to bed with wet hair, I put it in a bun. The next morning, it was still wet and I made the mistake of bunning it again. 36 hours of damp hair. Not the best life decision I've ever made. I need to wash it earlier in the evening, but I always finish work at 9:30, so I have to schedule hair washing for my days off.... It's hard work I tells ya!