PDA

View Full Version : Fork vs. Stick(s)?

FoxFire
March 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
What makes you decide to use a fork as opposed to a stick or set of sticks? Do they hold better in some do's, or in some types of hair?

I am thinking of getting my first fork, but have only used sticks in the past. Thanks

Anje
March 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
I usually prefer a single stick, or a single wavelength pin (double-pointed knitting needle bent in half). My fork doesn't hold very well and is really too long for me. Maybe I need to look for a different one before I rule them out, though.

Nightshade
March 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
For me it depends on what I'm doing

Figure 8- Fork
Equilibrium Bun- (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1605)1 stick (though I often add a second for decoration)
Braided Rope Bun- Usually Amish pins, but I'd use a fork over sticks in this one if I had to pick between the two.
Chinese Bun- Stick (though I have seen it done with a really damn long fork

eadwine
March 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
It depends what I want here.. if I want a hold without question, then I pick a fork. If I have more time to fiddle I will take a stick :)

Curlsgirl
March 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
As my hair gets longer I find myself reaching for my forks more often. I like sticks for some things though like braided buns and sometimes I can get them to work for infinities. But when I want "rock-like" hold I use forks, usually for Figure 8s. I don't wear regular buns very often.

sapphire-o
March 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I have slippery hair so fork is my top choice for holding a bun. Sticks only work on very lucky days. :) I usually need to redo the bun often when using sticks. But if sticks work perfectly for your hair, forks are probably not necessary.

hrimfaxi
March 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
It depends what I want here.. if I want a hold without question, then I pick a fork. If I have more time to fiddle I will take a stick :)

This is usually the case for me as well. I have to make slightly tighter updos for sticks to hold solidly, which I sometimes do want and sometimes don't, so this also contributes.

Guenever
March 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
I hardly ever use pairs of sticks.. so it's either one stick or a fork..
Forks (and ficcares btw) are more for daily wear (I don't have that many -- but just ordered 2 etta mae forks by accident - oops!! :wink:) they're more secure than a single stick and just.. more everyday like^^ comfy and pretty without any fiddling.. (everyday buns: chinese buns, braided buns, KL knots etc)
A stick (especially with danglies/colors) is for special occasions or just a day when I want to do a bit more.. I've never, ever seen anybody in Denmark wearing hair sticks (or forks for that matter) so that's mostly what I wear when I go out.. it's special =) Among my friends I'm the one with the chop sticks and the weird, long hair, lol^^

Fork or stick? It all depends on my mood..

Delila
March 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
As my hair's gotten longer, I find I sometimes need to stabilize the center of the updo with a hair scroo, then insert my hair sticks.

With a hair fork, the updo doesn't seem to need the extra stability.

Alaia
March 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hair forks generally seem to provide a better hold. Ha I only have one but it holds like a rock.

Sticks I also like, quick and easy and they don't pull as much as my fork does.

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
depends on the style, but I am the odd one out- I hold figure 8's with a stick most of the time, and use forks more for other buns, but I can definitely put a looser simpler bun up with a fork and trust it to hold over a stick.. then again I have a lot of both and use both.. but for work, wiht my headset and buns made in a hurry I tend to go for the forks lately.. most of my sticks are fancier and I am afraid of catching the decors on top when taking my headset on and off at work...

When I start school I plan on just going with my mood.. thats what I do on days off- its which piece attracts me and then a bun based on that..

pookatrina
March 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
I prefer forks as the give me rock solid hold. Sticks are great, but don't have 10 hour hold in my slippy hair, forks hold for 10-12 hrs.

Patrycja
March 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Fork user here.I don't have any expensive ones yet but the plastic ones I use are great.I have one for half ups(as pictured in my siggy pic,but you can't see the fork) and the longer one I use in my cinnabuns for the entire hair length.I rarely use sticks because I'm so afraid I'll break the ones I have.Although,I still buy them :D

icydove
March 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Honestly, I have a hard time positioning the two sticks. Usually, I end up with one holding the updo and the other serving as decoration. With a fork, both prongs are holding the updo. If I wear hairsticks, I usually just wear one unless I'm doing a cinnabun.

LifeisAdventure
March 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
I always reach for my fork when doing a cinnabun. My hair is fine so without the uniform hold from the prongs across the bun, it simply won't stay up. But for most any other style I find sticks work better for me.

Neoma
March 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
I can secure almost any kind of wrapped bun with a single stick insert it through the bun, and it will stay in place all day. Sometimes, I will add a second stick for aesthetic appeal, but it's not necessary for hold.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/wrapped1.jpg

I can make my wrapped buns (usually a variation of a wrapped inside-out bun) look entirely different if I secure them from underneath rather than through. When I do this, I generally use a three- or four-prong fork.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/OregonJewelersfork--fixed2.jpg

jessie58
March 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I just have my first wooden fork and I find the opposite to many of you. I use sticks and have a rock solid hold. With the exception of a cinnabun, my fork will not hold any other bun or style. Maybe I need one with more prongs or longer? I thought I had my fork holding another type of bun the other day, but it eventually just slid right out. I've been able to get super hold with one or two sticks from day one. Strange.

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
i like the look of forks but my hair needs to get a bit longer first, so i stick with ..sticks!

intothemist1999
March 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sticks haven't worked for me. The one 'do they DID work for, I can't get to work any more.

I fairly recently bought a fork on the swap board. I just LOVE it! Beautiful and holds wonderfully.

This has got me wondering if maybe I need two sticks to get as good a hold as a fork.

Blueglass
March 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I don't do many buns but I find I like two long bobby pins and then I can use other things decoratively.

Pegasus
March 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
I find that forks are more versatile for me, either the two-prong or three-prong. Sticks look beautiful, but I'm pretty limited in what I can do with them right now.

Rae~
March 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Oooh, Neoma - I was just looking at those hairforks yesterday... and I have a question, if you don't mind. Are the tines 'bendy' at all, or fairly rigid?

TIA

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Oooh, Neoma - I was just looking at those hairforks yesterday... and I have a question, if you don't mind. Are the tines 'bendy' at all, or fairly rigid?

TIAI don't mind at all, Rae~. The tines are fairly rigid. I feared that they would be bendy, like wire, but they're not at all.

FoxFire
March 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
OK- so it seems like the forks hold better for most people. What is the advantage to a fork being curved (or straight)?

jessie58
March 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
OK- so it seems like the forks hold better for most people. What is the advantage to a fork being curved (or straight)?

I wanted to know this too. Is it purely comfort or function?

Rae~
March 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Many thanks, Neoma. :)

spidermom
March 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
For me, it's according to my mood. Or even more often, I'm limited to what I can find. I'm disorganized. I forget stuff.

What were we talking about?

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
FoxFire, I had a straight fork, and I didn't like it. It stuck out at weird angles on either side of my bun. A curved fork conforms to the shape of the head and, if you have it positioned correctly, it is ultra-comfy.

I'm sure that there must be people who prefer curved forks. I'd like to hear why they like them.

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
when i get a fork that doesn't snag i would probably like them. I'm not sure...
I love useing 1 stick, i never use 2.
But i like my updos secure so i do them tight, probably not a good thing.