PDA

View Full Version : what's bentonite?

August 5th, 2016, 06:31 AM
What's bentonite clay? I'm having problems with finding this locally, maybe it's called differently in europe? Is it green clay? Montmorillonite? Are these synonyms?

Anje
August 5th, 2016, 07:12 AM
According to wikipedia, it's mostly montmorillonite. It's also the main ingredient in clumping cat litter. :D

calmyogi
August 5th, 2016, 07:19 AM
According to wikipedia, it's mostly montmorillonite. It's also the main ingredient in clumping cat litter. :D

All I pictured just now was someone going home and smearing my cats litter all over their face lol.

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Where are you located? :) I'm in Europe too.

TatsuOni
August 5th, 2016, 08:06 AM
All I pictured just now was someone going home and smearing my cats litter all over their face lol.

I pictured someone going home dipping their hair in the litter box :laugh: Really rubbing it in the scalp...

August 5th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Where are you located? :) I'm in Europe too.

Poland

Haha, actually, couple years ago I read blogger who recommended face mask from it o_O (I mean not dirty litter, bentonite right from the packaging, lol).

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Poland

Haha, actually, couple years ago I read blogger who recommended face mask from it o_O (I mean not dirty litter, bentonite right from the packaging, lol).

Oh hi! :waving: I'm in Belgium, I think I added it to my info recently as I was always repeating myself. ;) :p

calmyogi
August 5th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I pictured someone going home dipping their hair in the litter box :laugh: Really rubbing it in the scalp...

Lol. I probably would have thought of that but I use it for my face so that was the first thing that came to mind. But if I ever can't find the stuff I buy I'll remember cat litter might work too >_<

calmyogi
August 5th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Oh hi! :waving: I'm in Belgium, I think I added it to my info recently as I was always repeating myself. ;) :p

So I had a blonde moment the other day and I had it in my head that Belgium was in Germany. I have no idea why I was thinking that... And my husband was like "no... Belgium is in Belgium..." Lol

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 12:35 PM
So I had a blonde moment the other day and I had it in my head that Belgium was in Germany. I have no idea why I was thinking that... And my husband was like "no... Belgium is in Belgium..." Lol

Yeah, it's a country of its own on the left of Germany.

turtlelover
August 5th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Cat litter actually makes a great facial mask....just be sure to use the unscented stuff, obviously! Hey, if people will put Monistat on their heads, what harm could a little bit of kitty litter do? LOL

calmyogi
August 5th, 2016, 01:02 PM
We really aren't weirdos. We promise lol

Obsidian
August 5th, 2016, 08:12 PM
bentonite is strong stuff, I use it occasionally on my face and it dries me up something terrible. Tried it on my hair once, though it might help my SD, worse thing ever, took weeks to get it normalized. White kaolin is much gentler and it mixes up easier.

Not sure if you can get this but its the bentonite I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014P8L9W/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1

Nothing wrong with using kitty litter instead. Lot easier to find and cheaper too, just toss some in a coffee grinder to powder it.

CurlyCap
August 5th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Depending on how much hair you have, I use Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay for my hair, dissolved in apple cider vinegar.

However, it's only 1-2 treatments for BSL or shorter hair. You can buy it in bulk from other vendors, but it's the typical gig of always hoping they send you high quality product.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Depending on how much hair you have, I use Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay for my hair, dissolved in apple cider vinegar.

However, it's only 1-2 treatments for BSL or shorter hair. You can buy it in bulk from other vendors, but it's the typical gig of always hoping they send you high quality product.

Isn't it a powder? :) You can only do 2 treatments max. with the powder in that big of a container? That puzzles me. :hmm:

August 31st, 2016, 01:37 AM
It is possible to wash with kaolin? Or just moisturize? It's way more available. Yeah, I was wondering if I need whole package of these cosmetic clays for waist hair! So, I got green clay from mokosh cosmetics, it says mont-something (damn french names!), illite and kaolin. So kinda... Mix? That's the best I could find. Grinding kitty litter... I'd need separate grinder for that, lol.

Since when Belgium is in Germany?? Haha.

Sapeli
August 31st, 2016, 11:58 AM
I have used both kaolin and rhassoul clays to wash my scalp. E.g. Logona has nice clays. I wouldn' t do a hair mask, as clay can be quite stripping unless hair is very oily. Kaolin is milder and might not wash all grease (if hair is very oily), but it suits better sensitive or dry scalp/skin. My clay washes have been quite diluted, like a small amount (tea spoon) of clay (my hair is thinnish, and different hairs require different amount, I suppose) and 0,5 dl water mixed and poured directly to scalp (and scalp only), quick massage and rinse. It might be better to start with a quick wash instead of a mask to see how it cleans your hair.

Same kind of clay-water liquid can be used to wash face and body and that I do a lot. Then I thought that why shouldn' t I try the same routine to my scalp. I'm WO now, but if my hair get too oily, then I clarify with clay wash.:stirpot::stirpot:

CurlyCap
August 31st, 2016, 04:51 PM
Isn't it a powder? :) You can only do 2 treatments max. with the powder in that big of a container? That puzzles me. :hmm:

You mix the powder with the ACV to make a sludge. Then you smoosh the sludge through your hair to your scalp, and then down your length. Then you let it dry to a hard surface and rinse out with plenty of water.

Since it's a thick sludge, it doesn't spread easily and I find the thin formulations don't clean as well.