PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Hair Regimen...

Etherielle
August 4th, 2016, 04:09 PM
My hair type is between 4a and 4b.

Here is the hair growth regimen that I want to begin:

MSM - Max dose daily
Gelatin - Max dose daily
Shapley's Original MTG use 2x/week
Olaplex number 3 done 2-3 times/week
Nzuri Elixir taken daily as recommended on bottle (orally)
No heat whatsoever, just curl stretching custards/healthy hair gels

What could I add to this regimen? Does this regimen seem like it would be effective?

I believe, based on being natural and using virtually no heat for years yet my hair remaining at exactly the same length (shoulder length), that I have a very short anagen phase. My goal is to extend my anagen phase as long as possible, so any additional suggestions for doing so would be very appreciated. I read that MSM can do this - can anything else?

Breakdown of each part:

MSM...To prolong anagen phase and increase hair growth.
Gelatin supplement...To thicken hair.
Shapley's MTG...Hair growth.
Olaplex 3...Dramatically reduce hair breakage.
Nzuri Elixir...This is basically a prenatal and hair vitamin in liquid form (for better absorption).
No Heat...Reduce breakage.

Also considering using Jamaican Black Castor oil some months to alternate with the Shapley's MTG. Might even infuse the castor oil with bamboo extract, cayenne, and other growth-promoting things.

My goal is classic length hair.

All of this costs quite a bit of money to do consistently (Olaplex is like $70, Nzuri is like $40...), so I'm going to have to save up a bit to get in a good place where I can do it, but I'm definitely going to give this regimen a go, if it is good.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you.

vampyyri
August 4th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I'm not exactly sure if supplementing would be the answer, unless you're deficient in certain supplements.

What does your hair routine look like? It's not likely that your terminal length is at shoulder length.

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 04:18 AM
What do you mean by "virtually" no heat. Is it monthly? Because if you use it on a high heat setting, it might be too much even then and could cause a lot of breakage from that.

I'd also be careful supplementing. I take a regular multivitamin (70% iron 100% zinc and other necessary vitamins) and it is *enough*. No need for extra things.

This is a mystery to me. It shouldn't be your terminal! I'd cut out more heat and see how you fare.
Do you have any white dots up the hair strands? That is heat damage, and a sure sign the heat is too much.

Angelica
August 5th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I also have a short terminal - although it is past shoulders. My hair has been exactly the same way as it was in school. A long long time ago now, I'm 52 and my hair hasn't changed regardless of how it was treated. Very fine, thin and poker straight. Regardless of how many vitamins etc., you take, I do believe genetics play a major part in the hair growth. No matter what you do, if genetics say you can't have the long flowing locks you crave for you won't get it. At my age though, I am supplementing now as I am menopausal, and my poor mother has nearly lost all her hair :( I know she has a calcium deficiency and suffered hair damage at a hairdressers some years back not to mention all the stress she has had in her life. So stress and calcium could be a factor with some believe. I am supplementing now with Vitamin D and Hair Volume supplements. I read so much contradiction on here regarding vitamin supplements, some advocate it others don't. I guess you have to go with what you think might help you. Supplements sometimes don't show their results until one month to three months of taking them. Etherielle I wish you luck in your hair regime and at least you have the thickness that I can only dream of :)

H o n є y ❤
August 5th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I'm not so sure it's healthy to take all those supplements at once. They are other things that could be stalling your growth like rough handling, splits/breakage, protective styles that are too tight, combing, etc. Could you tell us more about your hair regimen?

Deborah
August 5th, 2016, 04:39 PM
What you list is more of a nutrition list than a hair care list. We cannot tell whether any of those things will make your hair grow longer or not. Some folks find that vitamins and other supplements help them to grow their hair longer or faster or thicker or healthier. But for others the supplements make little or no difference.

The folks here will be better able to advise you on how you actually care for your hair. What do you wash it with? How often? How do you remove the tangles from your hair (we refer to it as detangling)? Do you dye or bleach it, or change the color in some other way? If so, what do you use? How often? Do you use something to help your hair be easier to detangle, such as conditioner or oil or maybe something else? Do you use heat on your hair, such as blow-drying or heat curling or heat straightening? Any of these things can have a big impact on how long you are able to grow your hair. If you explain what you now do to your hair, we can probably help you find what may be causing your hair growth to be limited.

It is not likely that you are at terminal length. Probably something is causing your hair to break off or be damaged in some other way. With more information from you we may be better able to offer helpful advice.

Good luck!:flower:

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 04:45 PM
What you list is more of a nutrition list than a hair care list. We cannot tell whether any of those things will make your hair grow longer or not. Some folks find that vitamins and other supplements help them to grow their hair longer or faster or thicker or healthier. But for others the supplements make little or no difference.

The folks here will be better able to advise you on how you actually care for your hair. What do you wash it with? How often? How do you remove the tangles from your hair (we refer to it as detangling)? Do you dye or bleach it, or change the color in some other way? If so, what do you use? How often? Do you use something to help your hair be easier to detangle, such as conditioner or oil or maybe something else? Do you use heat on your hair, such as blow-drying or heat curling or heat straightening? Any of these things can have a big impact on how long you are able to grow your hair. If you explain what you now do to your hair, we can probably help you find what may be causing your hair growth to be limited.

It is not likely that you are at terminal length. Probably something is causing your hair to break off or be damaged in some other way. With more information from you we may be better able to offer helpful advice.

Totally agree with this! :)
A little more info might be useful!

MidnightMoon
August 5th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I must comment Im a bit unsure about your hair goal. 4b hair are very small ringlets, basically afro hair, and even if strands actually grow long it might not look like classic length... I cant imagine what length should your hair be to actually look classic. Heat is a definite no, specially with fragile hair. Imagine burning your skin with a straightener or blow dryer several times... the wound might never even heal properly. Hair wont restore itself.

animetor7
August 6th, 2016, 02:13 AM

a
I also agree with this. Hair is affected by our general health and nutrition, but taking lots of supplements probably isn't the best answer for improved hair growth, it's likely more about something in your treatment of the hair itself. Also if you haven't already, I would check out some of the groups and threads that are specific to your hair type or for curly hair. I know that curly hair requires much different care than straight hair, and that straight hair care is generally more talked about. I also know that curly hair tends to be dry, so perhaps look into coconut or argan oil and conditioner only or condition-wash-condition cleansing. Good luck to you on your hair care journey. :)

leayellena
July 22nd, 2017, 10:17 AM
1. Shampoo - 1 bottle 3 months = 2 3:2= 0.5 https://www.dm.de/alverde-naturkosmetik-shampoo-glanz-p4010355306432.html
2. Conditioner - 2.45 per month? Or my coney Cien 1.95 https://www.dm.de/alverde-naturkosmetik-haarkur-glanz-p4010355212108.html
3. Mask - 2.85 twice a year, using only once a week
4. Leave in - 8 https://www.rossmann.de/produkte/cantu/shea-butter-leave-in-conditioning-repair-cream-haarkur/0856017000126.html ( how to use it? only on summer? I wear a hair cover on winter season because I can't stand the cold)
13.8 euro. The haul
8.65 to 10 per month I can afford to spend on my hair.
I've read the product descriptions:
1. that professional hair masks are usable just like conditioner: 2-3 min.
I've seen LHCers who use Coney conditioners and whatever shampoo they happen to buy.
Someone who speaks German please help me: what is the difference between Haarkur and Hair mask if on both bottles it's written the same "only for 2-3 min."?

Forget any experiment and use everything from Balea. (Like haartraum shows in her video)

akurah
July 22nd, 2017, 12:41 PM
My suggestion might not be popular, but I'd dump the vitamins. You're just making really expensive pee.

How you care for your hair is more important in growing it, as others say. Friction from brushing can cause damage. Friction from too tight hair ties can cause damage. Always wearing it down can cause damage. How often you do or do not wash may affect hair fragility, and in some cases, also cause damage. Using heat can cause damage unless it's a blow dryer at quite low temperature, and even that the jury is out on.

My question, which you did not address in your original post, is do you trim?

Many people complaining about their hair not growing are trimming far more than they realize.

Temme
July 22nd, 2017, 12:56 PM
Is it possible that OP's terminal is SL because of how curly their hair is? Is your hair shoulder length when curly or straight? About how long is it when you *gently* pull it straight?

likelikepenny
July 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM
Nothing is listed about OP's daily hair practices. I highly doubt that their anagen phase is that short, rather that their hair could be breaking off from rough handling and lack of moisture.

*Wednesday*
July 22nd, 2017, 01:23 PM
My hair type is between 4a and 4b.

Here is the hair growth regimen that I want to begin:

MSM - Max dose daily
Gelatin - Max dose daily
Shapley's Original MTG use 2x/week
Olaplex number 3 done 2-3 times/week
Nzuri Elixir taken daily as recommended on bottle (orally)
No heat whatsoever...

MSM, you need pure top quality like, for example Optimsm. It is a trademark you will see on items containing MSM. Research your origin. MSM is not created equal. Also, the body only utilizes 1500 mgs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 22nd, 2017, 02:31 PM
I personally think you're over doing it. Drop the vitamins, quit the Olaplex treatments. Make a basic routine to start with and slowly incorporate and experiment.
Retain moisture and balance protein, wear hair up and away and protected. Eat right and get plenty of sleep/rest. Stress is not good for growth and stressing yourself and your scalp out with all these different things you really dont need can impede your growth. Plus you're wasting your money, no offense. But vitamins dont work unless you're not taking care of yourself/are deficient in vitamins.

Figure out a trim "schedule". I can go about 6 months without trimming naturally but eventually need a large amount trimmed off from my ends because I stretched my trims too long. So I found micro trimming works a bit better for me. But sometimes we also trim too often, so figure out what your hair needs.

Growing hair is a journey, not a race. Do not try to push your body and over -do it and do too much to "increase" potential growth.
Because in the end, its not good for you and it does not make this process of growing fun - it makes it stressful. Relax and be patient.

Hairkay
July 22nd, 2017, 02:56 PM
Is it possible that OP's terminal is SL because of how curly their hair is? Is your hair shoulder length when curly or straight? About how long is it when you *gently* pull it straight?

I doubt we could answer that question since the OP isn't sure about the hair type. They say 4a/b but under member it's described as type 3c.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2017, 03:03 PM
Someone who speaks German please help me: what is the difference between Haarkur and Hair mask if on both bottles it's written the same "only for 2-3 min."?

Haarkur basically is a deep conditioner or hair mask, yes.

leayellena
July 23rd, 2017, 12:27 AM
Haarkur basically is a deep conditioner or hair mask, yes.

thank you very much, now I know how to use my new haul next month :)