PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shampoo Healthy?

QuietVixen
August 4th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to this site, despite lurking and reading the forums for probably a good year. I was curious about using baby shampoo to clean hair, has anybody tried this? Also could if anyone has tried baby shampoo and sulfate free shampoo could they please compare the two for their hair? I know everyone's hair acts differently, but I'd like to hear different opinions. :)

I've heard from people that baby shampoo is gentler on hair because it's produced for babies, but I don't know if it's healthier for hair in general. I've been using baby shampoo for approximately 2-3 weeks and it seems decent. The baby shampoo makes my hair softer, but my scalp seems drier and itchier than before. I've also checked the bottle and it contains sulfates. I've used sulfate shampoo in the past without obtaining a dry scalp, so perhaps my hair just doesn't like baby shampoo? My scalp normally never gets dry or itchy and I was curious if it could be an indicator of damage/irritation despite getting softer hair? I don't have any other symptoms other than the itchy, dry scalp. My scalp changes aren't that severe that I would immediately stop using baby shampoo.

Thank you all for reading my post; I know I tend to blab a bit in it.

lithostoic
August 4th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Read the ingredients on baby shampoo. You'd be surprised to see that it's no different from regular "adult" shampoo. Why anyone would use that stuff on their baby is beyond me.

vampyyri
August 4th, 2016, 01:19 PM
It's about as harsh as a clarifying shampoo, it's not gentle at all!

Decoy24601
August 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I've heard it's very harsh too. I think the main reason why it's "baby" shampoo is because it has a higher pH so it won't sting a baby's eyes.

Garnetgem
August 4th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I have used it in the past but it gave me terrible residue and my scalp was not happy either..you often see babies with cradle cap like a build up it makes me wonder if the residue in the shampoo plays a part...but as mentioned it is quite harsh only the scented smell seems mild about it.

QuietVixen
August 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for the kind responses! I actually read the bottle before purchasing it, but I figured since it's made for babies it would be less damaging. May I please ask if anyone has any alternate cleaning options to the shampoo? Has anyone tried sulfate free shampoos or have any advice for cleaning hair? I was thinking of trying sulfate free shampoo, but I have yet to find any locally to test on my hair.

I'm so glad I made an account instead of lurking forums forever! Everyone is friendly and offers great input!

Wavelength
August 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
It's gentle on eyes -- hence "no more tears" -- but definitely not gentle on the scalp.

Anje
August 4th, 2016, 01:50 PM
It's gentle on eyes -- hence "no more tears" -- but definitely not gentle on the scalp.

This. Baby shampoo is formulated to not be so irritating if it gets in the eyes. It's really not optimal for scalp or hair, just a better option for wiggly babies who really don't have much hair anyway.

samanthaa
August 4th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for the kind responses! I actually read the bottle before purchasing it, but I figured since it's made for babies it would be less damaging. May I please ask if anyone has any alternate cleaning options to the shampoo? Has anyone tried sulfate free shampoos or have any advice for cleaning hair? I was thinking of trying sulfate free shampoo, but I have yet to find any locally to test on my hair.

I'm so glad I made an account instead of lurking forums forever! Everyone is friendly and offers great input!

If you purchased it and didn't want to waste it, you could try diluting your baby's shampoo with water?

Many people are successful on sulfate-free, just as there are some people who swear by sulfates. You do have to experiment, as well as give your scalp enough time to adjust before deciding if a method is right for you. Your hair might initially be more greasy than usual switching to sulfate-free, as you're not stripping away the oils with harsh sulfates as you were before. I use shampoo bars (sulfate free), which is yet another option you may consider.

sarahthegemini
August 4th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Have you thought about conditioner-washing? I have horribly oily hair and conditioner cleaned it wonderfully. The only reason I went back to shampoo was because I had to use so much manipulation that it was breaking hairs at my scalp. I keep meaning to try it again without so much 'rubbing'

lapushka
August 4th, 2016, 03:12 PM
It all depends on the ingredients. If you aren't sure of a shampoo brand or type, just ask here, and we'll tell you if it's sulfate-free or not. Sulfate-free might be the route you're wanting to take.

Sulfate-free doesn't work for everyone, though, just as sulfates don't work for everyone. It's kind of an experiment you'll have to conduct for yourself. You might also want to try CO-washing, which is even more gentle. There are either specific CO-washes out there, or you can use a plain conditioner. Also something to experiment with.

I couldn't go sulfate-free or do CO-washing due to seborrheic dermatitis aka SD (that means I need harsh cleansers).

gthlvrmx
August 4th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I actually use baby shampoo, and no, the pH thing most likely isn't true, test it out yourself. Buy some pH strips and test the shampoo and see for yourself if the shampoo is more acidic or alkaline. From my experience, the baby shampoo I use is too gentle (yes, gentle) because the next day, my scalp stinks. One other thing, I've been using this shampoo for a few months now, but my hair now has more split ends and breakage at around mid back length. Is it the shampoo, I don't know, It could be a couple of things (I live in a dry area) but I know I didn't have this problem when I was CO washing for 1 or 2 years before but the build up from the conditioner was not fun. So many tangles when I switched styles!

meteor
August 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to this site, despite lurking and reading the forums for probably a good year. I was curious about using baby shampoo to clean hair, has anybody tried this? Also could if anyone has tried baby shampoo and sulfate free shampoo could they please compare the two for their hair? I know everyone's hair acts differently, but I'd like to hear different opinions. :)

Welcome aboard! :cheer:

I've tried a few baby shampoos and wasn't impressed, to be honest, especially by the really gentle, not very effective cleansing action, IMHO. (Disclaimer: I prefer to wash infrequently but very thoroughly, so that I can limit all that wet manipulation and drying time, so I gravitate towards more clarifying formulas for shampoos...)

Baby shampoo is usually designed to be a no-tears shampoo, which could mean the pH can't be very low... this, in turn, could be a problem for hair, esp. processed hair, which thrives on more acidic shampoos and conditioners/treatments, but try and see how your own hair responds.
The bigger issue for me is that babies' scalps don't produce much oil at all compared to teenagers and adults, and baby shampoos are not designed for removing lots of oils and certainly not designed for removing build-up from heavy conditioners, products and such.

As for comparing them to sulfate-free shampoos... there are just so many sulfate-free varieties out there.... so many cleansing ingredients and formulations based on different combos of ingredients... Some are too gentle for me, but I found some of them can actually be pretty harsh, especially those SCS-based ones, which I personally wouldn't even call sulfate-free, but that's how they are sometimes marketed...
And there are some clarifying formulas that are sulfate-free and sulfate-free formulas for oily scalps, too, but I've never seen a baby shampoo formula that I would consider suitable for clarifying needs or for oily scalps, for example.

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 05:28 AM
I've tried a few baby shampoos and wasn't impressed, to be honest, especially by the really gentle, not very effective cleansing action, IMHO. (Disclaimer: I prefer to wash infrequently but very thoroughly, so that I can limit all that wet manipulation and drying time, so I gravitate towards more clarifying formulas for shampoos...)

Same here. I weekly wash, so it has to be a harsh cleanser (SD as well, and oily), and I suds up twice with the same shampoo (rinse out a little (real little), then re-suds the remainder), so that helps too.

QuietVixen
August 5th, 2016, 06:21 AM
All the responses are extremely helpful! I've attempted CO washing in past for two months, and my scalp hated the build up despite trying to clarify it. I also try to stretch washes to once or twice a week, and that works wonderfully for me. I don't think I'll be using anymore baby shampoo again. I wouldn't want to put more damaging products in my hair!

Today, I'll be researching sulfate free shampoo articles and different ingredients to avoid. There's so many chemicals in shampoo! I couldn't even say what 95% of them are! I've been reading about SMT and that sounds really interesting to test; I'd need a clarifying agent to clean my hair first. I'm planning to try SMT only after I've found and tested a shampoo/no poo method for a month or two first to see if they benefit my hair. I'm still open to sulfate free shampoos. I'm going to the store later to look at ingredients and brands of sulfate free shampoo, I'll be sure to update later with what I find! I won't be purchasing anything, just browsing to get information. Does anyone have any advice for looking at the shampoo or what to avoid? Also could anyone give a time frame for how long to test a product/method? I've been testing each new product (one at a time) for a month to see how it impacts my hair, but I don't know if I should go longer or shorter on the time frame. Thanks for the advice again! :)

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 07:59 AM
All the responses are extremely helpful! I've attempted CO washing in past for two months, and my scalp hated the build up despite trying to clarify it. I also try to stretch washes to once or twice a week, and that works wonderfully for me. I don't think I'll be using anymore baby shampoo again. I wouldn't want to put more damaging products in my hair!

Today, I'll be researching sulfate free shampoo articles and different ingredients to avoid. There's so many chemicals in shampoo! I couldn't even say what 95% of them are! I've been reading about SMT and that sounds really interesting to test; I'd need a clarifying agent to clean my hair first. I'm planning to try SMT only after I've found and tested a shampoo/no poo method for a month or two first to see if they benefit my hair. I'm still open to sulfate free shampoos. I'm going to the store later to look at ingredients and brands of sulfate free shampoo, I'll be sure to update later with what I find! I won't be purchasing anything, just browsing to get information. Does anyone have any advice for looking at the shampoo or what to avoid? Also could anyone give a time frame for how long to test a product/method? I've been testing each new product (one at a time) for a month to see how it impacts my hair, but I don't know if I should go longer or shorter on the time frame. Thanks for the advice again! :)

The whole Shea Moisture line is sulfate-free, I think. Yep. I doubt there's much else in regular stores. Garnier is sulfates, Pantene is sulfates. Herbal Essences = sulfates. VO5 is sulfates. Suave = sulfates.

meteor
August 5th, 2016, 08:30 AM

The Natural Haven Bloom has a few good short posts on this subject:
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/06/myth-or-fact-sulfate-shampoo-causes.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/06/myth-or-fact-sulfate-shampoo-breaks.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/03/natural-haven-on-sulfates-in-shampoo.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/are-sulfate-free-shampoos-really.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/sulfate-free-shampoos-genuinely-gentle.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/sulfate-free-shampoos-least-and-most.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/06/alternatives-to-sulfate-shampoos.html

Personally, I wouldn't completely avoid sulfates (at least for clarifying sessions, even if they are very infrequent), unless the skin reacts to sulfates, of course, or the hair was chemically processed in a way that it benefits from avoiding/limiting sulfates (e.g. keratin straightening, etc).

Obsidian
August 5th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I also had bad luck with baby shampoos but I can use them to clarify, especially the cheap stuff as its stronger then my normal clarifying shampoos. I did try sulfate free for awhile, the one I liked best was loreal everpure line. It lathers really well, smells nice without being overpowering and left my hair super soft.

If I didn't need sulfates to keep my SD in check, I would still be using the loreal.

mermaid lullaby
August 5th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Hello there, and welcome!

I'm finding that, "the hair science thread" is the one thread I visit the most for information. I'm not sure how to hyperlink, but if you googled and type in: the hair science thread long hair community.
It should pop it up.

For my preference, I tend to like sulfate shampoo over nonsulfate. To me, the sulfates didn't matter so much as long as I diluted the shampoo down.say about 1 tbl per 32 oz.
-I avoid build up which are hard to wash out such as, water soluble ingredients.
-Cones are ok, as long as they can be washed out easily.
I think, that's all there is in shampoo really.

One month to experiment seems good to me. Although if a shampoo is not working for you, just move on and don't wait. One way to tell are the split ends and it feels dry and hard. Usually diluting helps with those problems. Should feel clean but not dry either.

Shepherdess
August 5th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I was trying to find some good shampoos not long ago too. Some shampoos claim to be sulfate free, but still contain sulfonates, which can be just as stripping as sulfates. My favorite sulfate free shampoos are Giovanni (blackberry & coconut milk), and Dessert Essence (though does contain coco-sulfate, but I find a small amount to be cleansing and gentler on my hair than other types of sulfate shampoos). SheaMoisture shampoo is extremely gentle; I have had it for a few years and it smells and feels so nice, though if you want something that cleans oils and buildup, I might not recommend this, since I haven't found it very helpful for myself in cleansing, but maybe it works better for different people. :)

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I was trying to find some good shampoos not long ago too. Some shampoos claim to be sulfate free, but still contain sulfonates, which can be just as stripping as sulfates. My favorite sulfate free shampoos are Giovanni (blackberry & coconut milk), and Dessert Essence (though does contain coco-sulfate, but I find a small amount to be cleansing and gentler on my hair than other types of sulfate shampoos). SheaMoisture shampoo is extremely gentle; I have had it for a few years and it smells and feels so nice, though if you want something that cleans oils and buildup, I might not recommend this, since I haven't found it very helpful for myself in cleansing, but maybe it works better for different people. :)

That is good to know because I had my eye on the JBCO clarifying shampoo and was wondering about it. Not my kind of thing then, for sure. I need something to really get in there and remove oils and buildup. Harsh cleansers.

QuietVixen
August 5th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I agree with your opinion on Shepherdess' post. I was thinking of looking into Shea Moisture products today, but I still need a clarifying agent to clean out oils. My hair commonly accepts shampoo fine, but the baby shampoo was way too harsh.

Shepherdess
August 5th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I haven't tried that particular JBCO shampoo from SheaMoisture, perhaps it would be better than the one that I sometimes use, though I am pretty sure that none of their products would have anything harsh in their ingredients, or at least from my experience. :shrug: I love the SheaMoisture product line, since they are all natural and smell so nice, so after I use up my current bottle of their shea moisture shampoo, I might try out that other one to test and see if it cleans any better. :)

When it comes to clarifying, I sometimes use "Kiss My Face big body for fine hair" shampoo, since it is a bit stronger than my other shampoos. It has C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which is very similar to sodium lauryl sulfate in harshness I guess from what I have read in certain articles (some say it is gentler), though I usually dilute it a bit, and only when I absolutely need to clarify, and it seems fine. It doesn't lather up as well as most sulfate shampoos, which I am guessing means it doesn't have as high a concentration of the sulfonate in it, perhaps? Maybe a good option if you can't find a shampoo gentle enough would be to dilute a brand of shampoo that you like alright? Since diluting seems to make it a little milder on the hair. :)

ETA: Here is an article that describes harsher and milder sulfates that I found to be helpful: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlysuzy-qa-which-sulfates-are-safer-than-the-others/

Cherrys
August 5th, 2016, 01:54 PM
One time Burt's Bees baby products were 25% off in the Cracker Barrel store (bear with me), so I tried the shampoo. It left my hair feeling staticky and kind of straw-like and sticky at the same time. I wouldn't use it again. I think I heard somewhere that the pH is more alkaline than you want on your hair, but don't quote me.

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I agree with your opinion on Shepherdess' post. I was thinking of looking into Shea Moisture products today, but I still need a clarifying agent to clean out oils. My hair commonly accepts shampoo fine, but the baby shampoo was way too harsh.

Maybe think of the Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo? Comes in a big bottle, I believe and doesn't cost a lot.

QuietVixen
August 5th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the opinions and articles everyone! I searched a Walmart and found two different kinds of sulfate shampoo. One was full of sodium (chemical name) chemicals. The other had more extracts and oils than the first. I actually took pictures only of the backs of the bottles for the ingredients, if I find out the brands I'll post them.

The articles about sulfates were very enlightening. I'm going to see if I can compare the amount and types of ingredients in the baby shampoo and the other sulfate shampoo that didn't dry my scalp to see if there's an ingredient that causes it. I'm planning to go back to the sulfate shampoo I used before the baby shampoo because it was less harsh. I may dilute it though if I notice any negative differences to my scalp.

Obsidian
August 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I second suave daily clarifying if you want a good sulfate shampoo. I use it for clarifying or anytime I get especially dirty/oily. Its never dried my hair out and it has a nice light scent.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 02:24 AM
The articles about sulfates were very enlightening. I'm going to see if I can compare the amount and types of ingredients in the baby shampoo and the other sulfate shampoo that didn't dry my scalp to see if there's an ingredient that causes it. I'm planning to go back to the sulfate shampoo I used before the baby shampoo because it was less harsh. I may dilute it though if I notice any negative differences to my scalp.

Which one was that. If that was working great, then why change it up? First rule, always go back to what worked. ;)

QuietVixen
August 6th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Which one was that. If that was working great, then why change it up? First rule, always go back to what worked. ;)

Thanks for the response and advice. The shampoo I was using prior was Pert Plus Fresh 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner. It's good, but I still feel like my hair could be better. It tends to make my hair flat and have a coated consistency, but I'll probably go back to that next time I wash my hair. I enjoy it a lot more than baby shampoo.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the response and advice. The shampoo I was using prior was Pert Plus Fresh 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner. It's good, but I still feel like my hair could be better. It tends to make my hair flat and have a coated consistency, but I'll probably go back to that next time I wash my hair. I enjoy it a lot more than baby shampoo.

Yeah, maybe it's because it's a 2-in-1. Do they have regular shampoo in the Pert brand? Maybe try that. :)

QuietVixen
August 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Yeah, maybe it's because it's a 2-in-1. Do they have regular shampoo in the Pert brand? Maybe try that. :)

I've checked all the Pert products at Walmart, and it seems Pert only has shampoo and conditioner 2-in-1 products.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I've checked all the Pert products at Walmart, and it seems Pert only has shampoo and conditioner 2-in-1 products.

Maybe try a Pantene or Herbal Essences shampoo. The Pantene Aqua Light + their volumizing shampoo are without silicones, but they all contain sulfates. I'm not sure if that's the direction you're going in right now, or whether or not you're looking for sulfate-free?

Temme
August 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Sulfates vs. non-sulfates vs. green eggs and ham really depends on the person. Personally, I've tried sulfate shampoos, sulfate-free shampoos, baby shampoos, oliy hair shampoos, even co-washing, and they all were exactly the same (except for one brand of sulfate-free shampoo that left my hair greasy).

Seriously, how did co-washing with multiple different MOISTURE conditioners strip my hair as much as Pantene shampoo? I'm still angry about that as I know co-washing is a miracle for many.

I believe two weeks is a bit of a magic time frame, for hair experiments although I've also heard that it takes two weeks to form a new habit, two weeks to fully adjust to a vegan diet, etc.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Sulfates vs. non-sulfates vs. green eggs and ham really depends on the person. Personally, I've tried sulfate shampoos, sulfate-free shampoos, baby shampoos, oliy hair shampoos, even co-washing, and they all were exactly the same (except for one brand of sulfate-free shampoo that left my hair greasy).

Seriously, how did co-washing with multiple different MOISTURE conditioners strip my hair as much as Pantene shampoo? I'm still angry about that as I know co-washing is a miracle for many.

I believe two weeks is a bit of a magic time frame, for hair experiments although I've also heard that it takes two weeks to form a new habit, two weeks to fully adjust to a vegan diet, etc.

All depends on how often you wash. If you're a weekly washer, at least give it a month. If you're a 2x a week washer, 2 weeks, etc. ...

Carolyn
August 6th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Baby shampoo is harsh and drying. It's made to get rid of cradle cap in babies. I've tried Johnsons and California Baby. Both with the same results. It's like using a clarifying shampoo. I would advise staying away from it.

QuietVixen
August 6th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Maybe try a Pantene or Herbal Essences shampoo. The Pantene Aqua Light + their volumizing shampoo are without silicones, but they all contain sulfates. I'm not sure if that's the direction you're going in right now, or whether or not you're looking for sulfate-free?

Well, I've already the sulfate shampoo with decent results, thanks for advice! I'll look into both if I find them at a store! I'm not really sure what my stance on sulfates are, but considering the Pert 2-in-1 was decent I'll give sulfates a try. I think I just need to test out stuff. If anything I'll try one shampoo and I can always switch to another if the first one is damaging.

QuietVixen
August 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Update: I tried a new shampoo and SMT to help my hair. I think both may have reduced dryness and the itchiness.

I picked up a Loreal sulfate free intense nourishing shampoo and ingredients to attempt a modified SMT. I didnt have aloe Vera gel or juice, so I substitute coconut oil instead. My modified SMT was 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, and 1 part coconut oil. I showered and shampooed twice, once I got out I heated my SMT for 15 seconds, slathered it on my head, and left it on under a shower cap for 45 minutes. My hair is now rinsed out and dry.

Results: My scalp has stopped feeling itchy and it's still a little dry around my roots, but it's an improvement. I mostly did the SMT to cure the itchiness because when I was shopping earlier I couldn't stop thinking about the constant itchy sensation of my scalp! I'll add the SMT back once I try the Loreal shampoo for a month to see if the only shampoo is beneficial factor.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've learned baby shampoo is not for me!

Dark40
August 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Welcome QuietVixen! I think Baby Shampoo is the healthiest shampoo for the hair as you are growing it out!