PDA

View Full Version : Do you trim your own hair or go to a stylist?

StephanieZ
August 3rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Hello all!!

I'm wondering how many folks just have their spouse or friend trim their (really long) hair or do you DIY or go to the stylist?

My hair is long (between waist and hip length), thick (4.7" circumference pony tail), and pretty much all one length. (There are some shorter pieces along the front of my face, but those are just growing out . . . So the cut itself would be just a smooth straight (slightly curved?) line across my back.

I have a stylist who I really like. He's a great guy. I went about once a year for a trim + highlights for many years. Then a year ago, I "went wild" and asked him to dye my hair all red! He did, and I loved it, but then I wasn't as happy with the following re-do jobs every 6-8 weeks since then. I never again got the bold, happy, sparkling red that I'd had at first. We talked, and he tried, but I was never thrilled.

So . . . last week, I decided that if I'm not thrilled with the salon hair color, why am I spending half a day and $160 every 6-8 weeks on it? So, then, I bought henna and cancelled my color touch up appointment. I love the henna! Love the color! Hair feels great! It even covered my brown roots nicely and looks even and nice everywhere! My plan is to re-touch roots-only every few weeks (with a light gloss over the length).

But, I do sort of need a trim, too. But I'm dreading facing my stylist having DIY'ed my color. He might kill me. I'm feeling rather chicken. So, now I'm thinking of asking my husband to trim the ends for me, so I don't have to face Rick too soon. I had him do it years ago, and he's a pretty competent fellow, so I think he could do it just fine. If I do ask him to do it, does anyone have a tutorial that I can link him to or give him some clear guidelines? I mean, "just cut across in a straight line -- not too much" seems rather basic, lol. Any special scissors I need? (I have some sharp hair scissors that came in a hair cutting kit I bought about 15 years ago, but they seem to work fine for the kids' hair cuts . . .)

Anyway, if any of y'all DIY your hair trims, can you give me some basic rules/guidelines that I can share with my husband? And links to any special tools/scissors/etc that would make DIY cutting my thick hair most efficient?

Thanks so much!!

calmyogi
August 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm sure a lot of people are going to point you towards feye's hair trimming guide. If you google it it will pop up.

Decoy24601
August 3rd, 2016, 03:55 PM
I trim my own hair and use Feye's method. My hair is just past TBL now and I have a 5" ponytail circumference and haven't had any issues with this method, other than keeping my ponytail tight enough towards my ends because I have layers.

It doesn't really matter what specific hair scissors you use, as long as they are sharp enough. (I got a $25 pair off of amazon and they're very sharp).

veex
August 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Stylist for everything. Tried a do it myself option one time and didn't end well lol

vampyyri
August 3rd, 2016, 04:22 PM
Another one for Feye's Trimming method! I haven't done it myself personally, but I have heard great things. The last time I got a trim I went to a stylist who lopped off 2" instead of the 1/2" I asked for... never again!

HairPlease
August 3rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
I haven't tried Feye's but everyone loves it that tries it (or so it seems, lol). My husband just trims my hair, and I trim his! I don't trust myself to trim my own hair. We trim wet usually.

Cg
August 3rd, 2016, 05:08 PM
I use Feye's method. Works great, never had it go wrong.

littlestarface
August 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
At least you have your husband to help you and get it cut straight. I do it myself and have to constantly make sure it's not crooked cuz the hairs need to line up. I tried feyes before by myself and always ended up with one side longer then the other.

Obsidian
August 3rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
My hair is still short but i have a stylist I love and will go to her as long as I can. She loves long hair and always takes off less then I ask for which is great since I'm growing out a mess of layers and she is helping me keep it reasonably nice looking. She is also thrilled that I use henna and take such good care of my hair.

As far as the coloring go, I can understand your apprehension at going back to him but you did nothing wrong. If you like him and he treats your hair right, I would go back. If he brings up the color, simply tell him you decided to go chemical free and are using henna now and its something you can do at home. If he takes offense, then you know you need a different option for trims and don't be afraid to walk out if he gets overly offended. I bet he will be just fine though, especially if you've been a customer for years.

Shepherdess
August 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM
Currently in the "no trim challenge", but when I did do trims, I usually did it on my own with JJJs method, and that always turned out nicely for me. :)

school of fish
August 3rd, 2016, 05:57 PM
I trim mine using a variation on Feye's method. I have 4 distinct layers that I microtrim monthly in varying amounts depending upon which parts I'm growing and which I'm maintaining. Once I got past the initial fear the first time it became very simple and straightforward - I look forward to my monthly trims now :)

kyoung221
August 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
After a painful experience at a salon several years ago, I've been trimming my own hair once or twice a year.

althara
August 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM
I have a friend who works a stylist out of her own house, so I'll usually go to her for chops. This last time my husband did the chop and I tried the clean up, and it didn't work so well on my short hair.

My mom will also trim for me. She's been doing it for many many years on my dad and myself, and she is good at getting things straight and even.

When my hair gets longer I'm going to try a self-trim.

Deborah
August 3rd, 2016, 06:26 PM
I used Feye's method for a long time, but then I bought a generic version of the Crea Clip. I love it. I have had my husband, my mother and other friends cut for me, and the Crea Clip makes it way easier for them and I always end up with a perfectly even cut. People find it fun to use, so they are more willing to do the cut than when they have to trust their own eyes to be sure it is even.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2016, 06:36 PM
Depends on mood and budget. Currently trimming my own hair using my own method. I always ended up with hair longer on one side than the other with Feye's method.

Cherrys
August 3rd, 2016, 06:38 PM
I do it myself. Brush my hair forward (so like split roughly in half, half over each shoulder). Cut off maybe 3/4 of an inch in no particular way with hair cutting scissors I got on Amazon. I'm sure I'm not getting it perfectly even, but I'm not fussy about that, so....haha

nmgdolly
August 3rd, 2016, 07:10 PM
I have not seen a stylist in years. I guess it is safe to say I micro trim about every six weeks. All I actually do is...
Find a nice bright place on the patio, or in front of a window.
Part my hair down the center.
Then I snip any splits one at a time.
Yes, it does take some time, but, I just have coffee or music or something. I also do not have thick hair.

:)

Nancy Marie

Decoy24601
August 3rd, 2016, 07:15 PM
I have not seen a stylist in years. I guess it is safe to say I micro trim about every six weeks. All I actually do is...
Find a nice bright place on the patio, or in front of a window.
Part my hair down the center.
Then I snip any splits one at a time.
Yes, it does take some time, but, I just have coffee or music or something. I also do not have thick hair.

:)

Nancy Marie

Isn't microtrimming a full cut across the hemline, but only a small amount, not S&D?

nmgdolly
August 3rd, 2016, 08:22 PM
Ooohhh. I am kind of new here. Is it actually Search and Destroy that I do? Sorry for the confusion. Lots of new terms...

Blushes...

Nancy Marie

Decoy24601
August 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Ooohhh. I am kind of new here. Is it actually Search and Destroy that I do? Sorry for the confusion. Lots of new terms...

Blushes...

Nancy Marie

It's alright :D. Search and Destroy is taking the individual hairs up to the light and cutting just above the split. Microtrimming is doing a full cut across the entire hemline, but it's usually only around 1/8-1/2 of an inch :).

Frankenstein
August 3rd, 2016, 10:25 PM
I go to a really great hairdresser who trims it every three months. I'm happy with her and she doesn't take off more than I ask.

missrandie
August 3rd, 2016, 10:30 PM
I used a hybrid of Feye's and Spidermom's methods on my mom. I'm sure I wrote down how I did it, but I'll have to rediscover what I did. Lol.

If I remember correctly, I divided the hair in two, had her tilt her head a certain way (can't remember), then I ponytailed it under her chin, slid the pony down, and snipped it. Then I brushed it back and sort of freelanced the back, trimming off the "point" that was left, if any.

I know, not very helpful, but maybe it will give you a few ideas.

After all, methods are meant to be customized!

Zindell
August 4th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Anyway, if any of y'all DIY your hair trims, can you give me some basic rules/guidelines that I can share with my husband?

I trim my own hair, using Feye's Hair Trimming method. I use the V-shaped trim, which if I look straight forward during the trim, gives me a slightly V-shaped hemline.
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Some month back I cut back my almost BSL length hair to around collarbone, so it got an even length with my grown-out bangs. It was slightly harder cutting it this short, but still not hard. (Sorry, for very bad light in pic).

I plan to let my hair grow out longer again, but it'll be more fun now that it's one length all over. :o

Since you mention "slightly curved" line, perhaps the instructions for a U-shaped trim might work well for you.
Good luck to you! Or maybe rather your husband. May he survive the ordeal! :cool:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/6.%20Fixad_zps4qeq9jzc.png

lapushka
August 4th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I always do the compact cut method for layers. This is a method from the book, "Haircutting for dummies".
You basically make a ponytail and snip a chunk off.

You either put the ponytail on the top of your head (even layers throughout), or you put it on the top of your forehead (short layers up front, long in back).

I have classic length. My shortest layers are about BSL. So that gives you an idea. I use the method with the ponytail on the forehead.

Would NOT recommend this for hair shorter than BSL! Or you will have *very* short layering going on!

Chromis
August 4th, 2016, 05:14 AM
I have trimmed my own ever since I found LHC and am very happy with doing this! Just use a nice sharp pair of scissors and all will be well. If the pair you already have has only been used for hair, they are probably fine.

I started off using Feye's self trim and have simplified a little. Now I just do the scrunchie slide down the ponytail and trim off the last cm or two, but I don't bother pulling my hair around the front to even it. It is too long for me to see what I am doing or reach the ends while standing straight and my boobs get in the way of it laying nicely! I have sometimes asked my husband to neaten it if I think it is not straight or that I have a few stragglers, but he always swears it is fin so I must not be doing too badly.

StephanieZ
August 4th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your guidance!

restless
August 6th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Ive been trimming my own hair for the last 4 years or so and I think the best method Ive ever come across is this one (habioku´s version of Feyes method, using two pigtails). I only do step 1: I look straight ahead and then I end up with a normal U-cut. It works great every time.

I hope its okay to link it (?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc

Stepo_NiNha
August 6th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I trim my own hair using spidermom method. If you check here in LHC you'll find it.

If you're planning to trim your own hair you can also check the thread "microtrimming and maintaining club" and several options are showed there with all the links such as spidermom's, feye's and emi's self trim.

Good luck!

Hairkay
August 6th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I DIY. Sometimes I'll do the plait/braid dusting method.

Tosca
August 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
My mother cuts my hair for me. We usually do it while it's still damp but not dripping after a wash.

Ashenputtel
August 6th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I go to a stylist. I have bardot bangs and I do not have the courage to cut them myself. I'm also aiming for waist lenght and not very long hair so I'm not too worried about the lenght.

Fru fru
August 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I trim my own and cut my own fringe. I haven't been to a hair salon in about 10 years as they always cut off too much hair. I recently bought some scissors made of Japanese steel and they make such a difference.

I also cut my two daughters hair and recently bought a creaclip to hopefully make it easier for their next trim. I'm not sure I would let my husband cut my hair I think I would get my mum or eldest daughter to do it :D

Hinza
August 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I have always trimmed myself.

lithostoic
August 6th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I do both. I microtrim myself, in between larger trims done by a stylist.

embee
August 6th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I do not trim. Do not remember when I last trimmed... I think it was July 2005 and it was a horrible mistake. Trimmed hemline would NOT work for me in any updo. Bummer. Fairytale ends all the way! :)

Agnes Hannah
August 6th, 2016, 01:31 PM
My last trim was in july 2013. She took off two inches! I never went back and don't intend to. I have a pathological fear of hairdressers!

CarrotTop
August 7th, 2016, 01:06 AM
My mom trims my hair and I trim hers. :) She's trimmed my hair ever since I was little, and she understands what I mean when I say, "half an inch off straight across." She has a heavily layered bob that needs constant upkeep, so ever since I was eleven or twelve, I've given her trims to extend the amount of time before salon visits.

Rhoward
August 7th, 2016, 01:43 AM
I trim my own hair with Feye's method and I'm much happier with the results vs going to a salon. I just ordered a creaclip so hopefully that makes it even easier - although it might test my trust issues with hubby!

BlueSky
August 16th, 2016, 03:32 AM
I trim my hair alone. At least 01.2016. I used Feye's method. Works great. But I only use microtrim.

lapushka
August 16th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I trim my hair alone. At least 01.2016. I used Feye's method. Works great. But I only use microtrim.

I don't think anyone said this yet, but welcome to LHC! :D

BlueSky
August 16th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Oh lapushka,

thanks for the welcome. ☺ :o