PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D and hair loss/better hair.

Babyfine
August 2nd, 2016, 05:08 PM
could spending more time out in the sun/taking a lot of supplementation help your hair loss?
My hair has been thin since my 20's, and I've blamed hormones, dieting and all other kinds of issues, when that was around the time I stopped spending time out in the sun and had office jobs.
I've never supplemented with Vitamin D, though I do take a multivitamin and use Nioxin, and my hair has thickened up somewhat (though is still thin) in the last 10 year since I've been doing those thing and practicing LHC care for my hair. I've given up on long length and just concentrate on health, these days. I'm pushing 60 now.
Anyhoo, now I keep reading Vitamin D will help your hair, but you need high doses and better yet spend 10-30 minutes out in the sun, with shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen, every day.
Two things, I live above the 45th latitude where that is not possible for 6-8 months out of the year, and I like to protect my skin from the sun to avoid cancer and aging.
I already have age spots/wrinkles. One article I read even advocated tanning beds to get your natural Vitamin D.
thoughts? I used to be a sun worshiper until I was about 25.

Groovy Granny
August 2nd, 2016, 05:20 PM
Interesting :thumbsup:

I have to take Vit D for Osteopenia I have had lots of new hair growth; coincidental :hmm:

Win - Win on that count I guess :cheer:

I must avoid prolonged sun exposure because of a family history of skin cancer, but I suppose I get enough with my walks and nature hikes.
I do wear sunscreen for prolonged exposure; not sure how that affects my Vit D levels.

I would avoid tanning beds :tmi:

Only au naturale for me :wink:

Groovy Granny
August 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
Interesting :thumbsup:

I have to take Vit D for Osteopenia....and I have had lots of new hair growth; coincidental??? :hmm:

Win - Win on that count I guess if that is the cause :cheer:

I must avoid prolonged/unprotected sun exposure because of a family history of skin cancer, but I suppose I get enough Vit D with my walks and nature hikes.
I do wear sunscreen for prolonged exposure; not sure how that affects my Vit D levels.

I would avoid tanning beds :tmi:

Only au naturale for me :wink:

Cg
August 2nd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Have your Vitamin D blood levels checked by a lab. Your physician can order the test. You will then know whether you have enough. If not, an Rx will provide the dosage appropriate for you.

ravenheather
August 2nd, 2016, 07:53 PM
My hair wasn't growing until I supplemented with vitamin d.

Babyfine
August 2nd, 2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your replies. Groovy Granny not coincidental I would say. I, too have 3 female cousins on my Mom's side who have had skin cancer, 2 with melanoma and one basil casanoma on her nose. I like to avoid too much sun except for walks.
I agree tanning beds are bad.
I've thought about getting my levels checked but I'm thinking it costs money.
I do drink vitamin D fortified milk.

How much Vitamin D do you both supplement with?

calmyogi
August 2nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
At the beginning of this year I started taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D and eating more liver and my hair started growing really fast.

MidnightMoon
August 2nd, 2016, 09:15 PM
I have been an avoid sun avoider for years and my hair grows just fine heheh
Maybe it would grow faster if I took decent amounts of it and exposed myself to the sun...but who knows, it would be then a well above average growth as it actually grows about an inch or two per year quicker than whats supposed to be the mean.
I just hate burning and tanning...almost at a phobia level. Guess Ive been lucky my hair doesnt need it, then.

MidnightMoon
August 2nd, 2016, 09:18 PM
I forgot to mention my father has suggested I should start taking supplements but due to a recent series of allergic reactions to something unknown I am banned from having supplements hah...

Garnetgem
August 2nd, 2016, 09:36 PM
I have started taking cod liver oil as this has vit D in them along with the omega 3 which has really helped with the growth of my hair..sun exposure helps i have stared going in the garden for 10 mins a day(when weather allows) as we don't have much sun a supplement is essential here..its well known vit D helps with hair growth and i had a major shedding last year i had stopped taking my cod liver oils not sure if its to blame but since i am back on them then all is fine...sun beds are best avoided and i doubt the artificial lighting would have any health benefits..way too risky.

eadwine
August 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Careful with vitamin D, I am on a special dose of the vitamin D since my body doesn't take it in and I was NOT allowed to take the forte version of a multivitamin since it could then be too much. So.. always be careful with the vitamins and check dosages with your doctor and/or pharmacy to make sure.

Groovy Granny
August 2nd, 2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your replies. Groovy Granny not coincidental I would say. I, too have 3 female cousins on my Mom's side who have had skin cancer, 2 with melanoma and one basil casanoma on her nose. I like to avoid too much sun except for walks.
I agree tanning beds are bad.
I've thought about getting my levels checked but I'm thinking it costs money.
I do drink vitamin D fortified milk.

How much Vitamin D do you both supplement with?

I am advised by the doc according to my blood test results.

mindwiped
August 3rd, 2016, 12:17 AM
I also supplement, and get regular bloodwork to insure that I'm in the normal range. There's skin cancer in my family too, and I describe my coloration as 'glue in the dark white'. My dosage is very very high, but as I said, it's being monitored. I'd get tested before starting any dosage, but it helps my hair, my moods, my sleep, and so forth; I'm very much in favor of supplemental vitamin D.

calmyogi
August 3rd, 2016, 05:57 AM
I also supplement, and get regular bloodwork to insure that I'm in the normal range. There's skin cancer in my family too, and I describe my coloration as 'glue in the dark white'. My dosage is very very high, but as I said, it's being monitored. I'd get tested before starting any dosage, but it helps my hair, my moods, my sleep, and so forth; I'm very much in favor of supplemental vitamin D.
I second the mood thing too. My general outlook on life improves a bit when I'm taking the vitamin d.

Groovy Granny
August 3rd, 2016, 09:11 AM
Yes, Vit D helps with mood .....and back pain!
My doc suggested it when he saw my levels were low and it worked :joy:
I had a blown disc years ago and am arthritic as well.

Garnetgem
August 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM
Yes, Vit D helps with mood .....and back pain!
My doc suggested it when he saw my levels were low and it worked :joy:
I had a blown disc years ago and am arthritic as well.

Yes really helps with back pain as i have metal work holding my spine together but don't need painkillers..as for mood i never knew they helped with that..but yeah i guess i am in a good mood but put it down to lack of back pain!

Groovy Granny
August 3rd, 2016, 10:37 AM
Yes really helps with back pain as i have metal work holding my spine together but don't need painkillers..as for mood i never knew they helped with that..but yeah i guess i am in a good mood but put it down to lack of back pain!
OUCH :flowers:

Yes, that will do it too....for sure LOL