PDA

View Full Version : Its been a minute- a few questions

cdonald2
August 1st, 2016, 07:16 PM
Hi guys! its been a minute. life has been unbearably hectic, but my hair growth is doing well. Im finally at collar bone with no more perm in my hair! Yay!

Anywho- long story short. one of my best friends moved from ohio to Portland, she had beautiful hair. As a tribute I told her I wont cut my hair unless its her birthday, when she visits or when I visit her.

Anywho, I wondered if someone can help me with ways to tweak my regimen.
I wash with loreal paris moisutizing and condition then. ive been washing almost every day because my hair gets super greasy from working out.. .and life, due to it being so fine. So I wondered if batiste dry shampoo may be a better option in between washes? ive tried powders, but I really prefer the sprays since I cant seem to get all the powder to blend in.

On occasion I use aphogee 2 step protien ( LOVE THIS STUFF) about once a month and the shampoo and conditioner to rebalance the PH in my hair

shampoo bars seem to leave the bottom of my hair looking greasy wet and awful while the top looks like its been clarified.

Any suggestions so I can keep good on my word and grow some amazing locks?

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 07:26 PM
I personally use scalp washes in between full hair washings. I just clip my length back in a claw clip and wash my scalp with my shampoo in the sink, and keep it off the ends as best as I can. I used to use dry shampoo, but it just caused so much build up and got greasy again within the course of a day... but of course, that's just my experience, it may work for you!

cailinbee
August 1st, 2016, 07:36 PM
This may be something other people have tried and posted about, so perhaps nothing revolutionary, but it looks like we have similar hair types -- here's something I just started that's working for me! Maybe it's something you could try!

It's really hard for me to not wash every day as well because of the stringy-thin-hair-greasy look, and it was also hard to wash scalp-only just because of my grooming routine and schedule. So, in place of pooling shampoo in my palm, I shake up a diluted mixture and then spray it directly onto my scalp just until it's enough to lather a bit and make me feel like "Ok, yes, this is working." I bought a pint spray bottle at the dollar store and put about a pinky finger width of vo5 shampoo in the bottom. The rest I filled with water.

So far I haven't felt any greasier than when I put an indefinite amount of shampoo in my palm, but I know consciously I'm using *just* enough to cut the greasy feeling. It does take a lot of spraying but I can stop right when I feel like I've hit the minimal lathering point. It doesn't really make it down the length, which I just condition with Suave coconut. I've been really happy with this routine -- I feel like I'm saving money *and* not over-shampooing!

veex
August 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Try swapping to a co-wash conditioner, has done wonders for my hair in terms of greasiness.

maborosi
August 1st, 2016, 10:50 PM
Co-washing can work, but I found it took my stupidly greasy scalp a little while to adjust. But now that I've been doing it for several years, CO-washing gets my hair clean just fine.
Are you open to henna/cassia/sedr treatments? They can be drying, but do an amazing job standing in for shampoo. They keep my scalp totally clean for several days before I even need to cleanse. Plus they add volume and give me crazy shine.

Also scalp-only washes, once your hair gets long enough, are a lifesaver. My hair is getting to where I don't like doing full-length washes because my hair takes too long to dry. Scalp washing has been a godsend to get my scalp clean while leaving the length alone.

CarrotTop
August 2nd, 2016, 12:32 AM
I don't know if it would help you, since I don't have remotely fine hair, but when my hair gets sweaty, I've found it helps if I give it a blast from an electric fan or a hairdryer set on "cool." I feel like it helps evaporate some of the sweat quickly. I never have really liked dry shampoo– it always leaves my hair feeling stiff.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 04:51 AM
If you can use dry shampoo, and it's great to use, then by all means: use it!

Maybe shampoo bars aren't for you.

Scalp washes on collarbone length are almost impossible without getting the "length" wet.

Cherrys
August 2nd, 2016, 06:49 PM
To help with the greasiness from working out, as soon as I finish what I'm doing (like, literally, right when I'm still in the gym), I take my hair down and out of it's braid and use a boar bristle brush every which way (both with my head upside down and normally) to kind of "distribute" the sweat and greasies, if you will. I wash my hair once a week and work out everyday, and I don't feel that my hair every looks THAT greasy. Granted, I may have a bit of a bias because I don't WANT to wash my hair more often, and also my hair is a bit longer than yours (butt length or so), so there's more hair to distribute the wetness into...BUT you could try it out.