PDA

View Full Version : To cone or not to cone, that is the question

Wendyp
August 1st, 2016, 06:08 PM
Well im pretty sure my hair is not has happy as when i was using wen which has some cones in it. alot more breakage now on the sides. so maybe i wasnt clarifying enough. well i fact i wasnt clarifying at all. how often should I clarify, any cones to just avoid? on a good note i got an A+ on my self trimming on the back. my sides are still shorter so i dont know really how to trim them right.:D

Decoy24601
August 1st, 2016, 06:17 PM
Personally, I find that cones go far to help prevent breakage in my hair, since it doesn't tangle or snag on anything as easily.

Have you tried using conditioners with different kinds of cones? Amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone are both cones that are supposed to "only bond to damage areas of the hair" and not buildup. I've found that Amodimethicone is much lighter and makes my hair feel very similar to cone-free, while bis-aminopropyl dimethicone definitely makes my hair feel coney, but it isn't nearly as heavy as regular dimethicone. I don't use shampoos with cones though, my hair hates that. YMMV.

I started noticing a lot more breakage when I went cone-free from tangles. I'm cycle between conditioners containing what I listed above, and it provides enough slip in my hair without causing buildup.

A regular no-cone sulfate shampoo with SLS usually cuts through most of the cones on my hair, so I haven't ever felt the need to use a clarifying shampoo (sulfates is all you really need to cut through cones, clarifying shampoos usually have other ingredients that are good for cutting through harder to remove ingredients in styling products and sometimes "voluminous" conditioners). I don't use styling products.

You can always cut out cones for a couple/few weeks and then go back on them for a comparison, too.

ETA: With everything I mentioned, YMMV.

Wendyp
August 1st, 2016, 06:44 PM
Personally, I find that cones go far to help prevent breakage in my hair, since it doesn't tangle or snag on anything as easily.

Have you tried using conditioners with different kinds of cones? Amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone are both cones that are supposed to "only bond to damage areas of the hair" and not buildup. I've found that Amodimethicone is much lighter and makes my hair feel very similar to cone-free, while bis-aminopropyl dimethicone definitely makes my hair feel coney, but it isn't nearly as heavy as regular dimethicone. I don't use shampoos with cones though, my hair hates that. YMMV.

I started noticing a lot more breakage when I went cone-free from tangles. I'm cycle between conditioners containing what I listed above, and it provides enough slip in my hair without causing buildup.

A regular no-cone sulfate shampoo with SLS usually cuts through most of the cones on my hair, so I haven't ever felt the need to use a clarifying shampoo (sulfates is all you really need to cut through cones, clarifying shampoos usually have other ingredients that are good for cutting through harder to remove ingredients in styling products and sometimes "voluminous" conditioners). I don't use styling products.

You can always cut out cones for a couple/few weeks and then go back on them for a comparison, too.

ETA: With everything I mentioned, YMMV.

i had been using wen and he has cones in his stuff. but i noticed the ones that i like the most have amodimethicone, so funny i didnt even know anything about that till i started being active on here. then i blamed wen for breakage and havent used it for about 2 months and whoa alot breakages on the ends! i went totally cone free and sulfate free. I will try using SLS to cut through, and i know its prolly YMMV but how often are you using SLS?

althara
August 1st, 2016, 06:50 PM
My hair is definietely feeling a lot better now that I'm using a conditioner with cone. I was not using any conditioner for a few years and my breakage was really bad.

Decoy24601
August 1st, 2016, 06:52 PM
i had been using wen and he has cones in his stuff. but i noticed the ones that i like the most have amodimethicone, so funny i didnt even know anything about that till i started being active on here. then i blamed wen for breakage and havent used it for about 2 months and whoa alot breakages on the ends! i went totally cone free and sulfate free. I will try using SLS to cut through, and i know its prolly YMMV but how often are you using SLS?

I use it every time I shampoo, which is anywhere from every 1-3 days. I even use it on the whole length of my hair. The SLS shampoo I use is a little more diluted than others, so that keeps it from being harsh. You can also try diluting it with some water yourself. Some people find shampooing the length of their hair to be very drying, but I've never really had that issue. I need to shampoo the length of my hair usually or else it will get buildup fast.

I would highly recommend buying a bottle of Garnier Whole Blends (the moisturizing one is nice and light, the nourishing one is heavier but nice too) conditioner. It has amodimethicone and feels very similar to being cone-free, but provides a bit more slip.

You could also try using a coney serum every once in a while on your hair too, or a coney conditioner every once in a while. It doesn't have to be something you do every time you use conditioner.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard things about Nightblooming's selkie herbal detangler, if you still want to go cone-free. The main function of cones is to provide slip, and that can be done with other things (like marshmallow root or slippery elm).

It's taken me a long time to find the right balance between slip and my hair feeling coated from cones. I still prefer the way my hair feels when it's cone-free, but I'd rather have more slip.

Oh, are you using a wide-tooth seamless comb to detangle?

Wendyp
August 1st, 2016, 07:35 PM
I use it every time I shampoo, which is anywhere from every 1-3 days. I even use it on the whole length of my hair. The SLS shampoo I use is a little more diluted than others, so that keeps it from being harsh. You can also try diluting it with some water yourself. Some people find shampooing the length of their hair to be very drying, but I've never really had that issue. I need to shampoo the length of my hair usually or else it will get buildup fast.

I would highly recommend buying a bottle of Garnier Whole Blends (the moisturizing one is nice and light, the nourishing one is heavier but nice too) conditioner. It has amodimethicone and feels very similar to being cone-free, but provides a bit more slip.

You could also try using a coney serum every once in a while on your hair too, or a coney conditioner every once in a while. It doesn't have to be something you do every time you use conditioner.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard things about Nightblooming's selkie herbal detangler, if you still want to go cone-free. The main function of cones is to provide slip, and that can be done with other things (like marshmallow root or slippery elm).

It's taken me a long time to find the right balance between slip and my hair feeling coated from cones. I still prefer the way my hair feels when it's cone-free, but I'd rather have more slip.

Oh, are you using a wide-tooth seamless comb to detangle?

Yes everything Shea butter CWC you name it. But I color so I think it weakening it.