PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about your hair?

Pamberpestana
August 1st, 2016, 08:51 AM
I've had a weird relationship with my hair growing up. I always liked to play with it, brushed it so much. As a teen I used tons of heat tools and chemical dyes. Puberty made my hair really curly and I didn't know how to take care of it (like when I brushed it I expected the curls to stay in tact.) And then when it frizzed ip I hated it. At the same time though, I've always been so attached to my hair, would never trim it because I didn't want to throw away all the time I've waited for that inch to grow. Since being here at the LHC, I've chopped off all dye and damage and im really falling in love with my natural color, texture and shine. When I dyed my hair my roots always looked dull and dark, but now that my hair is about 5-6in long all over my head I'm seeing so much gold! My hair glows now and I'm even more attached to it than ever, obsessed with babying the ends.

How do you feel about your hair?
Has your hair changed its texture over the years?
Are you attached to it emotionally?
How do you feel about your color?
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? For me, since my hair is the shortest it's been in awhile, I don't feel quite like myself, my hair doesnt reflect me just yet. I am seeing it grow though and I'm getting more and more excited about it

I'm new here so I can't see pictures really, but some do show up and the long beautiful hair I see on here makes me sooo excited about growing my fresh virgin hair and trying new things.
Thanks!

Entangled
August 1st, 2016, 09:39 AM
I'm happy with my length; the longer it's gotten, the more right it feels. I like my color, even if I have occasional moments of envy. I have a harder time with my natural texture, but I don't see it much, so I'm at stalemate with it. I'm not too happy with taper, but I know it's really quite decent for my length, even if it's not exactly what I want.

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 09:46 AM
How do you feel about your hair? Pretty good, I don't have any current complaints.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? It's changed over the past couple of months since joining here.
Are you attached to it emotionally? I definitely am, it's my security blanket.
How do you feel about your color? I've grown to like it, but I do envy hennaheads from time to time.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I'm pretty close to my first goal, and overall I'm satisfied with it.

Johannah
August 1st, 2016, 10:20 AM
My hair has made some changes throughout the years. My hair went from 1b to 2a, which I love :) I also grew out bleach. I used to HATE HATE HATE my hair color, I thought it wasn't blonde enough, but my hair felt really bad after taking highlights over and over again, so I wanted to grow out my natural hair color. The longer I have my natural (golden blonde) hair color, the more I love it :) I wouldn't change it for anything. I love the length, but my bangs is something different. Oh well, it'll grow :)

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM

It's there. :lol:

Went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty, along with a massive shed (bald spots)

Yes and no. Yes, because I grew it all the way to classic. No because it's hair, it'll grow back (if not too much of it is removed).

Pretty good. I am slowly (slooowly) going white, but that'll take me at least another decade.

HairPlease
August 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
How do you feel about your hair? Generally, I like it. I'd prefer no wave at all because my 2a waves are awkward in the middle.

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? It's gotten wavier. As a kid it was fairly straight.

Are you attached to it emotionally? It depends on what your definition of emotionally is. I like it, but I haven't "named" nor do I talk to it. It has no sentimental value to me... yet.

How do you feel about your color? Natural color? It looks like gray dishes in dirty water. Despise of it. Bleached? YEAH BAYBAY.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? Yes, definitely. As soon as I hit BSL I was completely happy with it. APL was such an awkward length, but I admit, I was pretty jazzed when I passed the towel test last year. It feels like just yesterday. Amazing how the time flies!

raemarthe
August 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
I have fairly curly hair, with everything ranging from loose waves to tight curls. When I was younger I hated it, I would brush it out, which resulted in huge amount of frizz (and a lot of damage). For most of my childhood I had short hair, usually shoulder length and above. I'm finally at peace with it and I'm just trying to make it as healthy as possible.

My hair texture has changed in the last 5 years or so. I started off with thick waves, a 2b pattern everywhere, and now I have 2b-3b curls. I'm really enjoying watching my hair get curlier as I continue to get rid of damage.

The longer it gets the more ME I feel, so I think if it was short I would feel really weird, so I think I am attached to the length. Plus, my curls are kind of my trademark.

As for my color, I wish it was a little lighter. Its getting darker, but I'm not too concerned I guess. I would rather have healthy hair than brighter hair, my last run in with bleach was a huge mistake.

Right now my hair is the longest it has ever been. I'm really excited about it. :D

Anya15
August 1st, 2016, 12:05 PM
I like it, it's healthier than it's ever been and growing like a weed!
Yes. Puberty changed it from 1c to 2b. And recently it has gotten wavier and gone to a 2c. I also had a major hormonal shed during the end of my teen years - my new growth is coarser and curlier.
Yes. :)
I often wish I had a lighter color, but so many here tell me that my deep black is very nice so I'm okay with it.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now?
Not really. My hair is still *too* short to do many things (it's thick!) and layered, so it is a bit frustrating!

Decoy24601
August 1st, 2016, 02:16 PM
How do you feel about your hair? Overall, I like it. I wish I had never gotten layers and my hair thinned out, but the thickness will grow back.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? Probably. It was 1b as a kid and changed to 2a at 12 (It looked wavy even brushed out in pictures, instead of looking straight overall), then back to 1c a few years later. My hair is still 1c.
Are you attached to it emotionally? Definitely. I can't stand the thought of dyeing my hair or cutting it short again.
How do you feel about your color? Heheh, I love my hair color, even though I was bullied for it as a kid.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I do like my hair the way it is now.

Goatcraft
August 1st, 2016, 02:43 PM
I'm content with it. My hair grows relatively fast, so I like that. Lol.

Yes. My hair was way curlier as a child. It's definitely loosened.

Yep. While I have things I'm not too fond of, I would never cut my hair off. It feels like a limb at this point.

I always hated it, but it's growing on me.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length your at now?
Hmm. I can't say that I do. I don't bother it and it still feels so short. I think I'll enjoy it more when I reach classic.

gustavonut
August 1st, 2016, 03:16 PM
•How do you feel about your hair? I feel it could be happier and seems to fight me as much as it can.

•Has your hair changed its texture over the years? My hair used to be waiver when I was about 12, but after all the straightening and bleaching and etc, it's now just slightly wavy.

•Are you attached to it emotionally? I think I am somewhat attached to it, since I spend so much time pampering it and thinking about it.

• How do you feel about your color? I wish I could be naturally lighter, and have ONE color in my hair for once lol.

•If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length you are at now? I enjoy it to an extent but sometimes I just wish I could cut it. It's a tough long journey but I am staying mostly positive the whole way.

althara
August 1st, 2016, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty happy with my hair now. The only time I get unhappy with my hair is when it has a lot of breakage/splits at the end. I'm hopeful that some of the tips and tricks for reducing damage I've read here will help that be less of an issue in the future.

My texture has been pretty consistent over the years. Maybe it's a little more wavy now than it was when I was younger. My thickness have varied a lot over the past 10 years though which was not something I expected to come out of pregnancy/breastfeeding.

I'm not emotionally attached to my hair. I was considering going G.I. Jane with it.

I used to hate my color as a kid because I was the only redhead at school which was my only real socialization at that point in my life. Now I like it. I'm starting to get a few grey hairs here and there which I also like.

I just did a 12" cut because my ends were super thin from a big shed and damaged even though I got a 3" trim three months before that, so I like the length I'm at now. I'm at CBL and it's still long enough for me to put it up to stop my little kids from pulling on it. I did somewhat regret cutting that much, but I really needed it because of how much thinning I've had after I stopped breastfeeding in March.

veex
August 1st, 2016, 07:13 PM
It's a love hate relationship ;)

cailinbee
August 1st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Eh, I'm at about 75% capacity for loving it. I really love the natural bit that's grown out, and I'm okay with it overall, but I feel as if the best is yet to come. What I'm super happy about is all of the tools this community has offered that have let me get this far growing and loving my hair!

Not really. I've always had silky fine hair. It has changed color more than texture -- it waved a little bit and went from platinum when I was little to ash brown, which is pretty common.

Yes, definitely. I'm sort of known for being particular, self-conscious, and very emotional over my hair (both ends of the spectrum -- I'm vocal about it when something is going right, and tend to have Anne Shirley moments when I've "ruined" it).

I used to hate it, but I learned to really love my natural ash / blonette, even not really knowing what it looks like fully grown out. Every inch of natural color that grows out, I just want to hug! I'm so excited.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now?
Eh, not really. Not because it doesn't look good, but because I have SUCH braid and bun envy of everyone here, and it's not enough hair to do those things yet!

Frankenstein
August 1st, 2016, 09:19 PM
Overall I guess I mostly like it, although there's plenty I'm not always happy about

No not really. With length, the waves have loosened a lot though.

Oh yeah. Maybe not quite as bad as I used to be, back when I couldn't even bear a trim, but it's very important to me :p

It's fine, nothing special and I'd prefer to have darker hair but I think it makes me me.

CarrotTop
August 1st, 2016, 09:25 PM
How do you feel about your hair? I like my hair! It can annoy me, but overall it’s worth it.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? When I was little, I had ultra-fine strands and little ringlets, and over time it became practically straight, and then it started turning wavy again and it’s become very, very coarse.
Are you attached to it emotionally? I'd say I am, probably.
How do you feel about your color? I actually love my hair color. It’s naturally red, and I couldn’t see myself without it! :o I can’t tell you the number of DIYs I’m afraid to use because a certain ingredient supposedly can alter your hair color.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I’m not at my goal length, but I enjoy it how it is. :)

kyoung221
August 1st, 2016, 09:39 PM
How do you feel about your hair? I generally like it. I'm kind of vain about it, actually: Sometimes I like to brush it out and look at it in the mirror. Maybe that's because I always keep it up. It doesn't seem particularly long to me. I'm not sure why that is... I don't know anyone else in real life with hair this long, and I get my fair share of comments about it. I think I've had longer-than-usual hair for a very long time, so it just doesn't seem particularly notable to me.

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? I think it used to be a bit straighter. I'm a 2a now, but if I had to guess, I'd say I was a 1b or 1c when I was younger. It's kind of funny, actually: I always thought my hair was straight, but I tended to brush it out when it was wet. When I started leaving it as-is to air dry, it dried with waves and curls. I was shocked!

Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes. I would be upset if it had to be cut. I feel like it's my "trademark", and it's one of the few things about my appearance that I like.

How do you feel about your color? Usually, I wish it was a few shades lighter, like it was when I was a kid. It's darkened a bit, but I think it's a nice color. I've been told I have "natural highlights". My mom used to say to my sister and me, "Some women pay a lot of money to have hair that color!" I've never dyed it, partly because I like my own color, and partly because I wouldn't have the patience to maintain it.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? For a while, I was getting bored with doing the same old bun or braid every day, though I never seriously considered cutting it. After hanging out on here, though, I'm finding all kinds of fun style ideas. I'd like to see how long I can grow it, but I like its current length.

missmelaniem
August 1st, 2016, 10:34 PM
My hair is just ok at the moment... of course I want it to be a lot longer, and the ends are still dyed. Length is my priority right now, and I dont plan to cut or trim for a couple of years at this point. I expect it will be another 2 years or so after that before I have it all natural and the dyed ends cut off.

I wouldnt say I'm enjoying the length at this point (just below APL at the longest point) but I'm not loathing it as I was when my hair was in a pixie. A pixie is just not a great cut on me, so I'm thrilled to be out of that stage.

maborosi
August 1st, 2016, 10:40 PM
How do you feel about your hair? Pretty good. It's a hobby for me

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? When I was a kid, I was definitely F and probably low ii, now I'm getting older and it's F/M and straddles ii/iii.

Are you attached to it emotionally? Absolutely, else I wouldn't be here.

How do you feel about your color? Love it.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? In some ways. I think right now I mostly ignore it. My hair recently hit 39" and it's extremely close to my original ultimate goal of classic. It still feels short sometimes, lol

Doreen
August 2nd, 2016, 12:32 AM
I do feel emotionally attached to my hair. I put a lot of effort into maintaining it (which I enjoy) so it follows that I care about it in a certain way. Like a project I've worked really hard on, or something. Color- and texture-wise, it's been the same all my life and I'm happy with it. I don't really think I'd ever want to change the color since I'd have to do 2 or 3 rounds of bleach and damage it a lot. ):

I'm at knee right now which to be honest is not as fun as I thought it'd be. I never get to wear my hair down anymore. But I have gotten more creative with updos!

Dark40
August 10th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Right now I'm loving my hair texture!!! I'm not happy with it's length. I'm trying to grow it out to extreme lengths like to my thighs or something of that nature.

Angelica
August 11th, 2016, 04:50 PM
How do you feel about your hair? For the last week or so, I have been rather sad about it. I cut off six inches in December and it looked pretty good for a long while, and then the last week or so I was looking at it in great disappointment and realised that it was growing at a snail's pace and was all bitty again with again the sides being longer than the back. More or less convinced myself I had a lot of breakage from wearing my hair up all the time. So yesterday I had my hair professionally cut in what must be the first time in 11 years. It really looked as if another six inches had been cut off! But it was only three and it has given me a really nice blunt hemline. I would love it to grow back with that thick hemline, but I guess at 52 now I have to accept the fact I shall never be able to grow very long hair. It is now only just past my shoulders but the hairdresser did what I wanted and reassured me that it was in good condition and that there was no breakage in the centre of the hair. So at the moment I am quite content with it. I bought some new shampoo and conditioner and new bobbles that look like telephone cord! Supposed to be really gentle on the hair.

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? It has always been very fine and thin and poker straight. One hairdresser described it as "hair that never grew up."

Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes. I love long hair - even though mine would be considered short on this forum.

How do you feel about your color? I would've loved to have been a natural red head. But I have dark brunette hair that is now greying. Recently I purchased a hair colour crayon and like the effect of it.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I think I need to accept that great lengths will never be mine. But I do still hope that I can grow it a few more inches at least and retain a good hemline.

Inga-Marjukka
August 11th, 2016, 06:01 PM
A bit frustrated. I know I've got years of growing ahead of me before I've got virgin waist length, and the amount of breakage (that still continues) is crazy on my bleached length. I dread the day when my roots are seriously long enough to do the long-awaited chop and I'll lose my patience and end up back somewhere like shoulder. But I'm trying to coach myself to think differently about it, more along the lines of maintaining at somewhere like waist or hip to get rid of the bleachies in a more calm manner.

stephy190
August 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Right now I'm loving my hair texture!!! I'm not happy with it's length. I'm trying to grow it out to extreme lengths like to my thighs or something of that nature.

Me too! liking the hair texture and condition, it's not got many layers, just a few on top section and rest is pretty much blunt cut and nice and thick. but still not happy with length. I'm more comfortable with it as I'm apl now (just reached) but need more length to be happy lol

AZDesertRose
August 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM
How do you feel about your hair? Mostly I like it. I do wish it would pick a texture though. It's wavier in the front near my face than it is in the back, and I'd really rather have either straight hair or curly hair, not this slightly wavy, not even the same texture throughout mess that it is! :lol: :shrug:

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? It was straighter when I was younger; I made the colossal mistake of getting a perm when I was about seventeen, and it was never quite as straight again after that, never mind the permed hair is long gone!

Are you attached to it emotionally? Somewhat. I'd certainly be angry if someone cut it without my say-so. I self-trim now that it's long enough for me to manage that, and I'm fortunate enough to know a trustworthy stylist who won't do anything I didn't ask her to do, should I want a professional cut/style for whatever reason. But it's hair, and mine grows reasonably quickly and it will eventually grow back.

How do you feel about your color? I'm okay with it. My natural color is a dark reddish brown, and I use henna which gives me a dark auburn that I do like. I always wanted either true red hair or blue-black hair, but my skin tone would clash pretty badly with either of those hair colors whereas it looks fairly natural with the henna-auburn (as that isn't terribly far off my natural color anyway).

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? The health is decent; I haven't used chemical dyes in a long time, my ends are pretty healthy, and I like my hemline. The present length (mid-back) is a bit awkward, but I know from experience (I once had classic length hair but that got to be too much hair--heresy, I know!) that if I just leave it alone and let it grow, it will get past the present awkwardness, so I'm at a point of "Just keep swimming" right now, LOL.

kendraf
August 15th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I'm happy with the shine and softness of my virgin hair that is growing, but unhappy that I still have a few inches of damaged blonde at the bottom to cut off. I'm also growing out bangs and random flyaways from 2 bad wind tangling incidents, so that can be frustrating

Once I stopped bleaching and heat styling it and embraced the natural waves, they became more pronounced as the damage grew out

I would say so - the longer it gets, the more flattering it gets on me, so it definitely makes me feel good about myself. I'd be very upset if it got chopped after dedicating so much time and effort to get where it is now.

Glad to see the brassy blonde ends go. My natural color is pretty dark, but I think some subtle ash blonde balayage once a year would be all it needs to brighten up a bit. Never doing solid ombre ends again though, just highlights.

I'm really enjoying being past BSL for the first time in my adult life, so excited to be nearing waist, though very impatient ;). I try to not let the ends/bangs/flyaways detract from enjoying having long hair.

Doom
August 15th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I like it, although many times I wish it'd grow faster than 1 cm per month.

No.

Yes. It makes me happy when I notice the increase in length, and I'd go berserk if someone cut it without my consent.

It's dark brown, so it's pretty "meh". I'd like to enrich its color in ways that make it obvious that it's not natural. For example bleaching one or two thick streaks blond, or just bleaching the lower half of my hair, or even dyeing it all fire-engine red. Last week I had a dream where my hair was classic length and fire-engine red, and I liked it.

I'm enjoying it more than when it was shorter, but less than when it will be longer.

notnotevil
August 22nd, 2016, 07:10 AM
I too used to abuse it. I "took care" of the uneven texture and poofyness/thickness by ironing it daily! Which just further messed up the texture, make it go frizzy etc., and for some time during my early teenage years I hated it. I used to box-dye it at the same time.
Well, recently I began dying it with henna since I love red hair, especially on myself. My natural colour is not bad, I just prefer it red.

Oh my goodness, I finally love how my hair looks without ironing! I had been doing it since I was 11! I realize how liberating that is. I think the length helped, since it's weighed down on its own. I'd never had it longer than BSL because my mother didn't like it. I'm aiming for at least waist length, but I appreciate the current length as well, it's already new territory for me.

I feel my hair is a very important factor in how I look, so I am attached to it in that sense. I would often cry when my hair dresser cut more than I asked :) ( I no longer visit the hairdressers and boy has it made life easier :D )

astrid92
September 28th, 2016, 01:19 PM
How do you feel about your hair? I love my hair, but I really wish it was longer.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? My hair was straight until I was about 12 then it became wavy with some curls.
Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes I am very attached to my hair and I do get offended when people demand that I cut it.
How do you feel about your color? I am currently growing out my natural hair colour after years of dying it. So far I am really happy about the colour.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? Yes I am enjoying my hairs current length. I am currently finding and trying new ways to where it other than a ponytail, basic braid, and cinnabun.

littlestarface
September 28th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I hate it

Nope it's been this way since I was a baby literally

Yes I guess

Don't like it

I don't really enjoy my hair, we just live together and it's here, just like me.

Kajzh
September 28th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I actually hate it! It's a hassle and in the length makes my neck and back itch at night.

Naturally? I don't think so. But it has changed texture since I haven't relaxed or bleached it.

Nah, I've thought about cutting it every day for months!

I like it! It's darkest brown, and the ends are a lighter brown from sun exposure.

Andthetalltrees
September 28th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I've grown to like it. It's not my first choice if I could change it. But it's a part of me and I'm happy with it now. It's shoulder again which feels very familiar to me, I want it longer but I'm okay with it

No, Its always been straight to almost-but-not-really wavy. Nothing really seems to effect it

Not really.

It's that all too common colour of blondette. I don't love it but I don't hate it. I'm too lazy to keep up dye so it'll just have to do

Accept it for what it is. Don't worry about how long it will be tomorrow, Or who has longer hair then you. Enjoy whatever you can do at this time to make it appealing to you.

lora410
September 28th, 2016, 01:43 PM
How do you feel about your hair right now? its meh

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? not really

Are you attached to it emotionally? nope

How do you feel about your color? I like it, I currently henna

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length your at now? .no his is really. my akward length until i at least hit BSL

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I love it now:crush:

There was never an attachment to it growing up, and when it was long in the 60's and 70's I just ignored it for the most part.
As the years passed I tried the fro perms, sun in, coloring, the hip cuts....meh

That is hard to say because over the years I didn't have the available products like we do now to condition and moisturize it etc.
Back then we had only BRECK shampoo that left you SQUEAKY CLEAN, then your fried it with a hot dryer or curling iron.
I have always had the double volume curl explosions in humid weather, but never gave thought to it.

If anything I see a difference between my silver and my remaining dark blonde hair presently.
The silver is very soft, fine, and curls on it's own easily.... while the darker hair is more medium and wavy, with a bit of curl if it is really humid.

In a sense I am....I worked hard emotionally and physically to grow this out from layered chin length....to long, all one length, silvering hair...in an area where everyone here cuts it short then ....'curls up and dyes'; I stand out to say the least....especially with unique hair toys lol

So yes.....and I also have a concern that something will happen where I can't take care of it, and others may cut or damage it......silly I know :o
In reality my health matters most over my hair which can grow back .....and all will be well....so I let those thoughts go :wink:

I love it and have loved it since my 50th birthday!
A stylist ruined my hair with a coloring gone wrong, and I had to have a foot of damage cut off (waist to chin), and then re-dyed to my my root color.
From that day forward I swore never to color again and was thrilled to see the 'real me' as I turned 50....for the first time in 20 years!
The silver came in from that time on and I adore my natural highlights and color combo...it is UNIQUELY ME :D

I hit my goal of Hip last Spring (my LONGEST length in 64 years) ,then cut back to waist in July; that is my sweet spot(it was in the 60's too)!
But I do miss Hip length for braiding style variations because my general length is shorter due to my very short torso and short distance between landmarks.
So....back to hip I grow.....and will be there for the 2nd time @ March.

Thanks for the possibility to reflect on this....I have a lot to be grateful for ......the journey the past 4 years have been a joy :joy:

Hurven
September 28th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Quite good. :) Only thing I don't like about it is the dyed parts, but I don't want to cut them off all at once because I would lose a lot of length. So mictrotrimming it is...

Yes, went from 1a to 2a during puberty.

Yes.

I like my natural hair colour. :)

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM

Eh, it's alright. I'm learning to love it but my self esteem prevents me from accepting it.

Oh yes definitely. It used to be fine and 1b, now it's medium and at least 1c. Need to do another hairtyping pic.

In a way I suppose. I'm afraid to cut it because I think I look younger with short hair. People already mistake me for being 16 and I'm 20 :/

I miss it. I want this bleach gone so my natural color can be what people notice. It's unique and shiny.

Still trying but I'm doing better. Looking at old pictures helps. My hair is much healthier than it was this time last year.

hayheadsbird
September 28th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I both like it and despair of it.
I now know it's thick, but growing up I thought it was fairly fine. My friends all had much thicker hair. It means there's a lot of things I'd like to do that I won't manage until I hit some serious length, and being petite that's going to mean it will need to be pretty long in terms of body markers.

Growing up was 1a, as I hit my 30's moving in to 1c territory.

Yes.

I'm back to henna, so fairly happy. It doesn't actually change my natural colour that much, just covers the grey and brings out the red tones more.

Cg
September 28th, 2016, 03:28 PM
The longer it grows the more I like it.

Yes, unpigmented old-lady hair differs from young hair.

Yes, since I've put so much effort into getting it into good condition.

Loved the blonde, love the blonde + silver, will love the all-silver.

Shiranshoku
September 28th, 2016, 03:53 PM

I lile it a lot, especially with my streaks. I used to hate the colour, how flat it was, basically everything but I've grown to love it. I also like how it's become a defining part of my look. I used to be the girl with the glasses or the girl with the protruding teeth. And now I'm the girl with the long hair.

I've gone from 1a to 1b-ish. Still pretty darn straight tho.

I'd bawl my eyes out if someone would cut it or if it would fall out or something like that. So yes, in that sense. But in the end, it's just hair. :-)

I like it, especially because it's like a chameleon depending on the lighting.

I definitely like my current length, tailbone-but-afraid-to-call-it. It's very versatile and manageable but also long enough to feel long, lol :p.

But every length has its charm. I looked cute with a pixie, chique with a bob. At SL, I could do a pretty dutch braid and tuck in the ends which looked so sleek. Apl meant I could do a french twist. At BSL I made my first forkbun. Around Waist-ish I managed a cinnabun and promptly stopped checking my length for a year. :D

I was very impatient to grow, but I always focus on the good sides of my current length. And stalk LHC members for inspiration. True story.

Dwemeri
September 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM

I've always had an 'on again, off again' relationship with it. We're on decent terms right now, but I'm still trying to figure out a good routine that keeps it healthy and styled a way I like it. It's worlds better than it was when I was younger though so I'm making progress. ;)

Not really, it's always been prone to S-Waves and a few curls left on it's own. It does seem less able to hold a curl right now though, but again that may be due to me trying to figure out a good washing routine.

Not really. I had knee length hair growing up and the older I got the more I fantasized about cutting it off. I'm far happier with my BSL but I'd still be down with getting a buzz cut at some point and growing it out just for the sheer novelty of experiencing lengths I've never had.

It's nice enough, I don't dislike it. I'm definitely going to be experimenting with all the colors when I get the chance though. :P

kendraf
September 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Meh I'm kinda bummed out about all the flyaways I have, even in my virgin hair - I'm guessing this is from not wearing my hair up enough and from the two instances it got badly tangled in the wind on a boat and in the back of a truck. And I'm getting very impatient to cut off the last few inches of bleached ends.

My texture was very different when it was all bleached and damaged. My waves hold much longer now that my hair is mostly virgin and undamaged.

I think I am a bit now simply because it's the longest I've ever had it and it has taken so long to get to a good place with it. I would be really upset if something happened to it now, so close to my final goal of hip length.

My natural color is a bit dark and boring, but with some subtle balayage highlights (no ombre on the ends) it would be just right.

missrandie
September 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
How do you feel about your hair? I adore my hair. My hemline looks a little funky, but that'll improve with length.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? not really. It's always been barely wavy or fluffy straight.
Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes I am. It's always been one of my favorite features!
How do you feel about your color? I love my coyote hair! I'm blonette and tawny with individual strands ranging from light blonde to darkest brown,ans even some red ones.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? now that I can put my hair up in twists and buns, it's all good. I now just enjoy the length as it comes, and I don't worry about my goals much anymore. I'll get there when I get there :)

Obsidian
September 29th, 2016, 02:19 PM
How do you feel about your hair? Not a good day, I hate just about everything about my hair at the moment but normally I'm quite happy with it

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? Yes, its gotten curlier in back.

Are you attached to it emotionally? Somewhat, getting more attached as I put more time into growing it

How do you feel about your color? My natural color is a ashy blond, I don't mind it but its gotten darker/ashier with age and I dislike that. I currently henna and love it.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? Hate my current length. Not long enough to put up but long enough that its in my face all the time. Not sure if I'm liking no bangs either, it makes my hair look really shapeless.

Kajzh
September 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised to see how many people dislike or have mixed feelings about their hair. I assumed there would be more enthusiasm across the board! It makes me feel a *little* more normal for my response.

Moonfall
September 30th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I don't feel very good about it. I like my hair color, but that's about it. I find that my texture makes it very hard to grow long, strong hair with a thick and even hemline. It splits really easily, sinds the ends are dry no matter what I try (and believe me, I've tried a lot). I kind of like having wavy/curly hair, but it doesn't stick together very well.

Yes. My hair used to be less frizzy and somewhat less wavy/curly when I was little. It began to change around age 10.

Definitely, yes. I would never drastically change it.

I quite like it. :)

Not really. I was stuck at APL for years, when I still used to visit a salon every now and then. I haven't been to a salin for four years now, and I have been maintaining it myself. I had expected my hair to grow more, but of course there's also the curly curse that makes it look shorter than it really is. The ends are thinner than I want them to be, and I doubt if I'll ever be able to have long hair with a full hemline. I hope to reach a full TBL at least.

Elizabeth E
March 31st, 2018, 02:15 PM
Okay, so I really do love my hair. The length is tolerable - I guess that once the idea of knee length hair enters your mind, anything shorter than that looks kinda meh. It would be great if my hair were a little thicker, but I'm perfectly happy with my current thickness. Since I quit using blowdryers and heated styling tools, my hair has become so much silkier and voluminous, plus it is wayyyyyyyyyyy more shiny than it ever was before. (I think that's because of all the oils I put on it). When I was a little kid, I always wanted blonde hair; my hair used it be medium brown but here around the age of 12 it started darkening dramatically and now it's a very dark brown, almost black at the crown. With so many blondines and regular brunettes in my region, I love how my colour makes me stand out.
When I was younger and my hair shorter, it used to be very unruly and curly, but these days it dries naturally in soft waves. For a while, I wanted to have straight hair - because you don't have that problem with shrinkage - but soon learned that it just doesn't look as good on me.
So on the contrary, I feel good about my hair and I care for it like a fragile child. Mostly it's protected and wrapped up in a bun, but when I leave it loose once a week after it's washed, I enjoy pampering it. The idea of cutting it is beyond horrifying!

Trip
March 31st, 2018, 02:31 PM
Happy, for the most part. Its much much shorter and thinner than ideal but i take good care of it and get a lot of compliments
No its pretty uch exactly the same texture as when i was 5. The color has turned a lot more red in tone even without henna
Yes and no? If it fell out or got cut i would probably cry and be bummed but ive had short hair for the majority of my life and know it looks good
Love it
Yes like i said i still get a lot of complients on it and have the longest hair other than my mom in my family/friend group who all have really short hair so whatever

cjk
March 31st, 2018, 02:44 PM
How do you feel about your hair? Uncertain but accepting. I did not grow up in a society that viewed long hair as a thing for men...certainly not professional or accomplished men. Trailer trash, maybe.

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? Seemingly so. Though since I've never grown the sides and back I can't be certain. The front and top have always been wavy, deep pronounced waves. They still are, though the waves have changed a bit. The sides and back are apparently curly.

Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes and no. I like my hair. I like having my hair. But I shaved with a cancer friend and understand, now, that pretty as it might be hair is just an affectation, and pretty unimportant. Having said that, as a man in his forties, I'm delighted to not be going bald. Medication caused hair loss in my thirties and I felt a definite sense of emotional loss. I've always been defined by my beautiful hair.

How do you feel about your color? Well I like my natural color. Ashen/strawberry blond, varying through the year. The slow appearance of grays isn't really bothering me too much, either.

Aredhel
March 31st, 2018, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty neutral about it. I neither love or hate my hair.

Nope.

Not really.

I'm happy about my colour. :)

My hair has pretty much been at this length most of my life (sometimes a little longer, sometimes a little shorter), so I'm pretty used to it.

Ophidian
March 31st, 2018, 02:58 PM
It's my friend. Kind of like a houseplant. Like it's alive in it's own way, and I take care of it and it just kinda hangs out and grows.

Yes. It was a lot straighter when I was younger.

Yes.

I like it.

Yes, and that's becoming easier to do now that I can do more proper longhair things with it (i.e. throw it up with a fork and forget about it). It was harder to appreciate when I was growing through the in-between stages and all I could do was wrangle it into a bandanna or tons of little claw clips to get it out of the way.

Lady Stardust
March 31st, 2018, 06:13 PM

I like it a lot. I sometimes wish it was thicker or wavier or curlier or a different colour but I’m happy with what I’ve got. It’s mine, it reflects my heritage, I can see my family in it. People often tell me that my hair always looks nice. The rest of me may well look like I haven’t seen a full length mirror for years but at least my hair always looks nice.

I don’t think so, but I’ve come to understand its texture a bit more. I used to think I had the straightest hair possible but then I met my husband...who has the straightest hair possible. I realise now that mine has some wave to it, although it pretty much disappears when it’s dry.

Yes, I’d hate to lose it. I care very much about how it looks - it’s right there next to my face so I don’t want it to look stupid. I don’t care so much about the length - I would love to have long hair, but I put condition and whether or not it suits me as higher priority. I just love hair of all types, colours, textures. I have been perfectly happy with short hair and would be again. I’m very grateful for what I have, and I’m very aware of how it can be taken away by illness or medication, so I appreciate what I’ve got.

I like my natural colour a lot - chestnut brown, almost exactly like a conker, dark brown with golden red highlights. So of course I dye it :-) I use henna to bring out the red tones, it’s a bit like wearing make up in that it doesn’t hide my natural colour, it just enhances it. I like having dark hair, but would prefer, in an ideal world, that it was a striking dark red in all lights.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length you’re at now?

Yes definitely. I can’t stand the thought of not being happy until I get to a certain length, because that could be years away and why make myself unhappy for all that time? It’s hard sometimes to accept awkward stages, but I just try to enjoy them for what they are. I haven’t set a goal length, because my goal is to be happy with what I’ve got. I’m waiting to see how it evolves.

Dark40
March 31st, 2018, 06:23 PM
As during my childhood I've loved my hair. Over the years it has been through some changes. Especially, in both color and texture. When I was born I had cold black hair, and it was wavy and curly, and as I got into my toddler years it got thicker. So, I had to start putting chemical relaxers on it to straighten it, and have been do so ever since 6 years old. When I was in my teens I would often use heat tools every single day too but it wasn't flat-irons. Because, as I was coming up as a teen we didn't have flat-irons back in the 1980's yet. We just had blow-dryers and hot-curling irons, and I started coloring my hair at the age of 18. But I love the length that it's at right now but I do really want it to grow a lot longer than what it is right now.

Harley_Blake
April 1st, 2018, 02:26 PM
I'm happy with my curls and thickness. I'm okay with my length right now, even though it's short. I wish it was longer, but I'm enjoying the journey.

Nope. Solid 2c my whole life.

Very.

Some days I wish it was darker, but I've learned to love my medium brown color.

Sometimes it hurts to look at gorgeous TBL hair and think about how long it will take me to achieve, but I'm still okay with my length right now.

Onthepath
April 1st, 2018, 03:58 PM

Overall I'm happy with it. Like Lady Stardust said above, I am grateful for what I've got.

It has always been some level of wavy.

Yes, but that didn't stop me from experimenting with it over the years. It was a form of expression and I liked to be able to vary it.

As a child it was pretty to me. As an adult it turned a color I wasn't as happy with so I changed it often. I accept my natural color now and am ready to just let it be.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length you’re at now?

I am learning to appreciate where it's at now. Sometimes it's a bit challenging but I need to be patient.

Corvana
April 1st, 2018, 04:51 PM
I've had a weird relationship with my hair growing up. I always liked to play with it, brushed it so much. As a teen I used tons of heat tools and chemical dyes. Puberty made my hair really curly and I didn't know how to take care of it (like when I brushed it I expected the curls to stay in tact.) And then when it frizzed ip I hated it. At the same time though, I've always been so attached to my hair, would never trim it because I didn't want to throw away all the time I've waited for that inch to grow. Since being here at the LHC, I've chopped off all dye and damage and im really falling in love with my natural color, texture and shine. When I dyed my hair my roots always looked dull and dark, but now that my hair is about 5-6in long all over my head I'm seeing so much gold! My hair glows now and I'm even more attached to it than ever, obsessed with babying the ends.

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? For me, since my hair is the shortest it's been in awhile, I don't feel quite like myself, my hair doesnt reflect me just yet. I am seeing it grow though and I'm getting more and more excited about it

I'm new here so I can't see pictures really, but some do show up and the long beautiful hair I see on here makes me sooo excited about growing my fresh virgin hair and trying new things.
Thanks!

How do you feel about your hair?: I'm much much happier with it than I think I've ever been in my life. I maybe loved it more when it was purple, but tallying up everything I think I'm happier with it now.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? I have no clue, honestly. I've always been under the impression that my hair was straight, but after joining here and reflecting on past treatment and problems and even digging out older photos, I learned that I've got wavy hair. But I don't know when that happened! At least high school, though. Maybe earlier!
Are you attached to it emotionally? Hmm... Yes and no? I wouldn't be unhappy if I went back to a pixie, but at this time I'd prefer more length not less.
How do you feel about your color? Sometimes I wish it was a little more red, like it used to be in high school. But it hasn't been that red in forever, and I'm learning to love it as it is!
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I'm enjoying it more and more, I think. It was a bit of a struggle from SL to APL, because there was so little I could do with it! But if I hit BSL and never grow further, I don't think I'd be unhappy. My hair health is super improved, though! Definitely super content there.

leayellena
April 2nd, 2018, 01:21 AM
Nice thread. Btw: happy Easter! :)

How do you feel about your hair? Generally, I like it. I'd prefer no wave at all because my 2a waves are awkward in the middle.

Has your hair changed its texture over the years? I don't know. I think it's straight mostly but frizzy. My mom kept my hair short so I could not understand why it doesn't look like it was styled anyhow. It curled and felt limp as it pleased. I thought I had very wavy hair now I discovered it's frizzy fine straightish hair.

Are you attached to it emotionally? yes. It makes me feel myself. I don't "attract" with my handicap, I attract attention to my hair and the fact that I can do something with it that looks more complicated than it actually is. Love such updos. With short hair I look like a child especially because I can't hold a curling iron in my hands for example.

How do you feel about your color? Natural color? Yes. But I think it darkened very much because of using conditioner. I don't think about lightening it in any way! I like my dark hair color. My man says I am looking really Asiatic a bit with my dark hair. Cool!

If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? No. I want longer hair. Minimum classic, maximum floor length. I am tired of pimple updos, thin braids because of layers, not long enough for a true Chinese stick bun, not being able to do unbraided updos (my hair hates to be braided. I shed more if I braid it, but then it's secure.

Stray_mind
April 2nd, 2018, 01:46 AM

I feel like it's not really what i want it to be, but i also think i might be having unrealistic expectations, so i kind of accepted it as it is...
My feelings towards my hair change like my overall self appreciation. Sometimes i feel great about my hair and sometimes i hate to even look at it.
But right now, i feel quite neutral.

My hair changes it's texture every day, hahaha!

I do think it used to be much straighter when i was a child. Then, as i got older, it started forming more body wave and now i have the body wave And wurls forming all around, especially at the ends.

I feel really bad when my seasonal shedding comes around. If my hair starts thinning, i think i will feel down about it too, so i believe that i Am emotionally attached to my hair to some extent.

It's not a special color, i didn't like it at all a couple years back, but i am learning to appreciate it as it is... When i think about it, none of my colors are striking or would be showstopping in the streets. I am all very dull and muted, my skin, eyes and hair alltogether... Oh well..

Sort of. I like how my hair looks bouncy and lightweighted and i like that it forms those waves and wurls at times. I think as it gets longer, my hair will straighten out, probably become more 1c sadly...

Milady_DeWinter
April 2nd, 2018, 02:04 AM
How do you feel about your hair? Hopeful. It's not at its best, but in some years it'll be great :)

A lot. When I was a child it was straight, 1c or so, mixed with 2a. During puberty more waves started appearing, and finally I become 2c!

Here's an example, I know we all crave pics lol: me at 8-9 years (LOL at my 90's outfit), and me much later, with my close friend Raquel.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31054&d=1522663211

Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes. Love it. People remember me for my hair, it's like a flag for anyone who knows me :)

How do you feel about your color? I'm naturally tawny, almost a dark blonde in the tips in summer with enough sun. I never really appreciate it until I dyed it... Now I'm at almost 10 months without henna and 16 months without dyes, to grow my natural color again.

Not at my goal lenght yet by far, but I'm enjoying new hairstyles and hair care during the process! :) I'll be at HL soon, and I'm quite happy with it.
My goal (by now) would be tailbone curly/classic stretched :D

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 02:07 AM

I like it. Want it to not fall out, please. I’ve wanted other hair—always thicker hair—but I think it’s just a desire for variety v

Gotten wavier and coarser.

Honestly, when all my hair started falling out, i had so many other things I was more worried about. So yes...but way less than I’d have thought? And I’m way too lazy for wigs.

It took a long time to get used to because I was a blondette until very recently. It’s like someone else’s hair.

I like it, though. I feel it’s more dramatic than light brown—but on the downside, it’s more aging and i can’t dye it lots of colors with deposit dyes anymore. :(. I’ve basically got just one color.

My hair is utterly useless now because of the weird taper, but that’s temporary. I’ve declared knee as a goal, but that may not be realistic with by drugged-up hair. Whatever. It’s just hair. I’ll be fine!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 2nd, 2018, 02:30 AM

I like it, for the most part, and I never would have imagined it could reach this length (knee).

Only the waviness, which has been stretched out by the weight of the hair. If my hair was, say at APL it would be very much wavier than it is now. But i can get wavier hair by using braidwaves if I want, so it doesn't bother me.

Yes. I would hate for anything to happen to it. I do worry sometimes about losing it to ageing or illness, then tell myself to enjoy it and make the most of it right now - because nobody knows what the future may bring.

I am growing out my dye and love my virgin hair - however it blends so well with the dyed hair that I love all of it! So I am happy colourwise. The growing out is a fascinating and very enjoyable experience too.

I am still working on length and thickness goals but nevertheless still enjoying what I have now, yes, nine days out of ten. :) So while I still have goals to aim for, I am basically happy with my hair. It's a continually changing and evolving creature, and I find it fascinating.

GalaMoon
April 2nd, 2018, 03:11 AM

I've learned to love it over the years. I used to dislike many things about it, but now I wouldn't change anything about it.

Not really, no.

I see my hair as an expression of my personality, so I guess that would be...yes.

I used to hate it, but ever since I started growing out my natural color, I like it so much that even the thought of using a deposit only hair dye makes me nervous. I also think it suits me better than any bottle shade I've tried, nature knows best it seems.

I haven't reached my goal length, to be honest, I'm not even sure what my goal length is. I don't dislike my current length, but I want it longer. Health wise...it could use some improvement, but that will take time and patience.

ravenskey
April 2nd, 2018, 10:04 AM
I love my hair - it just how I wanted it when I was younger.

When I hit puberty it went from 1a/M/C/ii to 2a/C/iii.

I have put a lot of effort into it the past couple of years so yes.

I love my hair colour which is a good thing considering it's jet black and would be impossible to dye.

I haven't reached my goal length but I'm enjoying watching the progress every month - my hair grows quite fast - and it gives me time to practice hairstyles. Health wise: I just got a cut which got rid of all my split ends and now I'm caring for it more hopefully it will stay healthy.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 2nd, 2018, 02:17 PM
I dont know. Im not super happy with my hair. It gets curlier and curlier over time which is sucking up my length.
I dont like my natural color, and I wish my hair would lay smooth like "more conventional" girls hair.
I saw a girl walking through the parking lot at work the other day, her hair was wavy and obviously heat styled but it looked neat and nice.
I dont know, I am just unhappy with the way my hair looks. Even as it gets longer, im unhappy with it. Because it doesnt look "normal".
Eventually it will pass, maybe. But once I reach TBL I plan to start heat styling and coloring again. I just wanted the length.
I couldnt get there with chemicals and damaging agents but I plan to stop at TBL and dont wish to grow any longer than that.
That is just how I am dealing with it and my feelings for my hair.

Dark40
April 2nd, 2018, 03:11 PM
Me too! liking the hair texture and condition, it's not got many layers, just a few on top section and rest is pretty much blunt cut and nice and thick. but still not happy with length. I'm more comfortable with it as I'm apl now (just reached) but need more length to be happy lol

Yes, I know the feeling on that one! lol Lately, I've been happy with my length! It is getting longer. Right now, it's waist length. I've just made it to waist length last September. So, I'm still hovering over in that length for a while. Then, hopefully by the end of this year around Christmas I'll be hip length or Tailbone Length. Yeah, I hate that length of armpit length. lol

Dark40
April 2nd, 2018, 03:20 PM
I dont know. Im not super happy with my hair. It gets curlier and curlier over time which is sucking up my length.
I dont like my natural color, and I wish my hair would lay smooth like "more conventional" girls hair.
I saw a girl walking through the parking lot at work the other day, her hair was wavy and obviously heat styled but it looked neat and nice.
I dont know, I am just unhappy with the way my hair looks. Even as it gets longer, im unhappy with it. Because it doesnt look "normal".
Eventually it will pass, maybe. But once I reach TBL I plan to start heat styling and coloring again. I just wanted the length.
I couldnt get there with chemicals and damaging agents but I plan to stop at TBL and dont wish to grow any longer than that.
That is just how I am dealing with it and my feelings for my hair.

Yes, I know the feeling. I wish my hair was a lot longer than waist length right now too! And, there are days that I don't like the way my hair looks too. It always looks all frizzy and unruly. But I don't want to heat style it every single day. Because, that will cause damage, and I won't reach my goal. Which is thigh length or a bit longer. Like, ankle length maybe. We'll see if I can handle it at hip length, tailbone length or classic length.

AutobotsAttack
April 2nd, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thanks!

1. I feel very proud of myself for being able to achieve as long of a length as I have. With hair types such as mine you don’t see many people past BSL or MBL. I like all the unique qualities of my hair, and how delicate it is.

2. After high school I purposefully changed my hair texture by relaxing it to achieve a straighter look.

3. Very very very emotionally attached to my hair

4. Love my hair color. It’s a dark sandy brown color with hints of coppery reddish parts.

5. I kind of have learned to enjoy my hair at the length it is now, but I still get rather frustrated that it isn’t where I want it to be yet. Despite all the length I’ve gained, it still isn’t enough yet.

nycelle
April 2nd, 2018, 05:28 PM
I like my hair, a lot. If I could control the fly aways and frizz, I'd love it.

Yes, it went from straight to wavy.

Yes and no. My identity isn't attached to my hair, and it doesn't represent me. I have no issues cutting inches and inches off if I feel it needs it.
On the other hand, I get very upset when I see splits or breakage. And frizz drives me nuts. So yeah, there are definite emotional responses that I should learn to control.

I don't feel any particular way about my color. It's brown with lots of natural highlights. But I don't love it, or hate it. To me it's just a color and it looks good with my complexion. That's why I stopped coloring. Well that and the damage.

Yes. I think it looks pretty good now even though I'm about 5 inches from my goal of waist.. My biggest concern is health, not length. So as long as it stays healthy, or as healthy as dead hair can be, I'm good.

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2018, 09:51 PM
I love it now:crush:

There was never an attachment to it growing up, and when it was long in the 60's and 70's I just ignored it for the most part.
As the years passed I tried the fro perms, sun in, coloring, the hip cuts....meh

That is hard to say because over the years I didn't have the available products like we do now to condition and moisturize it etc.
Back then we had only BRECK shampoo that left you SQUEAKY CLEAN, then your fried it with a hot dryer or curling iron.
I have always had the double volume curl explosions in humid weather, but never gave thought to it.

If anything I see a difference between my silver and my remaining dark blonde hair presently.
The silver is very soft, fine, and curls on it's own easily.... while the darker hair is more medium and wavy, with a bit of curl if it is really humid.

In a sense I am....I worked hard emotionally and physically to grow this out from layered chin length....to long, all one length, silvering hair...in an area where everyone here cuts it short then ....'curls up and dyes'; I stand out to say the least....especially with unique hair toys lol

So yes.....and I also have a concern that something will happen where I can't take care of it, and others may cut or damage it......silly I know :o
In reality my health matters most over my hair which can grow back .....and all will be well....so I let those thoughts go :wink:

I love it and have loved it since my 50th birthday!
A stylist ruined my hair with a coloring gone wrong, and I had to have a foot of damage cut off (waist to chin), and then re-dyed to my my root color.
From that day forward I swore never to color again and was thrilled to see the 'real me' as I turned 50....for the first time in 20 years!
The silver came in from that time on and I adore my natural highlights and color combo...it is UNIQUELY ME :D

I hit my goal of Hip last Spring (my LONGEST length in 64 years) ,then cut back to waist in July; that is my sweet spot(it was in the 60's too)!
But I do miss Hip length for braiding style variations because my general length is shorter due to my very short torso and short distance between landmarks.
So....back to hip I grow.....and will be there for the 2nd time @ March.

Thanks for the possibility to reflect on this....I have a lot to be grateful for ......the journey the past 4 years have been a joy :joy:

18 months later I still feel the same...the only difference is that I missed HIP so much I grew it out for the 3rd time and am staying here...my NEW 'sweet spot' :love:

My hair is now 90%+ silver and the texture has changed to fine curls but more of it (thicker pony circ), and it doesn't have the heaviness my darker hair had which was uncomfortable.

I am in the long hair zone :meditate:

spirals
April 2nd, 2018, 11:19 PM
I don't have a lot to say, except:

a) I love it.
b) That flies in the face of society. (I'm female, not supposed to like anything about myself physically).

poli
April 3rd, 2018, 12:55 AM
I like it. I would like to grow out all the layers and remaining damage, but I feel confident it will happen soon.
I think it does change a tiny bit - it becomes a little bit more wavy (and silver) at my temples.
Not really. I feel I could shave it and not regret it, I just don't want to at the moment.
I love my henna color. Not ready to give that up. My natural color is nice too, but growing it out ...bleh... that would bring the frustration back for sure. I will do it when I'm ready to cut my hair short again.
It is now longer than it's ever been so can't complain. I enjoy it :)

Katsura
April 3rd, 2018, 12:57 AM
How do you feel about your hair? I feel ok. It's in relatively good shape now that I've stopped doing bad things to it, and learning about good things instead.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? No, not really.
Are you attached to it emotionally? Yes. I've suffered from trichotillomania and, well... I also often see my grandmother when I look at my hair. Especially now that I'm growing longer. I have a hair related personal memory about my grandmother.
How do you feel about your color? It's tricky, my natural color is "mousy", I guess. I've been hennaing lately. I dislike doing my roots all the time.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? Yes. I tend to get obsessed easily, but I had a wake-up call recently.

silverstars
April 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM

Its okay. I am re-learning how to deal with it as it grows...again. The old henna is all gone and its wavier/curlier than I'm used to now that it is long enough to do this again.

Its probably gotten more wavy. In old pictures from when I was small and before I started using a hair drier my hair has some wave but not a whole lot. I spent a long time blowing it dry and ignoring my natural texture even during my 7 or so years on LHC. The henna I had on it killed most of its wave anyway and by hip length I also had a bunch of mechanical damage. Putting in a bit of gel and air drying results in it being almost curly these days (jaw-length bob growing from pixie).

I spent a long time being attached to preserving length and forgetting that enjoying it and having quality length mattered too. Cutting back to a chin-length bob and then to a pixie for a while 2 years ago was a refresh that I needed both physically and mentally. I have realized that its okay to enjoy it what ever length it happens to be. I spent a little to much time being obsessive over it.

I love my natural color. I do miss the red tint henna gives it sometimes, but so far during this new grow out, it hasn't been enough for me to actually do it again.

I have been really missing buns. My hairstick/fork collection has been gathering dust for a few years. I like that I can do braids again, even if they are limited to french/dutch braided pigtails. The hairstyle varieties are slowly coming back which is nice.

longmane
April 4th, 2018, 08:17 PM
It's a lot of work but I'm thankful for it
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? Not really. My hair was damaged but the texture was always the same
Yes because I like it. I spent years consistently taking care of it gently and growing it out.
It's my favourite hair trait
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? This is the longest and healthiest it has ever been. Also lately it started to become time consuming. I'm currently between WL and HL and my goal is TBL. I enjoy it because I think I have enough hair already. I'm not very eager for it to grow as much as I used to.

shaluwm_agape
April 4th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Overall yes i am.

It has changed quite a bit right now it can be anywhere from 1c-2ab

I would never cut it to pixie again so i guess i would say yes. I try not to be emotionally attached to anything. But i am excited to be growing my hair.
Yes and no. I dyed my hair last july trying to achieve a shine and at the end of it regretted that decision. They dye is almost growing out. I am super happy about that. But i really miss my shiny hair.

Yes i have. For me personally this is about more than just hair. It's about me getting to know myself and learning patience. The journey is 9/10 timesis more important than the destination.

Platzhalter
April 4th, 2018, 09:25 PM
- rather ambivalent, to be honest
- yes, it was completely straight when I was young (it's rather wavy now with a few curls inbetween)
- not really
- not too happy, but won't dye anymore for various reasons
- my goal is term, so the current growth stall makes judging things a bit difficult ;)

Glitch
April 5th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Most days I love it, other days I wish it was different.

Yes! I had pin straight hair throughout my childhood, but from my teen years and onwards, it became really wavy beyond my ears. It's still pin straight down to my ears, which I still find strange.

Yeah I'd probably cry if someone chopped it off lol.

I quite like it most of the time, though medium chocolate brown is my favourite whenever I see it!

Yes -I've never had hair this long, so it already feels long and cool to me :joy:

chomsky
April 5th, 2018, 05:18 AM

I love it. I mean, I have to , it's not going to change because I don't like it.

The thing I love most about my hair is its versatility. The curls eat over half the length so I can wear it out an it'll be short (a tiny bit past shoulder length), or I can straighten it and see its full length. And that length now is getting pretty impressive, for me anyway. ;)

Yes! I was an all-over 3c as a child, now my canopy has relaxed into waves, or very loose curls depending on how you look at it. I'm fully expecting it to continue to straighten out as I get older, the length of my hair will eventually weigh the curls down too.

Yes and no, I guess? If I was to lose it and it was not my decision, then yes I'd be upset. But I enjoy short hair, so if I wanted to cut it, I would. It's not a part of who I am, and it's usually done to keep it out of the way.

How do you feel about your colour?

It's a deep brown. One stylist called it deep chocolate, and said that people pay £100s to get it, so I should be happy with it. I have nothing against my hair colour, it has some pretty tones in there if you look hard enough. I am greying though, and have been since I was 11-13, I've got to make the most of the colour while I still have it.

Premature greying is the one thing I would change about my hair. Only the women in my family get it too, it's so unfair. Hmph.

This one doesn't apply to me, I don't think, since I very rarely see my hair at its full length. I don't have MBL (almost waist length) hair a majority of the time, I have SL hair! :)

Ligeia Noire
April 7th, 2018, 04:05 PM

It has changed quite a bit, or to be more specific, it went back to my wurly baby years, I had a period where my hair was very straight, teenage hormones and then around 18 or so it was the curliest it ever was, 2c, all of it, because it was shorter, waist length, from them on, since it has become considerably longer it is wurlier only at the ends.

Very very much so, I do not obsess over it, most days it is just there but as long as it is there I am me, my hair is a very important part of myself and my sanity.

I love it to pieces, it is auburn, I always had people asking me if I highlighted it which I never did, that is how much it changes outdoors. Never coloured it, not even with fantasy temporary colours.

I have, I want more, I want to hit the floor and then probably cut it back to ankle or leave it I do not know, I want huge buns and more length to do double crown braids but I enjoy this length very much. I do long for when my hair is all one length, my face framing layers are pretty long now but they are still 20cm shorter than the rest and the hemline is not very even, I always screw up trying to cut it myself, I have to ask my husband to even it but I am afraid. So yeah above all I do benign neglect and enjoy the journey

njrb
April 12th, 2018, 06:00 PM
How do you feel about your hair? I am currently really happy with it, though I am thinking about cutting back some amount because the length is a bit less convenient at times.
Has your hair changed its texture over the years? not really that I know of.
Are you attached to it emotionally? Definitely. I wanted long hair for a long time before finally managing to achieve it. The time and effort of growing it out makes having it that much more valuable.
How do you feel about your color? No complaints, though there are the first few gray strands showing up now.
If you haven't hit your goal length, or health, have you learned to enjoy the length yours at now? I have reached my goal length and passed it by a few inches. As I was growing out though I enjoyed all of the milestones and learning to style it differently etc. Even though I wanted it longer, for me everything was pretty new along the way and made it fun. That might not apply tomany on here though.

leayellena
April 14th, 2018, 03:42 AM
I stopped the obsession about the texture. My hair curls and bends and stays straight as it pleases it. I am fine with straightish wannabe wavish hair as long as it is up... And honestly speaking I think my hair is that hair type (if there is one officially) that looks better up than down. I wear my hair up or in a braid 99% of the time so...

Kae612
April 14th, 2018, 01:11 PM

I like it. I think it's one of my best features now. I'm proud of it. But it's also an insecurity (the floofy bits that stick out off my crown). And a pain (literally) - sometimes I get headaches from buns, or bits pull and I get frustrated and can't do styles because something always pulls. When that happens I want to try going back to shoulder length. I liked that too. I may eventually. But on days like today when I find a miracle comfortable spot/style, I feel like it's such a fun thing and I don't want to lose it as a hobby :P

Yup. It used to be wavier and thicker/poofier. I have pictures of kid me with "triangle hair" above my ears sticking out like three inches either side of my head (it was also a notorious rats nest that could not be brushed, so short hair was enforced to my embarrassment and horror. May be why long hair feels like rebellion to me, not short hair haha).

I got trichotillomania around puberty, so the puberty vs trich changes are debatable. But I had bald spots and very very short hair for a number of years. Growing it out from there, it was wavy/curly. My confirmation pictures have these cute little curls - although I hated it at the time because I felt Very Noticeable with my short and sticky-outy hair. Getting teased/bullied for your hair can make you really sensitive to its appearance, which I still am.

I grew it out to about tailbone by the second year of uni, and it was still moderately wavy. I thought the change was just because of the weight, but when I cut it to above shoulder length I had the loose wavy behaving hair of my childhood dreams. I still love how I looked then. It no longer floofed, and it was cut and styled amazingly by a hairdresser with curly hair, so I really did not worry about styling. I slept on it damp and left the house, sometimes a pony.

Now my hair has grown out again, and it is much, much straighter than it used to be. My hair type is 2a but usually it ends up closer to 1c. It is also much thinner than it used to be, and I have spots/sections with short hair that doesn't grow - hence the residual insecurity. This is what's left of my trich damage I believe. My temples have very floofy fly aways, and there are always pieces around 1-4 inches around my crown that stick straight out and will not be tamed. The only area where I still have more curly/wavy hair is the underside. I have a section that is coarse and frizzy. I think I used to have more hairs like that dispersed throughout my hair, but those were the ones that triggered my trich on the top/crown - it never bothered me on the bottom.

I have had people ask me how I managed to "make" my hair straighter over the years, especially people who knew me in high school. But the answer is like, I pulled out all the little curly hairs in an obsessive manner for like.....5 years? Would not recommend. Lol.

Yes. Not to the length of it, exactly. I loved my below-chin length cut. I would still go back to that if I no longer felt that spending the time to deal with my long hair was worthwhile, or even just to change it up. I'm attached to my curiosity - I want to know how long I CAN grow it. I feel proud of the styles I've learned, and I enjoy getting the occasional hair compliment. And I'm also sensitive about it re: trich history. I am never confident it will not come back. The drive to pull has not disappeared. The spots on my scalp where I want to pull, I can still feel them. So I do worry about losing my hair to trich again, even though it's been maybe 8 years since I've had noticeable spots. I am attached to it.

I like it okay. I think it suits me. I'm used to it. But it is getting darker, and I am a little annoyed with that because I want to play with fun non-damaging colours. I think if I had lighter brown hair it would be easier to play with. I may end up bleaching some ends or strands to have a more noticeable spot to play. Red arctic fox shows up and I like it a lot, but I've done purple and it wasn't as strong, and I'm itching to try blue but I'm guessing it won't show up as nicely as the red sheen. I'll still probably try though :D

My partner mentions sometimes that my hair is "black" and I correct him emphatically that no, it is DARK BROWN (and I strongly suspect some colour blindness because I can clearly tell the difference!). Although if my parents' hair is any indication I am likely to end up with black/grey hair soon enough. My mom used to have light brown hair at my age, but it's been black with grey hairs the entire time I've been alive.

I am re-hitting an old milestone now, not quite at hip. But this time with a blunt hemline and healthier ends which I am definitely enjoying when it's down! Although I semi-regretted it for a few months because at mid-back with blunt ends I could no longer make buns of any kind. The ends still pop out and sometimes stick buns just collapse on me because the ends don't tuck well and it's hard to make it tight enough (I know I know, other people can make wrap buns at like APL - I do not have that skill :P if I have less than a hand-sized loop I can't get the loop around my base of hair at all, and if I make it too tight I hear hair snap as I wiggle the stick in, or it just pulls and hurts).

I don't have a specific goal-length in mind, although I'm a fan of Torrin and would love to just try classic to see how that goes, and I'm also super duper curious about my terminal length. So I guess my goals are hip-tailbone-classic-terminal? if I am still enjoying it. If I wasn't enjoying the length of my hair Right Now I would cut it back to shoulder. If it isn't fun, what's the point? And I know I look cute with shoulder length hair :D It's light and breezy and nothing pulls ever! hehe.

Margarita
April 15th, 2018, 01:54 AM

I feel a lot better about my hair, i can say its way more healthier than it was a few years ago. Its so good i care so much about my hair :3

Ofcourse, im 17 now, so im almost in the last stage of puberty. By that, my hair has begin to grow straight and no more curly from the roots. Im glad my hair ends are curly tho, and i care much better for my curls. Im not sure if i can describe my hair thin or thick, but i guess i have medium hair and by the treatments im doing twice a week it will go into thick. I also have some hair loss, im not that much worried but okay its a weird sign. =)

I would say im mostly attached to it mentally. Unfortunaly, i have OCD and it drives me crazy and fanatical about my hair. Constanly mistooking my hair as not enough good and healthy but i know i have healthy and beautiful hair.

I have dye it so many colors, some colors would go amazing like pink, violet grey and dark reddish-purplish violet, and some other colors would go very bad such as blonde and green
:P
Now i decided to remain in black color, and i love it.

I wish to reach my hair goal, so much. I would be sad and disappointed if i couldnt reach my hair length goal. For most of the years, my hair was bob. Now i want my blood back and grow beautiful hair, im so glad i found this forum and it has helped me into difficult times with my hair decisions! =D

Ondine11
April 15th, 2018, 06:41 AM

- PARANOID! It is finally at BSL & my old bangs are at CBL. Since it is growing in after hair loss caused by my hormones going wonky, I literally have nightmares about it all falling out. My hair is in much better condition, but, it is very fine. I’m loving the length & it is easier to manage.

- YES! As if by magic, it grows in much less curly. I’ve gone from 3 b to 2c-3a. And, with length, gravity become my hair’s friend.

-YES!!! One of my paranoid nightmares is having someone attack me & chop a bunch, forcing me to chop the rest, or losing it to a medical treatment or disease. I’d give up a toe faster!

How do you feel about your colour?

- Since I’m older, I’ve got a bunch of greys. From the ears back, I’m leaving them grow in, & I love them. Around the front, I’d have patchy, uneven stripes, so, I use a mild medium ash brown dye on the new grey growth only; trying not to overlap.

-I’ve officially called it at BSL, but, my UG is Classic. That’s about 2.5-3yrs away. Seems like FOREVER, but, being a member here keeps me inspired.

Joules
April 15th, 2018, 07:51 AM
It's not perfect, but I love it very much.

Yes! My hair used to be stick straight in my childhood, then when I turned 10 it suddenly started to curl. It curled very funny, cause at first it was only my fringe, then my canopy. The bottom part never really curled, if I wore my hair loose it looked like I tried to curl my hair and stopped halfway through :D by the time I was 16 my hair was pretty evenly wavy/curly all over. Around that time I started to really take care of my hair with all sorts of oils and stuff, now my hair is wavy, but significantly less than before, I guess it's just weighed down by its own length and a ton of moisture.

Of course I am!

I was fine with my natural color. I hennaed it last November, and I like how it looks now, too. I guess I learned to love my hair just the way it is, so I never really cared about its color.

I do enjoy my length now. Before I oficially joined LHC, I thought I had short terminal length and what I have now will stay with me forever. It was sad, but I came to terms with it. Now, even though I have faith that it can grow longer, I still know there is a possibility I'm gonna be stuck with this weird inbetween waist and hip tapered length, and I'm OK with it.

SnowDancer
April 17th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I really like my hair. I struggled with it when I was a teen because I didn't have a clue on how to manage the curls so it was mostly brushed til it frizzed out and put up in a scrunchie every single day. Now, especially since joining LHC I'm learning how to manage it and I've really come to appreciate it.

I don't think it has. Not naturally anyway. A few years back I dyed it so much the curls went straight but that was my own fault and have since been working hard on taking care of it and very slowly snipping off the straight bits that are now at the end. Only 2 or 3 inches left.

Yes. Definitely. My grandmother was a hairdresser and we lost her when I was a teen but I have so many memories of her waking up early to do my CL hair for school when I was younger. Having long hair reminds me of those times and makes me feel like she's still with me. She was like a second mom those memories are my favorite from my childhood.

My hair is currently blue-black, which I love, but I've sworn off dying since it's so damaging and I'm going to grow out my natural blonnette color.

My goal is classic and while I haven't reached it yet, I am enjoying the journey and having fun experimenting with different styles. I'm trying to focus on hair health for now and playing with my hair toys.

MoonRabbit
April 19th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Some days I love it, other days not so much. I love my texture and when I have a good hair day I really admire it but some days it looks dry, dull and just blah.

Not so much. If it's shorter I get a little curl to it but for as long as I can remember my hair has been wavy.

Yes, I never really was before but now since I spend my time trying my best to care for it. It has become a big part of my life.

Once I get the rest of this darn semi dye out of half my length I think I will be happy.

Length I am very much enjoying, I've never been this long and it is really fun to be on this journey. I'm really working on health and I plan to only focus on health once I reach tailbone. Then I can enjoy growth without any issues.