PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me figure out my hair type?

BrightLark
July 31st, 2016, 09:12 PM
I have had a lot of trouble classifying my hair, and because of this I don't really know what products and tips to use/search for. I compulsively brush it, and I hate knots (which happen very often). The first picture is my regular brushing routine, and the next is of my barely finger-brushed air-dried hair.

I've been told by some people it's a little wavy, but most people have told me it's very straight.

Brushed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VrkJBCMWeEA/V569pO8h3DI/AAAAAAAAEF0/axckj1Uex5ALTKGWaZHMoOJUYMq2SJWmwCL0B/w382-h509-no/IMG_5124.JPG

Unbrushed (the frizz is double of what you see in the picture)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2y-cGBNwnCo/V569pGuTitI/AAAAAAAAEF0/h2-Y0W0SzrkN1eh6TXBbF_irtrIE_Qf2QCL0B/w382-h509-no/IMG_5127.JPG

Decoy24601
July 31st, 2016, 09:25 PM
I'm not very good at hair typing, but I'd say you're definitely in the 2 range and likely 2a or 2b.

DweamGoiL
July 31st, 2016, 09:56 PM
I would agree 2a/b, but you should do a proper hairtyping picture. Wash your hair, condition it, comb it once to detangle and let it air dry. No touching, no finger combing...no products. Then take the picture again. If you leave it be and don't manipulate it, your wave might define itself a bit more.

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 06:31 AM
I'd call that right on the brink of 1c/2a (first pic). But technically that doesn't count as it's brushed!
And 2a/b for the second one.

I agree a proper hair typing picture is needed!

Arctic
August 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM
You are definitely wavy. The Fia's hairtyping system we use here is quite a bit more refined (although not perfect) than how avarage, non-hairboard following people would classify hair.

The hairtyping photo should not be combed at all, with fingers or otherwise. And I think what DweamGoil meant with "combing once" was, that you can comb it in the shower before final rinsing. But not after that. Then let air dry with no combing or brushing of any kind, and avoiding any and all manipulation the best you can - which is hard to do as we aren't sitting inside a vacuum. But the less you are able to touch it the better for hair typing.

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 08:34 AM
I echo what everyone is saying here, could be 2a/2b, but we need a proper typing picture to really figure it out!

Johannah
August 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM
I agree with all the above, 2a/2b but we need a better picture :)

HairPlease
August 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
I call 2a until you get a formal typing shot. :)