PDA

View Full Version : Which is better? To heavy oil and shampoo or not and CO?

arylkin
October 18th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I have a query, O Hair Experts! I'm wondering what is better or worse for hair, to heavily oil the ends and length for a day or two and then use shampoo to get it out, or just to lightly use coconut oil or shea and CO? I CO most of the time, but when I heavily oil my length overnight or over a couple days, I need some shampoo to get it out (I've tried leaving the conditioner on for extra time, and it's just not able to get all- or most- of the oil out).

So, any advice? I really love to do heavy oilings and things, but then I have to use shampoo. Which is better for hair?

Thanks!! :D

BlndeInDisguise
October 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I'm not at all an expert, and it probably depends on the individual person, but when you shampoo, do you shampoo your scalp as well as the ends? I guess that would be something to think about, especially if you aren't oiling your scalp as well as your ends.

If that's the case, then maybe doing a light oiling and then CO'ing might be the better route because it's less harsh on your "scalp hair". Not saying that all shampooing is harsh, but you (hopefully!) get my drift. :o

chrissy-b
October 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I think it depends on which your hair prefers. My length loves CO but my scalp is too sensitive and breaks out if I don't wash it at least twice a week. My hair really loves oils so I've been heavy oiling before a wash and my hair and scalp have been very happy with this routine.

SweetPea88
October 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't say either one is "better", it just depends on what your particular hair may like best. I personally cannot do CO since it makes my scalp itch and causes shedding, but my hair absolutely love coconut oil. I'd give both a try for a little bit and see what works best for you! :)

Elainehali
October 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have really straight hair like you, and I've had better luck with CO than oilings.

This is because with my hair the strands that get oil tend to stick to other strands that have been oiled. This makes my straight hair look kinda gross.

So while oilings may be amazing for someone with curls or waves, they are less than amazing on me.

I've had great luck with CO though!

spidermom
October 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
My hair and scalp don't tolerate CO very well, so I CWC with diluted shampoo most of the time. This gets heavy oiling out just fine.

Periwinkle
October 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
CO just doesn't work for me. I'll give it another go someday, but as it is, I'm not prepared to spend long washing my hair and I'm not prepared to do it often and it just doesn't get the grease out. Instead, I shampoo my scalp and use oil as a leave-in and then several times a week afterwards, and it works just fine.

mandeloo
October 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
not that I am an expert by any means, but I would say if you have a couple of days of not going anywhere to give the CO a try before shampoo. Shampoo, for my hair is never really good. So heavily oil your hair and then CO it out and if you're really feeling dangerous, light oil it again lol. From what I read on here, oil only has benefits to the hair itself (though some oil can make your hair crunchy depending on your hair thats why I say if you have nowhere to go try it out)

My hair is so messed up from heat styling and fake highlights that I would sacrifice looking like a dirty bum just to help restore it even a little. Ya feel meh dawg?

freznow
October 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Maybe you need to try a different oil for heavy oilings than you do for light ones. So that CO is enough to get it out. (Some oils may be washed out better by CO than others)