PDA

View Full Version : Short Pieces on Top of Head - Rough Handling?

kyoung221
July 31st, 2016, 07:32 PM
For about as long as I can remember, I've had short little pieces of hair around the top of my head. When it's humid, they'll kind of pouf out. When I'm working out and get sweaty, they tend to gather in weird curls that stick up from my head at awkward angles.

I just realized the other day that I tend to be pretty rough when towel drying my hair after washing it (which is at least every other day). Could that be causing breakage? What else might be causing it? Or perhaps I'm just destined to have a frizzy head. :?

LadyAdelina
July 31st, 2016, 07:43 PM
New hair is always growing in at different lengths, so even if you never broke a single hair, you'd still have baby hairs all over. :) I'd say that, since you're a 2a, it's just wavy enough that the short hairs stick out. For what it's worth, I've accepted my fate to just always have a fuzzy head, haha!

It's probably still a good idea to be less rough, though!

kyoung221
July 31st, 2016, 08:13 PM
Alas! I have a frizzy fate! Ah, well. I was just thinking about it today because I did a hot yoga class. I had my hair in a bun with a wide stretchy headband, and the weird curls managed to stick up behind the headband. So odd looking. And of course, I didn't realize what I looked like until several hours later, after walking around in public.

Anje
July 31st, 2016, 08:35 PM
Do they all end in the same spot? I had a nice chunk of hair that had clearly broken off right where I always wore a ponytail, back a bit before I joined LHC. I swore off all ponytails and styles that started with an elastic-held pony for years after that!

Jessiejeb
July 31st, 2016, 08:53 PM
may be differ growth rates and strenghth of hair

Decoy24601
July 31st, 2016, 08:57 PM
I'm 1c and get the same thing, but because of previous malnutrition and stress I lost a fair amount of hair thickness/volume, so it's even more pronounced. I have a full layer of hair that's at ear-length now because of it, but I do get normal "wispies" that like to stick out all over the place during the day. If it's all different lengths it's probably just normal growth. If most of it is at the same length it could be a mixture of damage and lots of new growth at the same time.

kyoung221
July 31st, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hm, I've never really looked at the lengths. I would say there are some different-length bits that are probably new growth, but it seems like there are little sections of about the same length. These sections are what stick out and look goofy. I think they're too short to have broken off from a ponytail, which made me think of the towel-drying. I suppose it could be stress or something, too.

CarrotTop
August 1st, 2016, 12:32 AM
I have 2c hair, and when I pull my hair back I instantly get a million curly wisps popping up. I'm pretty gentle with my hair, too. I don't think lots of wispies are an inherent problem. Of course, it's always a good idea to treat your hair gently when possible. :)