PDA

View Full Version : Blonde Gone Wrong

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 10:16 AM
UPDATE: Used purple shampoo (this morning, August 1st) and I think it has made a decent improvement (this is taken by a window):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24153&d=1470069250

FULL STORY:

Those who follow the "growing out dye" thread will probably have seen this saga playing out, but I figured I'd make a separate post so I don't keep bothering everyone in that thread.

To keep a long story short, I spent the last 3 years growing out black dye so that I could go blonde. I had tried to go from black dye to blonde a few times in the past (all of which resulted in yellow/orange hair), so I decided to just grow it all out and start fresh! It must be easier to go blonde from virgin hair, right?

Hmph.

So after a three year wait, I went to the salon this past Thursday. Walking in, my hair looked like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24073&d=1469471654
(The ends are old, faded black dye. I had virgin hair to about APL).

Walking out, it looks like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24144&d=1469974552

It is pretty darn yellow.

The stylist did heavy highlights and toned it twice. This final look is not what I was going for. I had seen the stylists work in the past, which looked absolutely gorgeous. He's very experienced and I really trusted him...so what the heck!

He did start the appointment by saying that my hair was "dark" and it would take more than one session to get the very light blonde I was going for...but yellow? Nobody said anything about yellow. If I wanted yellow hair, I would have just kept the hair I had after bleaching out the black dye.

So, I don't really know what to do at the moment. I have another appointment scheduled for the first week of September. Should I just wait until the next appointment and see how that goes? Should I abandon this stylist and go somewhere else?

Thus far I haven't tried purple shampoo on it, I've just let it sit in coconut oil. As you can probably guess, I'm feeling quite disappointed and frustrated with this whole situation. But I've never gone blonde with virgin hair, so is this "yellow" stage a normal part of the process? Will it be better after the next appointment?

Help? :(

Amenahh
July 31st, 2016, 10:29 AM
My sister has a darker virgin colour than yours and is dyed light blonde. She did go through a yellow stage in the beginning, before reaching light blonde. Her roots are always darker than the rest of her hair because she needs multiple application to reach that colour. However, she uses a toner or something to make it less yellow.

I'd say wait for the next appointment to see. However, my sister's experience is all I know, so hopefully someone who knows better will be able to help.

Plus it looks like only your ends are a bit yellow, they might just need another application.

Decoy24601
July 31st, 2016, 10:32 AM
I think yellow is common any time you try to go from a darker color to blonde. My mother tried dying her hair blonde from both a light brown and red (separably, of course, and both were dyes) and got yellow both times.

I'd wait to see how the next appointment goes and ask about the yellow.

Eas693
July 31st, 2016, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately this is pretty normal. I go through orange about halfway through and then it ends up yellow. After a second treatment it goes blonde. Some people need 3 to get rid of all the yellow do to hair type and how porous your hair is.

It seems like you really really want this. So my advice is to go through with the next appointment and prepare to do your roots like this too.

missrandie
July 31st, 2016, 11:16 AM
I looked like a lemon after getting my pixie bleached. I never got a pretty cool blonde.. I had to go platinum to get rid of the yellow.

Heck, I still have my purple shampoos from that escapade. Tell you what, my favorite was my Pravana sulfate free purple shampoo. It toned like mad. It was awesome. Though, if I left it long enough, my hair would have a purple hue for a few days rather than just look cool :)

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 11:38 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I guess I will wait for the next appointment and see how it goes. I am just really frustrated because I planned this to have perfect, pretty blonde hair for an event next weekend...and now it's going to look like s**t.

I think the other frustrating thing has been that I've been given so much conflicting information by colorists. First, that my natural hair was fairly light so going blonde would be a piece of cake. Then, that my natural hair is actually quite "dark" so it won't be perfect after a single visit. Okay??

This colorist seemed very pleased with the results he'd gotten from this single visit. He really seemed like it was nearly perfect and I could go on my way, not needing to come back for another session until my roots were getting quite long and needed a touch up. I just wanted to scream "are you serious?! IT'S YELLOW!!! I want this fixed ASAP!!" but he really seemed to believe it looked great. :S Maybe it does look great for a single session, but that doesn't mean I want to walk around like this for weeks.

MidnightMoon
July 31st, 2016, 11:47 AM
Id wait until September. Your hair is dark but when I think of hair it would be a trouble lightening I think of this almost black brown, black, very coarse... yours is just medium and looks fine.
My sister had some sort of ombre done a couple of months ago. It ended up looking copperish and while it didnt look bad it wasnt exactly blonde. Abput 3 weeks ago she went back for a touch up and left with this perfect colour, almost platinum streaks, light enough...just beautiful. It might just be a matter of working over what you already have to fix any details and youll have the pretty hair you longed for. Its already almost as light as needed and roots lighten faster so from now on it will be easier I think. Dont be discouraged... the person will most likely know better what to do by looking at your current state.

lapushka
July 31st, 2016, 12:20 PM
If he said he could do it in a single visit, then this is the color he was expecting and that he wants you to like. If you needed multiple visits, he should have told you so you could plan for your special event accordingly. This sounds a little off in expectations. I'm so sorry it wasn't what you expected. Maybe also you should have told him that this isn't what you want - he might have done something about it.

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 12:38 PM
Id wait until September. Your hair is dark but when I think of hair it would be a trouble lightening I think of this almost black brown, black, very coarse... yours is just medium and looks fine.
My sister had some sort of ombre done a couple of months ago. It ended up looking copperish and while it didnt look bad it wasnt exactly blonde. Abput 3 weeks ago she went back for a touch up and left with this perfect colour, almost platinum streaks, light enough...just beautiful. It might just be a matter of working over what you already have to fix any details and youll have the pretty hair you longed for. Its already almost as light as needed and roots lighten faster so from now on it will be easier I think. Dont be discouraged... the person will most likely know better what to do by looking at your current state.

Your sister's situation has given me some hope. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

If he said he could do it in a single visit, then this is the color he was expecting and that he wants you to like. If you needed multiple visits, he should have told you so you could plan for your special event accordingly. This sounds a little off in expectations. I'm so sorry it wasn't what you expected. Maybe also you should have told him that this isn't what you want - he might have done something about it.

He wasn't willing to do anything else that day, stating that my hair had been through a lot for one session. I had showed him a photo of what I wanted before we began, and he said we'd get "very close", but did say that I'd have to come back to get all the way there. When I was finished for the day he said something about being 80%-90% of the way there...which I'm not sure I agree with given how yellow it currently looks. I suppose we had different things in mind when he said we'd get "close".

Nellon
July 31st, 2016, 12:38 PM
I think it looks lovely, just a little bit more work needed and it'll be the pretty shade of blonde you want methinks. Just don't despair and do anything crazy... Perhaps get a nice toner and see if you can twerk it a bit to your liking, I bet you can.

diddiedaisy
July 31st, 2016, 12:39 PM
I would say looking at the colour of your natural hair, it was always going to be a two visit thing. I think that it is very common to get that yellow/goldey colour in the first sitting. To be able to go blonde in one visit you need to have natural blonde or very light brown hair. I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does. You may also find that it lightens slightly over the next month. Anyhow, after you have your next visit it will be the colour you want, so in the grand scheme of things it not too long to wait. :)

Pamberpestana
July 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
I think that if he said it's going to take more than one session to get you to the color you want, trust him. I can't see the pics because I'm a newbie but if you are dark, then this is the best way to go if you want to keep atleast some of the integrity of your hair. Doing it all at once can really really really ruin your hair. I'm a hair dresser and I've seen it haha.

I have dark brown hair and when I went blonde a few yrs ago it took me about 3 tries to get what I wanted and even then it ruined my hair

I wish I could see the pics though!! I bet it looks really cute. Also sometimes brassiness an go away after a few washes.

Another thing that can help is a purple shampoo like Shimmer Lights.

Good luck!

Elfa
July 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
My hair does that, it goes very yellow before reaching light blonde or platinum, so it's normal, but with proper toning it does reach a light pearl blond even from yellow.

So it is possible to tone it to a cooler color, but maybe he didn't want to put any pigment on your hair cause you said you wanted it lighter. I don't know, it's what I guess, he seemed trustable from what you said, so I don't wanna think it was a mistake.

Something from my own experience and from hearing some professionals, be always sure to tell everything to the hairstylist. If you're planning an event, tell him/her, because it can happen, particularly with going to very light shades or removing old dyes (I know it wasn't your case, but just as example), that it's not possible to make it in a single session without damaging the hair seriously. A good hairstylist will hear you and will want you to leave the salon satisfied, so don't be shy to tell exactly what you want or even to say you will return another day. It may be difficult or embarrassing, but still better than leaving with something unexpected.

Pamberpestana
July 31st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Another thing is, that when you color hair. The colors follow the color laws still, when you have really dark hair, it has a lot of blues reds and yellows, so when you lighten hair, the blues leave first, making your hair red then orange then yellow then white or pale yellow (some hair can only take so much) so it's totally normal to be yellow.

Also everyone's hair is different. Genetics play a big role, also the amount of color that's been on your hair. Black dyed hair is the hardest to bleach so if you got to a yellow in one go that's pretty awesome :)

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 01:00 PM
I think it looks lovely, just a little bit more work needed and it'll be the pretty shade of blonde you want methinks. Just don't despair and do anything crazy... Perhaps get a nice toner and see if you can twerk it a bit to your liking, I bet you can.

Thank you Nellon :) you are so sweet! I won't do anything crazy or freak out. I haven't tried out any toning type products (like purple shampoo) just yet, so I am hoping those will make a difference until I can get back in the salon.

I would say looking at the colour of your natural hair, it was always going to be a two visit thing. I think that it is very common to get that yellow/goldey colour in the first sitting. To be able to go blonde in one visit you need to have natural blonde or very light brown hair. I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does. You may also find that it lightens slightly over the next month. Anyhow, after you have your next visit it will be the colour you want, so in the grand scheme of things it not too long to wait. :)

Thanks diddiedaisy! You've made me feel quite a bit better. Waiting another month, after waiting 3 years, really isn't too bad. I'm not freaking out...I'm just quite disappointed.

My family has not helped with the situation. My boyfriend saw it first and thought it actually looked pretty good, so I was feeling alright about it (though I still thought it was too yellow). When my family saw it they nearly fainted and instantly began acting like it had been a major blunder on the stylists part, and that it needed to be "fixed". Since then I've become more worried and self-conscious. I hope I'm over-thinking it and that it really doesn't look as bad as I think it does.

I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance that it will look better after the next appointment.

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 01:14 PM
My hair does that, it goes very yellow before reaching light blonde or platinum, so it's normal, but with proper toning it does reach a light pearl blond even from yellow.

So it is possible to tone it to a cooler color, but maybe he didn't want to put any pigment on your hair cause you said you wanted it lighter. I don't know, it's what I guess, he seemed trustable from what you said, so I don't wanna think it was a mistake.

Something from my own experience and from hearing some professionals, be always sure to tell everything to the hairstylist. If you're planning an event, tell him/her, because it can happen, particularly with going to very light shades or removing old dyes (I know it wasn't your case, but just as example), that it's not possible to make it in a single session without damaging the hair seriously. A good hairstylist will hear you and will want you to leave the salon satisfied, so don't be shy to tell exactly what you want or even to say you will return another day. It may be difficult or embarrassing, but still better than leaving with something unexpected.

Thanks Elfa, it is great to hear from anyone who has been through something similar. As long as it is normal then I feel infinitely better.

The event I'm going to isn't such a big deal in terms of my appearance (it's not like my wedding or anything, it's just a music festival type of thing), so I didn't need my hair to be absolutely perfect...which I suppose is why I didn't even think of telling him. It was more like I was excited to be sporting this new, blonde hair for this event. It is not the end of the world by any means, I am just disappointed that it isn't working out the way I had wanted. My own fault I suppose, since I did think my hair was naturally light enough to achieve the blonde I was hoping for. And I was wrong. :P I'm just kicking myself, because if I had known it'd be yellow right now, I would have gone in a month ago and by now it'd be looking better.

Another thing is, that when you color hair. The colors follow the color laws still, when you have really dark hair, it has a lot of blues reds and yellows, so when you lighten hair, the blues leave first, making your hair red then orange then yellow then white or pale yellow (some hair can only take so much) so it's totally normal to be yellow.

Also everyone's hair is different. Genetics play a big role, also the amount of color that's been on your hair. Black dyed hair is the hardest to bleach so if you got to a yellow in one go that's pretty awesome :)

Thank you for your input! :) It's good to know this situation isn't unique. As long as I get a nicer blonde eventually then it'll be okay, I can deal with the yellow for now. I guess I'm realizing my expectations were wrong, and the stylist didn't warn me that my hair would be yellow. I suppose I'm just unpleasantly surprised...but if it will improve then I won't worry about it for the time being. :)

Ana H.
July 31st, 2016, 01:36 PM
I would trust the colorist. I’m not the most qualified person to tell you this, since I’m not a hairstylist and I’ve never bleached my hair. But I’m very interested in cosmetology and watch a lot of professional hairdressing videos. It’s my impression that this kind of multi-step process is totally normal and is probably a good sign that your colorist knows exactly what he’s doing and cares about minimizing damage to your hair. I honestly don’t think it’s a mistake. I’m pretty sure hair has to pass through the orange and yellow stage before it can lift to the blonde you want. Perhaps he could have done it all in one sitting but it probably would have compromised the integrity of your hair. Just my two cents. Again I’m not an expert in this.

pastina
July 31st, 2016, 01:45 PM
Honestly, it's a GREAT sign that they weren't willing to go from faded black dye to light light blonde in one go. They're more concerned that you keep your hair in decent condition than that you get the color you want in one sitting. For real, this stylist seems like a keeper.

Also, I'd advise trying the purple shampoo in the meantime. Completely slather your hair in the stuff, and don't lather it up. Let it sit for a while, like, twenty minutes or so. Then work it in and rinse out in cool water. It can make more of a difference than you're expecting.

Kimberly
July 31st, 2016, 01:49 PM
I had hair a dark enough brown that many people referred to it as black before I started greying. Years ago, I had it bleached paper-white in one session. It cost probably the equivalent of eighty or a hundred dollars today, and was done by two colorists, one on each side of my head working at the same time. This was in order to get all of the very-strong bleach on and then off evenly all over my head fast, without burning my hair or scalp. It worked perfectly -- my hair was absolutely white with no yellow at all, and I had no issues of it breaking off afterwards, either. I maintained it with purple shampoo.

So, yeah, it is possible to bleach your dark hair blonde in one session. It just might take an extra pair of hands, and it will not be inexpensive, but it's doable. The salon I went to for this was very edgy, and did a lot of drastic things for their customers, so they had practice at extreme team bleaching. I imagine if they hadn't coordinated well together I could have ended up looking pretty funny, but at the time I didn't care about the risks (my hair was short and a more renewable resource then).

Seeshami
July 31st, 2016, 01:52 PM
Toned mine with virgin snow manic panic. Now I intentionally dye it yellow orange red purple blue on the ends where it was bleached

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks Ana H., the fact that so many people are saying that this is just a normal stage of the process is making me a feel a lot better. :)

Honestly, it's a GREAT sign that they weren't willing to go from faded black dye to light light blonde in one go. They're more concerned that you keep your hair in decent condition than that you get the color you want in one sitting. For real, this stylist seems like a keeper.

Also, I'd advise trying the purple shampoo in the meantime. Completely slather your hair in the stuff, and don't lather it up. Let it sit for a while, like, twenty minutes or so. Then work it in and rinse out in cool water. It can make more of a difference than you're expecting.

My hair was actually all virgin (aside from the ends which had a bit of faded black dye), but I see what you mean. I do think he was very concerned with keeping my hair in good condition. He was very cautious not to over-do it that day, and didn't even viciously blowdry and style it afterwards. I cannot complain about that at all. :)
I'll try the purple shampoo tomorrow and hopefully it'll calm down the yellow. Thanks for the advice on how to best utilize it. :)

Mirabele
July 31st, 2016, 02:04 PM
It is very common. I was blond and non blond many times. My sister is blond for the most of her life. Yellow happens. I hated that shade of yellow, in my case it was a bit orangey :p It usually takes several sessions to get the shade you wanted originally. And the yellow tone gets to you time after time anyway. many use purple shampoos or get toned for a colder shade to reduce warm yellow. Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed especially after that tou had waited for this so long. maybe try to look at it as a part of the project not a final stage. It will get better. Look at the bright side, you hair has better with less bleach this time.

Ana H.
July 31st, 2016, 02:08 PM
Glad you feel better! I hope the purple shampoo helps in the meantime. :)

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 02:18 PM
It is very common. I was blond and non blond many times. My sister is blond for the most of her life. Yellow happens. I hated that shade of yellow, in my case it was a bit orangey :p It usually takes several sessions to get the shade you wanted originally. And the yellow tone gets to you time after time anyway. many use purple shampoos or get toned for a colder shade to reduce warm yellow. Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed especially after that tou had waited for this so long. maybe try to look at it as a part of the project not a final stage. It will get better. Look at the bright side, you hair has better with less bleach this time.

I think you are right, I need to look at it as part of the process. That's fine...I just wish I had known it in advance. It is so disappointing because I went in there thinking "this is it!! I'll finally have the blonde hair I've always wanted!!!" only to have that not happen. If I'd gone to the appointment knowing it would be the first step towards being blonde, I wouldn't have left feeling disappointed. Live and learn, I guess! I just wish that yellow didn't look so awful on me.

lapushka
July 31st, 2016, 02:24 PM
I think you are right, I need to look at it as part of the process. That's fine...I just wish I had known it in advance. It is so disappointing because I went in there thinking "this is it!! I'll finally have the blonde hair I've always wanted!!!" only to have that not happen. If I'd gone to the appointment knowing it would be the first step towards being blonde, I wouldn't have left feeling disappointed. Live and learn, I guess! I just wish that yellow didn't look so awful on me.

But you did, sort of. He said he'd come close, but he wouldn't be able to get you there that moment. At that point you could have asked for clarification, or walked out. That's what you get, I guess, for feeling optimistic. ;) :D I really feel for you. When's your next appointment? :)

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 02:42 PM
But you did, sort of. He said he'd come close, but he wouldn't be able to get you there that moment. At that point you could have asked for clarification, or walked out. That's what you get, I guess, for feeling optimistic. ;) :D I really feel for you. When's your next appointment? :)

Haha, I guess what I meant is that I wish I'd walked in there thinking "okay it's going to take me a couple of appointments to get a nice shade of blonde, it won't be fabulous today." Instead I walked in thinking "TODAY IS THE DAY I GET THE PERFECT BLONDE!!!" and then, when he said we'd get about 80%-90% of the way there, the fact that meant "YELLOW HAIR" never even crossed my mind. I guess I really was way too optimistic.
My next appointment is September 2nd. As I've said a couple times, I really don't mind the fact that it'll take another session if this whole situation is fairly normal...I guess I'm just very disappointed that after waiting 3 years for this moment it still isn't finished. I wasn't mentally prepared for that, if you know what I mean. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Temme
July 31st, 2016, 02:45 PM
There's only one picture of you blond, but for what it's worth, I think it looks fine. I know people whose natural hair color is a kind of yellowy blond.

lapushka
July 31st, 2016, 03:25 PM
Haha, I guess what I meant is that I wish I'd walked in there thinking "okay it's going to take me a couple of appointments to get a nice shade of blonde, it won't be fabulous today." Instead I walked in thinking "TODAY IS THE DAY I GET THE PERFECT BLONDE!!!" and then, when he said we'd get about 80%-90% of the way there, the fact that meant "YELLOW HAIR" never even crossed my mind. I guess I really was way too optimistic.
My next appointment is September 2nd. As I've said a couple times, I really don't mind the fact that it'll take another session if this whole situation is fairly normal...I guess I'm just very disappointed that after waiting 3 years for this moment it still isn't finished. I wasn't mentally prepared for that, if you know what I mean. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Oh, now I see what you meant. Yeah, optimism, gets you every time! ;)

September is a long time yet, about a month away... oh boy... better get some use out of that purple shampoo. ;) :D
I hope you feel better, somewhat. It'll get better, I'm sure! :D

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 04:25 PM
There's only one picture of you blond, but for what it's worth, I think it looks fine. I know people whose natural hair color is a kind of yellowy blond.

Thank you, that means a lot. :) I think I'll be able to deal with it for a month.

Jennah
July 31st, 2016, 04:51 PM
It is pretty darn yellow.

The stylist did heavy highlights and toned it twice. This final look is not what I was going for. I had seen the stylists work in the past, which looked absolutely gorgeous. He's very experienced and I really trusted him...so what the heck!
Will it be better after the next appointment?

Help? :(

I think you were lucky to go to an experienced guy who didnīt totally fry your hair. It was so dark that you will have to do it in two steps. You were so patient waiting years for the hair to grow, that a month or two to wait for the final result is not so bad. Just use buns etc, and condition treatments a lot!

littlelivething
July 31st, 2016, 05:30 PM
I used to have bleached blonde hair. My natural color is dark brown, nearly black, and it took me two applications to get to that yellowy color. I wore my hair very short at the time, so I can't really speak to what will work for longer hair. Using an ash blonde drug store permanent dye always got rid of the brassiness, but putting dye in your hair so soon after bleach wreaks havoc on your scalp and is probably not all that great for your hair either. However this worked much better for me than toner, thinned out purple dye, etc.

SpiderMonkey
July 31st, 2016, 05:54 PM
I had a similar experience. Every time I went blonde before, I had dyed it myself at home, but in this incident I had some leftover red\brown dye on my hair, so I went to a professional for the first time. After 6 hours of bleaching and toning, I walked out with white and orange striped hair, and my hair was a wreck. Told me the same thing, come back in 6 weeks. I put up with the horrible streaks for about 48 hours and tried purple shampoo\conditioner, but it still looked awful. So on the third day I bought some ash blonde box dye and it finally looked better.

pastina
July 31st, 2016, 05:59 PM
Please don't use a box dye. Seriously. Please wait for your next appointment. Yellow is normal- it's part of the process of going lighter. Waiting for the next appointment will help you preserve the integrity of your hair. A box might help you get the color you want, but it also might NOT, and it WILL do damage. If you want to avoid frying your hair, and possibly a chemical cut, you should let your hair rest and not use anything with peroxide for the time being. Just stick with the purple shampoo.

Kiiruna
July 31st, 2016, 06:06 PM
I already commented in the other thread, but I think I'll comment again ;)
It's yellowish - but the dye job itself looks nice and even. It's completely normal to go yellow when bleaching. I think this (click) (http://static.naturallycurly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/blonde-undertones-650x400.jpg) picture sums it up pretty nicely: each level of hair colours have their own base pigment.

It's great that you have a hairdresser who doesn't bleach the living crap out of your hair in one session - now you can baby your hair. Use toning conditioners as deep conditioning treatments. I left one color mask (no peroxide) sit for three ours - got rid of most of the redness back then, but your hair might turn to greyish/blueish/purpleish if you keep a purple conditioner etc. for that long :) Purple conditioners and direct dye toners (such as Manic Panic's Virgin Snow, as Seeshami mentioned) don't cause any excess damage to your hair. Toning really makes a biiiiig difference!

edit:
If you decide to use something like Manic Panic's Virgin Snow or other high-pigmented super stuff, do your research with your best pal Google to get some tips and advices :)

Elfa
July 31st, 2016, 06:27 PM
Please don't use a box dye. Seriously. Please wait for your next appointment. Yellow is normal- it's part of the process of going lighter. Waiting for the next appointment will help you preserve the integrity of your hair. A box might help you get the color you want, but it also might NOT, and it WILL do damage. If you want to avoid frying your hair, and possibly a chemical cut, you should let your hair rest and not use anything with peroxide for the time being. Just stick with the purple shampoo.

I'm with pastina here!! Do listen to the colorful heads, they usually have been through a lot already lol

Really, don't worry, the yellow is normal in the middle of the way of going light.
I wouldn't recommend box dye for you, when it comes to hair, the less you do, the better. Just purple shampoo should be enough to tone down the yellow, do some treatments to keep it strong until your appointment and you will be fine! And do post your photos in September :o

blue_eyes
July 31st, 2016, 07:09 PM
Thank you for all the reassurance!! :grouphug:

Don't worry Elfa, pastina, and kiiruna! :) I won't be putting boxed dye on my hair. In the past I have been through some pretty crazy things with boxed dye and bleach, and this time I wanted to do things properly (i.e. with one stylist and virgin hair). I really didn't think I'd go in with virgin hair, and walk out with hair that was so yellow. I think I just needed some reassurance that this was normal and that it will get better.

I'll likely try the purple shampoo tomorrow and see how it goes. I will definitely be going to the next appointment.

The odd thing, that keeps going through my mind, is how nonchalant the stylist was about the yellow color. He was very pleased with what he'd achieved in one day (which is fine), but he sort of acted like I was good to go until my roots had grown out and needed to be done (6-8 weeks). He said he'd touch up certain sections that were harder to lift when I came back...but he didn't say anything about it being yellow. I think that's what makes me feel so uneasy. Does he not see how yellow it is?! Does he think this is what I wanted?! I will absolutely be bringing this up when I go back (and will probably bring some other pictures), but it concerns me that he didn't seem to think the yellow was an issue whatsoever, nor did I get any reassurance about it from him.

littlestarface
July 31st, 2016, 08:09 PM
Can you call him and confirm with him that his plan is to make you go lighter? Just to make sure your both on the same page without you having to wait so long before you get seen again.

blue_eyes
August 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM
Can you call him and confirm with him that his plan is to make you go lighter? Just to make sure your both on the same page without you having to wait so long before you get seen again.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I did show him a photo of what I was going for, and it was obviously very light blonde (and not yellow), so I would think he would know this needs to be fixed. But if I've learned anything, it's not to assume.

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 08:53 AM
Yup, bleaching to blonde is always a tricky thing... when I dyed my hair brunette and tried to go back to blonde to grow out my natural color, I ended up with fluorescent orange followed by yellow. Two bleachings in one day, got the first one done and it looked okay post-toning... then it oxidized. So I went back in tears a few hours later and they bleached it again free of charge. It's best to spread out those sessions, trust me! That hair was a hot mess :lol:

Stormynights
August 1st, 2016, 10:25 AM
All hair is different. Some hair can take a lot of abuse and some can't take much at all. It is impossible to know for sure what is going to happen when you put bleach on hair. With a lot of experience you can make a pretty good guess but only an educated guess. To know for sure will require a strand test. The bleach will remove the natural oils and you do need some natural oils and there is no substitute. This is why it is necessary to wait between processes. As the hair waits the color will change some. That yellow will smooth out a little so it will improve on its own without doing anything. You do need to do some heavy conditioning. I am sure you will end up with beautiful blond hair. It is better to take time than to destroy your hair. I was a hairstylist for many years and I experimented with hair left on the floor after a haircut. I always had color bowls sitting in the back with my concoctions to test hair. This helped me to learn a lot but still I could only make educated guesses. All hair is different. Long hair is even more of a challenge. The farther out from the roots you get the harder it is to process the same as near to the scalp.

blue_eyes
August 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the responses/encouragement. I used purple shampoo this morning while washing coconut oil out of my hair. The results:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24153&d=1470069250

Not perfect, but I think it looks more bearable than before. It's given me some hope that things will improve. :P

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 10:41 AM
Well it looks great! :D

blue_eyes
August 1st, 2016, 10:44 AM
Well it looks great! :D

Yeah I feel quite a bit better!! I think it looks more yellow in person than in that photo, but it's a heck of a lot better than the canary yellow it had been previously! :)

Elfa
August 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM
Looks beautiful! :o

Jennah
August 1st, 2016, 03:48 PM
Wow, itīs almost like you donīt even have to go to that guy anymore! Looking great! A a few more applications of that shampoo and conditioning, and imagine that!

blue_eyes
August 2nd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Looks beautiful! :o

Thanks!

Wow, itīs almost like you donīt even have to go to that guy anymore! Looking great! A a few more applications of that shampoo and conditioning, and imagine that!

It's still quite a bit yellow in some areas (hard to see in the photo, I think it was washed out by the lighting). I hope he can lighten those areas at the next appointment, and get the blonde to cool down a bit more. I think some of the sections are just too yellow for the shampoo to tackle on its own.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM
My natural blonde has a lot of yellow in it, so I think your current color looks fine. I hope you get what you want, though.

missrandie
August 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM
It looks great!

Seriously, I find purple shampoo to be almost a miracle product. lol.

blue_eyes
August 2nd, 2016, 10:55 AM
My natural blonde has a lot of yellow in it, so I think your current color looks fine. I hope you get what you want, though.

I actually don't mind the yellow too much, and I've seen lots of beautiful blondes that are on the yellow side, I think my only concern is that yellow doesn't look good on me. It tends to make me look sickly, which is why I was going for an ashier/cool-toned blonde. I do think it will improve though, so for now I'm feeling okay with it. :)

It looks great!

Seriously, I find purple shampoo to be almost a miracle product. lol.

Thank you!! Purple shampoo is pretty incredible, isn't it? :) I'm really impressed with how much it's toned down the yellow.

Kimberly
August 2nd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Congrats on the effective use of that purple shampoo. Your color is very pretty.

Ana H.
August 2nd, 2016, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses/encouragement. I used purple shampoo this morning while washing coconut oil out of my hair. The results:

Not perfect, but I think it looks more bearable than before. It's given me some hope that things will improve. :P

Oh my yes! It looks so much better. I love the color. And your hair looks so beautiful and healthy in spite of the bleach.:)