PDA

View Full Version : madora detangler comb

groovylocks
July 30th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I have read mentions of this comb, l looked it up online, and there does not seem to be much if a description of it, just that it is a sturdy wide toothed comb.

for its price I would like to know more about it.

to those who have this comb, what is it made of? is it anti static? it seems like it is some kind of plastic, but is it anti static?

is it truely seamless? I read on thread here that somone uses a pillow case test, and found some seamless combs to be rough.

can it get wet? is it durable in that it would not break if it was dropped on a hard floor?

is it better than an eternally in amber comb? they are half as much and very pretty.

my hair is long, heavy, thick and wavy/curley. I have used plastic "seamless" comb in the past and it snapped in half, so I need something that is very strong.

SpiderMonkey
July 31st, 2016, 12:37 AM
I have had my Madora comb for about 14 years, and still the only comb I use. It is plastic I believe, but not a cheap plastic like a Goody comb. It is thick and very durable. Mine has been wet, dropped, stolen by a toddler and thrown against walls...I would bet money that it could be run over by a car or an anvil dropped on it, and it would be fine.

Yes, it is seamless. Has never caught in my hair. I'm not sure about the anti static part, but I haven't had any static problems while using it. I have never tried bending it in half or anything, but it does bend without breaking.

I have fairly thick wavy hair, that has broken many brushes. This comb is the most durable hair tool I have owned. I don't know about the eternally in amber combs, since I haven't had to buy any since the Madora.

The only non durable part of the comb is the gold writing along the side that said Madora. It is long gone from use and age. The color is still a pretty ivory.

Decoy24601
July 31st, 2016, 01:53 AM
I can't speak for Madora combs, but my wide-tooth EIA comb is fairly sturdy. As long as you are careful and detangle from the ends first and slowly work your way up, it shouldn't snap. My hair isn't nearly as wavy as yours, but it would take quite a bit of force to break the wide-tooth EIA comb. Their finer tooth combs are thinner though and feel a bit flimsy, but I don't use it to detangle anyways. EIA combs are made out of acetate and they glide through my hair effortlessly. They're not anti-static, but they're much better than any other plastic comb or brush I've ever used.

lapushka
July 31st, 2016, 04:26 AM
The Hairsense bone volume comb is a near-to exact dupe of this comb, and it costs about 12 dollars.

It's this one:
http://hairsense.com/product/volume-comb/

Nini
July 31st, 2016, 04:45 AM
I've had my Madora comb for about ten years. It's lost three tines, but other than that it's perfect. I think it's the #116, a sturdy widetooth one. That combined with a finetooth wooden comb is all I need.

And it was seamless when I got it.

Deborah
July 31st, 2016, 10:28 AM
Groovy Locks,

I have had my Madora comb for many years, and love it. It looks like ivory, but I am sure it is some sort of plastic. I have wooden and most of the other types, but the Madora really is nicer than any other comb I have ever used.

Lapushka,

The Madora comb is very different from the comb you show. It does not look anything like it, and has much thicker teeth.

meteor
July 31st, 2016, 11:44 AM
Never tried it, but I'd love to know how it compares in performance to other popular seamless combs made of similar materials, for example, Hercules Sagemann (Jumbo Rake) or some of the wide-tooth Hairsense combs?

LongCurlyTress
July 31st, 2016, 11:50 AM
I have very similar hair as you do, Groovylocks.... and I absolutely love my Madora #116 comb. In fact, I have two of the same comb... one for in the shower and one for detangling and combing evoo through damp hair. I drop my comb, on accident...;( all the time in the shower due to conditioner making it slippery and it is tough as nails. The teeth are seamless, thick and sturdy and there is even a thumb hold along the spine. ;) Worth every penny and I do not buy many hairtoys etc. so I splurged on these two and never regretted my decision! I say go for it!! :o

ETA I think I paid $35 for each comb (including shipping) from Madora in NYCity, but as I stated above, I really don't buy alot (if any) hairtoys or special hair products so this to me is more important and I think of it as an investment. Plus I honestly don't think I will ever have to buy another detangling haircomb!! :happydance: So, quite worth the investment, imo. ;)

Here is the link where I purchased my Madora comb #116 (cream). I guess it/they were $25 each plus shipping. I think they were sooo worth it!! ;)

http://madoralonghair.com/shop/page/3

Many people really do love the Hairsense, Hercules Sagemann and Eternally in Amber haircombs, but I have never had them so I am not sure how they compare to the Madora comb. The fact that they cost less (I think??) is definitely a plus! :happydance:

lapushka
July 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM
Lapushka,

The Madora comb is very different from the comb you show. It does not look anything like it, and has much thicker teeth.

It comes close enough though, if you can't afford the Madora comb. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 22nd, 2020, 07:55 AM
For those of you who might be wanting to purchase a Madora comb but are having difficulty in finding one, may I recommend this comb - it's not a Madora, but I would say it's every bit as good, certainly seamless, strong, sturdy, lighter than the Madora, and from what I can see it has no roughness between the tines. Also beautifully made and polished - it's made from buffalo horn (horn is essentially a similar substance to hair) and so gentle on hair, and doesn't produce static. The combs are all different in colouring (They remind me of the beauty of natural tortoiseshell), and I would certainly recommend this one. They are all individually hand made. It's from Lylycrafts on Etsy:

https://i.imgur.com/ObRUgWb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6vb2HS4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AlaB4GO.jpg

knobbly
February 22nd, 2020, 11:56 AM
Oh that’s nice, Sarah! Very shiny.

Ligeia Noire
February 22nd, 2020, 03:48 PM
That's perfect Sarah. i know i won't use it much but I may buy one just to adorn my dresser.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 22nd, 2020, 03:53 PM
That's perfect Sarah. i know i won't use it much but I may buy one just to adorn my dresser.

Well, it may surprise you! :)

Kalamazoo
February 22nd, 2020, 04:01 PM
Or here's an extra-wide-toothed buffalo horn from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Wide-Toothed-Comb-Anti-Static-Buffalo-Horn-Comb-Message-Horn-Hair-Comb/383013486911?hash=item592d62013f:g:qWYAAOSwW4ddCcJ h They have several others. Just seach for "horn comb" & whatever tooth spacing you want...

Strands
February 22nd, 2020, 04:53 PM
Wow these are pretty - I just use a bamboo comb. :)

bparnell75
February 23rd, 2020, 08:49 AM
Wow these are pretty - I just use a bamboo comb. :)

Hey good o see you back STrands. Missed you/

LadyLongLocks
February 27th, 2020, 01:10 PM
I have the Madora comb and it is the best comb I own. If you can find one GET IT! I have about 20 different combs just to test them and the MADORA is the best. Its thicker, no seams anywhere,easy to hold, beautiful and sturdy.
I just did a video showing it as 1 of 4 of my favorites. (it IS my favorite) and plus its a George Michael product. Even the history of the comb is great.
The comb is shown here in THIS VIDEO (https://youtu.be/xZ2BEwViDEQ)."4 combs combing floor length hair."
I just posted this video recently. Another good choice is eternally in amber combs, which are shown if the Madora is unavailable or too costly.
:applauseYou can clearly see the quality of the combs in this HD VIDEO
I have used the comb so much the name is somewhat worn off but you will know which one it is since its ivory color.
Check the Enchantress long hair salon for it too. :)

MusicalSpoons
February 27th, 2020, 04:50 PM
Ooh hi LadyLongLocks, nice to 'meet' you! :waving: Would you mind measuring the gap between the teeth on the EIA comb you use in the video please?